Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The BaronBlack Araby's Roster (Ideas and suggestion are welcome guys!)

baronblackbaronblack Registered Users Posts: 3,218
edited November 2017 in General Discussion
Legendary Lords

Great Sultan Of All Araby [Insert name here, courtesy of CA]

The Wizard Caliph [same as above]

Lords

Caliph (Great Scimitar/Scimitar and Shield/ Heavy Armor, terryfing charge bonus on foot, very slow)

Mounts: Arabyan Steed

Description: Caliph are young aristocrats that enjoy battle in an elegant, but quite brutal manner, they prefer to lead the battlelines with their shiny, glittering heavy armour and Dwarfish-made Scimitars produced in the Panther's Eye mines and forges. They look with pride at their troops and lead by example and sheer courage.
(I always dreamed of a two handed weapon Lords actually, with Kholek being the one that I prefer the most)

Sultan ( Curved Sword/Whip)

Mounts: Slave Palanquin (their standard starting mount, high hitpoints, practically low armor, slow as a turtles)
Armored Camel
War Elephant

Description: Sultans are men of trade and luxuries, not men of war. Nonetheless, if needed, they march to war with their armies. Not the best fighters around the Warhammer World, the Sultans are armed however with the rarest and finest weapons, if not the strangest ones, like golden enriched whips. They use their richies to develop their armies, and make sure that their troops morale is never low, offering vast treasuries and harems as the cruel whip in the same manner.
(I imagined a Lord that is not good at fighting at start, but that buffs the army more, with double size discipline aura and other niches like buffing armor, attack and defense, etc. The Sultan become more of a worrying when he unlocks the War Elephant mount, which gives him high tier melee capabilities)

Heroes

Emir (Bow/Jezzail)
Bow variant can shoot while moving
Jezzails Variant cannot and have even slower recharge time than Imperial/Dwarf Artillery (Can be upgraded by campaign techs)

Mounts: Camel
Armored Camel

Description: Emirs are tough men of The Great Desert, they prefer to fight from the distance and use hit and run tactics from their quite strange mounts. Camels are better than horses, have more vigour and can cover more distances than any other, espacially in the desert. The richest emirs that gained the trust (and prizes) from a Sultan, gain a jezzail, a new weapon. Emirs are not quite used to it and distrust it much, but after testing the weapon against valuable targets on the battlefield, they don't disregards its use like the fellow Arabyans. However, this changed completely their tactics.
(I wanted to represent Arabyan disregard for Gunpowder by giving some disvantages like very long recharge times for Jezzails. Jezzails are a sniping weapon, while the bow gives more mobility, the Jezzail Variant Emir is still dangerous when mounted, as he can move from position to another without so much efforts)

Wizards (Lore of Fire/Lore of Araby/Lore of Metal)

Mounts: Arabyan Steed

Description: Nothing to say about magic, apart that have take it from official Armybooks. Regarding The Araby Lore, I expect CA to develop it better.

Alchemist Summoner (Djinn Summoner)

Mounts: Magic Carpet

Description: Alchemists are the greatest students of arcane magic and lores. Ages ago, the Arabyans found a way to trap daemons and other terrible creatures inside objects of various nature, like lamps and jars. The Alchemists are trying to develop this lost method again, but they can still use the Jars that their ancestors kept into the battlefield to unleash the Djinns (as the Arabyan called these twisted magic lifeforms) by summoning them. Once summoned however, the Jar used to contain it can't be used again, and the Djinn will roam into the enemy ranks until he fades away.

(I wanted to represent Djinns as limited summons because of balance. Also these summons are limited on the by the numbers of Jars that the Alchemist have on his Skill Tree. So if he get leveled up, he can dispatch even 4 types of Djinns for Battle)

Infantry

Arabyan Spearmen
Arabyan Spearmen ( Heavy Armour with Shields)
Arabyan Swordsmen
Arabyan Swordsmen (Heavy Armour with Shields)
Dervishes (Double Swords/ Dance of Blades ability similar to Night Goblin Fanatics/No armour at all)
Arabyan Poleaxemen (anti Infantry/sweeping attacks)
Arabyan Palace Guard (Scimitars)
Arabyan Palace Guard (Halberds)
Eunuch Guard (two handed greatswords/ very low on numbers/Unbreakable)

