Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Stop Splitting Multi-Role units in Two

2»

Comments

• TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 9,793Registered Users
    KGpoopy said:

The Ellyrian Reavers being put back together sounds good.

"Back together"?
    the Ellyrian Reavers, from what I've read, have 3 variations in TT:
    Melee, Ranged and mixed.

And I can see why they didn't include the third one together with the others... it'd make the other 2 useless
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 2,009Registered Users
    ben8vtedu said:

I think it's clear you just want multi-purpose units to make army building easier and to allow for simpler tactics.

As for the GR issue, there's thread in the balance forum which, rarely for this board, has everyone agreeing it's too good. So there's your proof.
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/195353/grail-reliqua-giving-vampires-archers#latest

And for the record, I know these changes will assuredly never take place; it would take a huge amount of effort on CA's part to re-balance and wouldn't provide any return on investment. I point out this trend because I'd hate to see it happen to other hybrid units down the road.
    agree
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Posts: 3,029Registered Users

KGpoopy said:

"Back together"?
    Melee, Ranged and mixed.

And I can see why they didn't include the third one together with the others... it'd make the other 2 useless
    Well we have yet to see how they play so the jury is still out on whether the Ellyrian Reavers will suffer just as much from this trend as others I have mentioned, but I think having just the one variant that can perform both roles is much more valuable and interesting then two units that specialize. And as a fellow Dwarf enthusiast, I personally lament any change that makes the HE stronger but I'm more interested in seeing CA buck the trend of split hybrid units.
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

• TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 9,793Registered Users
    ben8vtedu said:

but I'm more interested in seeing CA buck the trend of split hybrid units.

amusingly they turned the Free Company militia from pure melee units into hybrids to make them more useful
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 2,009Registered Users
    edited June 2017
    Yeah it's inconsistent
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Posts: 3,029Registered Users

ben8vtedu said:

but I'm more interested in seeing CA buck the trend of split hybrid units.

amusingly they turned the Free Company militia from pure melee units into hybrids to make them more useful
    Well yea, would anyone use them if they weren't?
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

• DandalusXVIIDandalusXVII Posts: 4,123Registered Users
    KGpoopy said:

Why have a regiment of men with just a sword or spear and then right next to them have a regiment with sword and shield. It's makes no sense as far as battle plan and army make up.

Why is there any reason to take shieldless units other than a slightly smaller cost and to be filler? There is no strategic reason I can think of that makes up for the separation.

There is a strategic reason, it is the cost and also melee defense and range resistance. Units with shields have higher melee defense cause of the shield.

KGpoopy said:

"Back together"?
    Melee, Ranged and mixed.

No variant makes other variants useless. CA must add all 3 then.
  • SlayerAxesSlayerAxes Posts: 4Registered Users
    I would agree for the most part. I was a TT player for many a moon and understand that this is not a TT game, it is a video game. But there are many things that I would like to see implemented that TT had that is not in the current game.

Those arguing that making a unit duel purpose makes them to powerful I would disagree. CA has done this with a few units and is doing it in TW2 with the Seaguard. Dwarf Crossbowmen with GW's is also an example. I for one would prefer to have units that could fill 2 rolls in the game because people can filled such different variants of armies. How was I to know that my opponent decided to bring 5 black or units and I need a crap tone more armor piercing then I brought. Or Beastmen brought all Bestigor units. You could guess and plan that they might but then if they don't you're wrong again. This duel option would allow you to use a unit that you like and would make the game a lot more dynamic being able to have a unit fill multiple rolls instead of just one.

Example:
    In TT Black Orcs were "Armed to Da Teef" This allowed them to either take duel wield, hand weapon and shield, or great weapons. How cool would it be to be able to take Great Weapons when needed, then switch to shields to tank out if needed. This is something only Black Orcs could do and fits their "elite" status.

Another example would be Wardancers (I'm not sure there were ever spear elf wardancers in the TT version, I hated wood elves and didn't know their lore). Now they have an "ability" that gives them greater defense and less offense but lasts only a certain amount of seconds. In TT they had 3 different "dances" that would make them more effective depending on the situation you find yourself in. You could give them a dance that does high AP damage, One that is for Defense and One that deflects missle attacks or something.

Last example were Slayers. Slayers had "Slayer Axes" and could either take Two Axes or Great Axes. Sometimes you needed to crack that armor and sometimes you just need to cut a swath through the unit. You should be able to select what stance they are in.

I would say you just can't simply "switch" styles in combat. I would make each ability have a 10 second cooldown and can't be changed in combat but can be when out of combat for 10 seconds.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file