Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Player gender

Comments

• BeardedragonBeardedragon Member Posts: 1,416Registered Users
    Ushan said:

Grakor456 said:

Zergles said:

TRex said:

Zergles said:

Threads like this make me sad. I have never felt a need to obsess over the sexes of my characters or how my characters address me.

Are you a hermaphrodite perhaps? Does that mean nobody else is allowed to consider it important whether they are male or female?
    Saying there aren't enough female LL's is an actual real complaint that will be fixed ovee time.
    Indeed. We know we're getting Morathi, and there are a lot of potential female LLs we could be getting in the future. Alarielle the Everqueen, Hellebron, Khalida, Valkia the Bloody, the Masque of Slaanesh...
    I still haven't given up hope for Ariel for the Wood Elves.
    i havent given up on the little mermaid either
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,851Registered Users
    The advisor specifically addresses the lord you picked at the start of a campaign, not the player. This whole thread has been rendered moot.

• HexiHexi Posts: 1,096Registered Users

The advisor specifically addresses the lord you picked at the start of a campaign, not the player. This whole thread has been rendered moot.

You could easily edit the sound files, add a few lines and slap an option in the options menu on who the advisor addresses. The Leading LL (Default) Male (My lord) Female (My Lady).

I personally don't care, as I have that thing turned off, but I don't think it would be a huge effort.
    There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 17,252Registered Users
    edited August 2017
    Zergles said:

Myself I don't know why anyone would be against making this tiny accommodation to female players.

I'm actually relatively impressed by the lack of insulting comments here, there are some, and false flags, but generally, good job y'all.

It would be a lot of work for a very small group of people. But we have tons upon tons of female LL options. More coming out with game two because Elves.

There will be less discernably female lords in general just because of how the different factions work. Skaven are all male minus the females who are just living birthing chambers. Greenskins are sex/genderless. Dwarfs are mostly male. Beastmen are...men. Beastwomen tend to be too friendly.

But you then have Fae Enchantress, Morathi, several female Wood Elf LL's, Chaos/Norsca female LL'S and then the entire female bloodline that VC have.

There's going to be plenty of chicks. And there is an entire genderless race in game already.
    This is just a button asking if you'd like to be referred to as a lord or a lady, it means some lines being doubled up to some degree, but is it a game shaking change? Of course not.

And very small group of people? Last I checked there are more females than males alive. Granted the majority of TWW players are of course male, but that's just more reason to make a tiny accommodation for females.

As for the lore I disagree but I'll let that one slide as irrelevant simply because if the voices in question are referring to the player then that player is the lord/lady in question. If the voices aren't referring to the player then it becomes a debatable point.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • YodelLightlyYodelLightly Junior Member Posts: 54Registered Users

Zergles said:

Myself I don't know why anyone would be against making this tiny accommodation to female players.

I'm actually relatively impressed by the lack of insulting comments here, there are some, and false flags, but generally, good job y'all.

It would be a lot of work for a very small group of people. But we have tons upon tons of female LL options. More coming out with game two because Elves.

There will be less discernably female lords in general just because of how the different factions work. Skaven are all male minus the females who are just living birthing chambers. Greenskins are sex/genderless. Dwarfs are mostly male. Beastmen are...men. Beastwomen tend to be too friendly.

But you then have Fae Enchantress, Morathi, several female Wood Elf LL's, Chaos/Norsca female LL'S and then the entire female bloodline that VC have.

There's going to be plenty of chicks. And there is an entire genderless race in game already.
    This is just a button asking if you'd like to be referred to as a lord or a lady, it means some lines being doubled up to some degree, but is it a game shaking change? Of course not.

And very small group of people? Last I checked there are more females than males alive. Granted the majority of TWW players are of course male, but that's just more reason to make a tiny accommodation for females.

As for the lore I disagree but I'll let that one slide as irrelevant simply because if the voices in question are referring to the player then that player is the lord/lady in question. If the voices aren't referring to the player then it becomes a debatable point.
    Exactly why would this be good reason to make special accommodations for a minority of players that supposedly want this at the expense of the majority of players? Even if it is tiny.
    It's not at the expense of the majority of players though. There's no reason to think this would cost any other player anything. All it is is a tiny feature being added, it's not even really debate worthy.

