Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

differences wood, night elves in the game?!

AmazoniacAmazoniac Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 212
yes, I am not an expert in the Warhammer lore and you can see this post somewhat naive. But if you want help me (and others as me) I am grateful

The elves are some unarmored and some weak. they use missile and mounted units, they are quick and smart, besides good magic (or this is what I think).

my question it is simple. The night elves (the most hyped faction to me), are they different enough to wood elves? are the night elves more strong?
thanks
Still loving: WARCRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• sigrsigr Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 714
    Well, they could be seen as fairly similar, only night elves are from an infantilised, aesthetically bankrupt pantomime masquerading as an MMO for the terminally thick, while Wood Elves are from a fantasy universe that is merely derivative. Oh, and Wood Elves are just generally better - for elves that is.
    <insert witty signature>
    Team Parthia
    Team England
    Team Maratha Confederacy
    Team Ikko-Ikki
    Team Something-Something-Germanic
    Team Tomb King, but until then Greenskin

Please return the Parthian avatar to the profile picture choices.
  • obippoobippo Member Registered Users Posts: 2,259
    you mean the dark elves? I dont know if they are stronger but theyre certainly way cooler, they have hydras, degenerate abominations like the karybdiss or the medusa, repeater crossbows, raptor mounts, town sized ships, etc
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.

• SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,537
    Dark elves have as obippo mentioned some cool monsters. They are generally very spiky and wicked looking in terms of style. They're more of a mirror image of High Elves than wood elves who are a lot of hit and run. Sure, you could class all as being glass cannon type of units, but dark elves have more options for when it's up close and personal. :)
    Don't worry.
  • WalrusWalrus Senior Member BrazilRegistered Users Posts: 1,104
    Do you mean dark elves? If so, I can try to point a few differences. In my opinion, in warhammer there is no stronger faction between the elfs. They are divided in wood, high and dark. Wood elves rely on nature, are less armored and have the help from forest creatures. High Elves are from Ulthuan, they are very well trained, they have good infantry, cavalry and high magic. Dark Elves are followers of the Witch King, they take pleasure in killing and doing lots of Slaanesh-like things, they have pretty good infantry, cold ones and witch elfs.
  • Bel_IsarBel_Isar Registered Users Posts: 653
    All elves rely rather on agility and martial prowess than strength or armor. Doesn´t matter if you take Dark Elves (guess thats what you ment with night elves), Wood Elves or High Elves, on the TT they all where rather expensive and squishy but they drowned you under dices ^^. Elven Spearmen could attack with a complete additional row for example and even with the heaviest of weapons, like Greatswords, they´ll allways get the first hit.

The difference is mostly in Culture and Aestatic. Wood Elves are more about bows, Highelves are more about spears and Dark Elves are more about orgies and slaves and dark magic.

Heavy armored Elves with high strength is something you just wont find (for the exception of Heroes/Lords maybe). Thats what propper races, like dwarfs or compared to elves, even humans do.
  • Karnil_Vark_KhaitanKarnil_Vark_Khaitan Member Registered Users Posts: 424
    Which is why Druchii is best elves!
  • HarconnHarconn Registered Users Posts: 937
    They don't need heavy armor, because they are acting too quick to be hit. :-p
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

My German Youtube-Channel - Let's Plays (Strategy, RPG, Indie,...): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChwblqvwr8XxKP0GzCcUb8Q
  • icebernicebern Member Registered Users Posts: 77
    I think op means the dark elves.

Yes the dark elves are different. They are a flexible army like the wood elves but they don't have as many harrasers as the wood elves and prefer to close the distance as quickly as possible to the enemy army and kill it.

The dark elves are generally more armoured than the wood elves, and are (again generally, it may depend on the units we compare) much better than the wood elves on melee, with a focus on the offense, neglecting more the defense. They have many units that are vicious in close combat, it's another glass cannon that doesn't put that much emphasis on ranged, and when I say emphasis I mean that they don't have as many ranged units, because the dark elves with their repeater crossbows can totally rape you.

They have monstrous units like the hydra or the kharibdyss, and their dreadlords could field black dragons. They have light ranged and melee cavalry and heavy cavalry, the latter don't actually ride horses but lizards, they are shock cavalry but quite good in grinding melee too. They also have a flying unit with the harpies.

Overall I would say that the dark elves are stronger than the wood elves in the TT, dark elves can can do what wood elves do almost as good if you pick the right units for that but you can also choose to go for melee or a very balanced army. Wood elves armies are simply not that resilient even if you count freemen and treekin (dryads are more a hammer than an anvil).

The wood elves always seemed to me like the poor brother of the three elven races in the TT. And that is not bad when you consider that both dark and high elves were two of the strongest armies in 7th and 8th edition.
  • PhiloslothicalPhiloslothical Registered Users Posts: 859
    edited November 2016
    Bel_Isar said:

All elves rely rather on agility and martial prowess than strength or armor. Doesn´t matter if you take Dark Elves (guess thats what you ment with night elves), Wood Elves or High Elves, on the TT they all where rather expensive and squishy but they drowned you under dices ^^. Elven Spearmen could attack with a complete additional row for example and even with the heaviest of weapons, like Greatswords, they´ll allways get the first hit.

The difference is mostly in Culture and Aestatic. Wood Elves are more about bows, Highelves are more about spears and Dark Elves are more about orgies and slaves and dark magic.

Heavy armored Elves with high strength is something you just wont find (for the exception of Heroes/Lords maybe). Thats what propper races, like dwarfs or compared to elves, even humans do.

