Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Warhammer not starting after Norsca release? Please remove mods and try again!

CA_MatthewCA_Matthew The Creative AssemblyRegistered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 1,031
edited August 2017 in Crashes
Hi everyone,

We're seeing a number of you mention that your Total War: Warhammer client isn't booting since the release of Norsca.

Please understand that with every new content published, there is high chance that it will break any mod you may have installed.

This requires mod makers to update their mods to be compatible with the newer version. In the short term however it's advisable to please remove all mods from your installation directory.

Firstly please make sure to 'Unsubscribe' from all mods inside Steam Workshop for Total War: Warhammer.

To see your current subscriptions please head here: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198122837359/myworkshopfiles/?appid=364360&browsefilter=mysubscriptions

After this step please 'Verify Integrity Of Game Files' through TW: W properties in Steam>Local Files

Please head here and view your modified.log (use your file explorer/windows explorer) %appdata%\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer\logs

If there are any files listed in the modified.log then you have modified files in your directory. Please delete these files.

Whilst in the appdata folder also delete the following folders entirely.
army_setups
battle_preferences
fx_cache
ui_cache
Scripts

No Mods? General Troubleshooting

• Opt into the most recent patch beta through TW: W properties in Steam

• Boot the game and start a new campaign
  • Opt out of all beta programs
  • Verify Integrity of Game Files
  • Boot the game
Open Steam using Run as Administrator.
From the top menu select Steam>Settings>Downloads>Steam Library Folders.
Select the folder containing the game installation, right-click, and select Repair Library Folder.

Then clear your Steam download cache.

If your client still refuses to boot then it's likely there's another underlying cause. Especially if you've now got no mods installed. Please refer to the SEGA troubleshooter for more detail:

https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/202555892-Game-crashes-won-t-work-launch-a-list-of-solutions#lobotomy

We've also seen a number of reports that Geforce Experience is affecting TW: W from booting, so please also make sure this software isn't installed on your machine.

If your client still refuses to boot after all the steps above. Please attempt a fresh installation, making sure there's nothing left in the 'steamapps/common/Total War Warhammer' folder.
FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
Post edited by CA_Matthew on

Comments

• HGB87HGB87 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 23
    I do not have any mods installed, I also have all the latest drivers according to my system checks. I can play in any beta patch just fine but not with the foundation/norsca update. someone please assist, I spent all day yesterday trying to resolve this. I try to launch my game and click play on the total war launcher but after that all I see is it says running on steam for about 3 seconds...then nothing. it never launchs ive tried verifying cache and uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times...to no avail.
  • adambrayartadambrayart Registered Users Posts: 26
    I have followed these instructions exactly - the modified log is 100% empty now...and the game still crashes (I tried restarting the computer as well, and doing a clean driver install)...

:(
  • SpookyGoatLordSpookyGoatLord Registered Users Posts: 2
    Dont matter never used mods and the game just wont open and i did nothing it was the first time i tried to launch the game afther the update and it opens for a second then it just closes without letting me know anything, and i tried everything
    can someone please help us? ive posted two discussions on it?
  • destoyer100destoyer100 Registered Users Posts: 1
    For some reason my game is making me update it and it always fails to update so i cant even play it was crashing earlier now its making me do an imposible update help
    Talked to Nvidia customer support again and let them remote operate my computer to diagnose the problem - they said this is 100% a problem with the game. They pulled the error event log:

Faulting application name: Warhammer.exe, version: 1.6.0.0, time stamp: 0x598ab4a0
    Faulting module name: nvwgf2umx.dll, version: 23.21.13.8512, time stamp: 0x597a351d
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,223

Talked to Nvidia customer support again and let them remote operate my computer to diagnose the problem - they said this is 100% a problem with the game. They pulled the error event log:

Faulting application name: Warhammer.exe, version: 1.6.0.0, time stamp: 0x598ab4a0
    Faulting module name: nvwgf2umx.dll, version: 23.21.13.8512, time stamp: 0x597a351d

That's interesting. Have you run an internet search on the faulting module nvwgf2umx.dll ? It seems to be involved in several different games crashing. It's probably some sort of conflict that may be solved with a clean install of the Nvidia driver, preferably without Geforce Experience as that is known to cause issues with Warhammer sometimes.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
    I just looked this up online and wasn't aware of that. I have done multiple clean installs of Nvidia driver, both with and without Geforce Experience with no luck.

The Nvidia support guy saw that though, and said he is at a loss as to why CA would think this is an Nvidia issue. He seemed very convinced it was a problem with the game.

Also, the game worked fine after the Nosca install. It was after redeeming the Warriors of Renown through the Total War Access site that things fell apart. I am not a computer expert though so I have no idea if this is causative
    However...I just tried running the game with the DirectX 12 (beta)...and the game now works fine!?!? But why?

Also, although the game now works fine, I now can't get SweetFx to work - it just doesn't run or something. Any idea on what is going on with all of this?
  • CA_MatthewCA_Matthew The Creative Assembly Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 1,031
    edited August 2017
    @HGB87 @adambrayart @SpookyGoatLord

Can you please attach your dxdiags to your posts here so we can take a look?

If one of you could please confirm also that you've tried a clean installation of TW: Warhammer as well. What I mean there is you've uninstalled TW: Warhammer from Steam, there's no appdata folder related to it, and the steamapps/common folder doesn't contain a 'Total War WARHAMMER' folder.