Skirmishers

Arabyan Javelins
Arabyan Bowmen
Heavy Armour Arabyan Bowmen

Heavy Cavalry

Arabyan "Knights" (Cataphracts/ or Light Armoured? Still anti-infantry tough)

Shock Cavalry

Camel Riders with Spears (Anti-Large)
Armoured Camels with Halberds (Anti-Large/Major Charge Bonus/Better Armour)

Monstrous Cavalry

War Elephant with Tusk Swords (Anti Infantry)

Siege Weapons

War Elephant with Cannon (Ohhhhh yes)
Catapult
Catapult (Scorpion Jars)

Skirmish Cavalry

Arabyan Riders (javelins)
Camel Riders (Bows)
War Elephant with Jezzail

Carpets

Carpet with Eunuchs (Shock Flyers for charges against Infantry)
Carpet Bomber

Any Idea/Suggestion is welcome guys.
This is my roster idea, I hope you enjoy this one.
Post edited by baronblack on

Comments

• EnforestEnforest Registered Users Posts: 2,190
    edited November 2017
    Maybe add Desert Spirits (Djinni) as incorporeal monstrous infantry and arabian handgunners?

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
  • baronblackbaronblack Registered Users Posts: 3,218
    edited November 2017
    Enforest said:

Maybe add Desert Spirits (Djinni) as incorporeal monstrous infantry and arabian handgunners?

I would prefer the Human side Araby more than having them using permanent Djinns. In the official lore they summon them, but its not stated anywhere they recruit them permanently, so for game balance I choose to have them as summon and not as permanent army member.
    Monster Infantry would lack the mobility that Araby is centered around. Only high tier units in my roster lack that aspect because the Sultans in "time of needs" (In WH2: Late Game) give the best armor and weapons they can buy to their troops.
    Also Elephants are their mobile monsters. Elephants are just more numerous than mammoths so Arabyan could field more variants. The only thing I doubt are catapults, but I inserted them here just for seeing what the forum could think of them.

Regarding handgunners: I would not insert them because one of the weakness of Araby is that they do not trust gunpowder and have no way or will to mass produce it.
    Handguns should be a niche like the Jezzail. The armour piercing damage for Araby will only be in melee, just like Brets.
    Post edited by baronblack on
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 8,136
    Don't you need four legendary lords? Golden Magus from Dreadfleet would be a nice choice and one more could be added.

There are some lions in Araby so maybe they could be integrated in the army.

Araby is not as magically charged as other places in Warhammer world so I'm not sure there needs to be a lore specifically for Araby. Djinns are magic of Araby.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• seienchinseienchin Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,572
    I still think Dogs of war with a small araby component is more likely and also more interesting...
    Araby doesnt offer much besides a quick chliche take on arabian nights.
    Crossil said:

Don't you need four legendary lords? Golden Magus from Dreadfleet would be a nice choice and one more could be added.

There are some lions in Araby so maybe they could be integrated in the army.

Araby is not as magically charged as other places in Warhammer world so I'm not sure there needs to be a lore specifically for Araby. Djinns are magic of Araby.

Well yes and no. They have wizards and a "national" lore of magic regarding sand.
    The Order of Metal is mostly made by Arabyan study of Alchemy, so I thought they would have access to Metal.
    Even Fire Lore is stated to be a thing in Araby. I just inserted what can be taken from lore.
    The 4 LLs is just for the next DLC, and for Araby which is like Norsca, two is good.
  • obippoobippo Member Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Looks great. +100000000 for cannons on elephants o:)
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.

• Rebel4ever85Rebel4ever85 Registered Users Posts: 126
    Cataphract - Are the Arabic knights are they not? Not sure but they are pretty neat units. The real life history of them is no less impressive.

The Iranians and Persians pioneered armoured cavalry and the Seleucids were the first western, Hellenised power to see their merit for battle. Antiochus III, 223-187BC, used cataphracts to great effect at Panium in 200BC. His Egyptian enemies, led by Skopas of Aetolia, placed cavalry on the army's flanks to shield the infantry in the centre. A single charge from Antiochus’ cataphracts entirely scattered the Egyptian horse, exposing the Egyptian infantry's flanks and rear. They were unable to defend themselves against the next mighty charge; the entire Egyptian army broke, and Skopas fled to Sidon. This retreat marked the end of Ptolemaic rule in Judea.

