Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: WARHAMMER - The Grim & The Grave Q&A

CHARLOTTEB_CACHARLOTTEB_CA AdministratorRegistered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 3,166
edited September 2016 in General Discussion
Hi everyone!

Post-release on The Grim & The Grave, we’ve seen a few common questions spring up – so here’s another quick fire round of answers and also some insights on the game development and design process you might find interesting.
There’s an update in the works currently that we’re aiming to drop as soon as it’s out of test.

Why don’t Regiment of Renown benefit from lord buffs, buildings or technology trees?
This is a bug and not currently working as intended, but we’re working on a fix for a future update coming soon.

When are you going to do something about the problems with regen cap?
We are currently examining the regeneration gameplay and how it can lead to undesirable situations. While we’re doing this, we may remove some of the strongest healing potions as a temporary fix until we are happier with how the core system works. We’re still looking into it.

Are there any plans to release a full change log of the database with each patch?
What we normally do is provide the bigger mod authors with the patch prior to launch, so they can try and tweak their mods to prevent them breaking players’ games. We realise some players may be mid-campaign with a mod and this isn't ideal as in most cases you’re required to start from scratch. However, it might be helpful to reach out to other modders such as Radious for tips on updating, as his mod, which changes practically everything, is pretty reliable.
We don’t generate a full change log of the database as a normal working practice while making the game, and generating one isn’t easy to do. It might sound strange, but here’s an example of how it works:
Mitch on the New Content Team is given a task to add a new unit to the database. For that single unit, it might require the updating of over a hundred values in tables spread throughout the database. While he’s doing that, two or three other guys might be doing the same thing with different parts of the database at the same time. In all, that might be a task that takes him a day or two to complete.
If he were to record the data changes he makes, that’s effectively just duplicating the same work again, and just reproducing the database in a different document, which would be harder to use that DAVE, the tool we’ve already supplied to explore and compare the database.
In short, if we had to provide a change log it would take twice as long to do any work with it and it would be of no more use to modders than the tools we’ve already supplied.

Will full mod support be coming for Total War: Warhammer?
If by ‘full mod support’ you’re thinking some sort of campaign map editor, then no we are afraid not. We’ve mentioned before how the process of making campaign maps for modern TW games involves a large and interlocking structure of proprietary and third party development tools that we can’t distribute for public use.
However, there are additions to the Assembly Kit in the pipeline, including adding battlemap editing in the future.

Has Vampiric corruption been nerfed/changed?
No, this has remained unchanged. Vampire Counts still get 1 public order for each 10 points of Vampiric Corruption through the Obedience to the Vampires trait. This mechanic is unchanged. Vampires can get corruption from several sources. Here's a list:
* Balefire Rituals technology
* Spread Vampire Covens technology
* Guile and Glamour skill on lords/heroes
* Ghoul Whisperer trait on lords/heroes
* The Balefire building chain
* Local populace modifier in Sylvania and Moussilon
* Certain Legendary items on Legendary Lords
* Owning Altdorf
* Deploying certain agents

If trying these options still doesn’t offer you a sufficient amount of Vampiric Corruption, please respond to this thread with details so that we may investigate this.

Why Doesn’t the AI recruit Regiments of Renown?
It’s by design as the Regiments of Renown are intended to be unique units. If the AI were to recruit them, it would diminish their uniqueness, as there’d be multiple units of the same type within a battle engagement or on the campaign map. In the lore, they’re one of a kind.

While we are on the subject, here’s some further details on their design from our Lead Designer on the New Content Team:
The Regiments of Renown are designed to be already-established veteran units. They’ve earned their fame and great renown in the countless battles fought prior to the player recruiting them. They are among the best and most highly-regarded units in the Old World, and therefore equate to being at the highest level of veterancy that our game offers – level 9, usually symbolised by triple-gold chevrons on the unit card.

When creating each Regiment of Renown, we buffed a number of their core stats such as leadership, melee attack and defence to match or supersede those of their plain vanilla counterpart that have achieved level 9 veterancy. In addition, we gave every Regiment of Renown at least one role-enhancing perk, and in some cases more, allowing them to fulfil roles on the battlefield which the vanilla units they’re based upon cannot.