And what exactly do you mean by "supposedly", we know a group of players want this, I'm one of them.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
    edited August 2017

Zergles said:

Exactly why would this be good reason to make special accommodations for a minority of players that supposedly want this at the expense of the majority of players? Even if it is tiny.
    On whose expense, exactly, is it to record a handful of voice lines and edit the already existing ones? An intern could do it over the weekend if you give him the voice lines and an editing software.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,851Registered Users
    Hexi said:

Zergles said:

On whose expense, exactly, is it to record a handful of voice lines and edit the already existing ones? An intern could do it over the weekend if you give him the voice lines and an editing software.
    VAs calculate their fee per line said and smashing soundbites together would sound awkward.

A complete waste of money, time and resources for something 99% of the players don't care about.

• DukeNukedemDukeNukedem Posts: 17Registered Users
    Okay, time to address the whale in the room: Women & Gaming.

The topic at large is precisely that, large, so I will cut to the crux of the matter and raise a few points.

* Women playing games - awesome.
    * Women being taken into consideration when a game is being designed - awesome.
    * Games being changed from their origins just to accommodate women - not awesome.

Now to address those three key points in greater detail before anyone goes nuts and starts acting like they're genetically part potato...

Women playing games: This is cool, I am always happy to run into a female player in an online game as it's nice to see more and more women playing all sorts of games and not being excluded by online communities because is for bros' only.

Women being taken into consideration when a game is being designed: It's nice that some game developers add the option for the main protagonist to be male or female or have a healthy blend among the N.P.C's and the like, it's also cool to see interesting female characters in games who aren't automatically a bimbo or a seamstress.

Games being changed from their origins just to accommodate women: This one is a massive nope and in the event that some sow whines about or she's dressed too skimpy (I am looking at you specific silent lady from a particular game in a popular series) and a non optional patch alters the character the game immediately loses a player.

SUMMARY: I am fine with Total War: Warhammer having female legendary lords and female voice acting etc.because there are plenty of bad ass women in Warhammer but if I see it go too far and a gender confused Karl Franz with tits turns up in my campaign leading a revolt against one of my settlements there will be no more Total War: Warhammer in this household.
    edited August 2017
    It's weird how the "money" argument is used, it seems to be often used as a reason against a point when people want to argue against it but don't have a better reason. We don't know CA's finances, we don't know what this would cost, and we certainly don't have the cost benefit analysis, so speculating on money is just that - pure speculation.

So with that, lets discount and ignore the purely speculative money argument, are you still against it?

Okay, time to address the whale in the room: Women & Gaming.

The topic at large is precisely that, large, so I will cut to the crux of the matter and raise a few points.

* Women playing games - awesome.
    * Women being taken into consideration when a game is being designed - awesome.
    * Games being changed from their origins just to accommodate women - not awesome.

Now to address those three key points in greater detail before anyone goes nuts and starts acting like they're genetically part potato...

Women playing games: This is cool, I am always happy to run into a female player in an online game as it's nice to see more and more women playing all sorts of games and not being excluded by online communities because is for bros' only.

Women being taken into consideration when a game is being designed: It's nice that some game developers add the option for the main protagonist to be male or female or have a healthy blend among the N.P.C's and the like, it's also cool to see interesting female characters in games who aren't automatically a bimbo or a seamstress.

Games being changed from their origins just to accommodate women: This one is a massive nope and in the event that some sow whines about or she's dressed too skimpy (I am looking at you specific silent lady from a particular game in a popular series) and a non optional patch alters the character the game immediately loses a player.

SUMMARY: I am fine with Total War: Warhammer having female legendary lords and female voice acting etc.because there are plenty of bad ass women in Warhammer but if I see it go too far and a gender confused Karl Franz with tits turns up in my campaign leading a revolt against one of my settlements there will be no more Total War: Warhammer in this household.

