Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: Warhammer 2 - Dark Elves Campaign Let's Play

Comments

• cat59cat59 Registered Users Posts: 482

Why is the female dreadlord's Cold One not armored? According to the model showcase CA posted a while back it said Deadlords would ride armored COs. It would be a shame if they went back on that considering how cool they looked

Could just be that one point into the cold one mount gives a regular, while the second gives the armored version, like the warhorses/barded warhorses in game 1.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,687
    edited August 2017

nsnyder said:

There is a screen (2:27) in the game play video showing Malekith wearing "Armour of Fortune". This shouldn't be allowed. He should have his Armour of Midnight and not be allowed to change it. It might be a balancing issue? He would start out having a very powerful item, and CA might have decided to have his armour just look nice instead of having a really nice armour to start the game?

if he had the Armour locked there he wouldn't be able to equip the Surpreme Spellshield, since that also covers the Armour slot iirc.

Something similiar is already the case with KF who has to choose between the Reikland Runefang and Ghal Maraz...
    i figure the shield would be in the place of the enhanced item slot.
    the shield is an armour item though... Shields are in the Armour slot... otherwise, why not put theReikland Runefang in thea rmour slot cause reasons?

And as mentioned already, he's fused witht he armour, so having anything like "He chose not to use it" "He closed the book until xy" "He is gaining it only know" "he lost it!" excuses like with the other LLs would be rather stupid
    #RIP BORIS! KILLED BY CA AND GW WITH SHORTSIGHTED CRUELTY JUST TO SHOVE KOSTALTYN DOWN OUR THROATS!

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • harngersteinharngerstein Registered Users Posts: 836
    cat59 said:

Why is the female dreadlord's Cold One not armored? According to the model showcase CA posted a while back it said Deadlords would ride armored COs. It would be a shame if they went back on that considering how cool they looked

Could just be that one point into the cold one mount gives a regular, while the second gives the armored version, like the warhorses/barded warhorses in game 1.
    Go to 4:50 in the video. No second slot under the cold one mount on skill tree...
  • HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Registered Users Posts: 3,410

nsnyder said:

There is a screen (2:27) in the game play video showing Malekith wearing "Armour of Fortune". This shouldn't be allowed. He should have his Armour of Midnight and not be allowed to change it. It might be a balancing issue? He would start out having a very powerful item, and CA might have decided to have his armour just look nice instead of having a really nice armour to start the game?

if he had the Armour locked there he wouldn't be able to equip the Surpreme Spellshield, since that also covers the Armour slot iirc.

Something similiar is already the case with KF who has to choose between the Reikland Runefang and Ghal Maraz...
    the shield is an armour item though... Shields are in the Armour slot... otherwise, why not put theReikland Runefang in thea rmour slot cause reasons?

And as mentioned already, he's fused witht he armour, so having anything like "He chose not to use it" "He closed the book until xy" "He is gaining it only know" "he lost it!" excuses like with the other LLs would be rather stupid
    Think we haven't had a shield so far and it is enchanted shield that gives mr and some return dmg if a spell fails it gives no armor

She had fought beside Aenarion in the days of her youth, killing daemons, slaughtering the enemies of her people with wild abandon. She had cast spells and brewed poisons and worked out battle strategies for his armies. She had used her gift of visions to grant the elves victories innumerable.

The so-called high elves had forgotten that now, preferring to cast her as the villain in the simple-minded morality plays they so enjoyed since her son had sundered the realm. They had no idea what it had cost to win those battles back when all thought the world was ending, or the price she had paid for victory.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,687
    edited August 2017

nsnyder said:

Think we haven't had a shield so far and it is enchanted shield that gives mr and some return dmg if a spell fails it gives no armor
    No Shield as Quest Item, but iirc there had been Shields as "normal" armour items, I think for example a Mirror Shield
    Post edited by TheGuardianOfMetal on
    #RIP BORIS! KILLED BY CA AND GW WITH SHORTSIGHTED CRUELTY JUST TO SHOVE KOSTALTYN DOWN OUR THROATS!

