Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Find the Beastmen DLC too expensive?

Comments

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 26,018
    edited July 2016
    If I buy a X-brand car and half the interior is suddenly missing when picking it up - the response of the dealer being: "well, Y sold his cars without half the interior as well", that's hardly going to be of any solace.
    Don't buy that car then.

Whoops.

• SaphironSaphiron Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 827
    I'm not spending $21 Canadian for a pack... I was ready to accept their already high race pack pricing for warhammer because I like warhammer, I'd even accept like $15.00.

$21.00 is just unreasonable. It's one pack. There will be others. How much do they really expect us to spend on DLC by the end of the game?

I want to support warhammer, but there's a limit, a single race should not be $21.00.
    Foofight said:

Poor ppl, this dlc cost as much as ONE ticket to any movies. You get 2 hours of joy there, with this dlc you will get 50? 100? Stop beeing so ****... Get a job and you can afford 17 euro a month for entertainment.

Which is the same argument you'd make if they were $30.00 each. Fact is we all work hard for our cash, and in the end even if we want to support something, the pricing has to be reasonable.

A lot of people are pretty shocked by how much higher it is than expected, more than twice the cost in Canada of packs in other games which always went for $8.79. And I want to support them, I'd spend $12 or $15, but there's an upper limit.

And that's just for one pack.

I have money, I don't blow it without thinking though, and this isn't a reasonable price point.
  • MasqueradeMasquerade Registered Users Posts: 292
    edited July 2016
    Saphiron said:

Foofight said:

Poor ppl, this dlc cost as much as ONE ticket to any movies. You get 2 hours of joy there, with this dlc you will get 50? 100? Stop beeing so ****... Get a job and you can afford 17 euro a month for entertainment.

Which is the same argument you'd make if they were $30.00 each. Fact is we all work hard for our cash, and in the end even if we want to support something, the pricing has to be reasonable.

A lot of people are pretty shocked by how much higher it is than expected, more than twice the cost in Canada of packs in other games which always went for $8.79. And I want to support them, I'd spend $12 or $15, but there's an upper limit.

I have money, I don't blow it without thinking though, and this isn't a reasonable price point.
    Yet people seem to be completely okay with paying more then 20 bucks if it meant the roster being full. So honestly at this point it's just pointless whining. If it's to expansive save up some money this month and wait till your next pay check and buy it no one said you had to buy it on release day. If of course you want to wait for sale go ahead you will still end up buying it after whining for a month or two.

Saphiron said:

Foofight said:

Yet people seem to be completely okay with paying more then 20 bucks if it meant the roster being full. So honestly at this point it's just pointless whining. If it's to expansive save up some money this month and wait till your next pay check and buy it no one said you had to buy it on release day. If of course you want to wait for sale go ahead you will still end up buying it after whining for a month or two.
    That's exactly what I'll do, get it for $5 in six months. And I don't have to wait on a paycheck, I just know the value of a dollar, so keep the insults to yourself... but that doesn't make it cool that they're trying to charge such a massive price hike just because they can. It's one race with 15 unique units for $21.00. That's higher than any other dev I can think of.

You might be cool with dropping a few hundred bucks by the end of the game's life, and that's your choice, but it doesn't make it okay.
  • ShogokiKoaShogokiKoa Registered Users Posts: 91
    Errr ... OP, you do realise that if people don't buy the game and do not say a word either, the result can range from

"Welp, Total War is out, time to stop that franchise"

to

"Damn, I guess having the new minotaur model be left handed only sunk our DLC. Better double all animations to have all units left and right handed even if we have to price the DLC at 45$ for that extra work. That's what the customers want."

Which in all honesty would not help much, either customer nor CA.
  • GingerRoeBroGingerRoeBro Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,041
    They could just ask, polling helps :P
    Bigger Budget for game 3?

They're gonna need it for all of the monogod glory.
    Which will be the "4 distinct gods representing the different aspects of Chaos such as Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, and Nurgle." :blush: ^CA quote

Thank you CA for seeing them as what they truly are.
    Let the Games Begin!
    https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/The_Great_Game
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394
    a lot of people are comparing this to a witcher3 DLC which doesn't make much sense to me, so what do people think about the relative content vs EUIV: Art of War DLC, which is £14:99 compared to £13:99.
    Both are clearly priced on expected sales vs time it will take one specific area of the game with the other features rapped around to match.