I... I don't think anyone in this thread is asking for anything to be changed, just added an option for something? Your rant is kinda moot.

Hexi said:

Zergles said:

VAs calculate their fee per line said and smashing soundbites together would sound awkward.

A complete waste of money, time and resources for something 99% of the players don't care about.
    Odd, I haven't seen anyone complain about the soundbites that are already smashed together.
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Posts: 5,633Registered Users
    Hexi said:

Hexi said:

Zergles said:

Odd, I haven't seen anyone complain about the soundbites that are already smashed together.
    There's an entire youtube series called Gamerpoop that's smashing voiced lines together you can notice when they don't fit the sentence.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

Hexi said:

Hexi said:

Zergles said:

There's an entire youtube series called Gamerpoop that's smashing voiced lines together you can notice when they don't fit the sentence.
    Yeah because they aren't disjointed on purpose for comical effect or anything.

/rolleyes
    Hexi said:

Hexi said:

Hexi said:

Zergles said:

/rolleyes
    the comical effect is not to do with the sound bite but more what he gets the characters to say for example "Lets get to bashing butts. As well as Deez nuts" and Shepard's "We'll Bang. Ok" (Which the Male VA likes)
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

edited August 2017

Hexi said:

Hexi said:

Hexi said:

Zergles said:

/rolleyes
    the comical effect is not to do with the sound bite but more what he gets the characters to say for example "Lets get to bashing butts. As well as Deez nuts" and Shepard's "We'll Bang. Ok" (Which the Male VA likes)
    That's because they are cut mid-sentence. Of course it's going to sound obvious. There are many RPGs with spoken dialogue where the only thing that changes is "My Lady" or "My Lord" in the dialogue and you wouldn't think it was only 1 recorded line with the My Lord bit changed until you play the at the same time. Dragon Age games come to mind first.
  • DukeNukedemDukeNukedem Posts: 17Registered Users

I... I don't think anyone in this thread is asking for anything to be changed, just added an option for something? Your rant is kinda moot.

The post was 99% for comical effect but also to give the requested feedback; I don't care either way if the proposed addition is made to the game and in truth the only thing that annoys me with regards to women and gaming in general is when elements of a game are drastically altered just to pander to the complaints of a few unhappy women.

The post was 99% for comical effect but also to give the requested feedback; I don't care either way if the proposed addition is made to the game and in truth the only thing that annoys me with regards to women and gaming in general is when elements of a game are drastically altered just to pander to the complaints of a few unhappy women.

Yeah but I don't see what this particular thread has to do with that.

Unless of course you were hoping to start another pointless argument.
  • YodelLightlyYodelLightly Junior Member Posts: 54Registered Users

It's not at the expense of the majority of players though. There's no reason to think this would cost any other player anything. All it is is a tiny feature being added, it's not even really debate worthy.

And what exactly do you mean by "supposedly", we know a group of players want this, I'm one of them.

Everything CA decides to do takes away from something they could have done. Its a feature for women only and they are what, about 7% of grand strategy players? Do they even care about this? I can't cant see what sex people are so i don't know if they do.

And since you haven't figured out that the voice refers to the legendary lord as the player one has to assume the proposal is on political grounds and has nothing what so ever to do with something in the game itself.

For example the opening line to Carcassone: "Blessings on you and your lands, wise and fay enchantress."
  • TheOrganKingTheOrganKing Junior Member Posts: 989Registered Users

It's weird how the "money" argument is used, it seems to be often used as a reason against a point when people want to argue against it but don't have a better reason. We don't know CA's finances, we don't know what this would cost, and we certainly don't have the cost benefit analysis, so speculating on money is just that - pure speculation.

So with that, lets discount and ignore the purely speculative money argument, are you still against it?

yep, still against it. It is a pointless addition that changes a handful of gender neutral lines, into gender specific lines, purely to cater to a very small percentage of the playerbase for whom that gender applies. It is a waste of time and money, even if a small amount, that could better be spent towards completing the many unfinished rosters, or towards adding more unique gameplay mechanics, or on Balancing, or Anything related to the actual game that would actually benefit the vast majority of players.
    "Chaos strong. Gors strong. Humans, Elves, Dwarf — weak. We win. We fight, we kill, one day we win. One day soon. You — if you lucky, we eat you, make you into part of us, make you better than you, stronger than any of you, stronger than all of you. Once this arm weak, like you. I eat many of your kind, now I strong."
    —Karzog, Beastigor Charioteer.