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • knivsatanknivsatan Registered Users Posts: 28
    Is the name making thingy a DE thing only or could it be a way to specialize lords for other factions as well?
    knivsatan said:

Is the name making thingy a DE thing only or could it be a way to specialize lords for other factions as well?

As far as we know it is a DE mechanic

She had fought beside Aenarion in the days of her youth, killing daemons, slaughtering the enemies of her people with wild abandon. She had cast spells and brewed poisons and worked out battle strategies for his armies. She had used her gift of visions to grant the elves victories innumerable.

The so-called high elves had forgotten that now, preferring to cast her as the villain in the simple-minded morality plays they so enjoyed since her son had sundered the realm. They had no idea what it had cost to win those battles back when all thought the world was ending, or the price she had paid for victory.
  • NopeacejustwarNopeacejustwar Registered Users Posts: 1,284
    God damn this looks great. Can't wait!
  • Galvinized_IronGalvinized_Iron Registered Users Posts: 1,025
    edited August 2017

What is the point of all those fortresses in Ulthuan if the way is just wide open for an invasion from the South?

What's the point in the Great Wall of China if they can just go around it?
    Bad comparison. The Mongols went around the wall so why would not Malekith if there is a way? Why waste time on storming the fortresses when you can just go around? This essentially turns him into a huge idiot
    Because in real life there is such thing as supply of food. Travelling weeks to find another weak spot would obliterate troops morale, tire them beyond comprehension and when actual battle would start against well-rested defenders in their own territory they would loose.

Game obviously don't have any mechanic that would generate attrition from "being on the road for too long" but time itself is the enemy here. If there is only one easy opening in Ulthuan, HE can just simply bunker there and "You shall not pass". But You'll waste several turns to get there and realize that.
    No what you are saying is still not right because:

1) Malekith knows his home island. He doesn't need to "find any weak spot."
    2) Dark Elves got a strong navy so they can move around as they please.

What is the point of all those fortresses in Ulthuan if the way is just wide open for an invasion from the South?

Bad comparison. The Mongols went around the wall so why would not Malekith if there is a way? Why waste time on storming the fortresses when you can just go around? This essentially turns him into a huge idiot
    Because in real life there is such thing as supply of food. Travelling weeks to find another weak spot would obliterate troops morale, tire them beyond comprehension and when actual battle would start against well-rested defenders in their own territory they would loose.

Game obviously don't have any mechanic that would generate attrition from "being on the road for too long" but time itself is the enemy here. If there is only one easy opening in Ulthuan, HE can just simply bunker there and "You shall not pass". But You'll waste several turns to get there and realize that.

2) No... the High Elves have a formidable Navy themselves

'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • NemoxNemox Registered Users Posts: 2,897
    Grinnerz said:

One, every single Lord he was using was female. Are we locked into having female melee lords as DE and male melee lords as HE? I liked the choice that you got as WE, what they were was what you customized them into.

The Female Dark Elf Lords are melee, the Males are melee/ranged hybrid. The High Elves are the opposite.

Also, am I the only one to notice that there are two Vaul's Anvils on the map? One on Ulthuan that Malekith took, and the other at 5:56 owned by the AI. Are there supposed to be two or am I seeing things?
    There is a Vaul's anvil in Naggarond too. But the one in Ulthuan is the main one. During the sundering a high priest of Vaul defected to Malekith and forged him his Vader-suit.
  • capybarasiesta89capybarasiesta89 Senior Member Bath, UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,100
    With all that going on, not sure which Race I will start torn between Dark Elves and Skavens both two my most anticipated in game II, but I will be curious also about Lizardmen and High Elves how they play.

Well best bet is to play first 20 turns of each Race, that's what I'm going to do.
    #JusticeForTzeentch #JusticeForMonogods

7bmg1fojzz69.jpg
    Nemox said:

Grinnerz said:

One, every single Lord he was using was female. Are we locked into having female melee lords as DE and male melee lords as HE? I liked the choice that you got as WE, what they were was what you customized them into.

The Female Dark Elf Lords are melee, the Males are melee/ranged hybrid. The High Elves are the opposite.

