Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Future DLC Request: Araby

SherShahSuriSherShahSuri Junior MemberPosts: 1,109Registered Users
edited September 2016 in Feedback & Suggestions
From the "Data Mine" it seems Araby is not included... which is understandable... minor faction, with little recognition, similar to Cathay and Nippon. But it would be really awesome if CA could made a DLC for them and give them the significance that Games Workshop couldn't be bothered to do.

Lore-wise... they are like, pirate free-cities, where important people like Nagash, Nefarata, the tomb Kings (Settra), etc etc.... all eventually go to for some fighting or to find important magic lore books and all that... a place where Orcs, Lizardmen I think? also fight around in that area.

Then you have those greedy pigs, Brettonia launching crusades once their peasants have run out of money! being able to change the course of Warhammer history is something I would like to do, with Araby's vast and varied unit selection! being able to repel a crusade, then fight off the orcs/lizardmen and possibly lead an counter-invasion of Brettonia or The Empire.

Seeing as they are kind of based on Arabian, Persian and Ottoman lore, they should be a decent addition to the game, a defensive force with decent naval capabilities (if navy is ever introduced in Warhammer Total War) that actually builds, trades and grows rather than just roams around in massive hordes, tearing everything up.

Their lore, units, etc... can be seen here: http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Araby

But imagine that! Araby is just slightly south of the Old World... they are practically next door! plus their are even more Orc, Vampire and Tomb King factions in that area.

Edit: Oh... and forgot to mention... THEY HAVE FLYING CARPETS! http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Arabian_Flying_Carpets

Comments

• Avenger93Avenger93 Posts: 8Registered Users
    While I'd love to see this happen ... araby has not been in an army book for ages now. And GW are the ones who decide what CA can put in the game, it would esentialy mean GW giving away the rights to recreate this faction to CA.

Then again, they did datamine Chaos Dwarves which are in a similar situation so ...
  • GuvenorenGuvenoren Junior Member SwedenPosts: 277Registered Users
    They will make Chaos Dwarfs?
  • UrgatUrgat Posts: 992Registered Users

Then again, they did datamine Chaos Dwarves which are in a similar situation so ...

Not really similar, they got covered by FW in the end.
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 2,009Registered Users
    If they are planning to make Chaos Dwarfs, then they shouldn't have a problem making Araby or Nippon or Cathey because CA is actually going in those territories with expansion titles.
    I honestly want the map to be the whole Warhammer world Lol . CA should be given the creative freedom to do what they like with Araby and the other insignificant races and factions.

• TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,574Registered Users
    @KGpoopy Araby never had army book from Games Workshop, while Kislev and the Chaos Dwarfs did, so they are not the same, Araby, Nippon and Cathey are much harder to make.
  • SherShahSuriSherShahSuri Junior Member Posts: 1,109Registered Users
    Tayvar said:

@KGpoopy Araby never had army book from Games Workshop, while Kislev and the Chaos Dwarfs did, so they are not the same, Araby, Nippon and Cathey are much harder to make.

Not entirely... CA have had experience on making Arabian-Ottoman style factions before... all they have to do is add abit of Persian myth and they've got what Araby is... Djinns, Giants, Scorpions, etc.
  • UrgatUrgat Posts: 992Registered Users
    edited September 2016
    All they have to do is... convince GW to let them try, and the chance of that happening is between zero, none and void.
    Only official Araby stuff was in the pre 4th edition rulebooks (so basically a different universe, to simplify), the seriously generic Warmaster army (that GW quickly forgot about), a ship (in Dreadfleet, which was so very much its own thing, belonging to Tzeentch follower, that it probably wasn't representative of anything), and very, very short quicknotes in End Times. Besides that, bits and bobs here and there (the DoW regiment, mentions of a tyrant names Jaffar rulling over Araby -whee, the originality).
    In short, it's not gonna happen.
    There's even less available for Ind and Nippon. Cathay got some fluff in End Times, but not enough to make an army out of it.

You have more chance of seeing a dedicated Middenheim or Kislev army than you have of any of those above, and I don't rate the chances of those either.

