Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Am I the only one who thinks WE grand campaign is ok?

ManticorusManticorus Posts: 15Registered Users
edited December 2016 in General Discussion
I have just finished WE grand campaign (Orion) on very hard and i think WE are balanced. They play fairly differently then other races but once you embrace that they are not that hard.
I realized once i trade enemy settlements with my outposts i can win pretty much any war. Just run in with all my armies and rampage enemy teritory(allways seed). What you lose by losing one outpost is waaay less than what enemy loses by losing one settlemet and so you basically dont fight directly, but more like war of attrition.
I believe wood elves are gread and balanced, only underwhelming unit in the rooster is the dragon, but then, so are all dragons in game...
I think WE are misunderstood and weak if you play them as you would play traditional Total War faction (like Empire or Dwarves for example).

Comments

• FedorFedor Junior Member Posts: 166Registered Users
    I am playing GC (Orion) and i like it. WE play style are very different from other races. They are isolationists with huge peacefull evolution potential.
    I think units are balanced, roster is very strong when you have medium or high level Lord. No other Lords have such great bonuses for melee and ranged units. I use simple and logically understandable for elfs tactics: stay at woods, be mobile, shoot while moving, keep melee units hidden while enemy is not heavy wounded. Also WE have very effective archers and light cavalry. It is easy to use historical steppe tactics for them. I agree, the main problem with WE is micromanagement. But this is good motivation for coop campaign.
  • FifthOfSpaghettiFifthOfSpaghetti Posts: 1,629Registered Users
    I really like the mini campaign. Didn't like that turn one rush of beast men to the oak, but it's just the early game challenge. It's a lot of fun trying to unite the Wood Elves and end up murdering them all in the name of peace in the Wood.
  • Lukester99xLukester99x Posts: 1Registered Users
    I have just hit turn 50 with Orion (VH), so far i think its great. Fair enough at the start its abit tricky but once you get a full stack you are unstoppable. My suggestion is to get the 400% port income asap and take out estalia for the income and safe outposts. Get the war dances since i find them great and replace the spears quickly lol they kinda suck. one thing i find is that my fellow elves seem to like attacking people and dragging me into wars.

Anyone need help just ask :)
  • FedorFedor Junior Member Posts: 166Registered Users
    edited December 2016

I have just hit turn 50 with Orion (VH), so far i think its great. Fair enough at the start its abit tricky but once you get a full stack you are unstoppable. My suggestion is to get the 400% port income asap and take out estalia for the income and safe outposts. Get the war dances since i find them great and replace the spears quickly lol they kinda suck. one thing i find is that my fellow elves seem to like attacking people and dragging me into wars.

Yeah... Elves make many troubles. I think, may be it is a good strategy to murder them all at the beginning :D
  • PhiloslothicalPhiloslothical Posts: 859Registered Users
    Fedor said:

Yeah... Elves make many troubles. I think, may be it is a good strategy to murder them all at the beginning :D
    Nah, just take defensive pacts, wait to have lvl 3 Oak of Ages then confederate them all in a row.
    This is way less trouble than waging war vs them imo. Plus you can always send them vs beastmen stacks. All WE factions are constantly at war vs them.
    Praise the sun ! \[T]/
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenPosts: 18,476Registered Users

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS WE GRAND CAMPAIGN IS OK?

Not at all, the forum hasn't exploded, so I think most are off playing. :)

Here's my current campaign, going pretty well. Got a strong Bordelaux ally and with Karak Hirn and Wissenland recently added to the pot as well as making slow progress with the Border Princes and the Dwarfs, I feel pretty good about the situation.
    Me and Bordelaux war on the Empire has made it collapse though and the North is torched, so it might be time to turn my attention to Archaon. Given that Mannfred seems to grow ever stronger in the Chaos horde's wake is worrying though. :tongue:

Don't worry.
  • TheBraveKnightTheBraveKnight Senior Member Posts: 1,657Registered Users
    Setrus said:

Here's my current campaign, going pretty well. Got a strong Bordelaux ally and with Karak Hirn and Wissenland recently added to the pot as well as making slow progress with the Border Princes and the Dwarfs, I feel pretty good about the situation.
    Me and Bordelaux war on the Empire has made it collapse though and the North is torched, so it might be time to turn my attention to Archaon. Given that Mannfred seems to grow ever stronger in the Chaos horde's wake is worrying though. :tongue:

Very interesting to see the Empire collapse - How strong is Chaos in ranking, # of armies, and army comp?
    Current Top 3 Total War List

1) Thrones of Britannia - Art style, soundtrack, aging portraits, sieges, politics, and trait system!
    (Prob 3 Kingdoms after I invest more hours. Awesome awesome game!)

