Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

CA's marketing has not been very good.

chrissher7chrissher7 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 2,038
edited August 2017 in Total War General Chat
I personally think CA have really dropped the ball with their marketing for Warhammer II. This has mainly been down to the fact that they showed almost nothing until last week came along. It's all very well saving some information for the last month or so but they saved too much for last. They got carried away with milking that awful 'Skaven don't exist and you're a heretic' joke. It isn't funny and we don't live in the Warhammer world. This meant that they couldn't really show any campaign gameplay. They should have been announced with the rest of the races or at E3 at the lastest and the release date earlier too. They also dragged out Norsca for too long by announcing it too early. I know it is the early adopter bonus but it is content for the first game and will only be playable with the new races in the combined campaign. They are only showing gameplay for the Dark Elves tommorow because of that mistake. They still have lots of things. to do after that as well. The Lizardmen and High Elves still need their campaign gameplay. If it wasn't for their constant Skaven teasing they did that would probably have been shown by now as well. This post is simply to say that they need to improve their marketing. Keep this discussion civil please.

Comments

• FifthOfSpaghettiFifthOfSpaghetti Registered Users Posts: 1,630
    So what's this thread about? To harp on CA? You're gonna buy the game anyways otherwise you wouldn't be here lol.
  • TheHolyPilgrimTheHolyPilgrim Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 453
    We've been getting content for the past few weeks rather consistently and getting so close to release, we can only expect more.

Who cares if the info comes out tomorrow or a month ago? As long as we get what we need before release date, I think that they're doing just fine.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,026
    well to know that we would need numbers of sell...

besides that, from the looks of it, that CA simply went wit ha more concentrated effort in terms of marketing.

Right now we not just getting Skaven, but also a lot of Dark Elv information, so CA doesn't do 1 race per month but 2 races for the last months 2.

perhaps CA numbers have shown that the long marketing of game 1 was ineffective?

Mind you:
    Ca did spend a lot of time before the skaven reveal with promoting Norsca which is the early adopter bonus for Warhammer 2.

marketing for that IS marketing for game 2 as well.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • kyeaxfordkyeaxford Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 162
    Wonder how long before this thread gets moved or closed. Never understood the point of them because they never last all that long.
  • chrissher7chrissher7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,038

So what's this thread about? To harp on CA? You're gonna buy the game anyways otherwise you wouldn't be here lol.

To tell CA that their marketing to people beyond the fanbase has been bad. They may not have had enough information to get excited about it.

• MasqueradeMasquerade Registered Users Posts: 292
    Well their marketing convinced me to pre order so it didn't fail me.
    If steam db is to be trusted at least 100k people pre ordered. normally people pre order in mass 1 day before release so I think it's looking good.
  • LolcoreLolcore Registered Users Posts: 34
    I bet you would handle the company's budget destined for marketing much better and also its workers and all that, right?

because they probably have no idea, not like you.

for f*ck sake, do this people really think that they do marketing in that way just because they think its the better?, As if there were no other reasons to do it as they do ?.
  • Horus168Horus168 Registered Users Posts: 578

I personally think CA have really dropped the ball with their marketing for Warhammer II. This has mainly been down to the fact that they showed almost nothing until last week came along. It's all very well saving some information for the last month or so but they saved too much for last. They got carried away with milking that awful 'Skaven don't exist and you're a heretic' joke. It isn't funny and we don't live in the Warhammer world. This meant that they couldn't really show any campaign gameplay. They should have been announced with the rest of the races or at E3 at the lastest and the release date earlier too. They also dragged out Norsca for too long by announcing it too early. They are only showing gameplay for the Dark Elves tommorow because of that mistake. They still have lots of things. to do after that as well. The Lizardmen and High Elves still need their campaign gameplay. If it wasn't for their constant Skaven teasing would probably have been shown by now as well. Keep this discussion civil please

On the plus side, the games likely to be much better than the marketing has made it look.
    It's always disappointing when it's the other way round....
  • NemoxNemox Registered Users Posts: 2,872
    edited August 2017
    I didn't personally agree with the withholding of Skaven for so long. Pre-ordering is already a messy business without adding even more obscurity on what we were purchasing. A lot of people were annoyed at the slow reveal of Norsca.