Chaos Dwarfs, on the other hand, sure, they've had two official armylists (it took a while for GW to "cannonize" the Forgeworld Fantasy stuff, but it did happen).
  • icehawkicehawk Junior Member Posts: 41Registered Users
    As long as Araby is fleshed out even in a rough form as say Kislev (I mean if Tomb Kings doesnt have Araby to compete with that DLC will look ****), thats good enough for me as modders can go to town on it.

But some fleshing out beyond the boring place CA has left Kislev and TEB factions in would be appreciated!

All the large or lesser nations like Ind, Nippon, Amazons etc have huge lore to draw from, just not much factions to draw out. If the second game is comprised of only 3-4 races and features its own 10+ DLCs than plenty of choices can be added to them although Araby doesnt fit the bill.

Personally since Total Warhammer is selling so well id go for all the major factions and flesh out the minors in DLCs I have no problem with that. People pay for content after all
    KGpoopy said:

If they are planning to make Chaos Dwarfs, then they shouldn't have a problem making Araby or Nippon or Cathey because CA is actually going in those territories with expansion titles.
    I honestly want the map to be the whole Warhammer world Lol . CA should be given the creative freedom to do what they like with Araby and the other insignificant races and factions.

All for it, why not!
    From a financial perspective they have a very interested fanbase and huge amount of lore to go through!

Last comment was that they expanded their scope for Warhammer beyond their initial plans. I hope that means the whole Warhammer world,

TOTAL Warhammer it would be indeed :)
  • obippoobippo Member Posts: 2,251Registered Users
    Tayvar said:

Wrong, Araby had it's own Warmaster army list. Warhammer is under GW, just like Forgeworld.
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.

• NagashizzarNagashizzar NagahsizzarPosts: 244Registered Users
    Araby would be cool, makes the South kind of human based aswell. Would love to see them.

Nagash shall come!
  • PrometheusPrometheus Senior Member Posts: 769Registered Users

While I'd love to see this happen ... araby has not been in an army book for ages now. And GW are the ones who decide what CA can put in the game, it would esentialy mean GW giving away the rights to recreate this faction to CA.

Why Chaos dwarves are not in an army book for ages as well?

I want Tilea and Dogs of WAR!!!!
  • PrometheusPrometheus Senior Member Posts: 769Registered Users
    icehawk said:

KGpoopy said:

All for it, why not!
    From a financial perspective they have a very interested fanbase and huge amount of lore to go through!

Last comment was that they expanded their scope for Warhammer beyond their initial plans. I hope that means the whole Warhammer world,

TOTAL Warhammer it would be indeed :)
    Nice map , is there a higher res version?
  • GuvenorenGuvenoren Junior Member SwedenPosts: 277Registered Users
    How do I stop getting notifications from this? I'm practically spammed. I don't even want to be a part of this, Araby doesn't interest me.
  • ChaosDragonBornChaosDragonBorn Posts: 1,487Registered Users
    Guvenoren said:

How do I stop getting notifications from this? I'm practically spammed. I don't even want to be a part of this, Araby doesn't interest me.

You are going to get notifications when you become part of the discussion, no matter how pointless your comment is. It seems you asked about Chaos Dwarfs. How about contribute to the discussion, and say why you don't care about the addition of Araby, or don't enter the thread again?

No one is spamming you unless there is a glitch with your account.
  • Arcani_4_EverArcani_4_Ever Junior Member Posts: 2,308Registered Users
    Doubt they will add Araby as a playable faction. Even Games Workshop didnt create any proper Army Book for them. which is a shame.

Doubt they will add Araby as a playable faction. Even Games Workshop didnt create any proper Army Book for them. which is a shame.

