Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Any Norsca Tribes not corrupted by Chaos?

OdinsWolfOdinsWolf Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 10
So I'll start by saying I am not familiar with Warhammer lore except the little bit I have looked up for the game.

I was wondering if there was any Norsca tribe in lore that resisted the Chaos corruption and fought the Chaos forces when they invaded? I have read that Chaos was the basis of most Norsca Religion but I thought it would be cool to have a Norsca tribe in the game that tried to resist them(only if its lore friendly of course). I enjoy the epic stand of groups who are less in number and ill equipped against larger stronger armies (American Revolution,Scotlands fight for freedom from England in the early 14th century etc.)

If anyone is a Warhammer lore buff I would love to know if this was a thing.

Comments

• ButtBumblerButtBumbler Registered Users Posts: 22
    The Kislevites occupied a more northerly region before migrating to what is now Kislev, in response to the growing threat of Chaos. They conquered the Ungols in the process. There are probably Norscans who do not realize that they are worshipping the four Chaos Gods directly. You might have a Norscan who worships both Ulric (also worshipped in the Empire) and the "Crow Father" (an aspect of Tzeentch) at the same time. He may not realize that the Crow Father is a guise of Tzeentch. However, that doesn't mean he necessarily objects to Tzeentch, just that he thinks they are two separate deities. It's possible that individuals worship a pantheon of gods that happens not to include any on the big four in some manner, but probably doesn't happen very often. You won't find a whole tribe that rejects the Chaos Gods, as they are seen as part of the pantheon, at best you'll find tribes where their worship is relatively less prominent.
  • Canuovea#6291Canuovea#6291 Registered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 15,953
    The Norse apparently have a proclivity towards worshiping nearly any "worthy" god.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -New Rules: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287645/new-forum-rules#latest
    -Rules FAQ: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287650/total-war-forum-faq#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • OrkfaellerOrkfaeller Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,329
    edited September 2016
    I'm not aware of any Norscan tribes that resist the Gods of Chaos- though some might worship the wolf god Ulric or the bear god Ursun along side.

That said, its important to note that not all Norscans are crazy zealots. Many of the southern tribes are more or less regular people living their lives, making a living by fishing and trading with Kislev or the Empire. Living in relative peace. But I'd think they'd still consider a Chaos Invasion as a call to arms by their gods and join, what they'd consider a holy war.

But also worth mentioning, Skeggi.
    The Norscans were the first humans to discover the New World - Lustria and established one of the biggest and most important colonies over there. Its used as a trade port by most other human realms.
    Still Chaos worshippers, their religion has a much smaller impact to their daily lifes. I guess it helps being away from the Chaos Wastelands as far as possible.

You might also be interessted in this neat little short story.

