Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Let's talk on Beastmen... Other breeds of Beastmen

EquixEquix Registered Users Posts: 792
Other Beastmen Breeds
Beyond the Old World Forests

The majority of recorded encounters with Beastmen seem to focus on the regions of the great forest within the Empire boundaries – particularly the Drakwald and the depths of the Forest of Shadows, these records describe monsters with bovine or goat heads but human bodies. However the truth is that the Beastmen from these regions are just a small cross section of the vast hordes inhabiting the world after the warp gates collapsed and chaos flowed across the continents unabated.

Chaos is anything but uniform in its manifestation and this is reflected in the variety of Beastmen types to be found around the Warhammer World. The Beastmen around the World tend to be a reflection of the local habitat, climate, and most common animal species of the region and prevailing legends and nightmares of the population of that region. Whether the latter is more attributable to the Beastmen influencing folklore or the ability of Chaos to shape the Beastmen into the most suitably terrifying form is unknown – but the effect is convincingly terrifying to the average populace. For example – in the Empire most folklore depicts Daemons as bestial creatures with the heads of goats, hence no coincidence this generality matches the appearance of the Gors of the Drakwald Forest.

The Blackspines Beastmen

A curious type of Beastmen is known to inhabit the Blackspines in the lands of the Naggaroth, this scaled creature typically stays in the shadows of the mountains or caves at least during daylight hours – they are taller than a man, as high as an Elf more like and are covered from head to toe in craggy scales, they are not particularly evolved and still brandish stone axes or clubs as weapons. But they are numerous and from time to time are known to either form raiding parties or latch onto a greater warband of Chaos off towards some greater objective of mutual benefit.

The Cat-Beastmen of Indhya

In the lands of Indhya and Khuresh the Beastmen are different again, these ferocious beasts have the heads of giant hunting cats similar in appearance to the common Tiger, Lion and Panther – the jungles in those lands are dense and humid and the peoples of those lands know not too venture too far into the interior, as few who do ever return to tell of their experience.

Some believe these great Cat-Beastmen to be capable of malevolent actions, and stories have come to light of advancing armies of Goblins or Skaven reaching the gates of the villagers only to be suddenly attacked by hordes of shrieking Cat-Beastmen, ripping through their ranks slashing with their extended talons – leaping high in the air their weapons glinting in the sunlight and then crashing down into the sallied ranks of the enemy, moving almost too quickly for the human eye to track – darting this way and that, surprisingly so for beasts of their size, balanced and agile but capable of delivering devastatingly powerful blows to anything foolish enough to stand still for long enough.

Exactly why the Cat-Beastmen chose to attack on these occasions is probably not as selfless as some would like to believe however, and certainly should not be taken as any indication of a bond between Cat-Beastmen and man, for they surely resent and despise Man as much as any other Chaos mutated Beastman – likely as not the Cat-Beastmen view other races such as Greenskins or Skaven or even Lizardmen as rivals to their territories and without a doubt ambush is all Beastmen’s preferred method of combat.

In several regions in the East some of the lesser evolved tribes of humans (particularly the Malays of Khuresh) worship of the Cat-Beastmen appears to be common practice, so much so that armed units of humans will go into battle alongside the Cat-Beastmen – adorning themselves in furs, and feathers and wearing other garments representative of the great Cat Beast warriors or other Beastmen tribes they live near.

Ape-Beastmen of the Southlands

The men of Araby and explorers from the Old World have long known of the Ape-Beastmen of the jungles of the Southlands, although some are reportedly little more than lumbering bellowing giants wielding massive two handed axes and hammers and others skitter around screeching and clawing at the enemy, it is said that they are lead by upright intelligent Apemen who speak a dialect of language of Men of the Southlands.

The hordes of the Ape-Beastmen of the Southlands differ from other Beastmen warherds in that they are organised in a fashion similar to any other armed units from other civilised nations – there will be units of shock troops, mounted warriors, ranged weapon units and armoured elite warriors.

Their weapons and tools are not just looted from other races but clearly constructed themselves and reports are they live in fortified villages deep within the jungles of the Southlands, frequently fighting massive battles against the Lizardmen or Savage Orcs of the region.

Would be a reskin enough and refreshing for those Beastmen of Naggaroth and Dark Lands?

My heart is for Nagash.
My dreams are made of Elves..
And my soul always sides with ogres, goblins and beastmen.

Amazons and Cathay are coming!

Comments

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,521
    edited September 2017

Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • RedunzgofastaRedunzgofasta Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 49
    Copy pasta much?
    https://warhammerfluffsource.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/beastmen/

you should at least have given credits for that wall of text you "stole".
  • EquixEquix Registered Users Posts: 792
    edited September 2017
    Alternative beastmen Lord Elephant, this could be something about Ape-beastmen or an equal to minotaur?
    It's an african elephant for sure.

source http://lastchancewar.blogspot.com.es/2012/12/army-showcase-beastmen.html

seems the elephant is invented without lore :( custom made by the guy, still interesting to see

apes, spinebacks and cats still on the rise of other breed of beastmen
    and still canon

My heart is for Nagash.

