Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A Total War Saga – Announce Blog

Comments

• Sebor02Sebor02 Posts: 317Registered Users
    Wasn't there supposed to be 3 Historical titles coming???

1. New historical era titla
    2. Flashpoint standalone
    3. dlc campaign for one of the existing games?

Has number 3 been scrapped???
  • DJ RAHDJ RAH Posts: 2Registered Users
    This sounds great but, will it be enjoyable for all total war players I was a big fan of Empire Napoleon and fall of the samurai and have been hoping for a shooting Total war for years now Sincerly,
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 3,130Registered Users
    Sebor02 said:

2. Flashpoint standalone

It was 2 or 3 not both 2 and 3 to the best of my recollection.
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKPosts: 1,346Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    Sebor02 said:

2. Flashpoint standalone

All 3 of those are still happening :)
    Game Director - Thrones of Britannia

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,605Registered Users
    @Jack_Lusted_CA I thought dlc campaign will be released by the end of the year.... Am I wrong?
  • ShermanSherman Member Posts: 880Registered Users

Judean war
    Something in Armenia
    Something in Dacia
    Something in Britannia

Something not rome centered (Sasanid)

I don't know.......
  • chrissher7chrissher7 Junior Member Posts: 2,038Registered Users
    edited July 2017
    jamreal18 said:

Will the flashpoint going to be revealed before Warhammer 3 or after?

How I wish there are more news from historical department...

------

Jack: We’ll announce it properly in the next few months, but I can say that it’s another SPIRITUAL follow-up to Total War: ROME II, like Total War: ATTILA, and moves the time period forward in much the same way.

is Constantine involved in this game?
    Whenever it's about Rome and Spiritual, Constantine comes to my mind...

Think it will be for the first half of 2018 IMO. Reckon the big new historical game or even Warhammer III will be late 2018 as I don't think they would do 2 big games in 1 year.

• ESKEHLESKEHL Senior Member Posts: 484Registered Users
    Well the picture seems pretty close to the campaign maps of Rome II and Attila, so my guess is around that period. Perhaps another release in a similar style as that of Attila set in roman times? Perhaps something in the imperial period?

I have to agree with @dge1 . I do like the more open-ended approach of Medieval and Rome games. However I have played Attila extensively as well as going through Napoleon once which was great fun. And I do have to say both games are extremily fun! If Attila counts into the saga concept that could pretty much mean anything from a military campaign to a century of warfare. I see Attila as pretty open-ended as well but with a backdrop with climate change and the hunnic hordes.

But if there is one thing I would advice CA to take with them going forward, is this; don`t streamline to much! Players are intelligent, and some actually like microing their empire! For example, I liked the UI and campaign features of Rome: Total War, Medieval II, Empire and Shogun II. It gave you lots of info, and had a proffessional look. Rome II in that aspect seemed like it was produced for a direct port to consoles. Attila was better but suffered from similar things, in my opinion
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 685Registered Users
    I'm disappointed that they didn't give more information, they just told us that they will call these flashpoint games "Total War Sagas", everything else we already knew. I hate this teasing!

But I'm very excited for historical TW titles, as much as I enjoy TW WARHAMMER, I still prefer historical titles.
  • Bura89Bura89 Senior Member Pisaurum, ItalyPosts: 596Registered Users
    edited July 2017
    I'm not into those focused campaign, I guess I'll have to see.

Jack said:
    "I can say that it’s another spiritual follow-up to Total War: ROME II, like Total War: ATTILA, and moves the time period forward in much the same way."
    then
    "Civil wars, great conquests, rebellions and uprisings, religious movements. As with Total War traditionally, there’s an almost endless list of possibilities of time periods and settings for future Total War Saga games."

I'd bet it's about Emperor Constantine.

And how will this "Saga" work anyway? Will it be some sort of "episode update" title, like let's say, "Episode 1 - boshin war" and "Episode 2 - viking invasion" or all of them will be separate games like Attila and Napoleon?
  • HerrickHerrick Posts: 177Registered Users
    It would be great if it would be about the Diadochi wars.
    Maybe The Syrian Wars (Seleucid vs Egypt) could be a good DLC idea for Rome II.
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    Looking to seeing what comes out of this Saga business. Jack Lusted is a safe pair of hands from a history enthusiasts' perspective and the added focus allows for a greater attention to detail.

One major complaint I have of most major TW titles is not a function of bad game design, but the format they intentionally go for to allow a game to cover a broad historical era: 4 turns or less per year. It makes them very enjoyable to play from a sweeping "grand strategy" point of view, but all the small details that make a historical period unique and interesting are all too frequently glossed over. Hopefully, the focused timeline will redress that a little.

My other concern - as with all spin-offs - is that the gameplay is going to feel a bit too familiar. Many of us already felt like Attila was a bit close to Rome II despite an obvious drive to innovate a lot of good mechanics in that game. Charlemagne built on that very well I thought, but not enough to bring serious replayability.

