Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ultrabook/Laptop that can run this game at max settings?

umgeeumgee Posts: 15Registered Users
edited August 2017 in Technology
I'm going to buy a new laptop this week. It will be mainly for business and I may need to run a few programs on it. I will need/want that new Thunderbolt 3 technology too. I wanted something under 14"/15", as I can use a separate screen anyway. Something light.

Asus ZenBook Pro UX550 - Looks a bit big and heavy? And I don't see a TB3 port?

https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-zenbook-ux510-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-ram-1tb-hdd-256gb-ssd-nvidia-geforce-gtx960m-15-6-4k-screen/p3169947?sku=236731510&s_kwcid=2dx92700018956192655&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj-bA09XF1QIVpLftCh1YKgyIEAQYASABEgLJp_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

ASUS ZenBook 3 UX390 12.5" - Maybe a weak and not good enough ports?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-zenbook-3-ux390-12-5-laptop-blue-10154556-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=xprqqmwrli&istBid=tztx

HP Spectre x360 - Too big?

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=Z6K96EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB&lang=en-GB&jumpID=ps_xeuz482n9f/sf:_sku:Z6K96EA&k_clickid=EMEA|_kenshoo_clickid_&kpid=Z6K96EA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuf7-sNfF1QIV7Z3tCh150QpHEAYYASABEgIG9PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKDtyrTXxdUCFYww0wodLHwENQ

HP Spectre Pro 13 G1 - Slightly above my budget and weak graphics?

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=X2F00EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB&lang=en-GB&jumpID=ps_xeuz482n9f/sf:_sku:X2F00EA&k_clickid=EMEA|_kenshoo_clickid_&kpid=X2F00EA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuf7-sNfF1QIV7Z3tCh150QpHEAYYBCABEgIyuPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMH6rbjXxdUCFXEE0wodSV8Dwg

Thanks

Comments

• TheHolyPilgrimTheHolyPilgrim Junior Member Posts: 453Registered Users
    I do not believe that any of these will be able to run Warhammer at max setting. Maybe High Settings in some areas with AA, Vertical Sync, and Shadows turned off or on low.

The strongest laptop here looks to be the ASUS ZenBook. A GTX960M and a Dual-Core Intel Core i7-7500U are the best GPU and Processor out of the bunch here, but even that won't run the game at max settings. It will definitely run the game, but don't expect to be amazed by it. It's pricing compared to the others is also better.

Do NOT get the HP Spectre Pro 13, though. That thing has an Integrated Graphics card and is fairly pricey. If you want high end gaming, integrated cards are a show-stopper.
  • umgeeumgee Posts: 15Registered Users

I do not believe that any of these will be able to run Warhammer at max setting. Maybe High Settings in some areas with AA, Vertical Sync, and Shadows turned off or on low.

The strongest laptop here looks to be the ASUS ZenBook. A GTX960M and a Dual-Core Intel Core i7-7500U are the best GPU and Processor out of the bunch here, but even that won't run the game at max settings. It will definitely run the game, but don't expect to be amazed by it. It's pricing compared to the others is also better.

Do NOT get the HP Spectre Pro 13, though. That thing has an Integrated Graphics card and is fairly pricey. If you want high end gaming, integrated cards are a show-stopper.

Ok ty.

Are there any business Ultrabooks/Laptops out there the that can do that?
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Posts: 4,712Registered Users
    edited August 2017
    Razer Blade 14
    Alienware 13

Actually this review covers most of this better than I can spend the time writing-

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/2071-best-gaming-ultrabooks/

True less than 13" ultra books that can max current games... I don't know if those exist. I've never seen them at least. It is just asking for too many trade offs to fit in a GPU, high end CPU, cooling, plus the ports and drives. Going less than 14" is going to be hard but it does look like a few of those exist.

1060 is probably your best option, you will get close to max though on the laptop version not everything will be maxed and still run at high fps, there are supposed to be some models coming with gtx1070 but not sure when you will actually be able to get your hands on them if you are looking to buy soon.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
    edited August 2017
    Ichon said:

Razer Blade 14
    Alienware 13

Actually this review covers most of this better than I can spend the time writing-

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/2071-best-gaming-ultrabooks/

True less than 13" ultra books that can max current games... I don't know if those exist. I've never seen them at least. It is just asking for too many trade offs to fit in a GPU, high end CPU, cooling, plus the ports and drives. Going less than 14" is going to be hard but it does look like a few of those exist.