I've also been made aware that mods also can mess around with your scripts folder, so what I think I'll do is update the instructions to the sticky. Essentially what I'd like people to try is to delete the following folders from their Appdata found here:
    %appdata%\The Creative Assembly\

army_setups
    battle_preferences
    fx_cache
    ui_cache
    Scripts

Hopefully then it will boot. Please let me know if this step helps.
    Post edited by CA_Matthew on
    FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • PlainiPlaini Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited August 2017
    So the game was working for me just fine around the time it was released but now after I had bought all dlc's included the pre-order one and tried to launch the game through launcher nothing happens (few times during fiddling around gotten the 0xc00000005 error message) or when trying to launch it straight from the game folder get the "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005).

I have tried first to delete the few mods I had installed and went ahead to delete the files mentioned in this thread and afterwards went with the " lobotomy" method of cleared mentioned files. Also uninstalled the nvidia experience, tried to change language option and restarting and downloading, deselected the steams overlay ui, made sure drivers and windows were up to date , and have uninstalled the game completely and downloaded and installed it back again.
    Between everything mentioned have tried to verify the game data through steam aswell if the game has not working after each "fix" try.

At this point pretty much ran out of any ideas how to make the game work.

EDIT:

Seems that completely uninstalling nvidia drivers and such and reinstalling them fixed them finaly for me or atleast looks like it :D
    Post edited by Plaini on
    hey matthew I actually already covered that with billy. he even said nothing was wrong with my dx diag. I followed the others steps you mentioned and nothing. I did clean install of my drivers also without radeon settinsg (I have AMD gpus) is CA aware of this? will a HOTFIX be released?
    UPDATE:

So I finally figured out a solution. so after uninstalling steam and reinstalling and game still didn't work I figured and try my last resort. Reinsatll windows. Except I had the option of windows reset where I lose all apps but keep my files. took a couple hours to re update and download everything but whatever it did, I'm playing the game no problems now. Not sure if you want to try this @adambrayart. Good luck.
  • CA_MatthewCA_Matthew The Creative Assembly Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 1,031
    I'm glad it finally came right in the end @HGB87 .
  • hymanshiahymanshia Registered Users Posts: 2
    Having the same issues since new patch. The launcher wouldn't start. Fixed it a few times by uninstalling and reinstalling in steam. Since 2 days ago, not even that trick would fix the problem. Hope you guys get it patched when Warhammer 2 releases. I would be utterly dissapointed if I am unable to play the game after buying the pre release. BTW, the issue is not my pc (running i75820k and 2x 980 TIs), it's the new patch.
  • DeukishDeukish Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 12
    Had the launcher problem, but was then fixed the Monday after release (the 14th) and game ran fine. However I haven't played the game for about a week and starting the game up again the problem is back.
  • Chew_ToyChew_Toy Registered Users Posts: 1
    The launcher has just started failing for me after Norsca. As my system chugs through installing beta as I follow the initial post I thought I'd comment from reading the thread.

Geforce Experience. Ok that might be my problem after I've worked through the troubleshoot post since I have it installed... but....

Creative Assembly, Total War series.. to me, pretty big on the gaming front. I may be biased since I have almost every TW title since the first Shogun TW was released way back. NVidia, one of the two best graphics card makers where every gamer will have a Geforce or Radeon. I ALWAYS buy GeForce and NVidia is very supportive of their community. My mind is kind of boggling that you guys are just saying uninstall Gforce experience. That's the "value add" from one of the largest gaming GPU makers in the world, primarily making sure drivers are up to date and adding all their little extras. Most gamers play more than one game (hey my Steam game list is 86 titles), so for one company to say, "hey just uninstall Gforece experience", that seems a bit cheeky to me.

However as a BIG gaming company, why on earth are you not picking up the phone, calling NVidia techies around for a few beers, pulling up a few pews around the table, fire up the BBQ and put some steaks on, then really getting into the nitty gritty of where on earth the conflict is. Its not in either of your interests. I really don't see that CA pointing the finger at GForce Exp, nor Nvidia that its a CA issue.. is good enough. Same industry. Not competing with each other. Communication guys.

Anyway, hopefully the troubleshooting guide will work without uninstalling NVidia GeForce Experience.
  • FrancoisDufrenoyFrancoisDufrenoy Registered Users Posts: 2
    Hi,
    the luncher isn't working for me. I have 1080 nvidia and 5930K...
    when i lunch the game, status is telling : runing 1 second and then synch and retur to steam.

Can you help me? i posted on the steam community.

I have all dlc and purchase TWW2 on pre order.

regards
  • FrancoisDufrenoyFrancoisDufrenoy Registered Users Posts: 2
    Hi,
    i made:
    Whilst in the appdata folder also delete the following folders entirely.
    army_setups
    battle_preferences
    fx_cache
    ui_cache
    Scripts

and now it's working.

I hope it could help you

with regards.

• SteevoSteevo Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, had this problem, which persisted though about 3 reinstalls.

The source turned out to have been a copy of the main data pack. It doesn't matter that it had a new name, I had to delete it. Hope that helps someone
  • YRSONYRSON Registered Users Posts: 18
    edited September 2017
    I dont have any mod and i have done everyting you say but the launch isnt working :C
  • dune_dxdune_dx Registered Users Posts: 2
    Hi

I don't have any mods and have followed the steps above but still no fix :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file