Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What CA needs to do to make this more like the Tabletop game we all love

CaezarCaezar Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 188
CA really missed the boat on this. The whole feel of the Warhammer gaming experience is missing from this title. Here's what CA needs to do to fix this:

1. Every unit needs to be sold separately as a DLC for $40-$75 so you can put together your army just the way you want it, piece by piece.
2. Every unit should come without any textures. You just get the wireframe mesh. You get to buy your own editing software to assemble and paint the meshes onto your new units. That way everyone's army is a unique work of art they can be proud of.
3. CA needs to stop providing a complete manual. Instead, CA should sell the section of the manual pertaining to each faction as an "army book" DLC for $50 a piece.
4. To better mimic the WHFB gaming experience, CA should completely revamp the multiplayer interface. In order to find a multiplayer opponent, you should have to look through a list of at least 20 people who are looking to play 40K for every one that is wanting to play TW.

Anything else I'm missing? ;)
Tagged:

Comments

• ChaosDragonBornChaosDragonBorn Registered Users Posts: 1,487
    edited October 2016
    :smirk:
    uh huh, I see what you did there
    I was thinking the same thing earlier today. CA's dlc overload will end up costing less than one table top race put together.
    I'm talking after expansions and everything. Id'd say good deal, considering we will have ALL of warhammer at our finger tips.
  • alex33alex33 Registered Users Posts: 1,094
    edited October 2016
    When they notice that, because they don't update, it it doesn't sell that well anymore they will just release a dlc with a dumb storyline that fracks over the established lore and ends the world in the stupidest way possible. after that they delete the game from steam and instead make an idiotic flashy 40k clone
  • PatriksevePatrikseve Member Registered Users Posts: 1,715
    edited October 2016
    Aha I detected the sarcasm, I thought I was so bad at this. But seriously I have seen table top armies go for well beyond 500 us dollar. I think I saw one close to 800-900 dollar.

And this is why Total Warhammer makes me so happy... because it might come close to 200-300 maybe with all the dlc, expansionpacks together. thats including all the free stuff. And for that well get every army, painted soldiers, great recreated roosters you dont have to pretend wage battle they are litterally doing it. Build your empire in the world beyond what the table top does that really mostly simulate battles with dices and lots of rules. For some tt will be better but for me that couldnt and still cant afford that hobby, total war made it possible for me to really get into this more. And enjoy the universe. Its really a cheap experience in comparrision... and mp is easier to make happen to in this game. :)

• CaezarCaezar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 188

:smirk:
    uh huh, I see what you did there
    I was thinking the same thing earlier today. CA's dlc overload will end up costing less than one table top race put together.
    I'm talking after expansions and everything. Id'd say good deal, considering we will have ALL of warhammer at our finger tips.

Yes, that's what started me thinking about this. But I didn't mean to make this thread about that but rather to lightheartedly poke fun at all of the crap a lot of us put up with and maybe simultaneously point out how perhaps we sometimes look at the past with rose colored glasses when in fact things were never as good as we remember them.
    alex33 said:

When they notice that, because they don't update, it it doesn't sell that well anymore they will just release a dlc with a dumb storyline that fracks over the established lore and ends the world in the stupidest way possible. after that they delete the game from steam and instead make an idiotic flashy 40k clone

Great idea! I hope CA is writing this down.
  • VlKlNGVlKlNG Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 593
    I agree and disagree at the same time.

Truthfully I would prefer they draw from the lore itself more than the TT.
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    don't forget completely changing the ways that units interact with each other in terms of combat ability, how magic works etc every year or so

as well as removing units from the game entirely, or replacing them with similar units with new models that cost more than your old ones, which are no longer allowed to be used but you can set them as your desktop wallpaper to show off to your friends!
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • SecuterSecuter Senior Member Denmark, Aarhus.Registered Users Posts: 2,330
    I was about to make a toxic comment. Then I read through your post. Now I see the light! Preach!!!
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,033
    edited October 2016
    **** off, Tabletop pricing and Digital pricing is not comparable. I can't put my video games on Display on a shelf or my room, I can't put personal flaire into my digital units, the mediums are just not that comparable.
  • alex33alex33 Registered Users Posts: 1,094
    I really do hope that ca punishes people who use the flag feature as downvote. Got flaged for "abuse" yeah sure whatever...

• bennymclbennymcl Senior Member Montreal, CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 2,797
    LOL this gave me a great big smile... kind of reminds me of all the people complaining about DLC too.. how ridiculous most non-table top players have it playing Warhammer in this fashion and not having to spend thousands of dollars in order to have a few full races on the TT lol. Great post
  • SherShahSuriSherShahSuri Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,109
    Never bothered with the tabletop.... prefer never too either. I like the lore, but not the game mechanics of the TT. I prefer the way CA has done everything so far, I only hope they expand a lot more in time to come.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,125

Never bothered with the tabletop.... prefer never too either. I like the lore, but not the game mechanics of the TT. I prefer the way CA has done everything so far, I only hope they expand a lot more in time to come.