My hope for the Sagas is that there are some major game-changing gameplay features that really bring that brief chapter of history to life. Combine that with a more intimate attention to minor events and characters of interest that the condensed timeline allows and we could be in for a real treat with these games.
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,284Registered Users
    I would love to see roman invasion of Britain campaign.
  • Lord_HenkusLord_Henkus Posts: 1,472Registered Users
    edited July 2017
    What about a game around Churchill :]
    How negative I may sound, game is stil 11 out of 10

Also, please slow down combat!

• FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    Bura89 said:

I'd bet it's about Emperor Constantine.

That would be an excellent choice.
  • Sughdian WarriorSughdian Warrior Senior Member Posts: 187Registered Users

If you remember this artwork, and then tie it to what Jack said - i.e. it is a flash point game for Rome 2, then the logical conclusion would be that it is Roman-Germanic Wars.
  • SbygneusSbygneus Posts: 799Registered Users

If you remember this artwork, and then tie it to what Jack said - i.e. it is a flash point game for Rome 2, then the logical conclusion would be that it is Roman-Germanic Wars.

Wasn't there Teutogen Forest campaign not so long ago?
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,846Registered Users
    edited July 2017

That was explicitly mentioned as being artwork for the DLC, not for the standalone. It is unrelated.

Now discussing the OP, I'll just be reposting something I wrote Elsewhere about this(On TWC):

It could just be a mere coincidence but the fact that the map snippet CA gave us matches up so well both in climate and geography with Ireland makes me hopeful for a Campaign set on the British Isles. Personally I'd say it is between either the Great Heathen Army in 866 or the Norman Invasion of Britain. Personally I'd prefer Great Heathen army since you would have many more smaller factions availible to play as but if they did do William's invasion it would have some strong, centralized factions to play as, I'd bet on Normandy, Norway, Anglo-Saxon England, Scotland, and then maybe Denmark, an Irish faction and maybe a Welsh faction too.

If they did a Great Heathen army start, this is what I'd want:

Norse Factions:

-The Sons of Ragnar as 3 seperate factions owning there respective territories(Can't quite remember who is where to be honest, most of my knowledge of this area comes from the Old Gods X-pac for CK2 and related research I did while interested at the time I'm afraid, and CK2 isn't known for being particularly accurate either)

-Harald Fair-Hair in Norway, providing a Norse faction that isn't tied up with English politics that can also focus on expanding their Scandinavian realm at the beggining.

Anglo-Saxons:

-Mercia

-WESSEX

-East Anglia

-Honestly I'm pretty sure Northumbria is just going to be the punching bag of the Norse early on so I doubt we will see them playable but who knows, if East Anglia is the Hard campaign Northumbria is the Very Hard campaign. Though if they wanted a Clean 8 factions the best thing to do IMO would be Son 1, Son 2, Son 3, Norway, as the Norse and Wessex, Mercia, East Anglia as the Anglo-Saxons with Scotland as both a clean 8th faction and providing an interesting completely outside perspective on the whole series of events(Fairhair's Norway only being kind of outside, still being Norse and thus having some interest in the British Isles).

Welsh:

I don't know, ambiguous as to whether or not they would be playable at all let alone who would represent them as a faction.

Scots:

Not much choice involved here. Just Scotland.

Ireland:

-Honestly betting on some Pre-Order shenanigans to be involved here. Could be interesting with a faction having access to both Norse and Irish units. Maybe they could even have 2 factions, one predominantly Norse(Norse-Gael) faction with a mixed Irish and Norse roster and another traditional Irish faction with Irish Elite units and more focussed units.
    I agree it could be something regarding the British Islands, either:

- Roman conquest
    - Norman conquest
    - or the indeed the great heathen time frame)

Besides that Another good option is Alexanders Succession states. As mentioned it is not going to be about a character so definitely not going to be a game about Alexander the Great but a game about the successors states is possible.

Also it is not going to be something Germanic since we the DLC campaign pack is almost surely going to involve the Cimbrian wars.

Sebor02 said:

2. Flashpoint standalone

All 3 of those are still happening :)
    Thanks Jack very excited about all 3. It is good to be a total war fan at the moment! RTS is pretty much the only kind of games I still play. Probably would stop gaming if it wasn't for CA!
  • ClappieClappie Junior Member Posts: 14Registered Users
    Krunch said:

Norse Factions:

-The Sons of Ragnar as 3 seperate factions owning there respective territories(Can't quite remember who is where to be honest, most of my knowledge of this area comes from the Old Gods X-pac for CK2 and related research I did while interested at the time I'm afraid, and CK2 isn't known for being particularly accurate either)

-Harald Fair-Hair in Norway, providing a Norse faction that isn't tied up with English politics that can also focus on expanding their Scandinavian realm at the beggining.

