Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Warhammer Music

2»

Comments

• BaalzamonBaalzamon Junior Member Posts: 137Registered Users
    One of my favourite games of all times, Dishonored, is just that because of the amazing music in it. Music is such a powerful tool for creating the right atmospheres and immersion. For me the music is ok, but it doesn't stand out or contribute very much. Probably very subjective, though.
    There is no point in discussing with people that are not open to changing their opinion.
  • englisharcher89englisharcher89 Senior Member Bath, UKPosts: 3,970Registered Users
    I am already making my track list for Campaign and Battles, Norsca will be perfect blend of Skyrim and Wrath of the Lich King music, that's when I loved WoW back when WotLK was out, after that it was crap.

Since we get Frostwyrms it's very fitting to get this

Tracks like this fit Norsca more than Chaos

Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,787Registered Users
    You mix Warhammer and Warcraft stuff?

Time to light the stakes and get some heretics a-burnin'...

• englisharcher89englisharcher89 Senior Member Bath, UKPosts: 3,970Registered Users

You mix Warhammer and Warcraft stuff?

Time to light the stakes and get some heretics a-burnin'...

Yup music was one of the best aspects of WoW, I stopped playing it long ago.

Cartoony graphic was only okay because Warcraft III started it and I was huge fan back then.

Anyway back to the topic... oh yes! Beddow needs to be changed for another composer.
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
  • Blood_DragonBlood_Dragon Senior Member Posts: 882Registered Users
    TWW's music is completely devoid of character and identity. It is mediocre, generic, and just utterly bland. It blends into the ambient sounds and only very occasionally rises above them and even then it's snore-inducing.

This is what I listen to when playing as the Wood Elves:

Dwarfs:

Vampires:

Chaos:

"Victory or death, there is no other outcome. Honour is everything. I am a knight of the Ordo Draconis, and I will achieve perfection."
    edited August 2017
    Beddow isn't a bad composer, the top-notch TWA soundtrack is proof enough. It seems more that he's either reluctant or ordered to not go all out and be creative and so most tracks in TWWH sound rather generic although there are some that have nuggets of brilliance in them, like the first few bits of one of the Dwarfen deployment themes.
    Post edited by Ephraim_Dalton on

• antony23antony23 Junior Member Posts: 245Registered Users
    That third video tho, thats what I'm gona listen to as nosrca.
    I'm blind not deaf

TWW's music is completely devoid of character and identity. It is mediocre, generic, and just utterly bland. It blends into the ambient sounds and only very occasionally rises above them and even then it's snore-inducing.

You got it!

I also use some BFME 2 music for Bretonnia theme, few of their sort of Heroic and Chivalrous theme.

I wish they went for better composer, CA could spend more money on it this is my biggest concern music doesn't stand out at all, seriously I feel more thrill playing on mute and listening to sounds of battle is more immersive.

Sometimes I wish Ramin Djawadi was making music score for this game, he did for Medal of Honor, despite the game.. that it was medicore, music was standing out for long time and still I listen to it sometimes.

And Euron Greyjoy theme, eargasm it's pure majesty of music composing, disciple of Hans Zimmer

Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

You got it!

I also use some BFME 2 music for Bretonnia theme, few of their sort of Heroic and Chivalrous theme.

I wish they went for better composer, CA could spend more money on it this is my biggest concern music doesn't stand out at all, seriously I feel more thrill playing on mute and listening to sounds of battle is more immersive.

Sometimes I wish Ramin Djawadi was making music score for this game, he did for Medal of Honor, despite the game.. that it was medicore, music was standing out for long time and still I listen to it sometimes.

And Euron Greyjoy theme, eargasm it's pure majesty of music composing, disciple of Hans Zimmer

Yeah! Euron is such an awesome, evil character lol. His music really does fit the Norscans.

"Victory or death, there is no other outcome. Honour is everything. I am a knight of the Ordo Draconis, and I will achieve perfection."
  • carnotauruscarnotaurus Posts: 291Registered Users
    Baalzamon said:

One of my favourite games of all times, Dishonored, is just that because of the amazing music in it. Music is such a powerful tool for creating the right atmospheres and immersion. For me the music is ok, but it doesn't stand out or contribute very much. Probably very subjective, though.

Very subjective and you know i have a very similar feeling with pokemon black and White and black and White 2 i could probably recognize theentire soundtrack.
  • peacheslambpeacheslamb Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited August 2017

Beddow lacks talent or will to make good music.

Ehh, he can make good music. Just look at Napoleon/Attila's soundtrack. His other ones range from mediocre (Rome 2) to lacking (Empire). Interestingly, Total War Battles: Kingdoms has a good soundtrack as well (also Beddow).

