Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Considering an upgrade, what do you guys think?

nrdilodoviconrdilodovico Posts: 59Registered Users
I'm running a:

Intel Core i7 4790 Haswell Processor
HP 2b36 Motherboard
PCI-Express Graphical Interface
12 GB DDR3 3994 MHz memory
HP NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4 GB DDR 3 Graphics Card

Is this good enough or should i switch things up?? Thanks fellaz and ladies

Comments

• MarcusLiviusMarcusLivius Senior Member Posts: 637Registered Users

I'm running a:

Intel Core i7 4790 Haswell Processor
    HP 2b36 Motherboard
    PCI-Express Graphical Interface
    12 GB DDR3 3994 MHz memory
    HP NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4 GB DDR 3 Graphics Card

Is this good enough or should i switch things up?? Thanks fellaz and ladies

I would recommend a SSD if you don't have one, and it is probably time to move on from that graphics card. I think your processor and Ram are fine.
  • nrdilodoviconrdilodovico Posts: 59Registered Users
    I do have an SSD, curious on what Graphics card to take, not truly savy on what exactly my motherboard would be limited to.
  • TheBlaze_64TheBlaze_64 Posts: 197Registered Users
    See if a GTX 1070 would work. I'm a little biased towards Nvidia cards but that should be good for this game at least.
  • MarcusLiviusMarcusLivius Senior Member Posts: 637Registered Users

I do have an SSD, curious on what Graphics card to take, not truly savy on what exactly my motherboard would be limited to.

It's PCI Express so I don't think you will see an issue with the motherboard. However, depending on your Power Supply you could see issues with some cards. Typically it seems that Nvidia cards use less power than AMD cards., so using one of their cards may be a safer bet. Pick a video card at $100 and up and it will probably be much better than the card you have now. If I was recommending a new card for the game I don't think i would recommend less than an RX580 or a 1060.

I myself have an Rx480 8GB, and I typically get around 55 FPS in Warhammer with everything on Ultra.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,790Registered Users
    You have 4ghz DDR3? That is totally wrong.... You must have read that wrong and got it confused with the CPU clock speed.

Check your power supply and see what wattage it has. If it's anything above 500W I would suggest a RX570/1060 3GB as the lowest options.
    Would recommend nothing less than a RX580/1060 6GB however.
  • AnnoyedOneEyedGuyAnnoyedOneEyedGuy Posts: 1,003Registered Users
    upgrade the GCard
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Posts: 4,730Registered Users
    edited September 2017
    745 is barely playable in my opinion- not sure how you ended up with that with and i7 4790. You should be pretty good with 1060 6gb though if you go up to a 1070 you'll want to think about new power supply as well.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • AntfunkAntfunk Posts: 365Registered Users
    edited September 2017
    Interesting. After installing an SSD yesterday I did lots of playing around with different settings and I have heard from a YouTuber that has the game that TWW2 is much better optimised so i will be doing some experimenting tomorrow to find my sweet spot.

I'm mainly a console player so I don't invest in my PC as much and I have had it about 10 years but it was quite top of the range when I got it. I upgraded my graphics card for TWW1 to Nvidia GTX 750 Ti and that allows me to play on high or ultra graphics with large and ultra unit size and I get 30 to 59 fps depending with high to ultra unit size, (20 stack army) and depending on the height of my camera. Zoomed all the way out, (which lets face it, is what I see most of the time as I play on very hard so I can't really stop to survey), sees it at the top end of the fps spectrum. Mid point is where the slow down really happens and zoomed all the way in for the action sees it towards the top end again.

I appreciate though for some people that type of fps is not playable for people but everyone is different and I am used to not having the best fps going :).

I did add an SSD yesterday to my PC and wow that was the best upgrade ever. 2 - 5 minutes load times reduced to seconds :)!

I am by no means a PC techy as you can tell so these guys can give you much better info but just wanted to give you an idea what I am experiencing with a very affordable graphics card which works for me as I don't really play any highly demanding PC games other than this one.
    Yeah I've noticed that the SSD made a big difference and I think I'm running a similar card as u. My rig is about three years old now, priced out some of the 1050 Ti and they don't look that bad. Probably will wait til Cyber Monday to make a purchase.
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Posts: 4,730Registered Users

Yeah I've noticed that the SSD made a big difference and I think I'm running a similar card as u. My rig is about three years old now, priced out some of the 1050 Ti and they don't look that bad. Probably will wait til Cyber Monday to make a purchase.

The 750Ti is almost twice as fast as the 745. 750Ti is definitely playable with an i7 4790K though getting almost 60fps is pretty surprising since I have the same CPU and a GTX 770 and usually am getting 45-55fps though I do have most Ultra settings aside from shadows.

YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.