Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Wood Elf Balance in Grand Campaign (Multiplayer)

TyrantherusTyrantherus Registered Users Posts: 2
Heya, first post on the board, but for a long time I've been viewing the various posts here as well as the total war forums!

Now, I know Multiplayer Grand Campaigns may not be the most popular of things, but I wanted to bring about an experience that I ended up having playing against one of my friends, and was curious if people have had similar outcomes.

So, I decided, against all odds and against all logic, decided to go with warriors of chaos, where as my friend went with the Wood Elves. (Not the best match up, but hey...)

I have noticed that early game, the wood elves do have a lot of potential issues with beastmen and other factions trying to put an end to them before they can really get rolling. With the only buildings and such feasible of creating new wood elf units, and most of their other tech in that small area, it's understandable for it to give a lot of benefits to the wood elves, although the amount of income you can more or less get from just that small area can be a little obscene imo. I'm relatively ok with that, each faction has its own pro's and cons.

The things I'm a little more irked about though is outposts, hero stacking abilities, and the ability to not take any attrition.

Outposts in multiplayer versus can be obscenely cruel in a multitude of ways, namely that you are not fighting the same limitations as any other faction: Where can you expand in order to capture 60 locations before the opponent if not through victory by defeating the opponent. Because outposts cost so little, and can be placed anywhere, it is VERY easy to outpace and expand further than most other factions in ways that half the playable factions cannot maneuver through with such ease due to the World Roots.

Now, I know Wood Elves are not the only faction to have this, but I feel it lends itself to a partially mean advantage. Hero units that have the ability to grant increased ranks on recruitment by up to +3. If this was applied by only one hero, I could understand it a bit more, stack it with the rank bonuses from structures. That said, he more or less has 3 of the heroes with this ability in order to get an immediate rank 9 on all units he recruited for all his armies (recruit a bunch, trade the heroes off to the next army, repeat). Am I the only one who feels this may be a tad off in terms of balance?

Lastly, it is understandable for Wood Elves to not take damage from things such as swamps, bogs, cold weather, and the wastes as nature does what it can to protect them... However, it thoroughly surprised me when vampiric corruption nor chaos corruption hindered them at all. It felt a little off, considering neither of those can be considered "natural" by any means, let alone how much the Wood Elves despise the chaos corruption from the beastmen at the very least.

While the unit balance is somewhat ok in most regardless for combat, it does feel like the wood elves have a massive advantage in terms of grand campaign abilities. I inquired with my friend about how he felt about it, and he for the most part, agreed with most of the points I've stated. Is it something that should see a bit more attention? If so, what changes would you want to see.
Post edited by CA_Will on

Comments

• myselfnapoleonmyselfnapoleon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 441
    The victory conditions in h2h Mulitplayer Campaign really need some work. As you said, playing as the Welfs, your friend could expand much more quickly than you, and the victory conditions don't account for this discrepancy.
  • HeroofRome1HeroofRome1 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,622

The victory conditions in h2h Mulitplayer Campaign really need some work. As you said, playing as the Welfs, your friend could expand much more quickly than you, and the victory conditions don't account for this discrepancy.

CA really need to change the objectives to killing the other player, or something along those lines.
    Team Rome, Team Byzantium, Team Dwarfs, Team Empire, Team Bretonnia Team Grim, Team elf slayers, Team Belegar.
  • SaphironSaphiron Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 827

CA really need to change the objectives to killing the other player, or something along those lines.
    Attila had amazing victory conditions. Basically the same as single player - capture certain provinces, certain cities, eliminate certain factions, defeat the Huns, maintain total unit count, have a certain treasury etc etc.

I was so very bummed to see them drop all that for no discernible reason. It's the reason warhammer will never be as much fun in versus campaign.

You could also just kill the other guy, of course.