I played the TT from probably 1998 to the very end of 7th/ early 8th edition.

I played because I loved the lore and the mechanics were the only representation we had.

the TW format is far better than the TT mechanics. They are great as a source of inspiration, but I wish people would stop pining for the exact mechanics and format of the TT. Nostalgia is powerful but not when it stands in the way of progress.
  • DwarfMasterRaceDwarfMasterRace Registered Users Posts: 1,960
    I hope this post puts into perspective just how totally worth it the full price of the full TW project will be. Seriously. :D
  • bennymclbennymcl Senior Member Montreal, CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 2,797

I hope this post puts into perspective just how totally worth it the full price of the full TW project will be. Seriously. :D

WORD! Imagine the full game at the end in several years... there will be so much content you won't even know what to do with it all! haha
    alex33 said:

I really do hope that ca punishes people who use the flag feature as downvote. Got flaged for "abuse" yeah sure whatever...

I enjoy all of my likes and flags equally B)
    Another idea:

5. CA needs to release a sea battles expansion for $100. After people have spent time and money purchasing their fleets and painstakingly painting textures onto them, CA should just go ahead and eliminate the expansion.
  • Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Registered Users Posts: 4,092
    edited October 2016
    OP assumed my prefered fanbase. Triggered!
    Post edited by Combat_Wombat on
  • SephirexSephirex Right outside your windowRegistered Users Posts: 1,028
    I wish I had a way to favorite this post.
  • psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 2,621
    I'm just glad I have a natural talent for sculpting and carving, or this thread would depress the hell out of me. I can make my own Warhammer miniatures in less time than it takes me to paint them with modern high temperature mold materials.
  • SephirexSephirex Right outside your windowRegistered Users Posts: 1,028
    psychoak said:

I'm just glad I have a natural talent for sculpting and carving, or this thread would depress the hell out of me. I can make my own Warhammer miniatures in less time than it takes me to paint them with modern high temperature mold materials.

This and 3D printing is one of the reasons GW is starting to sink. It's just too much money especially when there are now cheaper alternatives.
    3D printing is actually pretty bad for this unless you want to drop a lot of money on a super high end printer.

The texture problem is rather severe. To get a clean model you have to do a massive level of cleanup on the model after it's finished. It leaves a substantially ribbed surface from the printing process. The cleanup time on a high detail model is severe. You're either stuck with it, or you probably put just as much work into it as you would have carving it yourself should you have any proficiency in such things, and you only have to carve once...

You can use a wax carving, or an original figurine if you have one, to make a pewter casting safe mold with MoldMax 60 that will pretty faithfully duplicate your original pretty easily. I can pop out a Warhammer quality model in a lot less than the several hours it takes me to paint one...

If you do it right, you end up with a multiple piece reusable silicon mold that will handle dozens, if not hundreds, of pewter pours that come out identical in quality to the old Warhammer miniatures before they went to their resin crap and dropped the metal line. Making alternate models is a simple matter of casting a wax version and altering it as needed for new molds.
    i don't think i could be bothered with 3d printed or handmade models. at this point the quality, price and variety of 15mm models makes the idea of just scaling the game down a lot more attractive. obviously there would be an issue of finding opponents, but the price difference is big enough that you could easily make 2 or 3 15mm armies with options for the price of a fairly limited 28mm army using GW models

you could even go down to 10mm or 6mm and play travel hams B)
  • Arcani_4_EverArcani_4_Ever Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,376
    edited October 2016
    Considering this is a 3 part game and we are still in the early stages of part 1

do not be surprised if you do ended up having spent 500 bucks in the game by the time CA has finished developing it.

I wish GW would please the fans and re-released some popular 8th edition figures as part of the deal with CA.

Because i really dont care about Age of Sigmar. In fact i havent bought a figure for Age of Sigmar and still have my old edition figures.
  • Zatrakus95Zatrakus95 Registered Users Posts: 708

Considering this is a 3 part game and we are still in the early stages of part 1

do not be surprised if you do ended up having spent 500 bucks in the game by the time CA has finished developing it.

I wish GW would please the fans and re-released some popular 8th edition figures as part of the deal with CA.

Because i really dont care about Age of Sigmar. In fact i havent bought a figure for Age of Sigmar and still have my old edition figures.

But quite a few AoS minis are almost identical to WHFB ones. Seriously just look at Sylvaneth, Flesh-eater courts or Bonesplitterz, there is hardly any differance between what they used to look like and how they are presented now.
    Quite a few of them aren't too, is there a single faction you can still build an entire 8th edition roster for?
  • Arcani_4_EverArcani_4_Ever Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,376

But quite a few AoS minis are almost identical to WHFB ones. Seriously just look at Sylvaneth, Flesh-eater courts or Bonesplitterz, there is hardly any differance between what they used to look like and how they are presented now.
    I mostly talking about Lords in specific.

Nowadays is pretty hard to get an old Archaon on foot or horse figure. Now you can only buy that uber expensive Everchosen figure.