Even the original RTW had tracks specific for desert or mountain battles. It gave some variation.

Huh, you must not have played the original Rome in a long time. All of the factions literally shared the same battle tracks regardless of location or cultures involved.

It would be bearable if the different races had their own themes. However, as I said, the only one I can recognize is the undead one. Might be the only racial theme in the game?

Maybe you haven't paid enough attention? There are 4 categories for battle music - Good (Empire, Bretonnia, dwarfs, wood elves), Undead, Greenskins, and Chaos. Both of the factions involved will have their music play in battle (ie Empire vs Vampire Counts will have the "good" music set and "undead" music set play). Yes, there's a lot of reusing for the good factions, which I'm not a fan of either, but there's clearly different themes for most of the races.

The campaign map differentiates based on location, so there are 5 music sets there - Empire/Dwarf/Bretonnia provinces, Vampire-corrupted provinces, Chaos-corrupted provinces, Athel Loren, and Badlands.

And while I love TSFH, their music is a bit much for the game. I tried modding TSFH into Rome 2 and the tone was way off. A lot of their music will fail to differentiate between races too (I have no idea what TSFH song could fit the Greenskins or Vampire Counts).
    edited August 2017
    You know my unpopular but honest opinion warhammer ost> shogun 2 rome 1 ost
    i never like ethier. my rank 1 medieval 2 2 attila 3 warhammer 4 rome 1 5 shogun 2 6 rome 2.

i never like ethier.

Ohh lol, you are not serious? That was when OST was shining in this franchise.
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

edited August 2017

i never like ethier.

Maybe some people just don't like Japanese music? I myself actually prefer the Shogun1 OST. Although S2 recycles several tracks, they missed the best ones, like this one:

That's magic. Nothing in S2 actually gives me the same vibes.

• StoreslemStoreslem Posts: 304Registered Users
    edited August 2017
    this was my favorite track from older TW
  • TheChocolateJesusTheChocolateJesus Senior Member Posts: 1,423Registered Users
    edited August 2017
    People who call Beddow a "bad composer" have no idea how to actually compose I suppose. Check the battle tracks for the Huns in Attila or simply the entirety of Attila's and especially Napoleon's soundtrack; if you call him a bad composer again...remember: Personal taste does not equal facts. By the way "Two Steps from Hell" is probably the worst example one can give for music which isn't supposed to be bland.
    Post edited by TheChocolateJesus on
    It's gotta be a Chocolate Jesus to keep me satisfied.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Posts: 4,021Registered Users

i never like ethier.

Maybe some people just don't like Japanese music? I myself actually prefer the Shogun1 OST. Although S2 recycles several tracks, they missed the best ones, like this one:

That's magic. Nothing in S2 actually gives me the same vibes.
    Wow i thought i was the only one who felt this way. Agree completely they left out some of the best tracks from the first one. Im a big fan of Japanese music tho.
  • PIXY_UNICORNPIXY_UNICORN Posts: 59Registered Users
    Storeslem said:

this was my favorite track from older TW

The Medieval 2 soundtrack was utter gold.
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Posts: 4,023Registered Users

People who call Beddow a "bad composer" have no idea how to actually compose I suppose. Check the battle tracks for the Huns in Attila or simply the entirety of Attila's and especially Napoleon's soundtrack; if you call him a bad composer again...remember: Personal taste does not equal facts. By the way "Two Steps from Hell" is probably the worst example one can give for music which isn't supposed to be bland.

I didn't realize it was him who did the Attila soundtrack and now all the posts bashing him seem really weird, because Attila is literally the only game where I feel like I'm missing something without the music because it's so good

My wife loves* how I sing the theme song the entire time I'm playing. HAAYYYAAAUMBAAAEEEHHHYYAAAAAUMBAYEHOMMMMMMWAAAAHHHHHUUUMMMMMBAAA
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 10,354Registered Users
    edited August 2017

for me this list feels like "Generic Epic Fantasy music"...

The soundtrakc for the empire? Use it for all others... fits good enough... Chaos? Hey..: GS, Norsca, Dawi Zharr etc are also fitting enough for this music!

you complain about bland music but poste another list of itnerchangable, replacable music? I don't see this any less generic than the TW WH Soundtrack... actually even more!

how does this SkyWorld feel like Dwarfs?

This sounds like Dwarfs

when i listen to Spirit of Light it feels more like something for a tribute or so, instead of a proper "theme" or soundtrack for a faction, a song that you instantly connect with this faction!
    Compare it with the Gondor or Rohan soundtracks from LotR...

when you hear them you instantly think about Rohan or Gondor

or the Imperial March of Star Wars... when you hear it you instantly think: Vader! Executor! TIES! AT-ATs! Stormtroopers! Palps!