Never too late to make Araby armies.
    I don't mind Araby being npc for the time being as Kislev for example, I just want them to exist in some somewhat fleshed out format for few reasons:

1. Modders can do the rest
    2. Bodes well when CA at some point runs out of dlc ideas and gives the lesser but flavorful nations a shot, like Araby
    3. Improves odds that we get some low probability choices like In, Nippon or Cathay, which are poor in Gw coverage but have fantastical fanbase additions and rich lore.
  • WalashWalash Posts: 339Registered Users
    Did you notice that the territory of Araby really has been taken out of the game. The map has been changed to really fit only the Tomb King in "Africa".
    Check it here and compare with here
    I think that really means goodbye Araby
    edited October 2016
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/169157/faction-speculation-araby/p2

Yeah.... Araby has the units, the lore and a HUGE amount of land that is greater size than the EMPIRE, Brettonia or Kislev. If they don't add Araby, then it'd be a great loss for CA and it's customers... A great civilization, represented in a fantasy world, to make them even more awesome!

Their are tens of thousands that crave a Middle Eastern-North African style faction, especially one that is so fitting... immensely wealthy in culture, knowledge and art. But this is far away, most likely in the second or third game. I think I would prefer Araby over Tomb Kings to be honest, a human civilization that trades and builds with the world, is better than a dead civilization, that enslaves and destroys the world.

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/maps/Map-Araby-2-Political.jpg

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160304/7775hhce.jpg
    --Creative Assembly Art Director Kevin McDowell Talks Total War: Warhammer

GT: Okay, so lets move on. In terms of the races, obviously you’re adding more and more via DLC. Are you looking to make changes/improvements to the ‘vanilla’ classes as you add in more DLC races?

K McD: I would say yes. Our ultimate goal, I don’t know if we’ll ever achieve it or not, but our ultimate goal would be to do all the units from Warhammer Fantasy. So that would include filling out all the remaining units. That’s not a promise though, that’s just something we would want to do and are aiming towards.--:

--GT: ‘Where are my Wood Elves’?

K McD: Well… I would say again, ultimately we want to do everything [laughs]…--:

**everything?!** :smiley::smiley::anguished: Does everything include...everything? Lol
    I think the achievement of the Warhammer team doing everything will depend on the community's reaction to the expansions and DLCs. The bad review overload that will hurt sales in the long run. Pricing is the biggest factor apparently, according to most of the reviews( on Steam at least).

http://www.geektown.co.uk/2016/09/23/creative-assembly-art-director-kevin-mcdowell-talks-total-war-warhammer/
    edited October 2016
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Redi9cZJ5iYkJJaEZaVFltVEE/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Thanks to MiniaAr for providing that in https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/169157

After reading, it seems to be that Araby is basically a... mixture between Mameluke (Egyptian) and Ottoman (Turkic/Greek/Mongolian) influence. Both economically and socially. However their religion is practically based on Islam, with a couple of changes and some old Middle Eastern/Persian mythology.

Araby should have a strong cavalry force, based around horse archers and medium/light class melee cavalry, that are very well equipped (best armor, weapons and training available that Humans can buy from Dwarves/Elves).

They should have fantastic archers and well equipped medium-light based infantry, Heavy Spearmen. If Araby is anything like the real-life version... there should be a religious warrior unit (like Empire's Priests of Sigmar) that cannot be broken, are ferocious in combat, but VERY lightly armored/armed.

The economy should revolve around Trade Agreements, Piracy and Agricultural Development. I'm thinking... Bonus 10% income from Trade Agreements, 5%+ Income from naval raiding (piracy).

I would certainly like to see unique buildings too, as they have "cities of white stone" and Grand Mosques and Palaces. Mosques are a very powerful building... as it is the "holy house" of the Arabyans, but is also a university, hospital and gathering place for the populace (at least in the real world). So it would be nice to see a 5 stage building for Mosques that increase public order, increases research speed (by 1%... can't be OP) and increases regeneration of army casualties.

Trade and resource buildings should have 5 stages as well... as this faction is literally BASED on trade... trade is in the blood of Araby.
    Post edited by SherShahSuri on
    edited October 2016
    The only hope we have is the rumors that CA staff have said their initial plans for Warhammer have been expanded due to how well it has been received. I don't know what that means.

