Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Chevrons

22g22w22g22w Junior MemberPosts: 6Registered Users
Hello,

I've searched for hours to find a way of getting my units to the highest rank in Napoleon: Total War. I found a lot of tables showing the numbers when a unit gets a new rank, but is there also a way of getting to these ranks. So far i've only reached rank 6 in the campaign, this doesn't last long because of the replenishment. Also if you fight numerous battles with them they stay around rank 2/3. So my question is: Is there any way of obtaining a higher rank on the campaign?

Thanks for your effort,

22g22w

Comments

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,072Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Perhaps try merging units with similar stats instead of letting them replenish. That way you don't dilute the rank so much.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • 22g22w22g22w Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users

Perhaps try merging units with similar stats instead of letting them replenish. That way you don't dilute the rank so much.

Thanks for you reply but i've already tried doing that, after merging unit after unit you still end up having a few rank 4 units but I do not manage to get any rank further. :neutral:
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,072Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    It may depend how you play, and which faction. I usually managed to get level 9 artillery with GB but the infantry never went particularly high, and I hardly used cavalry apart from chasing down routers.
    It may also depend on unit size and possibly what types of battles you are in. I used to get a load of xp fighting attacking sieges. If you get it right you can force the AI to sally out through a breach that you have covered with firepower, and just shoot them like fish in a barrel.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

It may depend how you play, and which faction. I usually managed to get level 9 artillery with GB but the infantry never went particularly high, and I hardly used cavalry apart from chasing down routers.
    It may also depend on unit size and possibly what types of battles you are in. I used to get a load of xp fighting attacking sieges. If you get it right you can force the AI to sally out through a breach that you have covered with firepower, and just shoot them like fish in a barrel.

Could it also help to fight every battle manually instead of autoresolving the small battles? And putting the campaign difficulty on extreme would give more opportunities to fight battles?
    Also by unit size, would you then suggest 80, 120 or 160?

Thanks again ;)
    Fighting manually tends to reduce your own casualties and increase kills. You should be able to engineer more battles without having to increase difficulty by causing regions to rebel, but that might help as well given that you are likely to be fighting higher xp opposition. I don't know about unit size - you would have to look at the rank increase criteria and do a little maths.

So you are saying that when the enemy units also have more xp your units gain more xp? I still continue to struggle with gaining unit experience. Its quite frustrating when something is in the game but you can not achieve it without buying it in a random battle.
    Well, it's a long time since I played NTW, but I'm pretty sure that you get more xp for wrecking a good unit than an average one for example.

• GoslingGosling Senior Member Posts: 1,887Registered Users
    Just kill lots of stuff with out dying...that's the scientific answer.
    "I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns and cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash heads, break faces, and jump up and down on the bits that are left.

An' den I'm gonna get really mean."

Grimgor Ironhide, Black Orc Warboss.
    Gosling said:

This leads back to my question whether there is no other way of gaining the xp without playing a ton of battles. Also it seems that when one unit loses a lot of men, it gets more xp. So thereby your answer of killing a lot without dying is tricky.
  • GoslingGosling Senior Member Posts: 1,887Registered Users
    22g22w said:

Gosling said:

This leads back to my question whether there is no other way of gaining the xp without playing a ton of battles. Also it seems that when one unit loses a lot of men, it gets more xp. So thereby your answer of killing a lot without dying is tricky.
    No: units can only get experience by fighting battles.

I don't think that there is any correlation between losing men and gaining xp. I think it's because the units who lose the most men are fighting the most, so gain more xp.
    "I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns and cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash heads, break faces, and jump up and down on the bits that are left.

An' den I'm gonna get really mean."

Grimgor Ironhide, Black Orc Warboss.
    edited May 2017
    Gosling said:

22g22w said:

Gosling said:

No: units can only get experience by fighting battles.

I don't think that there is any correlation between losing men and gaining xp. I think it's because the units who lose the most men are fighting the most, so gain more xp.
    Then why do the xp threshold tables display a numbers lost column?

Experience Threshold Value Loss Kill
    xp1_land 350 150
    xp2_land 650 400
    xp3_land 1050 1100
    xp4_land 1700
    xp5_land 2400
    xp6_land 3100
    xp1_naval 400 100
    xp2_naval 800 300
    xp3_naval 1600 600
    xp4_naval 1000
    xp5_naval 1500
    xp6_naval 2100

I can't remember if this is from ETW or NTW, but there is a similar table in both games.
    I'm also not sure if this is a complete version. If it is, it would seem that once you have reached a certain level the losses are no longer relevant and it then goes on pure kills.