Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Movie Discussion & Recommendations

167891012»

Comments

• IstvanIstvan Senior Member London, CanadaPosts: 1,233Registered Users
    I remember seeing Napoleon Dynamite in high school during a class. I didn't get it, but apparently it was so funny that student council reps would quote it literally every morning on the announcements.

I saw Get Out! recently and thought it was great. I don't care for the scary genre normally, but that movie was funny and good social commentary all at once.
    Battle not with Canadians, lest ye become a Canadian, and if ye gaze into the maple syrup, the maple syrup gazes also into you.
  • CogreCogre Senior Member Posts: 2,170Registered Users
    Saw ghost in the Shell, and thought "ah, the remade the 1995 anime movie again "
    KRYTEN: I'm some kind of robot who's fighting this virus, and none of
    this exists, it's all in a fever, except for you guys, who really do
    exist, only you're not really here, you're really on some space ship in
    the future. Hell, if that's got to make sense I don't want to be
    sober!
  • Ace_BlazerAce_Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaPosts: 5,918Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    Never got Napoleon Dynamite. Maybe there's just something in the absurdity that hit home for a lot of awkward teenagers. The image of a dorky high school kid in high waisted basketball shorts seems to give people the chuckles.

Perhaps it's the same deal with The Big Lebowski. At the outset it's a movie about nothing where you don't know what the hell is going on. On second viewing it's a quotable masterpiece.

Just saw Blade Runner 2049. For me I feel like the original had such an effect on Hollywood that most sci-fi movies pretty much draw from it, from the big booming soundtracks to the shots of epic colossal structures; reminding me of more recent movies such as Interstellar or Inception or even sci-fi video games. Of course this is in conjunction with other classics such as 2001: A Space Odyssey.

While watching, all I could think about was how so many of the elements in this movie are cornerstones of popular sci-fi films today.

Obviously it's not going to be an groundbreaking auteur movie like the original, but I was still very much sucked into the movie, and the film noir aspects are very artfully done. With regards to the original, here's one thing someone said that I thought summed it up: "I thought this movie was stark, beautiful, epic, visually stunning, amazing, intricate, and boring...it's a sci-fi detective noir, but there isn't much detective work."

A good recommend for fans of the original or movie making fans. Did not appreciate the blatant Sony & Peugeot product placement however.

Also got to Thor: Ragnarok. Yet again another Marvel hit! It's amazing how they somehow keep reinventing their blockbusters with new creative ways, and yet it doesn't feel like a change. Marvel is having their cake and eating it too; seemingly stealing talent away from all the other franchises. Consistent winners, and hilarious character writing. Tessa Thompson and Anthony Hopkins reappearing together after Westworld is a nice treat. Haven't seen Tessa as an actress since Veronia Mars, and is a total scene stealer. I think we'll be seeing her in a lot more movies soon.

Edit: Really chipping at my movie list this weekend! Got to Get Out and it was great. It's the whole Stepford Wives / Gone Girl social commentary thriller, except instead of basing on gender and suburbian culture, it goes for race. A nice twist on the thriller trope that is just chock full of symbolism and detail. An excellent little movie.
    Post edited by Ace_Blazer on
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions.
    Buttons the Kitten needs your help. Click here to save a kitten today.
    Hey ace can you please pm me or post your list.
    sober!
  • Ace_BlazerAce_Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaPosts: 5,918Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    Oh man where do I start?

Just on Netflix I have the following:
    Murdoch Mysteries (latest season)
    Archer (latest season)
    Stranger Things
    Frontier
    Narcos
    Planet Earth
    Roman Empire Reign of Blood
    Sherlock
    Ozark
    The Siege of Jadotville (movie about Irish peacekeepers against Belgian mercenaries)
    Master of None
    Scandal
    The Crown
    Dave Chappelle
    Turn, Washington's Spies
    Catch Me If You Can
    Big Trouble in Little China
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    1989 Our Last Men in the Phillippines
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
    Good Will Hunting
    12 Years A Slave
    Luther
    Broadchurch
    Army of Darkness
    The Prestige
    Beasts of No Nation
    Making a Murderer
    Iceman
    Ip Man 3
    Five Came Back
    Life is Beautiful
    Inside Llewyn Davis
    Sicario
    Valley Uprising
    180 South
    The Road
    Peaky Blinders
    Children of Men
    Star Wars The Clone Wars

For non-Netflix stuff, I've got these lined up.

