Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Multiplayer strats that need to be balanced. Manually land flying units.

ForrestForrest Posts: 2Registered Users
edited April 2017 in Feedback & Suggestions
https://gyazo.com/726dd1c5c3da36d5577155fe2d344b54

I am getting tired of these cheap strats, so annoying and boring... first he goes for my flying lord that stands no chance at all, then he just flies there shooting my army. Later he comes in with the trees, which was not needed btw, which can't be killed either.

I also versed someone that had 4 tanks, 1 flying hero and one flying lord. I COULD'VE had a tiny chance to win, if only I could manually land my flying lord and seek cover in my armies, but landing is not a thing in this game. Why? I don't know.

I talked to the elf guy and he told me he was a very high rank and won like 400 battles in a row last patch. Balanced?

My suggestion is that something has to be done against these strat because they ruin the experience for those who build a normal army setup. The most easy way of doing that would probably be for example limiting the amount of tanks in and army to 2 to counter the tank strat, and for elves and maybe other factions, limit the amount of giant units to a small number as well.

Other cheap strats would have to be approached differently.

I think that there should be strats of course, but I think such strats should involve having atleast 3 normal ground troops... not purely flying units etc.

And another suggestion that I think no one would disagree with is: Allow flying units to manually land, it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't be able to. This would help in many situations where the enemy just rushes you with flying units to instantly take out your lord.

Bonus suggestion: Fix the whole "close defeat" thing, that was clearly not a "Close Defeat", it should've been "Decisive Defeat"

Comments

• NflicknerNflickner Junior Member Posts: 58Registered Users
    Manually landing is a great idea.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,287Registered Users
    A landing button would increase the amount of viable cheese tactics, not prevent them.
  • SaphironSaphiron Junior Member Posts: 827Registered Users
    edited April 2017

A landing button would increase the amount of viable cheese tactics, not prevent them.

Not if the dev is smart. Make it a strategic choice, when the toggle is on keep them down for a certain amount of time or have a stamina cost to take off again, and give penalties to melee defense, attack, and charge bonus while on the ground. This way fliers can escape unwinnable situations for defensive purposes, but not abuse it to become the equivelant of super cavalry. Nobody is suggesting you land your monsters with the VC and turn them into full power monsterous cavalry, but they should be free to take cover behind a hill or escape certain death by joining the ground forces below. I mean maybe they can still fight, but they should be far less effective and far more vulnerable when toggled to land.

Done right, it would add layers of new strategy, not cheese. Use the toggle, get the debuff while it's active. Same principal as a toggled ability in attila.

There some very good threads on this with some well thought out and clever solutions to the cheese potential. It would be easily avoided, and automatically losing a battle because your lord is on a flying mount but you are part of a faction like the greenskins who have few fliers and get attacked by a faction with more air options is just silly.

I can already land for combat, but if i get attacked and the enemy has air superiority and I have 2000 spearmen below, my choices are fight and die or withdraw my lord from the map, despite riding a creature that already has the ability to land and the seas of spearmen who could defend him below.

Stupidest mechanic in the whole game. Totally artificial and immersion breaking. And it's a huge missed opportunity if we're just stuck with this invisible wall BS for three straight games.
    Here's one huge thread on it:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/187054/flying-units-landing/p1

Here's my own:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/187134/need-the-ability-to-land-and-dismount-it-makes-sense-and-its-a-weird-oversight/p2

Both full of great ideas.

Hope the devs are listening. Are we really stuck with an invisible barrier between ground and flying forces for the whole trilogy, except when attacking a unit? There's a reason nobody uses wyverns as the greenskins, it's an automatic loss against any enemy with proper fliers, and no options.

A toggle and a debuff to creatures when forced to stay down.
  • Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Posts: 4,092Registered Users

You're assuming allowing manual landing will make goon squads and the strong air force factions stronger which I really don't see. The only thing this will do is make bringing a weaker air force possible now. Your flyers won't get mailed in the offset of the battle if you can let them land and take cover in a unit of halbards or strong cavalry. This idea actually promotes build variety rather than it would the mass flyers we see so often now.

You're assuming allowing manual landing will make goon squads and the strong air force factions stronger which I really don't see. The only thing this will do is make bringing a weaker air force possible now. Your flyers won't get mailed in the offset of the battle if you can let them land and take cover in a unit of halbards or strong cavalry. This idea actually promotes build variety rather than it would the mass flyers we see so often now.

I agree completely. And a debuff to attack and defense to reflect the less agile landing state when it's toggled would keep them from steamrolling on the ground. Their place would be in the sky, with defensive options when facing off against superior flying forces (which could then target other vulnerable spots in your army).

It's totally doable. CA just has to do it right.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file