Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Lets talk about how autoresolve shouldnt be that efficient

2»

Comments

• FlurryFlurry Registered Users Posts: 70
    It should be:

high losses in an even battle

low losses with a far superior army

At the moment it really is far too strong, just yesterday i had a big fight with 2 chaos stacks chosen, lancers, giants and so on rly strong armies and i had a rly strong army too demis, steamtank, longswords, handgunners, luminarch and 2 stacks of low quality units from kislev helping me. First i fought the battle, kislevs units just got demolished simply because their starting points were **** and i couldnt get there in time then i positioned to fith both surviving armies. I won but with loosing 3 whole units and most units near death. I think i played rather well but the start positions were unfavorable and cost me a lot. i saved and tried the same thing with auto and ... not a single unit lost, 95 % win chance. I then went with the autoresolve...

Its far too efficient. im pretty sure that even the best players would not have achieved 0 losses vs those armies but autoresolve managed easily. It should be a nice way of not having to play fights heavily in my favor but 2 stacks elite vs 1 stack elite and 2 stacks **** sounds more like an even battle then anything else and should not have 95% winchance without losses
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 13,595
    Hmm. Honestly, it does prove tempting sometimes. Especially on really large battles where my computer slows down badly...

But that being said, there are some reasons for this. I imagine that the AI also uses autoresolve to deal with each other, yes? By having it be more decisive for the one with the better army, it lets the AI do better generally, perhaps? And so pose more of a threat to you than if you were to run into two weakened and depleted factions.

So there could be a good reason for it.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,021
    But why not just have the player and the AI operate on a seperate set of Auto Resolve rules?
    Krunch said:

But why not just have the player and the AI operate on a seperate set of Auto Resolve rules?

Could do, but, why the extra hassle?
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • ozgodozgod Registered Users Posts: 3
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I always suffer a decisive defeat when I autoresolve. Only way I win is if I significantly outnumber the opponent.
  • FlurryFlurry Registered Users Posts: 70
    Canuovea said:

Krunch said:

well to make the game more fun ofc :-)
    Flurry said:

Canuovea said:

Krunch said:

well to make the game more fun ofc :-)
    Adding more other types of content makes the game more fun too!
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,254
    ozgod said:

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I always suffer a decisive defeat when I autoresolve. Only way I win is if I significantly outnumber the opponent.

I bet you play VC's.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 3,381
    I mentioned this in another post, but Total War actually has two formulas for calculating who should win a battle.

1) The formula for determining whether the AI wants to fight a battle or retreat;
    2) The Auto-resolve formula.

These two formulas are not the same. The AI will often try to fight a battle it thinks it will win due to having elite troops (and wins the battle under formula #1) whereas that same battle would be a loss under auto-resolve due to being outnumbered by peasant spearmen or a horde of goblins.

I think the formula for #1, the AI choice to fight or flee, is a pretty good formula. I think the Auto Resolve still needs work (although the improvements in the patch to keep heroes and single monsters alive longer were very welcome).

• Aragorn1ringAragorn1ring Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 287
    As for me, I feel the battles are very hard in this game and I'm not a total War noob at all. I play only VC and on VH. The AI I think gets insane bonuses to leadership. I can flank, even surround a group of swordsman and they dont break for a while. Meanwhile, where my line is thinner and I'm going 1v1, my units are losing to more swordsman and faster than the surrounded swordsman! Forget about Chosen or Giants!! Pretty sure they AI doesnt even need a 20 stack of them.
  • Wolfshart79Wolfshart79 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 511

As for me, I feel the battles are very hard in this game and I'm not a total War noob at all. I play only VC and on VH. The AI I think gets insane bonuses to leadership. I can flank, even surround a group of swordsman and they dont break for a while. Meanwhile, where my line is thinner and I'm going 1v1, my units are losing to more swordsman and faster than the surrounded swordsman! Forget about Chosen or Giants!! Pretty sure they AI doesnt even need a 20 stack of them.

How is that relevant to auto resolve?... I'm not seeing the connection unless you are saying you like it as is as a way to easy mode through hard battles...