Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A discussion on magic

2»

Comments

• Sky_SweeperrSky_Sweeperr Senior Member OklahomaRegistered Users Posts: 1,701
    I want magic to be powerful and actually kill units and turn the tides of battle.

Right now it does nothing but flare or make battlelines dissolve.

My solution would be to make magic powerful and devastating, remove the wings of magic completely, and instead have a limited amount of total spells you are allowed to pop of power battle instead of this magic currency system we seem to have.
    A brave man marches into danger and ignores his fear. A courageous man marches into danger while embracing his fear.

CPU: Intel i7 4970k 4.0 Ghz
    GPU: AMD r9 290x 4GB
    RAM: 16GB DDR3

Veteran of the Total War franchise since Shogun: Total war. (I was 10)
  • Lord_NathanaelLord_Nathanael Registered Users Posts: 1,496

I want magic to be powerful and actually kill units and turn the tides of battle.

Right now it does nothing but flare or make battlelines dissolve.

My solution would be to make magic powerful and devastating, remove the wings of magic completely, and instead have a limited amount of total spells you are allowed to pop of power battle instead of this magic currency system we seem to have.

but that is essentially what winds of magic does, you have a set amount of it and some reserves, those are fixed unless you have items that add extra. It is easy to work with, they also balance better versus worse spells and add a slight cooldown so no spellspamming of the lroe with the most amount of useful spells is possible.

thats not where the problem lies, so no need to throw a good system overboard

its the spells themself, they are too weak, too small AOEs and balanced around normal and large unit sizes, which is a shame.

feel free to point out my errors, I'd like to improve my english
  • MoritasgusMoritasgus Registered Users Posts: 744
    The major problem of making magic devastating is it really hurt non magical races or races with less lores.
    Suddenly Empire/HE can wipe the floor with the likes of Bretonnia/Dwarfs/VC because they have access to devastating magic while the others don't and have no counters to being torn apart by wizards.

Maybe CA played it too safe but i've yet to hear a compelling well rounded argument of how more powerful magic can be balanced for all.
  • MutajinMutajin Registered Users Posts: 49
    edited November 2016
    Well, I think too, that magic is currently too weak!

It is already heavy limited due to winds of magic.

A possible solution I could think of would be to increase the power of overcast spells drastically., but if you miscast the overcast spell: The caster not only takes damage, you also lose the winds of magic for the spell and it wont go off!

It is a risky gamble: Do you want to play it safe with weaker spells or do you want to risk to lose the important winds of magic AND let the caster take damage for nothing? But if you take the gamble and you get your spell out: it should be rewarded greatly!

Right now overcast does not matter at all: It does not matter if the caster takes some damage because the spell works anyway! That is not really punishment, because in melee casters usually die very easy!
    But if your spells wouldn't work at all in case of a miscast, you would think twice before you do it!

It is a decision not to take lightly!

I would like it even more if the caster takes AoE Damage in case of a miscast, that way you have to place them away from your own men and plan even more ahead.

Higher risks but also more rewards if you are successful!
  • StrandsStrands Junior Member NorwayRegistered Users Posts: 32
    edited November 2016
    Light
    Bironas Time Warp
    Net of Amyntok
    Pha's Protection

Fire
    Cascading fire cloak
    Fireball
    Flaming sword of ruin

Death
    Soul Blight
    Spirit Leech

Metal
    Transmutation of lead(really none very good spells in lore of metal)

Heavens
    Curse of the Midnight Winds
    Uranons thunderbolt
    Humanic Convergence

Big Waaagh
    Foot of Gork
    Ere we go
    Fist of Gork

Little Waagh
    Itchy nuisance
    Sneaky stabbin

Vampires
    Invocation of nehek
    Raise dead
    Wind of Death

Beasts
    Flock of doom
    Transformation of kadon

Wild

Mantle of Ghorok
    Savage dominion

Are the only spells I think are in a pretty good place. Some of them are strong like Nehek and Flock of doom while some of the mentioned arent that great, but decent.

Some spells I have missed that should be on the viable list or some mentioned that shouldnt be on the list?
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,337
    Fire shouldn't have such amazing buffing spells mate, that's the problem. It's a matter of balance a d style at the same time.

Like, why does urannons thunderbolt have a better affect on an enemy unit than lore of death damage spells?

Why is fires damage spells so bad, and why are it's buffing spells so good yet also so damn cheap? Why is there a spell that increases a single units speed by 24%? worthless. Why do spells like bombardments and vortexes still suck so much ...

Why does metal get 0 help considering how poorly thought out it was?

Most of the wild and beast spells are terrible BTW, except flock of doom and the two summoning spells.

Sneaky stabbing is also rather strong for its cost, a spell like that shouldn't cost so little.

Also all those magic missiles that were needed to the ground... worthless.
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • MrSuplexMrSuplex Member Registered Users Posts: 140
    So is there any point in ever using a wizard lord?
  • oleryscolerysc Registered Users Posts: 56
    Every spell of every magic lore should be balanced just like units of races on regular basis from patch to patch. New skills should be introduced to make them more interesting, currently 50% cooldown is pretty useless. Vortexes are just expensive fireworks for your battle, but not a tool to exploit enemy's formation. OMG, so many thing to fix!

A lot of people don't use magic because it's useless especially for ultra unit sizes. Half a year has passed but we still have the same issues.