Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Want to buy a cheap desktop PC that can play this comfortably at max

umgeeumgee Posts: 15Registered Users
All I need is the base unit, as I already have a screen.

What would be the cheapest I could buy? I'm going to buy one this week. Literally, as soon as I find the right one, I'm buying it. I don't need/want a fancy gaming pc. Just something that's not too loud and can run this. I won't be using the system for other games really, or new A-rated games that require state of the art gpu's.

I like in the U.K (London, England) btw.

I bought a laptop this month that can't hack lesser games, so need a pc instead.

Thanks.

Comments

  • GettoGeckoGettoGecko Posts: 760Registered Users
    Get a cheap new AMD gpu for 130-150€ to play on all ultra settings without problems, a new AMD cpu with a cheap board and depending on if you want a SSD or stick with HDD you can build a PC for that game from 700-800€.
  • Redrum187Redrum187 Posts: 10Registered Users
    https://www.epsilonpc.co.uk/ Check this out they can also build you a pc the same day for the config you want
    go down a talk to them tell them you needs
    go get a kebab and a pintwhile you wait
    then you can go get you new laptop and go home and play warhammer :)
  • umgeeumgee Posts: 15Registered Users

    Get a cheap new AMD gpu for 130-150€ to play on all ultra settings without problems, a new AMD cpu with a cheap board and depending on if you want a SSD or stick with HDD you can build a PC for that game from 700-800€.

    Any of these sites good?

    https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/

    https://www.fiercepc.co.uk/gaming-pcs/budget

    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/1093_8225_71255_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

    What about this system?:
    https://www.cougar-extreme.co.uk/computers/budget-gaming-systems/amd-fm2-league-of-legends-pc.html

    700 euros is pretty pricey for my budget tbh

    I'll paypal 3 euros anyone who recommends me the system I'll buy
  • umgeeumgee Posts: 15Registered Users
    Redrum187 said:

    https://www.epsilonpc.co.uk/ Check this out they can also build you a pc the same day for the config you want
    go down a talk to them tell them you needs
    go get a kebab and a pintwhile you wait
    then you can go get you new laptop and go home and play warhammer :)

    Ok sweet, thanks.
  • umgeeumgee Posts: 15Registered Users
    edited August 2017
    Redrum187 said:

    https://www.epsilonpc.co.uk/ Check this out they can also build you a pc the same day for the config you want
    go down a talk to them tell them you needs
    go get a kebab and a pintwhile you wait
    then you can go get you new laptop and go home and play warhammer :)

    I'm going to go there today or today.

    Is this good enough? Is that a good deal?

    https://www.epsilonpc.co.uk/epsilon-custom-build-amd-socket-am3.html?options=cart

    I really don't know too much about the different specs nowadays, like what is value for money, outdated, decent quality etc. I don't even really know the difference between dd3 vs ddr4


    Oh, and I'll paypal you if you drop me your email :-D
  • cool_ladcool_lad Senior Member IndiaPosts: 2,251Registered Users
    What's the resolution on your screen?
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Posts: 4,748Registered Users
    700 will not get you Max for Warhammer. It will get you to High, few Ultra setting but Max will cost closer to 900-1000. It is much easier to invest 1000 now and then only spend 200-300 every 4 years as you gradually upgrade different parts. AM3 is older chipset now, not terrible but for price difference vs longevity of newer chipset I'd go newer.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • umgeeumgee Posts: 15Registered Users
    cool_lad said:

    What's the resolution on your screen?

    1920x1080 I think. It's a Samsung 24inch syncmaster b2430
  • umgeeumgee Posts: 15Registered Users
    Ichon said:

    700 will not get you Max for Warhammer. It will get you to High, few Ultra setting but Max will cost closer to 900-1000. It is much easier to invest 1000 now and then only spend 200-300 every 4 years as you gradually upgrade different parts. AM3 is older chipset now, not terrible but for price difference vs longevity of newer chipset I'd go newer.


    My current PC I've had about 6 years or more now. It's has a bfg nvidia geforce 9600gt card. I don't think I spent more than £100 (£80 I THINK) on it at the time.

    I do most of my gaming on the PS4 and really only play HoN on my PC these days. I don't think I'll ever be playing cross platform games on the PC instead of the PS4. I probably won't be upgrading and I hope to have better money in a few years and be in a position to just straight get a new PC and give the old one away. My budget is really tight now though. Honestly was hoping to spend around £300 max, but seems everything is pretty pricy now.

