Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: WARHAMMER II - Lizardmen Let's Play

124»

Comments

• rad13rad13 Member Registered Users Posts: 631
    edited September 2017
    Think of them like mercenaries. You do pay gold to raise the army; the more gold you pay the better the Merc army you get in return; and you also have only marginal control over them (i.e. You tell them who to fight, but don't control them after that)

And if you knew that you needed to stop a rival empire within a limited time window then of course you would try and raise this mercenary army as close to their target as possible.

The only non-loreful / real world part of this is that the merc army raised under these conditions would likely be a very mixed assortment of units from many factions, not just your own. Just like dogs of war, or perhaps even the rogue armies.

It would be brilliant if these intervention armies were actually dogs of war armies. Perhaps that's on the cards if CA release dogs of war as a faction.

But if they don't, I like the mechanism and whilst not perfect, think it will add to the gameplay experience.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,491
    @rad13 suddenly appearing at enemy territories?
    jamreal18 said:

@rad13 suddenly appearing at enemy territories?

Yeah. As I said, if I was raising a mercy army to take out a city and I only had a short window of time, I'd be trying to raise that army as close to its target as possible.

The perfect scenario IMO is that you raised dogs of war armies that appeared right on your enemiy's border.

And from what we've seen, the current implementation is not that far from this. It does require a little roleplaying though, which may not be for everyone.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,491
    @rad13 Dogs of War is nice but they are exactly the same units as yours.

Anyways, what will happen after they completed their mission, will they going to stay under your command or vanish?
  • CorhalCorhal Registered Users Posts: 5
    SiWI said:

az88 said:

Geldor said:

Itharus said:

If you can see Skaven corruption... doesn't that sort of invalidate the purpose of them existing in ruins? You'll know exactly where they are.

That likely was a more gimmicky feature anyway. On day one someone will post all the Skven starting location.

And if you come across a lot of ruins you know why that means.

If it's a single newly acquired Sklaven city you won't know.

And you can decide to not look at Skven corruption if you want to.

Might not make such a big difference in reality.
    An easy solution would be to have corruption only visible at a high level unless you have a hero or lord with certain traits. So by the time you notice Skaven corruption it's already too later...*add squeaky laughter here*
    But isn't that the case anyway?

Because I though that only bigger skaven cities create skaven corruption in the first place.

I thought managing skaven corruption was one of the campaign mechanics for Skaven factions, and managing/mitigating skaven corruption was critical to the "stealth" part of their faction and if it isn't managed they reveal their territory without the need for heroes.
    jamreal18 said:

Anyways, what will happen after they completed their mission, will they going to stay under your command or vanish?

I agree it would be more loreful if the merc army was comprised of mixed units - like the old Dogs of War army book - but if that never happens then using your own faction troops makes sense from a design perspective.

I don't think we know we know what happens to these merc armies. I assume they disappear, but if they are being treated the same as waagh armies then they may hang around and be treated as an ally army.
  • JungleElfJungleElf Registered Users Posts: 5,285
    How are the Dogs of War more loreful as intervention forces than those of your own faction? That doesn't make any sense. The Dogs of War would be stupid to invade Eathaine on behalf of the Skaven, for example.
  • ITA_Vae_VictisITA_Vae_Victis Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 1,811

jamreal18 said:

Intervention

So everyone can can just call an intervention army?

Isn't it like magic armies appearing out of nowhere?

Pretty much.

Problem is without them the game would feel too isolated. You'd do your ritual, fight off chaos and that's done, now you have to fight off the competing factions, which now happily feel like they're really competing with you.

I think it'll result in a lot of good battles as you try and defend your three ritual sites.
    In the TotalBiscuit's stream that just ended he was playing and Skaven and called the middle-sized intervention army to disrupt the HE ritual, but the intervention army was completely butchered when it tried to siege the town.

They seem more like a hindrance than a "I stop your ritual" button.
    They shouldn't be a "stop ritual button", so much as a disruptive force. Only the most expensive one should stop rituals with any regularity, and the others should need to be used in conjunction with a main army to stop a ritual.
    Yep, totally agreed.
    JungleElf said:

How are the Dogs of War more loreful as intervention forces than those of your own faction? That doesn't make any sense. The Dogs of War would be stupid to invade Eathaine on behalf of the Skaven, for example.

i suppose it depends how you think about it.

if the intervention force started in your own territory and then functioned like a wargh or warherd, then yes I'd agree that a loreful army would consist of your own faction's troops.

but since the army starts in your enemy's territory then it is much more likely that they are a mercenary force. and since they're a mercenary force they could consist of whatever units, regiments and forces happen to be in that part of the world at that particular time.
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,189
    edited September 2017
    Al did a great job. Showed off a bunch and was very clear about everything.

Btw Slann are ranged heros?
  • Reaper49Reaper49 Registered Users Posts: 755
    jamreal18 said:

Im sure they will never be under your control but this is a nice question.
  • House_OrdosHouse_Ordos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 17
    Looks good, but please slow down the combat! Unable to view the beautiful work you are putting into the units these days. Bring back the melee grind! Maybe have a different HP setting for single player versus the Multiplayer fans who want the battles to be quick. I have hundreds of hours on each of your games since Rome, and love your games just wish the melee lasted as long as it did in Rome and Medieval 2. My father who was your original fan isn't able to deal with the spend of combat since Shogun at his more advance age so an option for more hp or some other option would be amazing for us fans of the original battle speeds.

Did I mention how amazing your artist/animators/etc are doing for the battles!? Watching Lizardman is making my inner child cry in excitement seeing Dino's smashing into human sized people.