Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Lore Question: Does the Old World know about the New World?

RuskRusk Registered Users Posts: 45
edited November 2017 in General Discussion
Or is the New World undiscovered like America in real world? If it is discovered then what timeline are we talking about and does Vortex Campaign and WH1 campaign happening at the same time.

My knowledge about Warhammer lore are 4/10 so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,464
    edited November 2017
    http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Pirazzo's_Lost_Legion

to make it short: Both Lustria as well as Araby and the Southlands are known to the old world but not too mcuh explored
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Registered Users Posts: 3,386
    The New World was discovered by, I kid you not, Marco Colombo in the year 1492 of the Imperial Calendar (GW not really exerting themselves there).
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

• RuskRusk Registered Users Posts: 45

to make it short: Both Lustria as well as Araby and the Southlands are known to the old world but not too mcuh explored

this is where i get frustrated because i heard somewhere that Elves were trading with the Old World and Dwarfs fought with elves.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,464
    Rusk said:

this is where i get frustrated because i heard somewhere that Elves were trading with the Old World and Dwarfs fought with elves.
    that had been over 2500 years before the main setting of warhammer. At that time, the Empire and Bretonnia hadn't even been founded
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!

Rusk said:

that had been over 2500 years before the main setting of warhammer. At that time, the Empire and Bretonnia hadn't even been founded
    oohhh ok, now it make sense

so would you say that WH1 factions should have very limited contact with the New World?
    Rusk said:

Rusk said:

so would you say that WH1 factions should have very limited contact with the New World?
    non in TW WH

• Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Registered Users Posts: 3,386
    Rusk said:

Rusk said:

No, since the current setting is over 1,000 years after Not-Christopher Columbus discovered Not-America. There have been a number of expeditions and colonies since then.
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

Rusk said:

Rusk said:

non in TW WH
    ok thank you
  • TherenTheren Registered Users Posts: 296
    edited November 2017
    Norscans know about Naggarond becouse they fighting with them sometimes. They also know about Lustria and have a settlement there. They also raid Ulthuan multiple times.
    The southern realms are know about Lustria, they probably don't know about Naggarond, but they know dark elves exist. Also merchants from there saild to the east, Cathay, Nippon, and the Kingdoms of Ind. They even have some form of trade with them, but usualy with the intermediation/contribution of Araby, Ogre Kingdoms, Lizardmen of the south, or high elves.
    Araby know about the east, they are traiding with them, and they have access to the southern roads becouse the lizardmen let them go.
    The empire sometimes trade with the east, but it is a rare thing. They has no ambition for colonization, or exploration. They probably don't even know the difference between high and dark elves. Becouse elves don't talk about it. Kislev is the same.
    High elves, don't let anybody to their island, or to Naggarond. Even if a ship go through, the dark elves are 'merciless hosts'.
    In the lore most of the factions have a colony in Lustria, even brettonnian knights went there for adventures. People of the old world cant distinguish Lizardmen, Skaven and Beastmen from each other. They apply this turn for any human-animal hybrid, most of the imperial provinces, and bretonnian dukedoms kill malformed people becouse they think this is the touch of chaos. A lizardlike beastmen is nothing but defeatably enemy.
    Of course High elves could tell the difference... but I guess it is an other thing what make their reputation worse.
    Post edited by Theren on
  • Wargol5Wargol5 Registered Users Posts: 1,297
    Theren said:

High elves, don't let anybody to their island, or to Naggarond. Even if a ship go through, the dark elves are 'merciless hosts'.

High elves let some merchants doing their business in Ulthuan.
  • BaronKlatzBaronKlatz Registered Users Posts: 1,037
    Yeah but only in a very restricted and watched over port.

Also Brets are known to travel to Lustria in a chance to slay the "dragons" over there.
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 3,120
    edited November 2017
    Yes the old world and new world are aware of each others existence.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 7,035
    Theren said:

Araby know about the east, they are traiding with them, and they have access to the southern roads becouse the lizardmen let them go.

A common misconception, but the wiki is wrong (I have the primary source that the wiki refers to). Ibn neither secured a trade agreement with the Lizardmen nor did he secure access to cross Lizardmen territory for Arabyan merchants. He did walk away with enough wealth to substantially expand the Arabyan fleet, but that was all.
  • SkywagonSkywagon Registered Users Posts: 11
    Yes, they know about them. In fact it's the ancient war between the dwarves and the elves that pretty much lead to the founding of the Empire some 2.5 thousand years ago - Elves and Dwarves were great allies back in the day and life was, generally, good and there were plenty of elven colonies in the old world.

Then Malekith instigated the war between Elves and Dwarves which lasted centuries and left both races devastated. At the apex of the war Malekith sprung a massive surprise attack on Ulthuan, which caused the elves to pull out of the old world and abandon their cities there (Bretonians actually live in a number of old elven cities nowadays which they moved in to - which is why the architecture is kinda similar, you know, tall white towers and all).

Dwarves likewise largely retreated to their Karaks to lick their wounds, which made the Old World suddenly a much more dangerous place to be - with the massive elven and dwarven presence gone, the beastment, orks and chaos shenanigans were pretty much free to roam and do as they wish with minimal opposition. This meant the humans had little choice but to band together and form a proper nation instead of the many tribes they had been living in before, because there were no more elves and dwarves to keep all the nastiness at bay.

That's ancient history though, but yeah - the humans are quite aware of the New World, at least in broad strokes. In present day the elves have actually re-established a little bit of presence in the old world at the behest of the current phoenix king. There is actually an elven quarter in Marienburg in present day. Back on Ulthuan, traders from around the world are allowed to dock and do business in Lothern.

Much more importantly - Teclis is actually the one who taught humans how to use magic and established Altdorf's colleges of magic only a couple of hundred years ago in order to help them in the ongoing fight against the chaos. And the dark elves do commit occasional raids on the old world, though that's more of a problem for Estalia/Tilea than the Empire.

So ... yes. The humans are very much aware of the new world, at least in very broad terms. The specifics might be dim and they hardly stick their noses in there much, but as a whole it's not an unknown by any means.