However I don't know if they were just renamed as knights...so feel free to educate me :smile:

Cataphract - Are the Arabic knights are they not? Not sure but they are pretty neat units. The real life history of them is no less impressive.

The Iranians and Persians pioneered armoured cavalry and the Seleucids were the first western, Hellenised power to see their merit for battle. Antiochus III, 223-187BC, used cataphracts to great effect at Panium in 200BC. His Egyptian enemies, led by Skopas of Aetolia, placed cavalry on the army's flanks to shield the infantry in the centre. A single charge from Antiochus’ cataphracts entirely scattered the Egyptian horse, exposing the Egyptian infantry's flanks and rear. They were unable to defend themselves against the next mighty charge; the entire Egyptian army broke, and Skopas fled to Sidon. This retreat marked the end of Ptolemaic rule in Judea.

However I don't know if they were just renamed as knights...so feel free to educate me :smile:
    They are more like Ellyrion Reavers. The horse is not armoured at all. Armoured Camels are just as you described.
  • AngmirAngmir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    edited November 2017
    There should be Cataphracts as super heavy anti-infantry cavalery in addition to "Arabian Knights".

Arabian Knights should be something along Mamluk cavalery os Sipahi Lancers. - way faster than Catapthracts - suitable for hit and run.

And Cataphracts like from Partia/East Rome. Extreame armour, and staying power, but very very very slow. Basicly for single charge only. (but give them huge charge bonus as they wont be able to cycle charge.)
  • AngmirAngmir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,253

They are more like Ellyrion Reavers. The horse is not armoured at all. Armoured Camels are just as you described.
    Then make 1 Horse Cataphracts for anti-infantry, and Camel Cataphracts for anti-cav.
    Angmir said:

There should be Cataphracts as super heavy anti-infantry cavalery in addition to "Arabian Knights".

Arabian Knights should be something along Mamluk cavalery os Sipahi Lancers.

And Cataphracts like from Partia/East Rome.

There are but on Camels.
    Araby has a lot of Anti-Large because its main enemies use lot of mosters (TK) and horses (Brets)
    Arabyan has poor cavalry because Camels are just better.
    However, the Knights on horse are fast and should be used to eliminate key targets.
    Angmir said:

Then make 1 Horse Cataphracts for anti-infantry, and Camel Cataphracts for anti-cav.
    I will modify it. But too much armour for a fantasy faction that put cannons on elephants for the sake of mobility is a bit... strange. But well is Fantasy.
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Wtf is with this weird obbssesion with Araby? No lore, no official army books, no nothing. Before kiskev or southern realms? Really? Loll whatever floats your boat. Copy and paste attila Persian faction in WH? Ok I guess. I never read ANY lore about Araby and I've been reading WH a long time. there's a bit of main lore but no books and nothing fleshed out. Why do people want it? Im curious im not bashing anything. Political? National pride? Its not a love for the faction cuz there's not eenough lore for that. So peeps, why the obbssesion? :)
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 8,097
    First, there's stuff from Warmaster. It's not WFB, technically, but it gives an outline of what they have.

Second, there needs to be SOMETHING there. Currently, there are Bretonnian crusader states, but that's a very clear case of filler: an Arabyan army should not fight in the same way a Bretonnian or Empire army does. (Tilean, Estalian, and Kislevite armies are much closer to the Empire militarily than Araby is to either).

Third, there have been hints dropped. Inconclusive ones, but hints nonetheless.

Wtf is with this weird obbssesion with Araby? No lore, no official army books, no nothing. Before kiskev or southern realms? Really? Loll whatever floats your boat. Copy and paste attila Persian faction in WH? Ok I guess. I never read ANY lore about Araby and I've been reading WH a long time. there's a bit of main lore but no books and nothing fleshed out. Why do people want it? Im curious im not bashing anything. Political? National pride? Its not a love for the faction cuz there's not eenough lore for that. So peeps, why the obbssesion? :)

Because GW was already trying to explore Araby with Warmaster, but they put on hold every project (like a new armybook for Brets) because of the End Times, the final nail in WHFB coffer.
    Like Norsca there are lot of lores lines regarding Araby in official armybooks, Warmaster list, even novels.

TT players most desired factions were a new Kislev modeled from its Warmaster list and Araby, after all.

Because GW was already trying to explore Araby with Warmaster, but they put on hold every project (like a new armybook for Brets) because of the End Times, the final nail in WHFB coffer.
    Like Norsca there are lot of lores lines regarding Araby in official armybooks, Warmaster list, even novels.