Taking the Vampire Counts’ Konigstein Stalkers as an example, you can see from the unit stat breakdowns (Images provided) that the Konigstein Stalkers have the same leadership, melee attack and melee defence that a level 9 veteran Skeleton Warrior unit receives. This is considerably better than the level 1 base unit. In addition, the Konigstein Stalkers unit also gets a +40 armour upgrade and poison attacks, something which the level 9/triple-gold vanilla unit can’t obtain. Obviously with these new perks the cost of the unit does increase slightly to keep it balanced with the rest of the units in the game, but all in all, they’re a much more formidable unit in battle.
We recently added triple-gold chevrons to the Regiments of Renown unit cards to highlight the fact that that these units are already maxed out experience-wise. You’ll see this in the next game update.

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
Post edited by CHARLOTTEB_CA on

Comments

• SnotfaceSnotface Member Registered Users Posts: 753
    Thankyou for the update :)
    Wyvern's is good fer one thing, eatin' smashin' smellin' and flyin.'
  • Gael40Gael40 Registered Users Posts: 258
    We want to know if model/animation editing will be coming. Noone was expecting a campaign map tool.

Right now we can't mod anything. Battlemap editing is useless as long as we can't add **** models to the game.

I have been buying everything waiting for the time you finally allow us to add models and animations to the game, like we have ALWAYS been able to.

The answer seems to be go **** yourselves, and so I'm afraid to say you've lost yourself a customer.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 26,014
    Soukie said:

We want to know if model/animation editing will be coming. Noone was expecting a campaign map tool.

Right now we can't mod anything. Battlemap editing is useless as long as we can't add **** models to the game.

I have been buying everything waiting for the time you finally allow us to add models and animations to the game, like we have ALWAYS been able to.

The answer seems to be go **** yourselves, and so I'm afraid to say you've lost yourself a customer.

Buh-bye.

Still find it hilarious that people actually think this ever works.

• NightscriveNightscrive Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hi I'm new to Total War games but not to Warhammer. Sorry if you get this a lot but is there any word about when you'll be adding Skaven to the game?

Soukie said:

Buh-bye.

Still find it hilarious that people actually think this ever works.
    Works ? You think I'm expecting anything to change ? I'm telling why I won't be buying anymore warhammer content or game, and probably any total war game if modding is just as limited in the upcoming historical games.

I'm expressing my frustration and moving on, not starting a petition.

Buh-bye dear random internet dweller.
    I thought CA just lost a customer, so why are you still here? I mean if you don't buy their products there's also no reason for them to listen to you.

I thought CA just lost a customer, so why are you still here? I mean if you don't buy their products there's also no reason for them to listen to you.

So they don't lose any more ?

As I said I may still be buying historical games depending on their stance on modding.

Regardless, you seem to care an awful lot about my opinion, I'm not here to start a debate or justify myself to you, I only felt compelled to answer because you quoted my post for some reason.

Buh-bye.
  • ExtradaemonExtradaemon Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 35
    edited September 2016

It’s by design as the Regiments of Renown are intended to be unique units. If the AI were to recruit them, it would diminish their uniqueness, as there’d be multiple units of the same type within a battle engagement or on the campaign map. In the lore, they’re one of a kind.

Why not just have the Regiments of Renown available to the main race factions (e.g. Vampire Counts and The Empire)? They already have different unit lists in the database.

It's fairly disappointing when I'm facing a massive Vampire Counts invasion as the Empire and there isn't a single regiment of renown among them. It takes character away from the battle I'm fighting.

Also no word on a Model Editor?
    Soukie said:

So they don't lose any more ?

As I said I may still be buying historical games depending on their stance on modding.

Regardless, you seem to care an awful lot about my opinion, I'm not here to start a debate or justify myself to you, I only felt compelled to answer because you quoted my post for some reason.

Buh-bye.
    You don't seem to know that melodramatic announcements about how you're going to shop elsewhere and the like aren't taken seriously by anyone.

• ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 1,501

Why not just have the Regiments of Renown available to the main race factions (e.g. Vampire Counts and The Empire)? They already have different unit lists in the database.

It's fairly disappointing when I'm facing a massive Vampire Counts invasion as the Empire and there isn't a single regiment of renown among them. It takes character away from the battle I'm fighting.

Also no word on a Model Editor?
    I completely agree about RoR :)

My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - UK
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
    Three kingdoms - Sun Jian
  • williamlaurent89williamlaurent89 Registered Users Posts: 349
    edited September 2016
    Soukie said:

I'm expressing my frustration and moving on

It's your right to stop buying this product and move on. So you don't need to come on this CA warhammer forum anymore.