Movies:
    All the Man of Steel movies, Batman vs Superman to prep for Justice League
    Seven Samurai (and any Akira Kurosawa really)
    The Godfather Parts 2 & 3
    Fall of the Roman Empire
    The Magnificent Seven
    Rocknrolla
    Hidden Figures
    Arrival
    4 Lions
    Selma
    Whiplash
    American Hustle
    The Foreigner
    John Wick
    Atomic Blonde (looks like Baby Driver)
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Goodfellas
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    The Pianist
    Gran Torino
    The Deer Hunter
    Fargo
    La La Land
    Life of Brian
    Mad Max (original), only watched middle portions on TV
    War for the Planet of the Apes
    Spectre
    Battleship Potemkin
    The Manchurian Candidate
    All the Star Trek movies before Nemesis (I know!)
    3:10 to Yuma
    Mission Impossible
    When Harry Met Sally

TV Shows:
    Mr Robot (this is next)
    Silicon Valley
    The Wire (HBO)
    Continuum
    Coppers
    Catch up on South Park
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    30 Rock
    Bojack Horseman

I don't even want to get into the books I've got piling up.
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    edited November 2017
    Seeing the breadth of the list I wrote, I got to work on a couple:

Don't bother with Assassin's Creed. Pretty forgettable, and no story to speak of.

However, if you're in the mood, there's "Waltz With Bashir". Israeli soldiers soul search about the 1982 Lebanon War and the massacres that occurred under their watch while cartoon renditions play over. Very artful; very chilling.
    edited November 2017
    I heard Murdoch Mysteries was supposed to be good, so I watched episode one of season 7 (Netflix doesn't seem to have older seasons anymore), but I found it disappointing. It was like a low budget Sherlock that wasn't overly interesting. I'd give it another go if I could get access to the first season.

I saw a bunch of your Netflix movies over the summer. Good Will Hunting and 12 Years a Slave were good, particularly the latter.

Not mentioned on your list that I also notably remember from the summer were Gangs of New York and There Will Be Blood. If you haven't seen them, Gangs of New York is a flawed movie, but it is interesting by virtue of being a historical epic. There Will Be Blood is once of those bizarre and boring but masterful art pieces. It isn't really a historical epic, but it still depicts a stark image of the soul of the 19th century American nation - and it ain't pretty.

Battle not with Canadians, lest ye become a Canadian, and if ye gaze into the maple syrup, the maple syrup gazes also into you.
    Cheers ace, I love checking others lists to find new content
    sober!
    edited November 2017
    No problem Cogre!

Do you guys happen to keep a list?

Murdoch Mysteries is very much your standard procedural where the novelty is its setting. To me the low budget CBC production is endearing, and I don't watch many procedurals so it's alright to me. Funny enough he does meet Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in the show, and it's those interactions with all the historical figures from that time that make me giggle. The 1st season should be available on the CBC streaming website if you care to give it a shot.

I've seen both of those movies. Gangs of New York is on TV a lot, but it's a strange one to me as it sticks out as part of this category of being in an uncanny valley of over-the-top fake feeling films. Moulin Rouge was in the Oscars the same year as a reference point. It's impressive in scope, but seems to lose focus throughout. I also think Daniel Day Lewis was phenomenal but Leonardo DiCaprio and Cameron Diaz brought it down quite a bit. I'm just not fans of those two in terms of acting.

There Will Be Blood is similar. I finish feeling very unsatisfied and lost about what I just saw. Like I literally was just a fly on the wall through this mans life. I remember No Country For Old Men came out around the same time and the two competed for Oscars, but somehow the aimlessness in that movie was a lot more appealing and exciting to me for some reason. I haven't seen either in years, so these may deserve a re-watch.
    edited November 2017
    I think There Will Be Blood is a bit boring for a rewatch, but I do remember the film striking me in ways most films don't. When oil begins flowing from a derrick, that impressive force as it burst from the ground and flew into the sky - I just remember sitting and thinking that this is what is great about a movies. It's hard to capture that force in another medium.

