Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Difference between a norscan a kurgan?

Neolucifer2000Neolucifer2000 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 956
I know a norscan lives in norsca and a kurgan is a nomad belonging in steppe in the chaos wastes but what is the difference in term of appearence? I mean both look like "chaos maruders"...half naked like conan and a big axe...I thought they would have some sort of armor or something that distinguishes them from your average norsca

Demand more love for Empire and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Built-in RoR like Hochland Long Rifles and Knightly orders! Doombull, Wargor, Ghorgon, Jabberslythe, Tuskboar chariot and God-specific Gors! #MakeOldWorldGreatAgain

Comments

• Mohawk_RoshiMohawk_Roshi Registered Users Posts: 1,763
    Kurgans aren't necessarily from the Chaos Wastes but really anything north of Cathay. As far as appearance goes they are more like Huns and Mongols opposed to Norscan shirtless Vikings. Think lots of horses and fur hats.
    A WIZARD SHOULD KNOW BETTER!
  • OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 510
    They are bigger than normal humans (I assume bigger than Norsca too), jet black hair (don't know if jet black is the exact translation), and have a darker skin.
    They don't belong in the Chaos Wastes. Some tribes like The Kul lives in the zone around "Baersonling's camp" in the game, but most of the Kurgans moves (they are nomads) in the Eastern Steppes, that doesn't appear in the current map in the game. Is at north east of the map. The most renown tribes are the Kvelligs, Gharghars, Tahmaks, Hastlings, Tokmars, Yusak, Khazags, Avags, Dolgans and Kul.

• Neolucifer2000Neolucifer2000 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 956
    Cool...any ilustartions that show kurgans? I only see conan barbariang maraders

Demand more love for Empire and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Built-in RoR like Hochland Long Rifles and Knightly orders! Doombull, Wargor, Ghorgon, Jabberslythe, Tuskboar chariot and God-specific Gors! #MakeOldWorldGreatAgain
  • DalakhDalakh Senior Member FranceRegistered Users Posts: 1,937

Cool...any ilustartions that show kurgans? I only see conan barbariang maraders

The marauders is the game is basically what Kurgans look like. They are pretty much the generic chaos worshipping tribes. The northernmost, most powerful and dedicated to the gods.

Norscans have a more vikingy vibe with longships and such and then the Hungs are more hunnic with more horse archers and riders, they are considered more treacherous and opportunistic during big chaos invasions.
    "We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."

— Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth
  • CataphCataph Member Registered Users Posts: 544
    Basically they are more mobile and shooty than the footslogging norscans. And more numerous, so your average chaos warrior is more probably a Kurgan rather than a Norscan or a Hung (spellcheck? anyway, the mongol-like ones).
    TEAM ALEJANDRO
    *wink wink*
    My Steam Workshop (Warhammer, Rome II)
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,354
    Cataph said:

Basically they are more mobile and shooty than the footslogging norscans. And more numerous, so your average chaos warrior is more probably a Kurgan rather than a Norscan or a Hung (spellcheck? anyway, the mongol-like ones).

I find it hard to believe that anything could be more mobile and shooty then Norscans according to CA

But on a serious note, it should be noted that the majority of the Chaos Warriors in game are probably Norscans simply due to the fact that Norsca is closer to where Archaon wants to strike. Kurgans are more numerous yes but the tribes(though an individual Kurgan might move west to the Old World proper) are more busy trying to crack Cathay's "Great Bastion"(Original, I know). Meanwhile most Hung(Amazing name btw) are busy trying to fight the Dark Elves over in Naggaroth. There are also of course heretics who head north from the old world and become Chaos Warriors(Like Archaon himself)
    Wow...I hope they add the kurgans in the future

• ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,993
    Kurgans would be cool. But I want... HOBGOBLINS!
  • WalrusWalrus Senior Member BrazilRegistered Users Posts: 1,104
    Krunch said:

Cataph said:

I find it hard to believe that anything could be more mobile and shooty then Norscans according to CA

But on a serious note, it should be noted that the majority of the Chaos Warriors in game are probably Norscans simply due to the fact that Norsca is closer to where Archaon wants to strike. Kurgans are more numerous yes but the tribes(though an individual Kurgan might move west to the Old World proper) are more busy trying to crack Cathay's "Great Bastion"(Original, I know). Meanwhile most Hung(Amazing name btw) are busy trying to fight the Dark Elves over in Naggaroth. There are also of course heretics who head north from the old world and become Chaos Warriors(Like Archaon himself)
    I think Archaon is a descendent of a Norscan Warlord, so he's technically Norcan.
  • DrasanilDrasanil Registered Users Posts: 394
    edited July 2016

Kurgans aren't necessarily from the Chaos Wastes but really anything north of Cathay. As far as appearance goes they are more like Huns and Mongols opposed to Norscan shirtless Vikings. Think lots of horses and fur hats.