Best of luck
  • RiskzeroRiskzero Registered Users Posts: 5
    I have a couple of questions about the G&G, one, the brothers corpse cart removes some spells from use when upgraded too as well as not firing off certain spells like fireball from the ring you can equip. Second, Helman is amazing!! But, his poison overwriting better and stronger poison seems silly. Any plans to modify tgis?
  • Mad MacMad Mac Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 718
    If you guys are working on a bug fixing patch, I sincerely hope you'll be addressing the Flaggelants passive skill not being enabled in single player. Reportedly this is a problem for Slayers reworked Deathblow also.

Also what the guy above said about Helman.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,052
    I second @Extradaemon the main race factions should as AI recruit RoR once they have unlock them and then have them ONE time.

Not like in Empire where the AI would constantly deploy more units of a type then was "legal".
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • hendo1592hendo1592 Registered Users Posts: 1,736
    edited September 2016
    @CharlotteBCA thanks for the update and the communication! I had a question more or less about the patches...I will probably get some criticism from some (over-passionate) fans but..

When will pace of battle be addressed via patch or hotfix? Or considered? Mods do not do the game justice--modders talented in their own right but as this post points out don't have all the tools.
    An alternative battle pace would be awesome because I know there is a large portion that prefers rush battles, and I would hate to flip roles.

Here's a link to a thread with others points, there's a bunch but this one is most recent and sums up the other points quite well..
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/183794/pace-of-batlle/p1

To the trolls and bullies: yes I've adapted, modded, practiced ect..I (along with many others! :p )
    just simply enjoy longer battles, while still issuing active orders-but without the constant click fest. Thanks again for the great community out reach B)
    Post edited by hendo1592 on
  • panzerschreckpanzerschreck Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 225
    we want model and animation editor!
    THE GREAT WAR MOD Team/MAPPER
  • ITA_Vae_VictisITA_Vae_Victis Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 1,649
    Can we please have any word from whoever is in charge of Magic balancing? Can we know what spells are working as intended and what is in the pipeline for a rebalancing?

Eg.: Vortex and Bombardment Spells are BLATANTLY underperforming and overexpensive compared to Projectiles and Direct Damages, as EVERY SINGLE USER in this forum will tell you if you ask them.

Do the developers agree with this sentiment? Is something going to be done in the future? Is it a difficult task that is taking time, and has therefore been delayed to whenever there will be less work on DLC/FLC? Or do the developers think spells are fine the way they are?
  • JollyRogeroJollyRogero Member Registered Users Posts: 670
    edited September 2016
    I can understand that CA doesn't want modders to be able to import models due to the conflict with potential future DLC. If they made that possible I would bet that there would be pretty solid, lore friendly reskins of Tilea, Estalia and Kislev by the end of the month.

So long as they plan on releasing their own DLC I am fine with this. I just want the quality reskins one way or another. But it would be greatly disappointing if there is no reskin DLC and no option for modders to create a quality reskin - that would be quite unfortunate due to the lost potential.

I can see it happening because there is so much that can still be added for the major factions that CA could conceivably never be in a position to dedicate the time and resources for them in the product cycle for TWW, even though I am quite willing to pay plenty of money for that reskin. I am quite concerned that the minor factions will never receive their due, even though the modders could surely do them justice if allowed to do so.
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394

I can understand that CA doesn't want modders to be able to import models due to the conflict with potential future DLC. If they made that possible I would bet that there would be pretty solid, lore friendly reskins of Tilea, Estalia and Kislev by the end of the month.

So long as they plan on releasing their own DLC I am fine with this. I just want the quality reskins one way or another. But it would be greatly disappointing if there is no reskin DLC and no option for modders to create a quality reskin - that would be quite unfortunate due to the lost potential.

I can see it happening because there is so much that can still be added for the major factions that CA could conceivably never be in a position to dedicate the time and resources for them in the product cycle for TWW, even though I am quite willing to pay plenty of money for that reskin. I am quite concerned that the minor factions will never receive their due, even though the modders could surely do them justice if allowed to do so.

I'm not sure that's the reason, unlike a texture editor the model editor is probably very expensive, either in in-house work hours or payment to a third party, so releasing it now would not be a cost effective idea.