Wilhelm Biel had seen much of the world and, though his primary interest was commerce, during his travels he had developed an enthusiasm for wonders both natural and man-made. In Bretonnia he had studied the ruins of Elven cities that lay beneath the modern town of L'Anguille; he had watched the gigantic cephalopods in the Middle Sea and seen leviathan in the Great Western Ocean. Once, in a port in Araby, he had even seen a reptile that breathed fire, much to his astonishment and the discomfort of its captors. Now he had brought his ship northwards fo the coast of Norsca in search of amber, and the fur of the fox, bear and marten.
    It was early in the morning of the third day when he lay down upon the rocky hillside to break his fast and watch life stir below in the little village of Fjirgard. His companion, a young Norseman called Haubr, had spread out a handsome, thick fur for them to sit upon, and from a leather bag he'd produced a loaf of bread, cheese and some strips of smoked meat that Wilhelm understood to be bear meat. As they ate and chatted, the people of Fjirgard went about their early morning business. His own ship lay moored at the quayside and thick-set Norsemen were already loading it with bundles of fur and small but heavy sacks that contained his precious amber. Down in the village a herdsman noisily gathered his goats and drove them to the little meadow, whilst behind them a hunting party made its way up the steeply sided valley.
    "Tell me, friend Haubr," said Wilhelm, "Each day now I have seen those women meet at dawn, as they do now, and, having assembled together, some dozen or so carry laden baskets high up the mountainside to what I perceive to be a cave somewhere in that black gully."
    Below them the group of women, mostly elderly but some young and with children amongst them, reached the foot of the mountain path. This was but a thin thread of grey against the dark rock, for Fjirgard lay between the mountain and the sea in a little strip of steep land. It was a typical settlement in this respect, for the whole coast was rocky and in place the mountains fell sheer into the sea; only in little bays such as this was it possible to build anything like a village, let alone a town.
    "They go to feed the Were," replied Haubr matter-of-factly. "Is it not so in your own town of, how do you say it, Ma-ree-in-berg?"
    "Marienburg is quite correct - but we have no creatures of that name. What manner of beasts are these Were?"
    "No Werekin?" exclaimed Haubr. "Or perhaps you know them by some other name in your land. The were are those of their chosen champions whom the gods deem not yet worthy to join them as immortals. The Werekin live deep in the caves until war comes when they shall fight for one last time before rejoining the cycle of life." Haubr could not but notice the expression of incomprehension on the Marienburger's face and added, "It is no disgrace amongst us, you understand. Some are chosen for glory and some are cast down, but even those cast down have been chosen, and when they are reborn they shall be all the greater. It is better to be chosen than to live your whole life beyond the sight of the gods, is it not?"
    "But," asked Wilhelm ignoring Haubr's question lest he risk offending the youth with views that regarded such beliefs as heresy. "Why do you confine these Werekin to the caves - are they dangerous?"
    "Indeed yes - though once they were men, now they are like animals in both thought and form. Their bodies grow large and distorted and hairy like bears or horny like a troll. some grow snarling teeth like wolves or claws like the fierce macalrmacca that lives in the forest. Others grow scales like serpents, or tails or wings like bats on the moon-tide. They are monsters and many die in battle before ever they return home, or else run blindly in their terror and perish the wilderness. Yet some come home and the womenfolk tend to them - their husbands and sons - for the bonds of kinship are strong and the Were do not attack their own."
    "These creatures which you call Were sound like the mutants we call Chaos Spawn, for I have heard of such monsters in the armies of Chaos."
    "Perhaps," replied Haubr cautiously. "The gods choose some for immortality and some for oblivion - is it not thus the whole world over?"
    "Nay," Wilhelm shook his head. "I have never heard of such a thing in all my travels - no Were and no immortals either."
    "Then I pity you and all the world," said Haubr earnestly, "that of all the races of Men, the gods favour we Norse alone."

Post edited by Orkfaeller on
  • ChatappChatapp Member Registered Users Posts: 412
    edited September 2016
    There are minorities in Norsca who do not worship the Chaos Gods and rather exclusively go for local versions of Ulric, Manann and Taal, or anything else that satisfies their need for tough gods. As @ButtBumbler said, other deities might be one of the Four in disguise.

Of course, Chaos-worshipping Norse do not look kindly upon them and there's bound to be some genocidal bullying involved.