In my opinion the connections your songs make are "another fantasy music that is meant to sound epic"

I actually think, that the Empire theme is fitting rather well:

It starts dark, representing the threats that besiege the Empire, but ends with the music having a classic "Heroic" tune to it, showing that despite all the dangers that threaten
    the Empire, be it Greenskins, Norscans, Undead or Chaos, the Empire will prevail!
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!
    Maybe Beddow should do score for historical games then, yeah Attila main menu wasn't bad but apart from Beddow there is another composer involved.
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

• Lord of CinderLord of Cinder Posts: 320Registered Users
    Indeed, I was wrong that RTW had area specific music. My bad. I confused it with Medieval 2 where some cultures have very distinct music of their own. Like Arab, Spanish, British and so on. They were part of the campaigns that came with the expansion, but were still there. Felt very different and unique.

I see some people actually don't think Beddow is that bad. I did not play Napoleon, because the time period was not interesting to me, so cannot comment. The argument for Attila was that the main menu theme was good. I disagree. I hear some strange mumbling which I sincerely doubt was hunnic or God know what existing language. However, a bit of strange, incomprehensible sounds do not sell Beddow to me as a good composer. You don't even need proper musical education to make someone do that in front of the microfone. What I care about is atmosphere and in battles it is just not there for me.

Now about this:

for me this list feels like "Generic Epic Fantasy music"...

The soundtrakc for the empire? Use it for all others... fits good enough... Chaos? Hey..: GS, Norsca, Dawi Zharr etc are also fitting enough for this music!

you complain about bland music but poste another list of itnerchangable, replacable music? I don't see this any less generic than the TW WH Soundtrack... actually even more!

I like it and this is what works for me. All I can say is

This sounds like Dwarfs

No, this sounds like LotR. If I wanted to play LotR or WoW, I would. As "generic" as my choices may sound to you, at least I don't try to play a completely different franchise. Not that the music is bad. It is just not Warhammer.

when i listen to Spirit of Light it feels more like something for a tribute or so, instead of a proper "theme" or soundtrack for a faction, a song that you instantly connect with this faction!
    Compare it with the Gondor or Rohan soundtracks from LotR...

when you hear them you instantly think about Rohan or Gondor

Again, are you playing the Empire or Gondor?

or the Imperial March of Star Wars... when you hear it you instantly think: Vader! Executor! TIES! AT-ATs! Stormtroopers! Palps!

Yeah. You do. That was my point. When you hear it, you know where it came from. You know what it represents. As I said multiple times, if we don't count the undead battle theme I cannot distinguish even a single one of those tracks for different factions. They are forgettable and bland. Which is the real problem.

In my opinion the connections your songs make are "another fantasy music that is meant to sound epic"

Yup. You got it. I think the themes I linked sound epic and distinguishable. At least to me that is, unlike what we currently have. What you try to do instead, is...play LotR with the Warhammer engine?

I don't judge, though. I don't really care. And that is what i was trying to say. Everyone has an opinion and the best way to make everyone happy is to just let us mod the music. If you like Beddow, by all means, listen to him.

• karnage10karnage10 Posts: 44Registered Users
    I don't know how you guys can call warhammer music "bad", How many strategy games you have played that has special music for both zones and factions?
    For warhammer to be bad i assume i'm going to get a list with dozen if not hundred games that have those mechanics and better music.

My opinion on the subject:
    - warhammer music is fine but has too few tracks
    - lack of payed music DLC, I'd pay 10-40 € for new tracks
    - My favorite soundtrack would be EU IV / CK2 metal musics; they are such a nice change from the "normal" game. I'd "enjoy" a few metal musics in warhammer
    - it is sad that there is 0 vocal music in warhammer
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 10,354Registered Users
    edited August 2017

This sounds like Dwarfs

No, this sounds like LotR. If I wanted to play LotR or WoW, I would. As "generic" as my choices may sound to you, at least I don't try to play a completely different franchise. Not that the music is bad. It is just not Warhammer.

it sounds like dwarfs unlike what you posted for dwarfs... how does SkyWorld sound like Dwarfs?

You say it sounds like LotR... but LotR dwarfs are the archtypical modern fantasy dwarfs, especially the song of Durin is closer to a proper Dwarfen theme music than anyhting in your random movie trailer music...

Again, are you playing the Empire or Gondor?

I guess you don't want to understand what I mean? These Songs are iconic for their respective factions, faction themes should strive to be like this. What you posted as "faction music" is generic and could easily be changed for each other...