Everything CA decides to do takes away from something they could have done. Its a feature for women only and they are what, about 7% of grand strategy players? Do they even care about this? I can't cant see what sex people are so i don't know if they do.

And since you haven't figured out that the voice refers to the legendary lord as the player one has to assume the proposal is on political grounds and has nothing what so ever to do with something in the game itself.

For example the opening line to Carcassone: "Blessings on you and your lands, wise and fay enchantress."
    That's simple speculation.

So, every single line of dialogue ingame refers to the LL and never to the player themselves? That's pretty cool info, source?
    edited August 2017

That's simple speculation.

So, every single line of dialogue ingame refers to the LL and never to the player themselves? That's pretty cool info, source?
    I... what? Have you even PLAYED the game?

LLs refer to a higher power, as in you, since you control them. Orcs say "Are you Gork?" and Archeon says "Are you a god?" when you click on them. The Advisor and units refer to the faction leader or just spout their usual lines. Orion talks to himself a lot.
    Of course I have PLAYED (I don't know why we're spelling PLAYED in caps, but lets go with it) the game.

I never got the impression that they were referring to the LL, I got the impression they were referring to me directly, because y'know I'm the one issuing orders, not whichever lord I chose. If there is a veil there tis a thin one my friend.
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Posts: 1,727Registered Users
    GW's decision to wave away their lack of female models for BM, Dwarfs, Skaven and similar is awful and shouldn't have been done as closing the possibility was silly at best and outright sexist and offensive at worst
    Chaos lords should be women

Why is no one talking about mouth feel!?
  • HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Posts: 2,543Registered Users
    edited August 2017

Of course I have PLAYED (I don't know why we're spelling PLAYED in caps, but lets go with it) the game.

I never got the impression that they were referring to the LL, I got the impression they were referring to me directly, because y'know I'm the one issuing orders, not whichever lord I chose. If there is a veil there tis a thin one my friend.

In the beginning the advisor gives you resume of the lord you are playing don't know how you can get any other impression but that he is talking to the lord.Why is this still a problem cause it wont happen cause is not economically worth it

GW's decision to wave away their lack of female models for BM, Dwarfs, Skaven and similar is awful and shouldn't have been done as closing the possibility was silly at best and outright sexist and offensive at worst

And has nothing to do with this thread stop trying to derail it to force your agenda. The thread is about who the units verbally respond to not about GW fantasy world.

• TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,665Registered Users

Plus Warhammer Fantasy itself is a 'rated m for manly' setting, and not so long ago Total War: Warhammer didn't have even a single female legendary lord, yet some people never satisfied.

The units themselves never address anyone, they just say generic rubbish like "for ze ladyyy!" Same with most heroes and lords. Some lords, like Archeon sometimes says things like "Are you a god?" but he doesn't specifically address anyone in any sort of identifying fashion. The Advisor is talking as if talking to the faction leader, not you.

If this isn't obvious then you haven't payed that much attention to it.
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Posts: 1,727Registered Users

And has nothing to do with this thread stop trying to derail it to force your agenda. The thread is about who the units verbally respond to not about GW fantasy world.
    ah sorry, saw some posts on it and thought we were discussing that by now. my mistake.

yeah no as others have said the adviser addressing the LL and usually use gender-neutral terms (though the extent of how gender-neutral they are and what kind of impact that can have is up for debate)
    Chaos lords should be women

Why is no one talking about mouth feel!?
    edited August 2017
    I appear to have expertly painted myself into a corner, I'm wrong in regards to who they're referring to.

I still do think that gamers need to get away from the politically correct attitude and be open to tiny changes like this to better accommodate audiences that aren't male.
This discussion has been closed.