We still have Game 3 to go, and I for one would like not to have a Skaven-like repeated again with a race there (though that is far less likely because of the whole Skaven-lore connection) Preferably pre-order bonus revealed earlier at the very least.

You can like and enjoy the game, want to buy it, but still criticize decisions made by the company. Who here can say 100% that they have agreed completely with them?

CA have improved greatly from Game 1 Launch to almost launching Game 2. Their handling of WoC/Beastmen compared to WE/Bretonnia content for example. I want them to continue with that improvement, and communication is a crucial one. The community sure does like to speculate wildly, but sometimes CA could end that with a single post. The Old Friend was in parts community but CA sat back and let that go wild for way too long.

CA want feedback, and I'd say this post is a fair example of that.
    edited August 2017
    Lolcore said:

I bet you would handle the company's budget destined for marketing much better and also its workers and all that, right?

for f*ck sake, do this people really think that they do marketing in that way just because they think its the better?, As if there were no other reasons to do it as they do ?.

I would have spread it out more rather than the peaks and troughs CA (And you would judging by you flagging this thread.) are doing so people can keep up and know what they are getting.

Lolcore said:

I would have spread it out more rather than the peaks and troughs CA (And you judging by the fact that you flagged this thread.) are doing so people can keep up.
    but have you evidence that spreading it out is a good idea?

CA did this last time and change now and I doubt that was only because of skaven...

For me its more likely that the raindrop method over months is counter productive and a concentrated effort in the last 1-3 before release is the better way to go. The former simply runs the risk of too much being forgotten/not notice from potential customers. While the later gives people enough to remember the game and then make them buy it.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,905
    Dude. It's TW WH2.

It markets itself.

They know they got us on the hook already, lol.
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,573
    Would have loved to see more stuff before release, too.

At least there would be threads discussing about races,gameplay,balance etc instead of voiceacting complains.
  • MorbidlyAbeastMorbidlyAbeast Registered Users Posts: 189
    edited August 2017
    Guy writes "Bad Marketing" complaint in a wall of text.... :trollface:
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 5,640
    Depends who they're aiming it at, really.

If they're trying to draw new people into it, then no, it's not been very good at all.

If they're marketing it at the purchasers of the original game, especially those who are Warhammer fans rather than Total War ones, then they've done it very well.
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."

Would have loved to see more stuff before release, too.

At least there would be threads discussing about races,gameplay,balance etc instead of voiceacting complains.

I wouldn't bet that...

a lot of races of game 2 were already "discussed to death" before the release of game 1, at least from the "old guard" of the forum who usually keeps the conversation going.

And complaining about details/taste is a steady component of this forum.
    SiWI said:

Lolcore said:

I would have spread it out more rather than the peaks and troughs CA (And you judging by the fact that you flagged this thread.) are doing so people can keep up.

CA did this last time and change now and I doubt that was only because of skaven...

For me its more likely that the raindrop method over months is counter productive and a concentrated effort in the last 1-3 before release is the better way to go. The former simply runs the risk of too much being forgotten/not notice from potential customers. While the later gives people enough to remember the game and then make them buy it.
    I get what you are saying but my opinion is the opposite. I guess my problem is more with the fact that they witheld the Skaven for ages.

• ZerglesZergles Member Registered Users Posts: 3,014
    Steam has been marketing TWWH2 pretty well.

As have every Youtuber who does TW.

And every gaming blog that has ever played TWWH.

Then there's us here going around to all our friends saying "Bro. Dude. Man. Look at this...they released SKAVEN footage dood!."

I don't think CA has to do much.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,595

I personally think CA have really dropped the ball with their marketing for Warhammer II. This has mainly been down to the fact that they showed almost nothing until last week came along. It's all very well saving some information for the last month or so but they saved too much for last. They got carried away with milking that awful 'Skaven don't exist and you're a heretic' joke. It isn't funny and we don't live in the Warhammer world. This meant that they couldn't really show any campaign gameplay. They should have been announced with the rest of the races or at E3 at the lastest and the release date earlier too. They also dragged out Norsca for too long by announcing it too early. I know it is the early adopter bonus but it is content for the first game and will only be playable with the new races in the combined campaign. They are only showing gameplay for the Dark Elves tommorow because of that mistake. They still have lots of things. to do after that as well. The Lizardmen and High Elves still need their campaign gameplay. If it wasn't for their constant Skaven teasing they did that would probably have been shown by now as well. This post is simply to say that they need to improve their marketing. Keep this discussion civil please.

i disagree 100%. Sounds like all thats being said is that you dont like the approach they took.
    edited August 2017

SiWI said:

Lolcore said:

I get what you are saying but my opinion is the opposite. I guess my problem is more with the fact that they witheld the Skaven for ages.
    guess the marketing for game 3 will prove who is right.
    When they concentrate they marketing again for the last 2 months, then CA does view it as better.