Also, am I the only one to notice that there are two Vaul's Anvils on the map? One on Ulthuan that Malekith took, and the other at 5:56 owned by the AI. Are there supposed to be two or am I seeing things?
    There is a Vaul's anvil in Naggarond too. But the one in Ulthuan is the main one. During the sundering a high priest of Vaul defected to Malekith and forged him his Vader-suit.
    Yeah he was the High Priest of Vaul and stole the anvil form his temple

• DrusillaDarkoDrusillaDarko Registered Users Posts: 127
    Love it....totally love it. Love all the Female lords in action.

It's pretty much how I imagined the Druchii to be.

I also get the Morathi vs Malekith idea and am guessing the mechanics.

Take a bow CA. You've done a great job with my fave faction it seems.

Can't wait.

"The history of the Druchii is one of betrayal, of birthright denied and retribution long overdue...those who would become the Druchii fought at the forefront of the terrible Elven War against Chaos, spilling their blood to protect the land of Ulthan and the lives of their kin. They did this unflenchingly and without fear...When the threat of Chaos receded, those very Elves who had driven it thence were played false by their peers and cast from their ancestral home. A lesser people would have been forever broken by this betrayal, but the Druchii were determined to survive". - Dark Elves Warbook (8E).
  • ThatRabidPotatoThatRabidPotato Member Registered Users Posts: 403
    Grinnerz said:

Yes but I thought that was just the default setting for multiplayer. Are we really going to get railroaded like that in campaign?
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonRegistered Users Posts: 3,025
    This is some next level stuff - hats off to all the devs.

Highlights for me were:

- The Dark elves slave economy! More of this please. Looks a lot more interesting than Skaven's food mechanic.

- The vortex and ritual system - great to have a shared goal to aim towards across factions and ties in with the lore beautifully

- Traits - good to see them properly laid out in the character details screen, ditto agent skills on the actual campaign map.

- Nice little UI changes like the moves you can see at the end of turns, differentiating lords and heroes moves with option of fast and fastest. Gonna be very handy when campaigns get massive ;)

- The sheer scale and detail of the campaign map is breath-taking. Lovely to look at.

Feeling pretty hyped for this game now. The first game didn't really do it for me, but I'm getting the impression there's enough going on campaign-side to pique my interest for the second round.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,455
    Disclaimer, from a MP perspective these items need to have an ability you can activate in battle for it to actually be useable in Quick Battles... so I'm just talking about the abilities here.

Supreme Spellshield will probably be trash lol. Louen has his shield where it gives magic resistance and missile resistance and it's pretty pointless cause of how little of a buff it gives (it's like 22% of both for a short amount of time last I checked). If it's anything like that then it won't do a whole lot.

Destroyer is his weapon so it really depends on the cost and the amount of damage it causes when the ability is activated.

His magic item IDK. If it's just a normal +reserves +recharge WoM then it might be good.

Side note
    If his Destroyer ability has some kind of nod to the TT where it can disable enemy abilities it might be pretty interesting, but I doubt stalling out an ability would be all that amazing unless you can get on an enemy wizard, but that might not happen so, eh?

The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,490

In the lore the city of Lothern sits directly on top of the straits, and the only way to get to the interior of the island is either assaulting the gates or the biggest and most well fortified city the HE have. CA have decided to shunt Lothern off to the western side of the straits into Tiranoc/Caledor, leaving the straits wide open for some unfathomable reason.
    Just like this?

• GeldorGeldor Registered Users Posts: 1,115

Lorewise - he never just walked around because he knows his homeland. They usually attacked the gates. They also attack Lothern.

Trying to go through Lothern was even more difficult than through the gates, because Lothern is even more defended - and most of the HE fleet is there, which in the lore is not weaker than the DE fleet.

Taking away the HE fleet, and making it relatively easy to enter from the South differes from the lore.

No complain, as we don't know how it plays out, but it's definitely different from the lore.

Might simply be that otherwise a player could too easily defend Ulthuan from the AI.
  • az88az88 Registered Users Posts: 3,065
    Geldor said:

Lorewise - he never just walked around because he knows his homeland. They usually attacked the gates. They also attack Lothern.