That's the Hung.
    Cataph said:

Even though you actually mentioned them, also the Hung.

--- --- ---

Norscans = Vikings knock-offs we all know and love/loath.

Hung = Mongols, with a widely exaggerated penchant for treachery.

Kurgans (second) biggest meanest chaos tribes on the block, generally individually bigger and meaner than other chaos tribesmen so much so that they barely come across as human if you were to stand them next to a normal man. They are nomads but not necessarily Mongol/Hung like, plenty of infantry, incredibly depraved (even by chaos-human standards), form the vast majority of chaos tribes and actual chaos warriors. Basically generic scary foreigners with slightly turkish/arab/persian features.

(The heavily built plastic 6th eddition Marauder models are actually based on the Kurgan not the Norscans, you can see it in the original box art for them where the marauders are depicted with swarthier complexions and dark hair as opposed to fair skin/hair.)

Tong = The biggest and baddest of them all, live in the deep north of the wastes above the Kurgan territory, heavily mutated, pretty much every other chaos tribe fears them, rarely seen except when a major chaos invasion rolls around.
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 3,727
    The Kurgan is the bad guy from Highlander, the "There Can Only Be One" movie.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,993
    Did they replace Hobgoblins with Hung or something? Cuz yer description fits Hobgoblins like a glove.
  • GreyKnightDanteGreyKnightDante Registered Users Posts: 339
    edited July 2016
    The Norse are basically Vikings/Norse from Medieval times

The Kurgan are essentially a mixture of Sycthians/Turks

and the Hung are essentially the Huns/Mongol (but with a more emphasis on being nomadic hunters/gathers)

also, the Hobgoblins are still a thing. They fight against the Kurgan and Hung on a regular basis
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello I am an admin from the Warhammer Wiki. Please feel free to give any suggestions on how to our improve at this forum thread here! ANY help or suggestions is welcomed!

Interesting...do they have offical models?

• OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 510
    They are taller than nomal men, black
    Walrus said:

Krunch said:

Cataph said:

I think Archaon is a descendent of a Norscan Warlord, so he's technically Norcan.
    Yes, Archaon (Diederick Kastner) is the bastard son of a Varg who raped an imperial Nordland woman. Archaon was a templar of Sigmar before worship the Chaos gods.
  • ArilouArilou Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 632
    The Kurgan are pretty much Evil(er) Conan the Barbarians.

The Norscans are evil vikings

And the Hung are evil mongols.
  • seienchinseienchin Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,572
    The guy before Archaon was a kurgan by the way...

We dont really know how they look so. There are to my knowledge no official drawings of them and the Hung? Gimme a break. Rarely ever mentioned....
  • Galvanized IronGalvanized Iron Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,058
    edited July 2016
    Norscans are Vikings. Kurgans are Mongols.

It is however a bit funny since the historical Kurgans were a proto-Indo-European culture around the Caspian Sea. They supposedly practised the typically Indo-European concept of Wolf Warriors. They also made use of chariots in battle. Otherwise we don't know much about the Kurgans, just what can be learnt from the burial mounds they left.

Hmm that might mean the Warhammer Kurgans are more inspired by Scythians and Cimmerians.
    |Sith|Lord|Galvanized Iron
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 9,477
    I was hoping for a joke.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 1,905
    The Kurgan only dies if you cut his head off
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • chaosdwarfchaosdwarf Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited September 29
    About more or less culture/real world's 'geopolitics' equivalents:
    Kurgans = Scythians, Sarmatians, Alans
    Hungs = Huns, Magyars, Xiongnu

What about physiognomy:
    Kurgans are tall, dark skinned ("copper-skinned") with caucassian facial features. They are depicted by Empiremen as a dreadful killing machines and quite a nonhumans, a mutants or even daemon-like beings. Worth mentioning is that they are related to Kislevites (and more specifically the Gospodars). So we can say, to a certain extent, Kislev is a nation of civilised and peaceful Kurgans.
    Hungs for that, are short and stocky. They basically have no neck, and they ride ponies. Contrary to popular opinions, they haven't mongoloid facial features - sketches show them rather caucassian in appearance. They are basically human Dwarfs riding horses and being simpleton, primitive savages.

And yet what about their place of action:
    Kurgans live in 'Warhammer's western Russia' areas, while Hungs live in 'eastern parts of Russia'.
    The former are known to raid Norsca, Kislev and Empire. The latter are used to raid Cathay and even the Dark Elves by traversing through Northern Wastes/Chaos Wastelands. Ogres too are known for their encounters with the both.

Source of my knowledge: warhammerfantasy.fandom

Bonus:
    Warhammer equivalent of Mongols are probably the Hobgoblins.
    Post edited by chaosdwarf on