As for the Skaven, that is most certainly not going to repeat, since no other race has that bit of lore this way nor can you really hide the last major races of game 3...

Besides:
    given the fact that the skaven do have game play mechanics to reflect that they are stealthy, it kinda makes sense that the marketing reflects that. As does the first trailer/intro with all races but them plain to see.
    edited August 2017
    Arsenic said:

If they're trying to draw new people into it, then no, it's not been very good at all.

If they're marketing it at the purchasers of the original game, especially those who are Warhammer fans rather than Total War ones, then they've done it very well.

Basically this although they were successful with us simply by announcing it. Despite having not touched the setting I loved the first game and this one has the best races from reading the wiki.

edited August 2017
    Arsenic said:

True. Really the Skaven reveal was pretty lackluster :P. The trailer was nice, but if it wasn't for the Doomwheel and Hellpit it would rank very low out of the overall trailers.

I think CA didn't need to milk it for that long, and even with Norsca. It's the marked quality improvement since WE/Brets and now Norsca that have made me more confident in Game 2 than actual marketing.

Marketing can be a costly endeavor and getting new people into the game has been hampered by their current strategy. More people = more **** we can enjoy down the line! (or well, in theory...)
    edited August 2017
    Nemox said:

I think CA didn't need to milk it for that long, and even with Norsca. It's the marked quality improvement since WE/Brets and now Norsca that have made me more confident in Game 2 than actual marketing.

I think that the long time is actually irrelevant for "fresh" faces...

its only annoying for people like us, following this forum closely, for "average joe", who hears of the game and remotely follows it from afar, its not annoying since he only pays attention when they are in the magazines.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 8,647
    It's hard for me to say it hasn't worked. It's certainly worked very well for me and kept me coming back to the forums constantly to check for any new scrap of information. At least the hype train hasn't had quite the same period during which to gather speed as it could have had but as in some cases we've seen that can also be detrimental and there's no guarantee that the hype train won't lose steam somewhere along the way if you go at it for too long.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • wothanwothan Registered Users Posts: 164
    The skaven business did overstay its welcome
    But well, atleast we gonna get more stuff now
    SiWI said:

Nemox said:

its only annoying for people like us, following this forum closely, for "average joe", who hears of the game and remotely follows it from afar, its not annoying since he only pays attention when they are in the magazines.
    True, but average joe is more interested in what he is getting for his money, and CA failed to deliver that crucial information for a long time.

It is odd that they chose this game to have a proper tutorial (Even with outside help) and be a recommended option for newcomers to Total War, but marketed towards Total War/Warhammer fans, who, lets be honest, would have already made their opinions via the first game.
  • PetromirPetromir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,153
    Nemox said:

SiWI said:

Nemox said:

True, but average joe is more interested in what he is getting for his money, and CA failed to deliver that crucial information for a long time.

It is odd that they chose this game to have a proper tutorial (Even with outside help) and be a recommended option for newcomers to Total War, but marketed towards Total War/Warhammer fans, who, lets be honest, would have already made their opinions via the first game.
    The average joe also likely isn't making the purchase decision several months in advance...
  • MarcusLiviusMarcusLivius Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 645
    Thread TL:DR = I'm a WH super fan, and I have never taken a marketing class(or a writing class for that matter).
  • TheChocolateJesusTheChocolateJesus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,427

Thread TL:DR = I'm a WH super fan, and I have never taken a marketing class(or a writing class for that matter).

Burn.
    It's gotta be a Chocolate Jesus to keep me satisfied.
  • twwatchertwwatcher Registered Users Posts: 2,381
    A lot of the schedule will be built around the shows such as E3, EGX and now Gamescom - Skaven is the big story there hitting max press coverage. Its all about building momentum leading up to launch.

Steamdb can show the trend while taking absolute values as an estimation:

It seems to be going in the right direction.