Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

TW Warhammer is too simplified

R3loadR3load Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 26
edited January 2017 in General Discussion
1) Worst Siege Mechanics, i can attack only one or two side of the city not like previous total war where i can choose every side.
Ladders that spawn when climb walls.
Walls just disappear when destroyed, no animation, only smoke that cover everything.

2) No naval battles, i'm 100% sure that they will add in the next big expansion.

3) Dumbed down map campaign.

4) Fast arcade battles

5) Graphics downgrade, where is fire like attila, day/night switch, seasons?
Post edited by R3load on

Comments

• CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2017
    1) You mean... walls matter now and AI can actually do things? And cities aren't hilariously tiny to fit the scale?
    Ladders? You basically mean like... Shogun 2? When folks just climbed the walls? Which is about as unrealistic and silly?
    Yeah, true about the walls disappearing. Rather have the other stuff we got though.

2) Well, the map isn't really suited for it to be honest, so I don't feel we're really missing anything at this junction.

3) How so? Or do you mean no battle maps that are linked to, say, bridge battles? I agree some more of that might be nice. The Campaign map actually seems to be pretty good though, if only because of the different abilities and interplay they have. Stances are nice.

4) You mean like Shogun 2 and Rome 1? Because I played some of those recently and the battles were over right quick. Medieval 2's combat was like molasses. This might sometimes be faster than Attila or Rome 2, but it can vary depending on matchup.

5) I dunno, maybe? I can play it at least, and wait times after hitting end turn are significantly lower. It certainly looks more distinct to me.

As for the Pros, the main one for me is that there is such great variety of factions.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394
    It's the best despite all your points, although 5 is lacking only in option not ability.
    Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
  • HondlisHondlis Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 681
    Memnon said:

Its definitly not worse TW....its good game-but sadly ALL 5 points its true....

yep
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 9,671
    There's definitely some things that could be better. But for me this has the one thing that has kept me from playing any of the previous titles. It pairs a lack of a historical title with the presence of Warhammer.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • PhiloslothicalPhiloslothical Registered Users Posts: 859
    edited January 2017
    I'd rather say best potential as a Total War game. Warhammer setting is just perfect for it.
    Praise the sun ! \[T]/
  • iceniiicenii Senior Member The PhilippinesRegistered Users Posts: 1,373
    R3load said:

1) Worst Siege Mechanics, i can attack only one or two side of the city not like previous total war where i can choose every side.
    Walls just disappear when destroyed, no animation, only smoke that cover everything.

2) No naval battles, i'm 100% sure that they will add in the next big expansion.

4) Fast arcade battles

Yes but I'm sure if you just ignore those points you will find something positive about this game. I mean it's not as if CA have a bigger facility or better tech or more employees or employees who have more experience or that CA has a bigger budget than they did 5/10/15 years ago.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii ".
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 6,179
    Sure, worse than Shogun 1...

I swear, some people...
  • R3loadR3load Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 26
    Canuovea said:

1) You mean... walls matter now and AI can actually do things? And cities aren't hilariously tiny to fit the scale?
    Ladders? You basically mean like... Shogun 2? When folks just climbed the walls? Which is about as unrealistic and silly?
    Yeah, true about the walls disappearing. Rather have the other stuff we got though.

2) Well, the map isn't really suited for it to be honest, so I don't feel we're really missing anything at this junction.

3) How so? Or do you mean no battle maps that are linked to, say, bridge battles? I agree some more of that might be nice. The Campaign map actually seems to be pretty good though, if only because of the different abilities and interplay they have. Stances are nice.

4) You mean like Shogun 2 and Rome 1? Because I played some of those recently and the battles were over right quick. Medieval 2's combat was like molasses. This might sometimes be faster than Attila or Rome 2, but it can vary depending on matchup.

5) I dunno, maybe? I can play it at least, and wait times after hitting end turn are significantly lower. It certainly looks more distinct to me.

1)Ai is not improved, they just simplified siege battles, so ai seems more capable.

2)yes, i agree but it were in every total war since napoleon or empire, dunno.

3)I mean taxation on or off, squalor, sanitation ecc ecc
    Campaign map is oversimplified, it's not fun for me, there is no challenge.

4)Yes, but i like more slow battles, not apm clickfest, there's no strategy in that.

5)No day/night switch is a huge letdown, night battles in attila are amazing expecially when settlements burn.
  • Pr4vdaPr4vda Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,374
    1) Imo, sieges are better, even if the AI is still not perfect. But I would appreciate more diversity and more difficulty for some sieges (I mean, sieging a dwarf KARAK is not just rushing a single wall... just gimme what we saw in the Dwarf trailer, with the possibility to put cannons ON the wall ! I feel my cannons are totally useless in defence ...).

2) I hope to see naval battles. Right now, it's useless because there is not that much sea, it would add nothing. But once New World arrives, I can't wait to see bording actions and, who knows, sea monsters ! would be awesome.

3) I like that map. More diversity however on the battle maps would be very welcome, depending on where you fight on the campaign map...

4) A bit more time on battle would be cool. 1 or 2 minutes max. 30/40 minutes battles are boring, imo.

5) Attila only had humans. Here, we've hundred of animations. We can't have everything. The game is still pretty and, at least, work well on the majority of PC. It's enough for me.
    Team Dawis

Dawis shall purge all their fallen Karaks, with the blood of the Greeskins and the skavens !
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,136
    Hondlis said:

Memnon said:

Its definitly not worse TW....its good game-but sadly ALL 5 points its true....

yep
    agreed

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • PrayPray Registered Users Posts: 1,491
    only best part is Warhammer theme , if use Greek or another real life theme this game absolutely trash .
  • seienchinseienchin Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,572
    Well the better question would be what the worst TW game was...
    There is no bad TW game per se so what is the least good???