Copy pasta much?
    https://warhammerfluffsource.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/beastmen/

you should at least have given credits for that wall of text you "stole".

yes, my fault, this is the source

My heart is for Nagash.

• IcestrugleIcestrugle Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    edited September 2017
    Different models... No reskins... If a goat weres a tiger fure doesn't make it w tiger
    edited September 2017
    Maybe the horns can be hidden and every unit reskinned to a local equivalent: ape, cat, spineback.. With creative painting of details can be done and a minor retouching when needed, but I think they shouldn't create armies from 0, a reskin with sligtly model retouching could work.

My heart is for Nagash.

• obippoobippo Member Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    the elephant is so cool but sadly yes, it's a custom model

also I doubt we get beastmen variations but one can wish....
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 25,929
    What about the Araby Beastmen who can turn into giant blobs?

The Araby beastmen are apes, sadly is the least interesting of the other breeds outside old world. Spinebacks and Catfolks are very interesting.

My heart is for Nagash.

edited September 2017
    Equix said:

The Araby beastmen are apes, sadly is the least interesting of the other breeds outside old world. Spinebacks and Catfolks are very interesting.

I heard Araby Beastmen are the smartest in the whole world. That's why they build spaceships and left before Chaos blew the planet up. Everyone who stayed behind, especially the people from Albion were angry that their brains were too small to do the same.

edited September 2017
    You are not going to trap me there on your nonsesical inferiority cultural complex. End Times were bad for everyone.

I liked much better WH Fantasy over Age of Sigmar.

My heart is for Nagash.

edited September 2017
    I think Spineback for game 2 and catfolk beastmen for game 3 is very possible. They would make them to justify Zombie Pirates and expanding VC :p

My heart is for Nagash.

• Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,271
    Lets be honest they aren't going to add new models for Beastmen unless it's their missing army book units. I mean the Dwarfs aren't even getting a proper rune system. They are pretty much focusing on the newer races which honestly is where their focus should be in terms of models.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• FifthOfSpaghettiFifthOfSpaghetti Registered Users Posts: 1,630
    The Estalian Beastmen could have feathers and look like eagles or angels maybe
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Registered Users Posts: 2,009
    Elephant beastman.

Got to have it in for the Kingdom of Ind.

I would get arabian apes over beastmen angels anyday

My heart is for Nagash.

• Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,608
    Hopefully they will add plenty of cool lore friendly allied beastmen to the Araby dlc that everyone demands CA release next
    Equix said:

There's already Beastmen Angels their called Harpies.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

Stop

Equix said:

harpies aren't divine origin, angel eagles of Myrmidia are

My heart is for Nagash.

• FifthOfSpaghettiFifthOfSpaghetti Registered Users Posts: 1,630
    Equix said:

Stop

Equix said:

Chaos is sort of divine in the Warhammer world. It's evil but it's certainly a higher divine power.
    Equix said:

Stop

Equix said:

And Angels don't exist in Warhammer Birdmen and Harpies do.

edited September 2017

Hopefully they will add plenty of cool lore friendly allied beastmen to the Araby dlc that everyone demands CA release next

I am the greatest ally of Araby, my alliance would work beyond dead

Equix said:

Stop

Equix said:

Chaos is sort of divine in the Warhammer world. It's evil but it's certainly a higher divine power.
    that's true, to bad thanI am more on the low divine side of things. Like beastmen, TK, Ogre Kingdoms and Nagash.

High Elves are starting to appeal me, too underdogs are interesting to powerplay. That's why I want to help to give something something to DoW and talk on alternative things of Warhammer Universe.

My heart is for Nagash.

• MrMecHMrMecH Registered Users Posts: 2,289
    Do the other Beastmen type are mutant from corruption too? I like them but they look out of concept from Greek-Monster army.
    SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

MrMecH said:

Do the other Beastmen type are mutant from corruption too? I like them but they look out of concept from Greek-Monster army.

That's probably were Games workshop got them as there are units called Minotaurs, Harpies and Centigors (Centaur)

Equix said:

You are not going to trap me there on your nonsesical inferiority cultural complex. End Times were bad for everyone.

I liked much better WH Fantasy over Age of Sigmar.

Araby > rest of the WH world, FACT. The reason GW never made an Araby army book is because they knew they'd clean up Chaos, undead and Greenskins so fast, there would only be peace and prosperity left in no time flat!

• CalippolippoCalippolippo Registered Users Posts: 70
    @Equix What about man bear pig?

@Equix What about man bear pig?

probably would be renamed to Magic snowflakes from one thousand and one magic nights

My heart is for Nagash.

• KGpoopyKGpoopy Registered Users Posts: 2,009
    MrMecH said:

Can't be a beastmen without the magic from the chaos realm. Creatures are altered in different ways, and even many are new creations.

Other places where there is small mentions of tigermen, and all this kind of stuff is unique to them. Just like werewolves are unique to Norsca and some parts of northern empire.
  • NemoxNemox Registered Users Posts: 2,872
    We're not even getting the other type of Beastmen near Naggaroth, what makes you think CA will touch any of the other obscure types?