TT players most desired factions were a new Kislev modeled from its Warmaster list and Araby, after all.
    Yes I get this, but I guess I just feel **** not getting Kislev and my bear cav (not official but still) but getting Araby. I mean ill still play Araby no doubt. I just hope this isn't OH WE GAVE U ARABY WE CAN'T DO THE OTHER HUMAN MINORS so I continue to see southern realms and kiskev with **** cloned empire generals and swordsmen spearmen and **** "empire knights" whatever the **** that means. I still don't know. Empire knights mean nothing, the empire has different knightly orders. But yes, I guess im to demanding. Empire clones we must have. We must have. To much money Nd time to spend fleshing out those dog nab human factions now, little consumer! We know best! *chaos invasion cough cough* :)
  • TubbsdekaTubbsdeka Registered Users Posts: 146
    This would be so cool..

Yes I get this, but I guess I just feel **** not getting Kislev and my bear cav (not official but still) but getting Araby. I mean ill still play Araby no doubt. I just hope this isn't OH WE GAVE U ARABY WE CAN'T DO THE OTHER HUMAN MINORS so I continue to see southern realms and kiskev with **** cloned empire generals and swordsmen spearmen and **** "empire knights" whatever the **** that means. I still don't know. Empire knights mean nothing, the empire has different knightly orders. But yes, I guess im to demanding. Empire clones we must have. We must have. To much money Nd time to spend fleshing out those dog nab human factions now, little consumer! We know best! *chaos invasion cough cough* :)
    Pls calm down. Kislev is heavily suspected to be a core or pre-order for game 3. The focus is game 2 right now, so Araby and DoW have the precedence on Kislev.
    You are a bit too rude in expressing concerns.

Pls calm down. Kislev is heavily suspected to be a core or pre-order for game 3. The focus is game 2 right now, so Araby and DoW have the precedence on Kislev.
    Life is rude. This is a thing we all must deal with...and you must deal with how I express things, kind sir. I am sorry if I offended you, baron of Araby.

Life is rude. This is a thing we all must deal with...and you must deal with how I express things, kind sir. I am sorry if I offended you, baron of Araby.
    Not offended my boy, but there are kids reading around here. I don't want all those Brets starting a crusade after you :D
  • Lord_HenkusLord_Henkus Registered Users Posts: 1,583
    How about not adding Araby and call it a day
    How negative I may sound, game is stil 11 out of 10

Also, please slow down combat!

Not offended my boy, but there are kids reading around here. I don't want all those Brets starting a crusade after you :D
    Lmaooo yeah ur right i was kidding anyway but I am excited to see Araby. At least we have a minor faction coming

Lmaooo yeah ur right i was kidding anyway but I am excited to see Araby. At least we have a minor faction coming
    Writing Kislev roster in this moment.
  • HazardMaksHazardMaks Registered Users Posts: 154

Because Araby is in game 2? And we're talking about Warhammer II currently. Don't look at "Mortal Empires'' and then point out "Oh, see, Kislev is right there. DLC for Kislev should come first!"

The Combined Campaigns will NOT have DLC's specifically dedicated to them, since there are still people who bought 1 of the Warhammer games and not the other. It is not a wise marketing strategy anyway..

So, back to WARHAMMER II, the main focus (and main campaign) is called The Vortex.

Now look at THE VORTEX MAP, do you see any Kislev? No? I thought so.
    What do you see? Land of the Dead. Araby. Albion. New World Colonies. (Which are designated as "Southern Realms" in game).

So, what do we expect as DLC? Tomb Kings for sure, in fact will be revealed in just a few weeks.

Then, what do we have left? New World Colonies. Albion. Araby.
    Aside from the LORD PACKS, which will add upon the current 4 core races, there will probably be 3 DLC/FLC races added to game 2.

Why? Because it was successful in Warhammer 1. And Norsca, the unexpected minor race, was the most successful out of the 4. (WE, Beastmen, Bret, Norsca). They were exotic, because they were new and CA had the pleasure of bringing new things to the Warhammer World. People liked it.

Before anyone mentions The Vampire Coast. It is not happening. Not as a DLC for Warhammer 2 at least. The Vampires were a CORE race of game 1, and in no way will they have an expansion in game 2. Perhaps Game 1 will have new DLCs, considering that CA is making DLC for older historical titles, it is not that much of a long shot now. Then again, the Vampire Coast is not in Warhammer 1's Old World map..