Trying to go through Lothern was even more difficult than through the gates, because Lothern is even more defended - and most of the HE fleet is there, which in the lore is not weaker than the DE fleet.

Taking away the HE fleet, and making it relatively easy to enter from the South differes from the lore.

No complain, as we don't know how it plays out, but it's definitely different from the lore.

Might simply be that otherwise a player could too easily defend Ulthuan from the AI.
    If you look at the map in the video, the two branches of the Straights of Lothern have rocks across them (they look like causeways).

I suspect you have to land at the Glittering Tower (or a beach further down the coast) in order to access Lothern, at least without taking serious fleet damage. You then can't move through an enemy zone of control, can you? So the city would block your fleet.
  • az88az88 Registered Users Posts: 3,065
    The system ate my post.

There causeways across the straights leading to Lothern that will perhaps block or damage fleets.

If you want to get a fleet the Lothern I think you'll have to land at the Glitter Tower or a beach down the coast and then march there. If you try to go past Lothern by fleet you should take damage sailing over the rocks and then be blocked by the city's zone of control.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,364
    cat59 said:

Can Darren ( or anyone else ) confirm whether the Dark Elf Assassin is actually female or if he simply "misgendered" him.

And do we know wheather the slave mechanic is exclusive ot the Dark Elves, or if Skaven get it aswell?

Well, Assassins of Khaine for the Dark Elves are all male, last I heard. They're the male dark elf babies/children thrown into Cauldrons of Blood, and those that survive get trained to become Assassins, meanwhile I assume females become the Witch Elves.
    The Dark Elves in Total War seems to be totally massed up when it's comes to their gander lore.
  • twwatchertwwatcher Registered Users Posts: 2,620
    Tayvar said:

cat59 said:

Can Darren ( or anyone else ) confirm whether the Dark Elf Assassin is actually female or if he simply "misgendered" him.

And do we know wheather the slave mechanic is exclusive ot the Dark Elves, or if Skaven get it aswell?

Well, Assassins of Khaine for the Dark Elves are all male, last I heard. They're the male dark elf babies/children thrown into Cauldrons of Blood, and those that survive get trained to become Assassins, meanwhile I assume females become the Witch Elves.
    The Dark Elves in Total War seems to be totally massed up when it's comes to their gander lore.
    Yes goose or gander its very hard to tell. Maybe we should consult the rooster.
    HoneyBun said:

twwatcher said:

Tayvar said:

cat59 said:

Yes goose or gander its very hard to tell. Maybe we should consult the rooster.
    Unfortunately, because of a lack of Charlegmanes we have only been able to produce a limited rooster at this time

'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • GeldorGeldor Registered Users Posts: 1,115
    Thanks, now I'm hungry... .
    edited August 2017
    Geldor said:

Thanks, now I'm hungry... .

'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • NemoxNemox Registered Users Posts: 2,897
    Noticed at the very end there is a dragon in the HE army, with a Moon in the background. I'm gonna assume Moon Dragon because reasons, but I noticed its colour looks more yellow than the blue dragon we saw with the Skaven.

Suppose it being

Sun: Orange/Red
    Moon: Yellow-gold/white
    Star: Blue/White

Works pretty well showing the the differences of age in colour as well as size. Beats just having a slightly faded red moon and star dragon atleast.
  • DerpyRoxasDerpyRoxas Registered Users Posts: 3,348
    Just a curiosity...
    Was Tyrion model just changed to resemble his beautiful fanmade artwork?

• krunshkrunsh Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,693

Grinnerz said:

Yes but I thought that was just the default setting for multiplayer. Are we really going to get railroaded like that in campaign?
    Wood elves difference was in the skill tree. DE is in the model equipment. One is shielded one isn't.
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • Nyanko73Nyanko73 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,351
    What time is the next gameplay? In 20 minutes?

Team Yennefer

"A blinding flash materialised into a transparent sphere, and inside it loomed a shape, assuming contours and shapes at frightening speed. Dandelion recognised it at once. He knew those wild, black curls and the obsidian star on a velvet ribbon. What he didn’t know and had never seen before was the face. It was a face of rage and fury, the face of the goddess of vengeance, destruction and death." - Time of contempt