Art of war comes out mostly positive while interestingly a very similar in score cossacks is slated for being over priced (even though I expect most are down to some odd design decisions)

Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 26,018
    edited July 2016
    Saphiron said:

Foofight said:

This is not the first WH-related videogame and prices for others in that category were similar. There should have been no shock if people were really as invested in WH as they claim.

If you don't find the price reasonable, don't buy it. Whining on the forum is cheap, denying yourself what you want badly is hard, but actually the only way to send a clear message.

• SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,640

Yet people seem to be completely okay with paying more then 20 bucks if it meant the roster being full.

Correction: They say they are. If CA's announcement had these units included with the price say 30 bucks or whatever...do you think the complaints about mini-campaign wouldn't appear? I think they would be louder. I've seen arguments going so far as "Rome 2's release was horrible, give me this Attila dlc for free." Heck, it can go back to Empire, even.
    Basically, it's never okay. We had blood and gore for a tiny amount, complaints. We have Bretonnia available in custom and multiplayer battles, not good enough, why not campaign yet? We miraculously got modding support, but it's not good enough. We get a free unit, but it wasn't 3 or 4 units, so it's bad.
    It's just rhetoric's. :)
    Don't worry.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,559
    Setrus said:

We get a free unit, but it wasn't 3 or 4 units, so it's bad.

Actually, Blood Knights should have been in VC roster from the start. Its only cav. No special skeleton needed. They even hold VC until warhammer is about to released.

I thought free unit lc are the monsters of chaos warriors and other units alongside blood knights since they require special attention.

Anyways, im not complaining about blood knights, i just said my opinion...

• VincentNZVincentNZ Registered Users Posts: 953
    As said before you can not make claims for other people and you can NOT compare a DLC with going out boozing or to the movies. It is not comparable.

It is all about if, after all the info you gathered, it is worth the 17€ to you.
  • Farrugia88Farrugia88 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    I have always hated mini campaigns in any of the Total War games. Why can't you avoid these and just focus on making more provinces, races and slowly expanding the main campaign world?

Why can't I choose what I want to buy from the DLC? I just want the new race on the world map. Like for Chaos and other race packs for other titles.

If I want to play the mini campaign then I should have to pay that as well. But I don't, I have no interest in that.

I don't want to be buying something that I will not play, that seems really unfair and forced on.

I don't know about other players, but I didn't want the developers spending time on a "mini" campaign where there are so many more things to add into the world. Seems like such a waste of time and a money grab.
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,640
    jamreal18 said:

Setrus said:

We get a free unit, but it wasn't 3 or 4 units, so it's bad.

Actually, Blood Knights should have been in VC roster from the start. Its only cav. No special skeleton needed. They even hold VC until warhammer is about to released.

I thought free unit lc are the monsters of chaos warriors and other units alongside blood knights since they require special attention.

Anyways, im not complaining about blood knights, i just said my opinion...

As should beastmen, as should wood elves, as should high elves, as should Ogre Kingdoms, as should deamons, as should flagellants, as should Tomb Kings, as shoudl Bretonnia, as should...

Suuure you didn't.
    Don't worry.
  • PlaidShirtsPlaidShirts Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 280

I have always hated mini campaigns in any of the Total War games. Why can't you avoid these and just focus on making more provinces, races and slowly expanding the main campaign world?

Why can't I choose what I want to buy from the DLC? I just want the new race on the world map. Like for Chaos and other race packs for other titles.

If I want to play the mini campaign then I should have to pay that as well. But I don't, I have no interest in that.

I don't want to be buying something that I will not play, that seems really unfair and forced on.

I don't know about other players, but I didn't want the developers spending time on a "mini" campaign where there are so many more things to add into the world. Seems like such a waste of time and a money grab.

If they grab a bunch of money from it, it surely was not a waste of time. Not from a business perspective. And I like mini campaigns personally.