Another thing that stuck with me was its portrayal of human beings. I think that it does a fine job of exploring the soul of a man who lives for himself. In a way, it desecrates the American idealism of the rugged, entrepreneurial individual.

I agree with your comment on the acting in Gangs of New York. I don't think Leonardo diCaprio has done much worked that I'm impressed by, to be honest. Smashing his hand on a glass cup and being mauled by a CGI bear were pretty cool, but he's no Daniel Day Lewis... that man manages to impress me every time.

I'll definitely give Murdoch Mysteries another shot if I can find it on CBC. I'm curious to see Stephen Harper on the show lol
    edited November 2017
    My list is looking at everyone else's list.

I remember loving the beginning of gangs of new York but then I woke up as the credits ran.

Currently I am a huge fan of Tom hardy .

Highly recommend: peaky blinders (although he's only in a couple of episodes ), rocknrolla, taboo. Bronson.

When he's on screen he elevates the production
    sober!
    I don't know how true it is, but I thought Gangs of New York was interesting for its portrayal of the Irish and their role in 19th century America. Their use in the American Civil War by the Union might have been exaggerated, but it was an interesting piece of the bigger picture of 19th century America - namely its relationship with its immigrants.
    Just watched the 5th season of samurai jack. They finally tie up the show. Not as good as the first 4 but well done. Kinda like the Muppets movie.

And atomic blonde, rather fun,and that soundtrack sent me right back to high school
    sober!
  • Half_Life_ExpertHalf_Life_Expert Senior Member Oak Park, CA , USAPosts: 4,686Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    I saw two films in the last 24 hours in theatres.

The first was Murder on the Orient Express. I haven't read the book or seen any adaptation of it, so the only things I knew walking into this was that the book was written by Agatha Christie and that it involved a murder on a train in the 1930s.

I really enjoyed the film, thought the cast did a great job. It's a great story, with a definite surprise ending, and I think it's going to get a nomination for costumes.

Secondly, I just got home from seeing Darkest Hour. I absolutely loved it.

It basically covers Winston Churchill's time as prime minister from the day before becoming PM on May 9th 1940, through the famous "we shall fight on the beaches" speech on June 4th 1940.

It examines the political situation leading to his appointment as PM, having to deal with the losing battle in France, the crisis of the Allied troops trapped at Calais and Dunkirk, and efforts by members of the British Government such as Lord Halifax to convince Churchill to negotiate with Germany.

The cast was great. Gary Oldman does an amazing job as Churchill. The academy should save themselves some time and just give him an Oscar now.

The casting choices for King George VI (Ben Mendelsohn) and Neville Chamberlain (Ronald Pickup) were also excellent.

There is also a scene where Churchill speaks on the phone with FDR. You only hear the president's voice, but I cannot yet find who did the voice of Roosevelt, but I must know as he does a great job!

I would easily recommend both films, Darkest Hour in particular.
    "we have officially entered into pre-whinning about our games."- Cogre

I will always respect differing opinions on here, so long as they are presented maturely and in a civil manner

"No Battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy"- Helmuth Von Moltke the Elder

The WWI Thread: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/30914/why-a-world-war-i-themed-total-war/p1

I'm skipping TW: Warhammer
    edited December 2017
    Definitely gonna try to get to Darkest Hour next. For some reason besides Star Wars, the November/December movie season has passed me by, and there looks to be a lot of great movies out in recent weeks.

So with 2017 drawing to a close, what would you say your movie of the year was? Despite having the majority of my attention drawn to the world of TV with Game of Thrones and Westworld, 2017 was seriously a great year for movies.

My movie of the year would have to be Blade Runner 2049, with runner up going to Baby Driver. Baby Driver impressed me immediately with technical execution that will surely win an Oscar for editing, but Blade Runner grew on me more and more every time I thought about it. The movie had such a unique vibe, and I still can't shake the feeling I felt of complete immersion while I was in that theatre. Jacques Villeneuve really did a great job building on the scope of the original, and I'm not even that big a fan of the original.