Rome 1? Outdated but fun and absolutely ahead of its time?
    Shogun 1? Really outdated but started it all? (Literally doesnt start on a lot of modern pcs though...)
    Empire? Worst optimized game with absolut braindead AI? Its still really loved by many people (including me...)
    Napoleon? Smallest content. Not a lot to do compared to most other TWs.
  • SnikitSnikit Registered Users Posts: 233
    edited January 2017
    That is true, but the maps are gorgeous, the scale of the cities feel enormous. When attacking let's say Altdorf, I really have the feeling I'm attacking one of the biggest, if not the biggest, city of the Old World.
    Naval battle are the last thing I want in this setting, but with the addition of the New World I don't know if they can get away without them.
    Maybe. But it works, it's beautiful, the wait times are more than acceptable. And it's perfectly functional.
    4) Fast arcade battles
    Yes, but they feel great. Battles are actually the part of this game I love the most. They look great, charges feel impactful, animation are really nice.
    My biggest problem is the ridiculous ragdolling on high mass unit charges, when looking up close up, the 50-100m flying backwards look ridiculous.
    And even if they are faster, they remain tactical. And the better the knowledge of the game the greater the tactical play becomes. Pulling out victories against all odds is possible and rewarding.
    Overall I prefer those faster, more involving, better looking battles than the slow, annoying at times ones.
    Good question.
    My Rig - CPU:I: Overclocked potato RAM: 2xBanana power X-26 GPU: Moulder-issued horde of calculator slaves

Team Skaven Team Me-Myself
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,686
    seienchin said:

Shogun 1? Really outdated but started it all? (Literally doesnt start on a lot of modern pcs though...)
    Empire? Worst optimized game with absolut braindead AI? Its still really loved by many people (including me...)

Not having played Shogun 1, I have to go with Rome 1. All compared to one another, Rome 1 is horrible, even ignoring graphics.
    Controls are weird, campaign and battle AI extremely poor, mechanics such as squalor nigh on broken after some time, mechanics like diplomats busy-work and the historical authenticity standing much in question.
    Don't worry.
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,686
    Setrus said:

seienchin said:

Not having played Shogun 1, I have to go with Rome 1. All compared to one another, Rome 1 is horrible, even ignoring graphics.
    Controls are weird, campaign and battle AI extremely poor, mechanics such as squalor nigh on broken after some time, mechanics like diplomats busy-work and the historical authenticity standing much in question.
    Rome 1 and it's having a border with player is cause for war regardless of how good of an ally you are to eachother
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• StylianStylian Registered Users Posts: 83
    No...... just no......
    "Anything's a **** if you're brave enough" - Abraham Lincoln
  • MerciiMercii Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 916
    It's a different line from the historical total war series, a new thing, and there's not much point comparing it to previous total wars as its not trying to do the same thing IMO.

Compare the next historical game to previous total wars. Wait till another non-historical game is released to give something to really compare this to.

But I reckon its pretty great despite the flaws OP mentioned.
  • capybarasiesta89capybarasiesta89 Senior Member Bath, UKRegistered Users Posts: 4,559
    It's not worst, definitely the best but all points you made are valid apart from naval battle couldn't care less to be honest. Never liked Naval battles in R2/Attila in games like AC4 or Napoleon TW yes for sure.

Lack of night and seasons sucks and it's worst excuse "Time doesn't pass in game" well there is no need to just have turns like now and add seasons changing plus night battle for all Races but mostly Vamps and Beastmen.
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,686

Setrus said:

seienchin said:

Rome 1 and it's having a border with player is cause for war regardless of how good of an ally you are to eachother
    Unless the senate demanded you'd blockade the port of your nearby ally first, that is. :lol:
    Don't worry.
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394
    pray said:

only best part is Warhammer theme , if use Greek or another real life theme this game absolutely trash .

That doesn't stop it being the best it just means CA better not put the focus on the heroes/monsters/magic/different battle types(underground, beast path, meteor crash site)/corruption for the next historical game.

Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
  • SherShahSuriSherShahSuri Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,109
  • Ranger275Ranger275 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 161
    As a community, we are the whiniest bunch of people ever.
  • ShermanSherman Member Registered Users Posts: 903

It's not the worst, but you are right in everything.
  • bydlobydlo Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 159
    edited January 2017
    Canuovea said:

Being ignorant does not make you any credit, fanboya.
  • R3loadR3load Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 26
    edited January 2017
    Ranger275 said:

As a community, we are the whiniest bunch of people ever.

It's CA's fault, in every total war one step forward two steps back.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 29,161
    edited January 2017
    bydlo said:

Canuovea said:

Being ignorant does not make you any credit, fanboya.
    The picture shows them using a ladder and those climbing falling off the wall for the most part.

FAIL!

• Wing ZeroWing Zero Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 834
    Best multiplayer battles, sadly no support for multiplayer matchmaking.

And not enough friendly game modes to encourage campaign noobs to play.
    ''The difficulty of tactical maneuvering consists in turning the devious into the direct, and misfortune into gain.
    -Sun Tzu

"Tolerance, Diversity, Strength"
    - Seleucid

Team Chaos Dwarf
This discussion has been closed.