I think Sigurd Snake in the eye fits a lot more than Harald Fair-Hair, with Sigurd actually being related to the invaders of England, and a supposed son of Ragnar. And what with them being danes, Danelaw, Danegeld etc. Though while Sigurd might fit more, I do hope that if it is a Viking focused game, that we might not even see any of the homelands, and just keep the focus on the British Isles.
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,284Registered Users
    Any chance of getting a license from Bernard Cornwell based on his Warlord series to do a post-Roman campaign in Britain?

It'll be semi-historical of course.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,846Registered Users
    edited July 2017
    Clappie said:

Krunch said:

Norse Factions:

I think Sigurd Snake in the eye fits a lot more than Harald Fair-Hair, with Sigurd actually being related to the invaders of England, and a supposed son of Ragnar. And what with them being danes, Danelaw, Danegeld etc. Though while Sigurd might fit more, I do hope that if it is a Viking focused game, that we might not even see any of the homelands, and just keep the focus on the British Isles.
    Sigurd is one of the Sons of Ragnar in the trio of Brothers(Sigurd, Bjorn, and Ivar). He is already in what I wrote I just didn't name him specifically. Fair-Hair I felt was important enough to be included since he was the first King of Norway and is period-relevant, also as I said providing another Norse faction that isn't directly involved in the conflict at the start of the game.
  • ArrowmakerArrowmaker Junior Member AustraliaPosts: 220Registered Users
    edited July 2017
    All this guesswork must be hilarious for those in the know but here goes...

If the saga follows in the spirit of Rome 2 -> Attila -> Charlemagne then my guess is:

The Crusades

This would be excellent and appropriately focused.

I'll take my prize now thanks

Free copy of the game? :smiley:

Either that or some Viking romp I suppose.
    The concept art is from the DLC right? At least that is how I understood it
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKPosts: 1,346Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff

As said, that concept art is not for the Saga title, it is for the historical DLC that is currently being worked on.
    Game Director - Thrones of Britannia

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited July 2017
    @Jack_Lusted_CA: I love what you are doing at CA, and I am really looking forward to the new TW historical titles.

One question from the blogpost which I have a bit of trouble getting my head around, is that of feeling the need to release expansions as new standalone titles? I mean Attila is pretty much a standalone barbarian invasion expansion with lots of request included from the community, for example governors, government positions and family trees. How come Attila wasn`t just a expansion which also further expanded the gameplay of Rome II as a whole? I mean, some features I`m still missing from Rome II but both Attila and this "Saga" game is being labelled as expanding upon Rome II?

For me, I have just recently gone back to Rome II main campaign, and can appreciate it more with some distance to the release of september 2013. But some things are still missing for me, for example an overhaul of the campaign time towards 4 turns/year, governorships and government positions, more political intrigue and events? Perhaps add an election feature for democracies and republics were government bases itself on influence of your party (has been done in Rome: Total War already)? Then some of the political intrigue would actually matter if government and leadership of your faction were decided upon your political intrigue. Some of these things mentioned I use mods to get around. But I feel they should have been in the main game from the start. Another example is the features added in "People of Rome"-mod were you actually get population count and population classes which add some serious depth to the game.

I don`t mean to be critical, but can we expect CA to update Rome II as well?
  • ThanquolThanquol Senior Member SkavenblightPosts: 2,018Registered Users
    edited July 2017
    So from what im understanding they are creating an almost episodised series of TW games (Hitman style) centred on different historic events, sounds interesting. Unlike with Hitman I can see this working really well with the RTS genre especially if they vary the regions/time each is set in.
    "Fear me for I am Grey Seer Thanqol, Greatest TWW player in all of Skavendom."

Team Skaven

Which team are you? Post in your signature

Team Empire Team Bretonnia Team Kislev Team Dwarf Team Chaos Dwarf Team High Elves
    Team Dark Elves
    Team Wood Elves Team Warriors of Chaos Team Daemons of Chaos
    Team Beastmen
    Team Vampire Counts Team Tomb Kings Team Orcs and Goblins
    Team Ogre Kingdoms
    Team Lizardmen Team Skaven

• Sughdian WarriorSughdian Warrior Senior Member Posts: 187Registered Users
    Thanks for clarifying. You guys have way too much stuff going on. But, as wise men say, there can never be too much of Total War.
    I (unashamedly) clocked just under 1500 hours on Rome 2 and still play it regardless of the shortcomings. Mods and add-ons really breathe a new life to it . So, along with all the neon magic and spells, which I'm not really fan of, here's hoping for some historical title news too.

I (unashamedly) clocked just under 1500 hours on Rome 2 and still play it regardless of the shortcomings. Mods and add-ons really breathe a new life to it . So, along with all the neon magic and spells, which I'm not really fan of, here's hoping for some historical title news too.

I agree, mods add new life to the game