Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Wood Elves in ME campaign

UndeadUndead Registered Users Posts: 44
I am pretty interested how CA gonna change wood elves colony mechanic. It will be totally removed or somehow adapted? What about colony building chains? So, how do you think?

Comments

• Arthas_Menethil#3421Arthas_Menethil#3421 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,351
    Their outposts? It'll probably be staying if one remembers they get faction wide bonus's for buildings in there.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    Undead said:

I am pretty interested how CA gonna change wood elves colony mechanic. It will be totally removed or somehow adapted? What about colony building chains? So, how do you think?

Why should it be changed? Even with the climate mechanic replacing RO, they probably still have the advantage of not getting unsuitable climate penalties since they only erect outposts instead of complete settlements.

Norsca will probably stay the same, too.
  • Goatforce#6625Goatforce#6625 Registered Users Posts: 8,450
    I wonder if Bretonia will get new Errantry wars, or if the system will be scrapped (bit of a tangent but on the topic of some of the more different mechanics such as outposts)

I imagine they will keep outposts though.
  • UndeadUndead Registered Users Posts: 44
    I hate outpost mechanic, it is the reason I didn't finish campaign as wood elves.
  • Arthas_Menethil#3421Arthas_Menethil#3421 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,351
    Undead said:

I hate outpost mechanic, it is the reason I didn't finish campaign as wood elves.

Then play another faction if you dislike their campaign.
    Wood Elves are balanced around their Athel Loren being the only thing that matters and outposts can be quite strong in their buffs if you have enough of them.

If the Dwarfs aren't even going to get a proper rune system or the Empires not going to get something to actually fix their "unique" mechanic then why would CA even bother with Wood Elves?
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• GroomGroom Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 137
    Arthasmenethril said:

If the Dwarfs aren't even going to get a proper rune system or the Empires not going to get something to actually fix their "unique" mechanic then why would CA even bother with Wood Elves?

Et voilà the shock argument !!!

We have not got our candy you not get your candy .
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    edited October 2017
    Wood Elves already got plenty of candy, they don't need more attention. Empire and Chaos Warriors only got vanilla so far, so they deserve to get some sweets first.
    It was fun to play the realm of wood elves, but in big campaign, expanding only using outposts was awful. Hope CA will change, or how I should take Ultuan
    Undead said:

It was fun to play the realm of wood elves, but in big campaign, expanding only using outposts was awful. Hope CA will change, or how I should take Ultuan

Factions stay the same regardless of mini campaigns or shall we ask the same for Beastmen?

What wrong with beastmen? They are fine. Dev added climate zones, for instance, as a dwarf you now can take human settlements, so outposts were understandable in wh1 without climate, but in wh2 it will make them weak compare to other factions
    Undead said:

What wrong with beastmen? They are fine. Dev added climate zones, for instance, as a dwarf you now can take human settlements, so outposts were understandable in wh1 without climate, but in wh2 it will make them weak compare to other factions

Except Climates still nothing to do with Wood Elves they only care about Athel Loren which is shown in Outposts, Athel Loren and their victory conditions it's just you not understanding Wood Elves.

So, I have to sit on my ass, making alliances, and stay on Athel Loren? It's not fun. I want to take Naggarot, I want to take Ulthuan, I want to recolor all map, but you know, wood elves supposed to stay at home and grow a tree. I like their army, I am ok with their amber mechanic, but outposts something which made me feel bad. Only 4 city for wood elves, only 4!
    Undead said:

So, I have to sit on my ass, making alliances, and stay on Athel Loren? It's not fun. I want to take Naggarot, I want to take Ulthuan, I want to recolor all map, but you know, wood elves supposed to stay at home and grow a tree. I like their army, I am ok with their amber mechanic, but outposts something which made me feel bad. Only 4 city for wood elves, only 4!

Welcome to the Wood Elves.

Outposts have their strengths which is balanced by the fact that they are outposts. No other faction is able to commonly build buildings that provide faction wide benefits.

• MorkMork Registered Users Posts: 324
    edited October 2017
    As said, the Wood Elves are tied to Athel Loren. That is the lore . I recommend reading it. It is quite interesting. Therefore the outpost mechanic works fine.
    I hope they do not change it.
    Now, they don't need to. Every faction can build whatever it want wherever it want. If I want I can leave Naggarond and settle in Badlands as Malekith. Or as Lizardmen settle in norcsa cities. As Lizardmen!, who suppose to die in cold, but wood elves sit in their 4 cities, which is not even big for province as far as we have more 10 slot cities with a bunch of smaller in one province. But it is ok, we won't use 10 slot city, we will build 1 small outpost instead of it.
    In the last campaign as wood elves I just sat inside the forest. And waited, while chaos and technology will make their work to increase relationship with other factions, so I could make alliances and build the tree. I fought only with beastmen and orcs. I didn't have to be at war with someone else. Too far from coast for Norsca. Chaos always stopping on the Empire or dwarfs. The most boring play I ever had
    Undead said:

Now, they don't need to. Every faction can build whatever it want wherever it want. If I want I can leave Naggarond and settle in Badlands as Malekith. Or as Lizardmen settle in norcsa cities. As Lizardmen!, who suppose to die in cold, but wood elves sit in their 4 cities, which is not even big for province as far as we have more 10 slot cities with a bunch of smaller in one province. But it is ok, we won't use 10 slot city, we will build 1 small outpost instead of it.
    In the last campaign as wood elves I just sat inside the forest. And waited, while chaos and technology will make their work to increase relationship with other factions, so I could make alliances and build the tree. I fought only with beastmen and orcs. I didn't have to be at war with someone else. Too far from coast for Norsca. Chaos always stopping on the Empire or dwarfs. The most boring play I ever had