But in the end they're all arrogant pointy eared bitches who think they're better than their cousins. (not to mention lesser races like humans or dwarfs)
    They've at least that in common.
    Praise the sun ! \[T]/
    edited November 2016

But in the end they're all arrogant pointy eared bitches who think they're better than their cousins. (not to mention lesser races like humans or dwarfs)
    They've at least that in common.

It's not arrogance when it's true B)

EDIT: to be fair dark elves are complete psycopaths and egomaniacs, like off the charts, all the elves think themselves better than the rest of the races but dark elves took it a step further and said "so if we are better why don't we rule over everyone and rape their corpses?"
    Post edited by icebern on
  • MooncakeMooncake Registered Users Posts: 588
    edited November 2016
    Dark Elves were probably the second strongest in 7th and 8th, so yeah they are strong.
    edited November 2016
    Besides, you all say they are squishy but don't HE and DE have some armored infantry ?
    I might be mistaking but I'm pretty sure both factions have at least one armored infantry unit.
    Praise the sun ! \[T]/
  • Bel_IsarBel_Isar Registered Users Posts: 653

Besides, you all say they are squishy but don't HE and DE have some armored infantry ?
    I might be mistaking but I'm pretty sure both factions have at least one armored infantry unit.

Yeah well having one Elite Unit with Armor still doesn´t make them "less squishy", at least not on the TT, where you had to take 50% core units. Sadly in TW you can go for full elite, so we might even see fully armored Elven Armys ^^

Praise the sun ! \[T]/
  • ErminazErminaz Senior Member Las Vegas, Nevada, USARegistered Users Posts: 5,559
    And both the Executioners and White Lions are Toughness 3 if I remember correctly, thus squishy. Armor isn't the only factor in Table Top.
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
    edited November 2016

High elves have very well armoured units like the dragon princes of caledor, silver helms, phoenix guard (dat ward save...) And others not that well armored but still capable like the white lions or the swordmasters of hoeth. Then you have the rest who have light armor.

Dark elves are not that well armored but you still have some units like the cold one knights and the warlocks, then the executioners or the black guard.

To give some people an idea of how armoured the dark or high elves are if we include ward saves their armies could be on average better armoured than an army of the empire or close to it.
    edited November 2016
    Erminaz said:

And both the Executioners and White Lions are Toughness 3 if I remember correctly, thus squishy. Armor isn't the only factor in Table Top.

Except Orion each and every elf unit, hero or lord in the three elf armies has toughness 3, it's the same toughness any human has too in the TT.
  • krunshkrunsh Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,692
    icebern said:

Erminaz said:

Except Orion each and every elf unit, hero or lord in the three elf armies has toughness 3, it's the same toughness any human has too in the TT.
    Quite a few human have 4 toughness, actually!
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
    krunsh said:

icebern said:

Erminaz said:

Really? had no idea, which of them?
  • hippoblue64hippoblue64 Registered Users Posts: 21
    edited November 2016
    icebern said:

krunsh said:

icebern said:

Erminaz said:

Really? had no idea, which of them?
    After a quick flip through the army book: Generals, Witch hunters, Warrior Priests, and Wizard Lords.
    The High and Dark elf equivalents (by which I mean the standard heroes and lords) have T3 so I'd say humans are marginally tougher than elves.
  • AxikusAxikus Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 775
    edited November 2016
    If your goal is to impress the ladies, it would be more wise to tell them about the dark elves. Chicks dig raids, spikes, orgies and seamen.
    Creepy wood dwellers - not so much. They're like literally weird and gross.

That's how I got married so I should know.
  • Coldone666Coldone666 Registered Users Posts: 626
    sigr said:

Well, they could be seen as fairly similar, only night elves are from an infantilised, aesthetically bankrupt pantomime masquerading as an MMO for the terminally thick, while Wood Elves are from a fantasy universe that is merely derivative. Oh, and Wood Elves are just generally better - for elves that is.

What a garbage troll with a garbage opinion, WoW is a great game (at least it used to be).
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,656
    Coldone said:

sigr said:

What a garbage troll with a garbage opinion, WoW is a great game (at least it used to be).
    The game is fine. The lore it's based on isn't worth the data it takes up.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • DimitryDimitry Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 318

Coldone said:

sigr said:

The game is fine. The lore it's based on isn't worth the data it takes up.
    The lore until recent years was mostly fine.
    Some recent developments with pandas,time travel and whatnot, not so much.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 13,898
    Warcraft Lore was never really that great. I guess it peaked in Warcraft 3...

Of course, this is entirely off topic.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,419
    There are no "Night Elves" in Warhammer, so naturally some of us may be confused. Let's wait for OP to clarify that point.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • TumbleTumble Registered Users Posts: 552
    Night elves are pretty much the same as wood elfs. Woodland dwelling, scantily clad, bow people with friendly treebeard allies. Wrong universe but sure, they are pretty stronk.
  • petertel123petertel123 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 856
    Canuovea said:

It's also pretty hard to say that warhammer is the pinnacle of fantasy with a straight face though.
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Dark Elves
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 13,898
    edited November 2016

Canuovea said:

It's also pretty hard to say that warhammer is the pinnacle of fantasy with a straight face though.
    Hahahah, oh definitely not. Both have some cool stuff, but neither Warhammer nor Warcraft are the pinnacle of fantasy at all. However, Warhammer benefits from its more... hmm... Moorcockian and Howardian influences, which does bring some advantages. They do give it a darker tone, for instance, if you like that kind of thing.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • DebaucheeDebauchee Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,406
    In my opinion, the "End Times" and "Age of Sigmar" ruined the Warhammer lore, just like WoW ultimately ruined Warcraft.