But I do understand the desire for choice to buy one or the other, since you have no interest in half of the product.
  • Grave_DiggerGrave_Digger Registered Users Posts: 561
    If the pricetag continues for future DLC that means that 3 races are more expensive than the base game?

kkthxbye
  • PerfectVictoryPerfectVictory Registered Users Posts: 121

If the pricetag continues for future DLC that means that 3 races are more expensive than the base game?

kkthxbye

What is so hard for you to understand that there is a stand alone campaign that is part of it too?

okthxbye
  • RadiousRadious Senior Member Czech RepublicRegistered Users Posts: 1,281
    Adding 3-5 more unique missing units to Beastmen and instead of super tiny campaign with 1 playable faction only adding more provinces and areas to GC would result in total happiness of majority - no rage about poor roster, no rage about useless campaign and no rage about expensive dlc. Proper rosters and additions to GC (instead of making tiny new ones) is what most players want adn always asked for.
    Radious said:

Adding 3-5 more unique missing units to Beastmen and instead of super tiny campaign with 1 playable faction only adding more provinces and areas to GC would result in total happiness of majority - no rage about poor roster, no rage about useless campaign and no rage about expensive dlc. Proper rosters and additions to GC (instead of making tiny new ones) is what most players want adn always asked for.

Come on Radious. They spent their time doing something that you, as a well known modder, cannot do. You cannot create a storyline campaign for this game. You CAN mod an existing faction with new units. Therefore, the biggest gripe coming from folks is about something that someone can mod into the game.

The GC is going to be expanded, we KNOW this. So really, your argument comes down to the unit listing and THAT can be modded.

CA chose to spend their time on this project in making something that you Modders can not make for us. I personally see nothing wrong with that. Why someone like you, Radious, doesn't give CA any credit for this.....well I just cannot understand that.
  • RadiousRadious Senior Member Czech RepublicRegistered Users Posts: 1,281

Radious said:

Come on Radious. They spent their time doing something that you, as a well known modder, cannot do. You cannot create a storyline campaign for this game. You CAN mod an existing faction with new units. Therefore, the biggest gripe coming from folks is about something that someone can mod into the game.

The GC is going to be expanded, we KNOW this. So really, your argument comes down to the unit listing and THAT can be modded.

CA chose to spend their time on this project in making something that you Modders can not make for us. I personally see nothing wrong with that. Why someone like you, Radious, doesn't give CA any credit for this.....well I just cannot understand that.
    New units can be made, but only with current animations and models (creating new is not possible), so that key lore missing units nobody can create. No tools for that sofar an no words if they ever come, sam for not campaign tools yes. So this can only CA do.

Well its nice CA is doing something for the game ofcourse (and ofcourse they are not doing for free), but i can express myself when i think this "something" should be in my opinion "something" else. :-) If mini campaigns are what people really want and love, perfect, so be it, lets have then 10 more. I dont like them so i dont wish them as future content, i wish other things. Its just 1 opinion between many. :-)

• wraithzswraithzs Member Registered Users Posts: 65
    edited July 2016
    Isn't opinion great hope it boost how each individual thinks but it can be a massive bane for the developers because no matter what you do you can't appease all your customers :D
  • DMA64DMA64 Registered Users Posts: 71

Don't buy it then.

Was that so hard?

Sorry but that is not realy a solution, people obviously want it - so not buying it isn`t a solution for this problem.
  • Galvanized IronGalvanized Iron Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,058
    Only way to make these reskinned horde Orkz worth the price is if you also factor in any FLC as part of the content, but that is a weird business model.

Seriously all the original factions got their own mechanics so why are they suddenly dropping all ambition and just use renamed mechanics. It is just so disappointing. I could even agree to a higher price if they really did offer something new.

By comparison the blood DLC was totally worth the price as it added new content. So yeah this isn't about money, this is about lack of effort.
    |Sith|Lord|Galvanized Iron
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,559
    Valeli said:

Wow.

- Medieval 2.
    It's tough saying what TW game I'd pick, although I know I'd pick one of them. I almost want to say Shogun 1, because it created the whole franchise and set everything in motion (ala DQ 1). I also almost want to say Med 1.... but when it comes to it, Med 2 is the one I remember best out of all the "older" ones (if you can call ~2006 old). My M1 memories are very hazy.

I wouldn't object to claims that others in the series were better, but Med 2 (and it's mods) is the game in the I spent the most time with. I even started up a campaign two days ago (that I probably won't continue, but hey). I'm also biased, because this is my favorite TW Era. I know lots of people might pick Rome 1 instead. Or Shogun 2. Both of which were also great.

The sad thing is some user is saying that its a failure...

Rome1/Med2, the two worst titles in the franchise, have stupid, ignorant mechanics.

• twwatchertwwatcher Registered Users Posts: 2,387

Only way to make these reskinned horde Orkz worth the price is if you also factor in any FLC as part of the content, but that is a weird business model.