But, TEB? They will be in. Because the New World Colonies are in. And in fact, the DLC could be called "The Dogs of War" or "The Southern Realms". In the base Vortex map, they will have only 2 positions, Sartosa, and Port Reaver.
    In the ME, they will have Tilea and Estalia as well.

tl;dr: What races can game 2 have as DLC? Dogs of War, Tomb Kings (duh), and Araby. Far fetched = Amazons, Albion. Never = Vampire Coast (maybe FLC for MORTAL EMPIRES ONLY, CA won't let game 2 owners play a version of game 1's main faction - The Vampire Counts).
  • SherShahSuriSherShahSuri Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,109
    Looks/Sounds really awesome OP! I hope CA will adopt this or something similar. Good job!

Writing Kislev roster in this moment.
    Woo!!
  • SherShahSuriSherShahSuri Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,109

Because it's unique, it's different. You have Empire, you have Brettonia... they are unique civilizations. It would be absolutely boring to have another Empire or Brettonia sub-faction.. because its EXACTLY the same. Araby-Kislev are unique. I personally dont care about the lore for Araby in this world, but I know this is a CA Game, which means I can change the "lore" or history (if this was a real world game) to my liking.

Once again, Games Workship may have completely blanked out the East, but many of us here are hoping CA don't (because they haven't previously).
  • SultschiemSultschiem Registered Users Posts: 2,461
    A few things:

1. You give them way too many powerfull tools, which would make them overall superior to any other human factions and less weaknesses than others.

3. Araby is focussed on their Cavalry and ESPECIALLY their light cavalry. They do have heavy cavalry, but those are not as effective as the Empire`s or Bretonnias.

Especially Heavy Armored Camels with HALBERDS is WAAAAY too op and would make their cav super powerfull on top of their way too many options in infantry.

I recommend you scale down their infantry but remain what is unique, namely: Light Spearmen, Heavy Spearmen. Medium armored Halberds, Light armored Sword Infantry (Dervishes seem cool and could be similar to wardancers/berserkers) and an Medium/Heavy Armored Shielded Sword Infantry.

But no Greatsword infantry.

That would make them quite Special.

As for their Cavalry: You have a good approach: Horses are anti Infantry, Camels are Anti-Large.

Light and Heavy Versions, but you should not add armorpiercing, at least not for anti-large heavy cav. That would make their cav super dominant against other factions. Keep in mind that Araby lost the cav fights vs the Empire, Tilea and Bretonnia, so they should NOT be too dominant there.

That should be your Elephants job.

Skirmishers: Desert-Factions are known for decent Desert-Archers, that ofc. should be incorporated.
    A medium armored version seems like a fine idea too.

You may want to consider archers with poison too . Like Desert Bandit Archers that also have stalk.

Javelins..... I don`t see the point for them in the infantry, here as they are Norsca`s thing because they dont have any archers. Araby has.

What I would recommend: Naft-Throwers. A unit that throws Burning Oil. Similar to the Death Wind Globardiers, but anti-infantry, fire damage ofc. and the "Burning"-debuff that gives - leadership like the burning head spell.

Mounted Skirmishers:

Horse Archers Should be enough. Super fast and quite nice. There could be a medium armored version too

But there is a nice Unit from Warmaster that shows a character with a long sniper rifle on top of a camel...that could be a nice option for armorpiercing.

Elephants:

Thats where you can get one of the major armorpiercing from

Unarmored , Armored, and one with a cannon should be up in the mix.

Artillery:

Onagers, a basic version and one with Naft-Pots (firedamage). Potential even a Large Onager as an upgrade.
    Basic Cannon

Keep in mind, that Araby isnt far with Gunpowder, so higher artillery should not be in there.

Bestial Infantry and the actual armor-piercing ones on the ground :

Djinns. Compare them to Fimir/Kroxigors with low numbers but high damage. Could also just be single ones comparable to a varghulf, not armored, high physical resistance, vulnerable to magic damage.

There could also be 2 tiers: a group of small djinns and one bigger one.

That could give them something similar to ethereal units. They may not state that they recruit them permanently, but common....it would be cool.

Flyers: Carpets
    Different Versions , would see them more as skirmishing unit than melee.