I'm sure a cut down version is being looked at but it will likely be delayed until most of the DLC has been released thus making the money to release it thus extend the life of TWW
    Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
  • herjan1987herjan1987 Registered Users Posts: 644
    Is it intended, that once a Lord or Legendary Lord reaches the unlock rank of a Regiment of Renown unit, all Lords can have access to it?

In the "Grim and the Grave" description says that:

"They can be unlocked for recruitment when the Lord under your command has attained the sufficient skill level, and are instantly recruited from the special Regiments of Renown recruitment menu into his army. In this respect they differ from standard units, which spend at least one turn in the recruitment queue.
    "

For me this means you need to unlock it with all Lords.
    Team Dwarfes
    Team Brettonnia
    Team Tomb Kings
    Team High Elf
    Team Averland

Leitdorf for Emperor!

Original Regiments of Renown and Dogs of War
    Make Marious Leitdorf a playable Legendary Lord
    Warhammer Fantasy Novels in Black Library
  • chrissher7chrissher7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,038
    Soukie said:

That is a bit drastic isn't it? Although I agree that animations and models should be add able (And Charlotte dodged that question by talking about campaign.), the game is fine without mods IMO and we're lucky that GW even allowed any kind of mod support.

• dodge33cymrudodge33cymru Registered Users Posts: 2,101
    He made his point somewhat churlishly but it's a good question that remains unanswered: will we ever be able to add 3D models to the game. This is far more important to me than any campaign map editor.

I find the decision not to let the AI recruit RoRs baffling and the answer here doesn't really make sense. They can surely remain unique units, just hired by the AI and unavailable to the player if they take them first.

So I'm a bit sceptical of the answers, but I do appreciate these sorts of posts greatly, so thanks.
  • CHARLOTTEB_CACHARLOTTEB_CA Administrator Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 3,166
    Hey guys , on the variant editor - this isn't currently possible for this Game, we'll continue exploring options with GW on the modification of the game though and keep you updated.
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • dodge33cymrudodge33cymru Registered Users Posts: 2,101

Hey guys , on the variant editor - this isn't currently possible for this Game, we'll continue exploring options with GW on the modification of the game though and keep you updated.

Boo to the answer, but appreciate the answer - cheers
  • bronhomsbronhoms Registered Users Posts: 1,330
    You haven't really answered the question: "Why Doesn’t the AI recruit Regiments of Renown?"

You have only said why the AI (that is the same faction (or just uses Empire units)) doesn't use them.

If I'm playing Vampire Counts, the AI (that plays Empire) doesn't recruit RoR either. This is the actual question.

Also...

DON'T REMOVE ITEMS FROM CUSTOM BATTLES, JUST ADD THE REST. It is beyond my comprehension why you would add some legendary items and some not (Archaon without the Armour of Morkhar and the Eye of Sheerian fx), give some characters access to the second-life-level healing potions and some not (exhalted heroes fx). In Warhammer, these items are available to all characters.

Is it very time consuming to add them? I'd happily help, but I don't know where to start.

Copy-paste the item system from the table-top into custom games and multiplayer.

• WallflowerNinjaWallflowerNinja Registered Users Posts: 3
    Argon said:

I completely agree about RoR :)

Same here! If the AI were able to field the VC Regiments of Renown against an Empire player (or vice versa), I feel it would greatly improve the experience overall - even moreso as Regiments are added to additional races over time.

As it is, Regiments in the campaign give players an unfair advantage over the AI - it feels almost like cheating, actually - which will presumably get worse once the latest patch is live and they too are benefiting from Lord and technology bonuses (having said that, thank you for the fix).
  • josh34583josh34583 Registered Users Posts: 135
    ETA on this update?
  • Sky_sweeperSky_sweeper Senior Member OklahomaRegistered Users Posts: 1,711
    To the mod support question - but will we eventually have all the same capabilities we've had in the recent total war games as far as mods go? Not changing the campaign map, but creating new factions and units and making new asset models instead of Lego-building units from the already existing assets?
    A brave man marches into danger and ignores his fear. A courageous man marches into danger while embracing his fear.

CPU: Intel i7 4970k 4.0 Ghz
    GPU: AMD r9 290x 4GB
    RAM: 16GB DDR3

Veteran of the Total War franchise since Shogun: Total war. (I was 10)
  • DreadedNorwegianDreadedNorwegian Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    Why Doesn’t the AI recruit Regiments of Renown?

That only applies for factions of the same race, but I play as the empire the vampire counts should be able to recruit their own renown units.
    Enig og tro til Dovre faller!