Seriously all the original factions got their own mechanics so why are they suddenly dropping all ambition and just use renamed mechanics. It is just so disappointing. I could even agree to a higher price if they really did offer something new.

By comparison the blood DLC was totally worth the price as it added new content. So yeah this isn't about money, this is about lack of effort.

There are a few new mechanics I think:
    - Hidden Encampment stance
    - Defile post battle option letting you have a sort of base for a horde
    - The moon thing – this does look like a bit of fluff

Customising existing mechanism with beastly flavour makes sense to me so getting beast paths and beastly rage meter sounds good, certainly differentiates them from CW and being a horde I don’t think it will be just like playing a copy and paste Greenskin campaign.

The nature of game design dictates as more and more is added more reuse becomes possible – if something works first time like underway movement then why not reuse it. It does work slightly different as it looks like you can attack in this stance.
  • frankeleefrankelee Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 11
    Other people not doing what you want them to? Saying things you don't like? Well them put up a flamepost about it and whine. Like the OP!

Sad that I've seen moderator comments about fanboy posts, but high quality, no substance flame bait like this thread's starting comment are given the all clear.
  • sigrsigr Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 714
    "Don't like don't buy" is, to be frank, some of the most destructive advice I've heard. Offering people an ultimatum - buy a product your not convinced by, or don't buy at all, does not help the consumer, only encourages lazyness, in the way complacency often does. Rather, it is better to negotiate and suggest improvements, rather than to flat out not buy.
    <insert witty signature>
    Team Parthia
    Team England
    Team Maratha Confederacy
    Team Ikko-Ikki
    Team Something-Something-Germanic
    Team Tomb King, but until then Greenskin

Please return the Parthian avatar to the profile picture choices.
    sigr said:

"Don't like don't buy" is, to be frank, some of the most destructive advice I've heard. Offering people an ultimatum - buy a product your not convinced by, or don't buy at all, does not help the consumer, only encourages lazyness, in the way complacency often does. Rather, it is better to negotiate and suggest improvements, rather than to flat out not buy.

The point is to do both. You can sit here and suggest improvements all you like but if everyone complains as loudly as some are here but then everyone still goes and buys the DLC then all those complaints will have zero affect.

If you are only going to do one or the other than you are better off simply not buying it. So, for a lot of folks around here....talk is cheap, back it up and don't buy the DLC otherwise their talk truly will be cheap and have no affect what so ever.

You may not like the sound of that but it's the simple truth of how things work.
  • sigrsigr Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 714

sigr said:

The point is to do both. You can sit here and suggest improvements all you like but if everyone complains as loudly as some are here but then everyone still goes and buys the DLC then all those complaints will have zero affect.

If you are only going to do one or the other than you are better off simply not buying it. So, for a lot of folks around here....talk is cheap, back it up and don't buy the DLC otherwise their talk truly will be cheap and have no affect what so ever.

You may not like the sound of that but it's the simple truth of how things work.
    I think you may have misquoted me. I never suggested the point wasn't to do both - I was responding to the OP who suggested that "That means that you're now arguing from a losing minority position and your complaints will most likely fall on deaf ears", and that if we feel the DLC could do with improving we shouldn't buy it.
    <insert witty signature>
    Team Parthia
    Team England
    Team Maratha Confederacy
    Team Ikko-Ikki
    Team Something-Something-Germanic
    Team Tomb King, but until then Greenskin

Please return the Parthian avatar to the profile picture choices.
    sigr said:

sigr said:

I think you may have misquoted me. I never suggested the point wasn't to do both - I was responding to the OP who suggested that "That means that you're now arguing from a losing minority position and your complaints will most likely fall on deaf ears", and that if we feel the DLC could do with improving we shouldn't buy it.
    Ahh, ok. Thanks for the explanation. First and foremost, I am for personal rights. A person can buy the dlc. A person can not buy the dlc. A person can complain about the dlc. A person can complain about the dlc and still buy it. A person can complain about the dlc and not buy it.

A person can do any of the above and it's all good. I guess my point would be, and perhaps you agree, that buying the dlc after complaining heavily about it will not have much affect at all on CA's future dlc practices. If the goal of folks is to actually affect change then complaining and not buying the dlc would be the way to go for them and they would have to hope that a large number of people choose not to purchase the dlc as well.

I think you should make whatever choice you feel comfortable with. For myself, I already preordered but I am holding out some hope that those who wish to take up the fight will have some affect so that more man hours are spent upon The Wood Elfs before it releases in a couple months.