Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Possible to patch mods into the game if they are stable and of high quality?

Cherio11Cherio11 Registered Users Posts: 14
I was wondering if this (extremely unusual) thing could ever happen with TW:W, as there are lots of pretty decent mods. First of all is of course the "Unique Empire states (lore friendly)" by Larethian and dontfearme22. Which is a mod that only adds to the game and detracts nothing except maybe the frequency of silly hats seen per minute. At the moment it's probably the closest thing we have to decent faction variety in the empire. And makes the states feel different in many more ways than just starting position. Just a thought i threw around in my head this morning, what do you guys think?

Comments

• DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,917
    I don't see why forcing people to have something they don't want is a good thing. I don't use that mod for a reason, If people want it they will get the mod. What do you hope to accomplish with this feature?

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 14,701

I don't see why forcing people to have something they don't want is a good thing. I don't use that mod for a reason, If people want it they will get the mod. What do you hope to accomplish with this feature?

what reason if i might ask? just out of curiosity?
    The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • Cherio11Cherio11 Registered Users Posts: 14

First i must ask why you don't use it, do you think it looks bad/not good to the lore?
  • JavorJavor Registered Users Posts: 910
    Theoretically possible, but never going to happen. (Thankfully)

First of all far from everyone likes mods, or can even agree which mods would are 'necessary'. I use additional skill points myself, because that's how I like to play, but I wouldn't want to force it on anyone.

I don't understand the deal with people insisting that the game is unplayable without mods, or that some mods don't take away anything from the game. It doesn't matter; use the ones you want, but maybe don't force it on others?

• DebaucheeDebauchee Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,418

It doesn't matter; use the ones you want, but maybe don't force it on others?

Well some modes are a direct "upgrade" of the vanilla with no downsides. For example, the beastmen colour variation.
    I don't any problems with OP's suggestion. "Cities Skylines" has pretty much integrated terramorphing mod.
    edited November 2016

Theoretically possible, but never going to happen. (Thankfully)

First of all far from everyone likes mods, or can even agree which mods would are 'necessary'. I use additional skill points myself, because that's how I like to play, but I wouldn't want to force it on anyone.

I don't understand the deal with people insisting that the game is unplayable without mods, or that some mods don't take away anything from the game. It doesn't matter; use the ones you want, but maybe don't force it on others?

Yes but my point is that there are mods that only makes the game look better, without affecting performance or gameplay at all.
    Altough i understand that "looks better" is subjective, i urge you to try out the mod and then decide if it looks and feel better with or without it. I think you will find that it only adds to the immersion.
    Edit: grammar.
  • JavorJavor Registered Users Posts: 910
    Beastmen colors is not an upgrade in everyone's eyes though.

Thats entirely subjective. I like the beastmen colors as they are for instance. Where do you draw the line?

The point is that CA decides what the main game is, not random modders trying to, as you say, upgrade the game.

They may listen to fan feedback, they may not. Either way, I'm more comfortable with them doing it. Imagine if radious unit mod was made a part of the main game..

I don't like every aspect of the game, but I much prefer the main game and the mods being separate.

Mods add choice, whereas OP wants to remove choice.
  • AdamYahyaAdamYahya Senior Member Kuala LumpurRegistered Users Posts: 3,318

I was wondering if this (extremely unusual) thing could ever happen with TW:W, as there are lots of pretty decent mods. First of all is of course the "Unique Empire states (lore friendly)" by Larethian and dontfearme22. Which is a mod that only adds to the game and detracts nothing except maybe the frequency of silly hats seen per minute. At the moment it's probably the closest thing we have to decent faction variety in the empire. And makes the states feel different in many more ways than just starting position. Just a thought i threw around in my head this morning, what do you guys think?

There were few times, especially the balancing wise kind were taken, at least in ideas for next patch or even some concept mod for previous games which you can see similarities with the next game.

However, in terms of taking a mod or mods as whole into patches are a no-no for various reasons.
    edited November 2016

Beastmen colors is not an upgrade in everyone's eyes though.

Thats entirely subjective. I like the beastmen colors as they are for instance. Where do you draw the line?

The point is that CA decides what the main game is, not random modders trying to, as you say, upgrade the game.

They may listen to fan feedback, they may not. Either way, I'm more comfortable with them doing it. Imagine if radious unit mod was made a part of the main game..

I don't like every aspect of the game, but I much prefer the main game and the mods being separate.

I've never wanted to entrust the community with integrating mods, though. It should be CA's decision.
    No, OP does not want to remove choice. He points out, that some mods look like a direct upgrade over vanilla game. He was wondering if CA should integrated the ones they deem very worthy, the ones that are in line with developers vision of the game. My opinion is that they should. There have been precedents like that in other games (not the Fallout 4, though - nope, nope, nope).
  • Commissar_G#7535Commissar_G#7535 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,826

This is the key point. +1.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • Setrus#7519Setrus#7519 Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,842

Indeed.

Also, legally and PR-wise, that's muuuurky territory.
    Don't worry.
    edited November 2016
    Setrus said:

Indeed.

Also, legally and PR-wise, that's muuuurky territory.
    Actually, only the legal apsect of this suggestion is the real downside. Previous point sounds like strawmaning the OP.
  • EmarthEmarth Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 401
    I'd like the mussilon bret-style vampires.
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394
    honestly I think CA have done the best for everyone on this front, they hire for the DLC team the modders with high ability and good ideas.

this has finally, after a few false starts and other issue, lead to a main team who can build a solid game that runs well and a DLC team that can stretch the creativity of the engine to the limit and think up simple but fun variations on a theme.

Both are held back a bit by the lore and GW but it is very hopeful for the future TWs.
    Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
    Emarth said:

I'd like the mussilon bret-style vampires.

Yeah, that's the idea i was playing with. Who wants the musillion vampires to look exactly like the Sylvanian ones even though they are very different? Surely people would value the fact that subfactions aren't just copies of the main faction but with a different name on the map? That's the biggest immersion breaker for me at the moment.