Maybe you didn't realize it but I never said that these Songs should be used... I used the LotR stuff to show you in what direction Dwarfen Themes should go, if the dwarfs are like they are in LotR or Warhammer... yours is stuff that you find by googling "Epic Trailer music"

meanwhile I used the Themes of Gondor and ROhan to show how important it is to get actual connecting parts of a theme with the faction instead of just 3 minutes of random, "epic-music"...

Yup. You got it. I think the themes i linked sound epic and distinguishable. At least to me that is, unlike what we currently have. What you try to do instead, is...play LotR with the Warhammer engine?

You don't get what I've ment... Imho your stuff is bland and generic... "it's ment to sound epic" but imho it's not nearly as epic as themes that actually had been written with, for example, a certain race in mind... there is no real connection to the factions... unlike what we have, for example, in the LotR soundtrakc with Gondor, Rohan and Isengart, the Imperial March and the SW theme.

you say that the ingame sounds are "They are forgettable and bland." One of the problems with this is, that iirc hte music changes to the flow of the battle, so you won't necessairly hear the full song of hte theme... and while you think your songs are "Distinguishable"... i see htem as interchangable... removable... uninteresting... imho they are what you get when you call your music department and say "We need some epic music for a trailer in 10 minutes!"

Your "Black Blade" sounds like something I'd expect in a video like "Warhammer - Forces of Destruction Tribute"
    followed by pictures of WoC, Beastmen, Dawi Zharr, Daemons, GS, Vampires and Dark Elfs... nothing to stand on it's own

Another thing to be noted, i had the Song of Durin playing in the background of a Dwarfen Campaign... and imho it was a dozen times more fititng match than your random "epic music"

The music had been composed starting with "It must sound epic", without any connection to the factions. You're giving the value first to "It has to sound Epic"... but that's the same thinking as going "Entrance of the Gladiatios is used for Circuses and Clowns especially, the Joker is a clown so just use Entrance of the Gladiators... but while in some situations fitting, overall (atleast the normal version of) the march is rather unfitting for the Clown Prince of Crime
    Post edited by TheGuardianOfMetal on
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!

Maybe Beddow should do score for historical games then, yeah Attila main menu wasn't bad but apart from Beddow there is another composer involved.

The hunnic Music is probably my favorite music in the entire tw franchise i mean i get way more pumped up by this

then this.

• Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Posts: 4,021Registered Users
    If this thread proves anything its that we the fans are not capavle, vision wise, of building an appropriate soundtrack to this game, at least not one that any 3+ of us can agree on.

We are desperately reliant on CA for an immersive experience, but unfortunately the score and voice acting seem to be where they spend the least amount of time.
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIPosts: 7,162Registered Users

If this thread proves anything its that we the fans are not capavle, vision wise, of building an appropriate soundtrack to this game, at least not one that any 3+ of us can agree on.

But with modding tools, you can suit the music to your wants and needs! The perfect solution! Who cares if I hate your music, and you hate mine, we each have what we want!
    Thrones of Britannia: 69/100
    Warhammer II: 73/100
    Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100 [Age of Charlemagne: 72/100]
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100 [Fall of the Samurai: 95/100]
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100 [Kingdoms: 90/100]
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100
  • BereaverBereaver Posts: 473Registered Users
    edited August 2017
    What i'm finding weird is the fact that i'm totally in love with trailer music. Grimgor trailer, Vampire Counts trailer, Dwarfs intro, Bretonnia trailer, Wood Elves trailer, Dark Elves trailer have awesome-awesome-awesome soundtracks with great vocals and epicness worthy of Total War: Warhammer. It had me cry for it not being available for digital purchase. Why there is no music of such style in the game?
    I suppose that's more of design decision than unsufficient talent of music team.
    Question is: why did they decide to do that? They thought that too action-packed music will distract from the game itself?
    But decade old Warcraft 3 had awesome tracks ingame and it did not draw anything from the game, only added to it.
    I don't think that they went in the right direction with the TW:WH soundtrack, but whatever, i actually find current music enjoyable enough, just being little sad about not having some more memorable soundtracks instead of ambient music spread all over the place.
    They made way more effort with their trailer music than with the actual in-game music. I think it shows where their priorities lie tbh.

They made way more effort with their trailer music than with the actual in-game music. I think it shows where their priorities lie tbh.

Trailer music is very good indeed and if they would put the same effort into the game I wouldn't complain.

I actually got Bretonnia trailer music and VC on my mp3 player, for me good music and soundtrack is the one you can listen outside of the game and recognise it after years.

That won't be the case with TW WH music ever! I don't even remember Rome II music because it was generic as well. Beddow already showed how bad it is, Attila yes it improved a bit.

But back to TW WH it gone down again, Beddow uses some odd amalgamation of instruments flutes in every track, no drums, weak choirs.
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire