Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Elven Archers - Are they the worst?

Jay_AbaddonJay_Abaddon Registered Users Posts: 1
edited April 2017 in General Discussion
Elven archers are great don't get me wrong but they can't pair with any other unit. I've, in my entire life of playing RTS games, never seen as much team killing as the Elven Archers. Their accuracy works against them when firing into the front lines and instead of arrows plopping down and hitting heads of the enemies the always fly right into your Elven Soldiers backs. It's gotten to the point where I expect to come out with at least 200 Friendly Fire "Incidents" if I bring anything to hold the line. This of course is problematic leading to longer times of me sitting there replenishing units. I have better times using Brettonian Peasant Archers and even Ungor Herds seem to do about 1/50th of the friendly fire even being extremely less accurate.

Anyone else have this problem or notice it? I'd ask for tips to avoid it but even being on the higher ground only negates about 1/4 of the Friendly Fire.

Comments

• corvus_codex#4567corvus_codex#4567 Junior Member SpainRegistered Users Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2017
    if you get such casualties for friendly fire, is your problem, not they.
    you need to use them better.
    Post edited by corvus_codex#4567 on
    "I am the harbinger of your demise. I am the nightmare in all mortals. I am the thing you fear the most. I am death..."
    —Valkia the Bloody.
  • KrilralKrilral Member Registered Users Posts: 910
    Well, I gotta say...you should never shoot directly into melee from the back of your own soldiers. Your own guys will be completely unprotected whereas you will be hitting the often shielded front of the enemy. What you should be doing (IMO of course) is trying to get your archers to a position where they shoot into the sides or even backs of the enemy. The wood elf archers are good at this, because they are so fast and many of them have 360 degree fields of fire.

Failing that, you can try instead to make your archers shoot across the frontline, so the guys on the right shoot at the enemies on the left and vice versa. That often helps them get a clear shot.
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    If you take advantage of their mobility and get the archers on the flanks instead of assuming they're all Orlando bloom they work pretty well
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • Busa1227Busa1227 Registered Users Posts: 3,118
    boyfights said:

instead of assuming they're all Orlando bloom

:D:D:D

• ConanthelibrarianConanthelibrarian Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 234
    I often use them to shoot at a unit until, they come in close with my infantry line. Then I switch them to the unit farthest away from the line. Treat way once each enemy infantry group reaches my defensive line they are already hurting.

I also use them to take out enemy cav, then the archers.
    Just takes a little micromanaging.
  • persons_unknownpersons_unknown Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 21
    There are a few things you can do to compensate, fire at large units, start hitting their melee units till they engage in combat with yours then switch to targets not currently in melee like their archers, heroes ect.

I deploy my archers on the flanks with one or none at the center, shoot any cav to shreds with one or two units to screen then use archers to flank so they get clean shots.

You can also deploy in a line with small gaps between your infantry any units that try to swarm between those gaps get killed fairly quickly i tend to do this with guns but might work with elf archers too.

If you do deploy in a line i find cross fire less prone to friendly fire i.e have your archers on the right fire to the left and visa versa, just don't deploy too close to your front line or when they turn the formation they may enter into melee.
  • Tempus_fugit#2711Tempus_fugit#2711 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,404
    edited April 2017
    You should have played TWs in the days past. You think THIS level of friendly fire is bad? You, obviously, have never fired one of your own guys right OVER your lines with one of your scorpion bolts sticking through him just because you positioned your archer auxillia a bit too close.

Basic advice from the days of R:TW still count:
    * Never fire on units engaged with yours. Krilral said it above. (A couple of patches ago, you could NOT fire on enemy units engaged with yours... at least my dwarf thunderers refused to shoot at enemies engaged with my units in one of the earliest iterations.)
    * Move to the flanks and then fire in arcs over your units into the enemy flanks.
    * Fire on enemies behind the melee.
    * Stop shooting if there is nothing else to do.
    * Fire on enemies fleeing combat.

In R:TW there was also a marked bias if you shot at enemies on their unshielded side (right-hand side), causing a lot more damage. I used to have my archers positioned on the left parts of my lines for this reason. This is no longer the case.
    There is no time but the present. – S:TW Hojo, R:TW Brutii/Germania/Alemanni(BI), Med2: Venice, S2: Oda, R2: Julia/Boii/Suebi/Lusitani, Attila: Geats/Garamantians, WH: All factions VH, Wood Elves on L. TWWH2: Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Skaven, Khalida, High Elves, Vampirates. ME: Khalida, Vampire Counts, Carcasonne, Wood Elves
  • FrostPaw#5051FrostPaw#5051 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,226
    Wood Elf missile troops are meant to be skirmishers, they have the uniquely powerful ability to move and shoot AT THE SAME TIME!

If you are using them to stand and trade missile fire you are gonna lose because they're supposed to be moving. Now if you're running circles around the stationary enemy missile unit then you're capable of winning.

Leave the few melee units you have at the back of the map, fall back as enemy advances, do it manually to maintain direction and by the time the enemy army reaches your few melee units they're badly mauled or broken.

Avoid engaging heavy cavalry/chariot armies this way but everything else is an exhausted pincushion.

• Lord_Nathanael#8065Lord_Nathanael#8065 Registered Users Posts: 1,496
    dat clickbait title though

feel free to point out my errors, I'd like to improve my english
  • IcestrugleIcestrugle Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,257
    its just me that i found them preaty good even in the back. I usualy keep treekins and treemans as tank units and shoot enemy from the back with archers.
  • lucibuis#6195lucibuis#6195 Registered Users Posts: 7,168

its just me that i found them preaty good even in the back. I usualy keep treekins and treemans as tank units and shoot enemy from the back with archers.

Same, I don't see much friendly fire?
    Ariel only, no fads allowed.

• EinarialEinarial Member Registered Users Posts: 372
    edited April 2017
    I think units still won't fire if they get the 'blocked' tag above the unit portrait - thunderers fire direct whereas the archers fire on an arc(h) so they are less often completely blocked and instead get a little 'obstructed' tag but fire anyway.

* Never fire on units engaged with yours. Krilral said it above. (A couple of patches ago, you could NOT fire on enemy units engaged with yours... at least my dwarf thunderers refused to shoot at enemies engaged with my units in one of the earliest iterations.)

Edit: I think the bigger the gap between your archers and the back of your melee troops the less friendly fire you'll encounter because the arrows have to take a higher arc and fall more, rather than spearing into the back of your guys engage with the front line.
  • wingren013wingren013 Registered Users Posts: 1,084
    shooting into melee form behind your dudes tends to result in friendly fire.
  • lucibuis#6195lucibuis#6195 Registered Users Posts: 7,168
    So I was positioning my army wrong all of this time...
    Ariel only, no fads allowed.

• yukishiro1yukishiro1 Member Registered Users Posts: 511
    You want your archers to be shooting into the flanks or rear anyway, much more damage, and given the ability to move and fire if you use them intelligently elf archers can reposition without the loss of damage output, unlike all other factions' archers.

• ButtDragonButtDragon Registered Users Posts: 55
    On the topic of skirmish cavalry this seems to be an appropriate time to mention that Gyrocopters needs buffs
  • EinarialEinarial Member Registered Users Posts: 372

On the topic of skirmish cavalry this seems to be an appropriate time to mention that Gyrocopters needs buffs

Wrong thread I think
  • ButtDragonButtDragon Registered Users Posts: 55
    edited April 2017
    Einarial said:

Wrong thread I think

I mean they are pretty much skirmish cavalry aint they? Speedy unit shooting at units. They just happen to be flying

EDIT: ohhh ooops I did post it in the wrong thread. Meant to post it in the skirmish cavalry one
    Post edited by ButtDragon on