What we do know is that before the rumor and the release of this game , they are going to do all the TableTop races and there is going to be 3 standalone games combinable to make the largest campaign experience ever. There are 15 races I think.
    Dwarfs
    High Elves
    Wood Elves
    Lizardmen
    Bretonnia
    The Empire
    Skaven
    Orcs & Goblins
    Dark Elves
    Warriors of Chaos
    Deamons of Chaos
    Beastmen
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    Ogre Kingdoms

Now with that information, we can speculate on what they mean by "expanding on initial plans". Maybe playable Kislev, Araby, Nippon, and Cathey. Or it could be the best naval combat they've ever made. This is already the most fun total war I ever played, imagine more. We'll just have to see. Time will tell.

Post edited by ChaosDragonBorn on
  • WalashWalash Posts: 339Registered Users
    We cannot tell in the end if Araby will be considered. But we can agree that it will not happen before all other proper factions are covered. That includes chaos dwarfs, tileans, and kislev.

What makes it unlikely they make them is this:
    1. they erased from the map all the lands of araby
    2. It would be an extra human faction, therefore too similar in playstyle to the other human faction
    3. It is even less likely than chaos dwarfs, tileans and kislev, coming out. Which we already aren't sure will be published.

Don't get me wrong, I would love them to do it. They are (a little bit) in the lore. The more they do, the better. I would love the hole map for that matter.
    I just don't think it will happen. And even if it does, not before 2 years I would say.
    I dunno guys... look what they did with the Dwarves and Greenskinz... they made 3 minor factions, out of 2 major factions (Clan Angrund, the Bloody Hands and the Crooked Moon).

I think they'll go along with the datamined route, but they'll add in DLC and FLC that demands attention. If we make a big enough hype and demand, they will surely bring it in. After all... Empire and Brettonia? same people... same stuff, brettonia is unique, but every other brettonian faction, is the same, same with the empire. Kislev is unique, Araby is unique... and those are all in The Old World (the current map).

When it gets expanded to include the Tomb Kings and the Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dwarves and Skaven, I think they will add more dlc, based on demand.
    edited November 2016
    Walash said:

We cannot tell in the end if Araby will be considered. But we can agree that it will not happen before all other proper factions are covered. That includes chaos dwarfs, tileans, and kislev.

2. It would be an extra human faction, therefore too similar in playstyle to the other human faction
    3. It is even less likely than chaos dwarfs, tileans and kislev, coming out. Which we already aren't sure will be published.

Don't get me wrong, I would love them to do it. They are (a little bit) in the lore. The more they do, the better. I would love the hole map for that matter.
    I just don't think it will happen. And even if it does, not before 2 years I would say.

1. They should put it back. It makes more sense to actually keep Araby than even Kislev, Tilea, and Estalia, becasue they would have the biggest difference in style of gameplay.
    2. That brings your #2 reason. I would not mind more human factions. Again if erasing Araby made sense to CA, then you can forget about estalia and kislev and tilea.
    3. Chaos dwarfs have been leaked by a data mine earlier after release. So there is a chance CA will stretch their imaginations to things like Kislev and Araby at least.

They have to do the main 15 races first. All resources will go to that first. In addition to gameplay mechanics and features (hopefully). Then we will have to beg them to overhaul and establish Araby. ...and rename it Arabia for goodness sake!

• Ice_creamIce_cream Posts: 725Registered Users
    edited November 2016
    Walash said:

Excuse me but in what world tileans are a proper faction?, tileans in Warhammer are just a bunch of mercenaries, most of them pikes, so they dont have a proper army/roster. Menawhile Araby had a proper roster in Warmaster, what still is Warhammer universe (and we know that CA have plans to flesh out Chaos Warriors who are Forge World thing).

They are not erased from the map, why do you say such thing? what a madness. The thing is CA is changing the map for gameplay and balance, but araby is still there.

The all human factions equal to same playstyle thought is totally wrong and is not an argument since we already have Bretonnia being quite different to play compared with empire (who is quite versatile unlike Bretonnia).
    edited November 2016
    Found some Araby miniatures and art. There is way more out there than what I present. (edit: now as the more official stuff)

Post edited by ChaosDragonBorn on
  • Ice_creamIce_cream Posts: 725Registered Users

Found some Araby miniatures and art. There is way more out there than what I present.

Makes me want them even more!
    Sorry mate, but the most of these stuff are not official. If you want to see the only offical stuff for araby in terms of minis put "araby warmaster" in google.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file