1060 is probably your best option, you will get close to max though on the laptop version not everything will be maxed and still run at high fps, there are supposed to be some models coming with gtx1070 but not sure when you will actually be able to get your hands on them if you are looking to buy soon.

Hi, just to update, I bought HP 360 spectre 15".
    *This model had a dedicated graphics card.

The thing gets hot in minutes and the fan spins fairly loud.

This was when I tried games such as HoN and Path of Exile on it too.

You are right bout 13" ultrabooks, but now I'm thinking that ultrabooks just simply aren't ready for this technology yet. I am going to buy a cheap PC for this game instead.
    Post edited by umgee on
  • cool_ladcool_lad Senior Member IndiaPosts: 2,071Registered Users
    First and most important question; what's your budget?
    edited August 2017
    cool_lad said:

Well the laptop I bought and am returing was £1499.

But now I'm just going to try and split that money to buy a 13" ultrabook with less specs and pc base unit that I can game on. Probably around 1000 on the ultrabook and 500 or less on a base unit (or cheaper for both if I can).
  • NobleGunnerNobleGunner Posts: 729Registered Users
    umgee said:

I'm going to buy a new laptop this week. It will be mainly for business and I may need to run a few programs on it. I will need/want that new Thunderbolt 3 technology too. I wanted something under 14"/15", as I can use a separate screen anyway. Something light.

Asus ZenBook Pro UX550 - Looks a bit big and heavy? And I don't see a TB3 port?

https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-zenbook-ux510-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-ram-1tb-hdd-256gb-ssd-nvidia-geforce-gtx960m-15-6-4k-screen/p3169947?sku=236731510&s_kwcid=2dx92700018956192655&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj-bA09XF1QIVpLftCh1YKgyIEAQYASABEgLJp_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

ASUS ZenBook 3 UX390 12.5" - Maybe a weak and not good enough ports?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-zenbook-3-ux390-12-5-laptop-blue-10154556-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=xprqqmwrli&istBid=tztx

HP Spectre x360 - Too big?

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=Z6K96EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB&lang=en-GB&jumpID=ps_xeuz482n9f/sf:_sku:Z6K96EA&k_clickid=EMEA|_kenshoo_clickid_&kpid=Z6K96EA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuf7-sNfF1QIV7Z3tCh150QpHEAYYASABEgIG9PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKDtyrTXxdUCFYww0wodLHwENQ

HP Spectre Pro 13 G1 - Slightly above my budget and weak graphics?

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=X2F00EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB&lang=en-GB&jumpID=ps_xeuz482n9f/sf:_sku:X2F00EA&k_clickid=EMEA|_kenshoo_clickid_&kpid=X2F00EA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuf7-sNfF1QIV7Z3tCh150QpHEAYYBCABEgIyuPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMH6rbjXxdUCFXEE0wodSV8Dwg

Thanks

None of these are near good enough to run game at max. Sorry son.
  • NobleGunnerNobleGunner Posts: 729Registered Users
    1) look for 15 inch display.
    2) You will likely have to pay 2500 plus aud to get anything that can run it close to it.

I went with MSI for my gaming laptop. Got the dominator pro and it is running it great. If you aren't worried about portability then get the 17 incher.

Worth looking into ROG strix, razor pro, or any Alienware.
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Posts: 4,712Registered Users
    umgee said:

cool_lad said:

But now I'm just going to try and split that money to buy a 13" ultrabook with less specs and pc base unit that I can game on. Probably around 1000 on the ultrabook and 500 or less on a base unit (or cheaper for both if I can).
    I guess you have to decide what you want more. You can get tablet or mid spec PC for 500 and use the 1000 toward desktop or do something in between. 800-900 will get you a decent PC new, if you can salvage 2-3 components of your current PC you might even be able to spend 600 on upgrades and get almost max.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
    Ichon said:

umgee said:

cool_lad said:

I guess you have to decide what you want more. You can get tablet or mid spec PC for 500 and use the 1000 toward desktop or do something in between. 800-900 will get you a decent PC new, if you can salvage 2-3 components of your current PC you might even be able to spend 600 on upgrades and get almost max.
    My laptop will be more important, so I'd be willing to sacrifice PC performance as long as I get a desktop that can run the game well at standard (doesn't have to be max) where it still looks nice. Too bad I have a tight budget and really the absolute most I could stretch to for both would be £1600, but I was hoping to go down not up in price.