GW developed a tendency in black-and-whiting stuff, but 2nd RPG and its sourcebooks are clearer in this regard.
    Post edited by Chatapp on
    TEAM ALEJANDRO
    *wink wink*
    My Steam Workshop (Warhammer, Rome II)
  • GaussiaGaussia Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,260
    Norsca is big and I'm sure there are norscans who don't worship Chaos Gods. I don't think there's and "resistance fighter" as you think, reather some scathered villages of people minding there own buisssness and noone caring about them.
  • Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Registered Users Posts: 4,092
    Apart from its main goal, this thread has shown how the noracans are more like normal being than the campaign leads us to believe. Plenty of occasional large scale raids but not the body producing factories with twice as many armies as cities they are right now.
  • Krunch#7448Krunch#7448 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,480
    From what I remember of the lore, The Chaos factions currently in game more correctly show Kurgan in looks and overall Chaos Dedication, as Norscans in lore look like Scandinavians in real life, suprise suprise. This game actually really only properly portrays the northern parts of Norsca in terms of devotion to Chaos. Southern Norsca below the mountains can be lived in, and the people aren't as freakishly Huge and stronk, though still probably larger, reason being that the Mountains of Norsca block most of the Winds that carry Warpstone dust from reaching the old world, and dudes who live there tend to be the scary barbarian brutes we know and hate.
  • OdinsWolfOdinsWolf Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 10
    Ok cool thanks guys especially for the story post @Orkfaeller. Part of this post was me wondering if we might see a fully fledged Norscan faction in the future but it seems they may be too intertwined with Chaos for that but one can hope.
  • Kit_The_Mountain_CatKit_The_Mountain_Cat Registered Users Posts: 2
    From what i heard listening to the story of the norse dwarves the ones that were not corrupted fled south so yeah the humans of the bear kislev and the cities on the other side of the ocean south of norsca, but as far as the Norse dwarves are concerned their old allies went insane and now must be destroyed.
  • destroyer67115destroyer67115 Registered Users Posts: 1,357
    As far as I know most norse in lore aren't corrupted..
  • brago90brago90 Registered Users Posts: 1,430
    Skeggi, is the greatest example.
    However, most of the norsca clans do not worship chaos, they worship their gods who were killed and supplanted by the chaos gods. Causing many to work for chaos without knowing it. This is especially notable among the tribes of the southern Norsca area.
  • OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,212
    My understanding is that Norcsans tend to be polytheistic and their pantheons can be a mish mash of Old World Gods and the Dark Gods, not so much the Classical Gods though.
  • Yurisusuki#2746Yurisusuki#2746 Somewhere in LustriaRegistered Users Posts: 1,367

The Kislevites occupied a more northerly region before migrating to what is now Kislev, in response to the growing threat of Chaos. They conquered the Ungols in the process. There are probably Norscans who do not realize that they are worshipping the four Chaos Gods directly. You might have a Norscan who worships both Ulric (also worshipped in the Empire) and the "Crow Father" (an aspect of Tzeentch) at the same time. He may not realize that the Crow Father is a guise of Tzeentch. However, that doesn't mean he necessarily objects to Tzeentch, just that he thinks they are two separate deities. It's possible that individuals worship a pantheon of gods that happens not to include any on the big four in some manner, but probably doesn't happen very often. You won't find a whole tribe that rejects the Chaos Gods, as they are seen as part of the pantheon, at best you'll find tribes where their worship is relatively less prominent.

The Kislevites didnt come from the eastern steppes? if i remember the lore properly, the Gospodar came from the east, running from the chaos, and by that time they are not alone, some tribes like the Khurgan fougth against chaos before fall to the dark gods.

Now i see, this post is from 2016, jeez some nagash followers here
    Gib mony plox i report u

http://www.pudim.com.br/

SALVATION

• Loupi#8512Loupi#8512 Registered Users Posts: 3,744
    there is a tribe who worship Khaine above the chaos gods, though the chaos gods are still worshipped

• OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,212
    Not exactly a Norcan Tribe per say but you might want to check out the Ulrician Order of the Winter Throne. It has a foot hold in southern Norsca and its current leader is a Norseman by the name of Ulricsson Haargald

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Order_of_the_Winter_Throne
  • TancredIIQuenelles#3970TancredIIQuenelles#3970 Registered Users Posts: 1,330
    In old lore they were not connected to chaos at all. Ot was as l think a very fail drsision to do them chaos in 5th edition.
    As l think there are not chaos norscans if not tribes then persons. There are still dogs of war units and merchants not treated as chaos as they trade civilised races and have quarters there. Dukes of Lioness have notscan blood. So not all are chaos.