    When I bought my old PC at a computer fair, it didn't cost more than £300 iirc, just the graphics card upgrade cost more
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Posts: 4,748Registered Users
    If you can use current case and some other stuff you can upgrade alot cheaper than buying all new. Is your current computer a certain model or someone built it?
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • umgeeumgee Posts: 15Registered Users
    Ichon said:

    If you can use current case and some other stuff you can upgrade alot cheaper than buying all new. Is your current computer a certain model or someone built it?

    My current system is custom built from a computer fair. Pretty worn out and dusty tbh. I still use windows xp on it, but I do like xp anyway lol

    Specs I found:

    Intel(R)Core(TM)2CPU
    6600 " 2.40GHz
    2.39 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

    GeForce 9600GT
    Memory Size:512 MB

    550W EZCool power box

    And I have a 200GB hard drive, SATA I think.

    Plus DVDRW drive that's kinda busted and doesn't always open.
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Posts: 4,748Registered Users
    edited August 2017
    umgee said:
    Yeah exactly- the top combo deal gives you a pretty fast CPU + MOBO + RAM and 550 watt should power that just fine. I have DVDRW combo drive but I've used it maybe 3-4 times in 4 years so it is probably my last build including one and for computers with USB ports and internet connection not really worth worrying about.

    Get a 1050Ti for 150 and you should be set for a couple years- most 1050Ti can run off the motherboard- a few need 1 power connection but even that power supply should work. If you wanted to do any other upgrades I'd look at new power supply and an SSD first.

    Those cheap Windows 10 licenses are usually activation keys from bundles to other region markets. Microsoft support these days is kinda eh if you ever need to contact them directly but far as I can tell they don't care so long as the activation key is valid originally. It is simply too hard to track these days- I've bought PC in Japan and taken it back to the U.S. and I am sure there are many PC purchased in India or China that are brought to UK and for Microsoft to police that is not worth the cost for them so far.

    I wouldn't always recommend using that but for the cheapest upgrade you can get its probably ok BUT since it is not an authorized retailer you just have to hope it is not pirated copy and that Amazon will refund if you have an issue. Windows XP is really too old now for gaming and even doing some other things while XP can do most of them it is just a huge pain.

    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • umgeeumgee Posts: 15Registered Users
    Ichon said:

    umgee said:
    Yeah exactly- the top combo deal gives you a pretty fast CPU + MOBO + RAM and 550 watt should power that just fine. I have DVDRW combo drive but I've used it maybe 3-4 times in 4 years so it is probably my last build including one and for computers with USB ports and internet connection not really worth worrying about.

    Get a 1050Ti for 150 and you should be set for a couple years- most 1050Ti can run off the motherboard- a few need 1 power connection but even that power supply should work. If you wanted to do any other upgrades I'd look at new power supply and an SSD first.

    Those cheap Windows 10 licenses are usually activation keys from bundles to other region markets. Microsoft support these days is kinda eh if you ever need to contact them directly but far as I can tell they don't care so long as the activation key is valid originally. It is simply too hard to track these days- I've bought PC in Japan and taken it back to the U.S. and I am sure there are many PC purchased in India or China that are brought to UK and for Microsoft to police that is not worth the cost for them so far.

    I wouldn't always recommend using that but for the cheapest upgrade you can get its probably ok BUT since it is not an authorized retailer you just have to hope it is not pirated copy and that Amazon will refund if you have an issue. Windows XP is really too old now for gaming and even doing some other things while XP can do most of them it is just a huge pain.

    Ok I will do that then.

    Thanks for all your help.
  • umgeeumgee Posts: 15Registered Users
    edited September 2017
    Just an update:

    windows 10 pro (the cheap license option from amazon)
    i5-7600 3.8ghz
    8gb ram
    geforce gt 1050ti (2 fans version)
    samsung 850 evo ssd 250gb


    That's what I bought.

    Got Attila Total War for cheapish, just to try and familiarise myself with the gameplay.
    Runs great.
    So does Path of Exile.

    Wondering, is it worth getting another 8gb ram?
    I have 1 single 8gb stick atm. Everything runs great (pre Warhammer 2). Is an upgrade in RAM necessary or much of a difference?
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Posts: 4,748Registered Users
    Probably not necessary right now unless you are going to be doing some heavy multi tasking but RAM prices rarely change much and if you want to keep this PC for a few years (CPU should hold up, in couple years might want new GPU) then more RAM could be worth it but for now it won't be a pure waste of money but also won't bring much noticeable benefit.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
Sign In or Register to comment.