So the faction isn't for you then choose another and stop trying to get every faction to play the same.
    You CHOSE to stay in the Athel Loren instead of trying to paint the map or take outposts to increases either trade or the stats of your units factionwide with the Sacrificial Grounds which if you have enough can get your units around the stats of Chaos's elite. (Example being Eternal Guard getting stats around Chosen with Halberds)

• FifthOfSpaghettiFifthOfSpaghetti Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    Do they not have the ability to take faction capitals like Norsca? I’d check but I uninstalled game 1

Do they not have the ability to take faction capitals like Norsca? I’d check but I uninstalled game 1

"There are 9 secret special outposts in the world at the capitals of Erengard, Marienburg, Altdorf, Black Crag, Castle Drakenhof, Couronne, Miragliano, Kislev and Karaz a Karak. Occupying them will allow you to build a hidden outpost which grants +10% factionwide income bonus each and has dragons as garrison! This means that conquering all of them will yield +90% factionwide income bonus and 18 amber which will be pretty secure ( I did mention they have dragons as garrison right?). Go out there and explore!"

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/188532/realm-of-the-wood-elves-tips-and-tricks-from-the-devs-spoilers/p1

• GCRustGCRust Registered Users Posts: 604
    Expanding out as the Wood Elves was difficult at first, but once you secure the flanks of your borders it becomes a bit of a steamroll. Spam Waystones in the northern reaches and the Outposts can withstand stacks of Norsca and Chaos (Though dedicated multi-stack attacks will still get through).
  • TalosXTalosX Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 151
    The outpost system is balanced against the faction-wide benefits they provide. If they remove the outpost system, those faction-wide benefits will need to be removed as well. I've played several WE campaigns, and once you get about 20 outposts with sacrificial grounds, you steamroll everyone! With ME increased number of settlements, it wouldn't even be fun to play anymore.
  • TRexTRex Registered Users Posts: 358
    I like the wood elves because i like to have just one base and defend that. I don't ever expand or anything. So they're perfect for me. Plus female elves of course.
  • Itharus#3127Itharus#3127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,402

"There are 9 secret special outposts in the world at the capitals of Erengard, Marienburg, Altdorf, Black Crag, Castle Drakenhof, Couronne, Miragliano, Kislev and Karaz a Karak. Occupying them will allow you to build a hidden outpost which grants +10% factionwide income bonus each and has dragons as garrison! This means that conquering all of them will yield +90% factionwide income bonus and 18 amber which will be pretty secure ( I did mention they have dragons as garrison right?). Go out there and explore!"

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/188532/realm-of-the-wood-elves-tips-and-tricks-from-the-devs-spoilers/p1
    O M G.

I did not know some of the stuff in that link. That is awesome.
  • lucibuis#6195lucibuis#6195 Registered Users Posts: 7,168

Undead said:

Wood Elves are balanced around their Athel Loren being the only thing that matters and outposts can be quite strong in their buffs if you have enough of them.

What kind of stupid argument???

Anyways, if outposts stay, they need to provide better bonuses considering how harder it will be to defend them
    Ariel only, no fads allowed.

• Woody01Woody01 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 658
    I think keeping it the same as in WH1 is fine.

Building up outpost does not take a lot of time or investment.

They offer faction wide bonuses.

Their are certain capitals you can take that are much easier to defend and offer a nice amber bonus.

Losing one here and there is no big deal.

WE do not suffer from the problems climates cause other factions.

Even without walls they can put up a good defense.

WE can use attrition to help defend certain outpost, while having the option to ignore attrition.

Leaving things as is will except adding more capitals that give the amber bonus and extra units to defend the outpost is fine.
  • GeldorGeldor Registered Users Posts: 1,115
    edited October 2017
    lucibuis said:

Undead said:

Anyways, if outposts stay, they need to provide better bonuses considering how harder it will be to defend them
    They likely get less bonuses per outpost, because if you can stack those like in the old campaign, WE'd become invincible at a certain size. WE were the only race I painted almost the whole WH1 map with my color.

The ports alone you could get in ME ... .

What could be a good compromise is that WE in ME get to more with the few special outpost they have (mentioned above and new ones in ME). Or maybe make the normal outpost T1/T2 that you can build a bit more for fun. But generally I hope they keep the outpost system. That made the WE special. Just in such a long campaign like ME - it would be good if they could do a little bit more with each outpost.
  • TalosXTalosX Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 151
    edited October 2017
    lucibuis said:

This sounds to me like you don't understand how to play WE. You shouldn't care to much about outposts. Losing a few isn't a big deal for them. Even the guides created by the devs tell you this straight out of the gate. The reason being; WE don't invest in their outposts. They don't have to wait dozens of turns for growth to increase their settlement size, or spend thousands of gold on upgrading their infrastructure. Most of the buildings only cost 200-400 gold. Ports don't even cost anything, they're just their after you occupy the settlement.

As for better bonuses, you can get 1% bonus damage to all units per outpost. There are close to 300 settlements in ME. Do the math, increasing that bonus would make the WE extremely OP. It was ridiculously easy for me to paint the map in game 1 after I had just 30 outposts. It was a steamroll after that!
    lucibuis said:

Undead said:

THEY ALREADY PROVIDE THE BEST BONUSES! Considering they can get Eternal guard to the stats of chosen so Stop asking for your precious Wood Elves to be beyond overpowered.