2) Warhammer 2 - Eye of the Vortex

3) Shogun 2

Honorable mentions - Medieval 1

• SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenPosts: 18,476Registered Users
    Erstus said:

Setrus said:

Very interesting to see the Empire collapse - How strong is Chaos in ranking, # of armies, and army comp?
    Well the big invasion hasn't yet happened, but they're ranked third while I'm just recently ranked first, supplanting the powerful Dwarfs. :)
    Can only see 2 armies and they're not too bad, if a bit heavy on chariots and spawns, clearly bashed around a fair amount though. Kind of scared of when the "real" invasion hits. :lol:
    Don't worry.
  • TheBraveKnightTheBraveKnight Senior Member Posts: 1,657Registered Users
    edited December 2016
    Setrus said:

Erstus said:

Setrus said:

Well the big invasion hasn't yet happened, but they're ranked third while I'm just recently ranked first, supplanting the powerful Dwarfs. :)
    Can only see 2 armies and they're not too bad, if a bit heavy on chariots and spawns, clearly bashed around a fair amount though. Kind of scared of when the "real" invasion hits. :lol:
    Sounds similar to my Agrund campaign -

http://imgur.com/a/tBaSC

The pre-Archaon invasion just spawned with 4 armies in the North. Currently Kislev has been completely dismantled but I don't visibility on the North.

Swartzhafen managed to conquer Wissenland, Stirland and Averland before a united Wood Elf, Wissenland remnants, Karak Hirn, and Tilea coalition started countering them. The Vampire Counts have full control of Ostermark and are expanding into Ostland while the Empire is locked in a three-way engagement between Elves and Estalia.

I'm excited to see what happens between Chaos and Vampires.

Current Top 3 Total War List

1) Thrones of Britannia - Art style, soundtrack, aging portraits, sieges, politics, and trait system!
    (Prob 3 Kingdoms after I invest more hours. Awesome awesome game!)

2) Warhammer 2 - Eye of the Vortex

3) Shogun 2

Honorable mentions - Medieval 1

• AxikusAxikus Junior Member Posts: 775Registered Users
    edited December 2016
    I'm wrecking everything on hard. Cheap infantry with 60 armor and 55% block chance AND armor piercing? Wild riders with over 200 hundred kills each battle? Backed by that murder machine Orion? That **** is insane, I'm having a blast.
  • OrontesOrontes Junior Member Posts: 452Registered Users
    edited December 2016
    I haven't finished a campaign (not even close), but I find the Welfs fun. I like the Amber idea and that they play so different from other factoins. I think CA did a great job. I'm rather stunned by negative comments about their archery being lackluster. I haven't had any issues.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,985Registered Users
    Its ok. But i was expecting awesome.

No where near the better campaigns but then again not the worst
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • Stealcity637Stealcity637 Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    Just finished on hard with orion. Enjoyed it for the most part only complaint is I was never forced to leave the south to do battle with the other major factions. Spent most of the game fighting southern relms, beastmen, and occasionally brets. I did enjoy the elf style of fighting.
  • PatriksevePatrikseve Member Posts: 1,673Registered Users
    I love them in both campaigns

• JollyRogeroJollyRogero Member Posts: 668Registered Users
    I haven't beat it yet, about 60 turns in. But I am enjoying it thus far. I am liking the detail of a larger forest map and it's ample room for ambushes. I am making a point of trying to ally with and direct the forces of as many WE factions as possible and it's going pretty well so far.
  • yukishiro1yukishiro1 Member Posts: 507Registered Users
    edited December 2016
    Fully leveled Orion is by far the strongest LL in the game (well, aside from Durthu, who is about equal to him), so he tends to make things pretty easy once he's leveled up.

The campaign is easy to win...but that doesn't mean it's particularly well thought out.

I played two campaings with the normal Amber mechanics, then modded Amber to only be for the tree and techs, and this third campaign is WAY better than the last two. Way more flexibility to pursue the path through the game I want, not having to take over or ally with half the damn map.
    Post edited by yukishiro1 on
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,285Registered Users
    edited December 2016
    Does Archaon now comes very late or just in WE campaign? The first stacks came at turn 80 while Archaon himself came at about turn 140 in my campaign.

The last campaigns be WE he came around turn 100 iirc.

The only thing I really don't like is the same map for every outpost battle. Even outposts for settlement by the sea are the same as inlands.

Hope there'll be additonal variation with later updates. If not, Orion will be the only campaign that I'll play.
  • FrontlinerDeltaFrontlinerDelta Senior Member Posts: 3,549Registered Users
    Nah, the Wood Elf campaign is a lot of fun and very different. Feels like a whole new game which is what I want more of. I hope CA goes off in crazy directions again like this. This is great.

There are some quality of life things that I don't care for but overall, it's a good, solid campaign.