Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Warhammer orcs are a little bit goofy

Comments

• SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,315
    Zergles said:

"Walk up im the club like what up, I got a big WAAAAGGGGHHHHH!"

-Macklemore Ironhide.

lol thats pretty funny
  • MasariusMasarius Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,176
    Till shade is gone,
    till water is gone,
    into the Shadow with the teeth bared,
    screaming defiance with the last breath,
    to spit into Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day
  • robdougherty1984robdougherty1984 Registered Users Posts: 285
    I mean it's Warhammer, it's all a little bit goofy whilst also being far more aggressive than regular fantasy. I think it's awesome tbh, if they'd taken away the cockney accents and randomness it wouldn't have felt like Warhammer to me. It'd be cool if they made a LotR Total War though for a more serious/realistic fantasy setting, Warhammer should maintain it's Warhammer wackiness though.
  • MarcerorMarceror Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 540
    Those zany, mad-capped, goofy-arse Orcs are up to their ole tricks!

>:)

This is not a troll post. Sometimes I make humorous posts. These forums desperately need a bit of humor to contrast all of the angst. Moderators, please do not ban me for making an innocent, humorous post every now and again.
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Registered Users Posts: 2,009

I mean it's Warhammer, it's all a little bit goofy whilst also being far more aggressive than regular fantasy. I think it's awesome tbh, if they'd taken away the cockney accents and randomness it wouldn't have felt like Warhammer to me. It'd be cool if they made a LotR Total War though for a more serious/realistic fantasy setting, Warhammer should maintain it's Warhammer wackiness though.

LOTR Orcs are tons more dark and realistic, (and uglier) but I don't take them serious. Were they not a mockery of elves? And they do mock themselves. And even LOTR games today delve into a lot of the humorous side of the orcs. And in my opinion LOTR's orcs are wayyy funnier. Almost relatable sometimes, while warhammer orces just amount to screaming pigs most of the time. (all of the time :lol: ) Although warhammer orcs can be more intimated because of their bulky mass and screaming. I think goofy is the wrong word. I think Empire flappy hats and the entirety of the high elves took up goofy. :smile:
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    KGpoopy said:

LOTR Orcs are tons more dark and realistic, (and uglier) but I don't take them serious. Were they not a mockery of elves? And they do mock themselves. And even LOTR games today delve into a lot of the humorous side of the orcs. And in my opinion LOTR's orcs are wayyy funnier. Almost relatable sometimes, while warhammer orces just amount to screaming pigs most of the time. (all of the time :lol: ) Although warhammer orcs can be more intimated because of their bulky mass and screaming. I think goofy is the wrong word. I think Empire flappy hats and the entirety of the high elves took up goofy. :smile:
    LOTR Orcs "realistic"? They're such a cartoony depiction of the evil "other", spitefully malevolent, butt-ugly, constantly miserable slobs which are just so pathetic they can only win by sheer weight of numbers it's groan inducing. They're just there for the sparkly, square-jawed good guys to mercilessly cut down in masses and not feel bad about it. Tolkien totally dropped the ball when it came to them and he himself even knew he did.

WH Greenskins are better because they at least enjoy themselves and what they do.
  • julius_civilisjulius_civilis Registered Users Posts: 365

LOTR Orcs "realistic"? They're such a cartoony depiction of the evil "other", spitefully malevolent, butt-ugly, constantly miserable slobs which are just so pathetic they can only win by sheer weight of numbers it's groan inducing. They're just there for the sparkly, square-jawed good guys to mercilessly cut down in masses and not feel bad about it. Tolkien totally dropped the ball when it came to them and he himself even knew he did.

WH Greenskins are better because they at least enjoy themselves and what they do.

Now you are going too far my friend, the orcs in lotr are what defined almost every fantasy world who have orcs in them.
    They aren't some dull evil faction because heck he needed an evil faction **** no they are a very detailed race in lotr with tons of character to say they're just there for the good guys is one step to far.
    To me lotr is mainly good because of the orcs and evil characters they are extremely well done and speak to the imagination in both film and books!
    Also sauron and mordor are based on nazi germany (funfact) that just shows the creativity of this man.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,429

KGpoopy said:

Yes I hear that Tolkien himself didn't liked the fact that his orcs are 'always chaotic evil' race. If it's true then the direction Shadow of War was taking in that issue was not so far from the mark.
  • haynamshaynams Registered Users Posts: 276
    GW orcs/orks are da best. Way better than Blizzard orcs.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,429
    haynams said:

GW orcs/orks are da best. Way better than Blizzard orcs.

Yes Blizzard Orcs had become too PC in Warcraft 3, with all the 'noble savage' theme.
  • SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,315

Now you are going too far my friend, the orcs in lotr are what defined almost every fantasy world who have orcs in them.
    They aren't some dull evil faction because heck he needed an evil faction **** no they are a very detailed race in lotr with tons of character to say they're just there for the good guys is one step to far.
    To me lotr is mainly good because of the orcs and evil characters they are extremely well done and speak to the imagination in both film and books!
    Also sauron and mordor are based on nazi germany (funfact) that just shows the creativity of this man.

Ok that last part doesn't show the creativity of this man. Star wars uses Hitler and Nazi Germany too, and so do a tonne of other books and movies. I mean he's the biggest bad guy in the last century! Using Hitler is the most boring and overused way to make something evil ever.

• Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 7,447

KGpoopy said:

Sources on that? I'm under the impression Tolkien, as a Christian like Chesterton and Lewis, did believe in the objective nature of evil.
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 7,447
    HarryB922 said:

"What would you expect from a country that STILL refers to Native Americans as “Indians”?"

There is no such thing as a 'Native' American; all humans migrated to the Americas from somewhere else. The ones you refer to as 'Native' just got here first.

The name is about recorded history.
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    Games workshop orc/ks are the best and imo a big part of what saves warhammer from being completely generic fantasy

Lotr orcs give me a break, oh so it's like a man but really evil, oh and it used to be an elf but now it is an orc. Immersion broken, if I go to sleep an elf and wake up an orc that's objectively a good thing and I'd be throwing hell of parties, nice try g.r.r. Tolkien!!
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,693
    boyfights said:

Games workshop orc/ks are the best and imo a big part of what saves warhammer from being completely generic fantasy

Lotr orcs give me a break, oh so it's like a man but really evil, oh and it used to be an elf but now it is an orc. Immersion broken, if I go to sleep an elf and wake up an orc that's objectively a good thing and I'd be throwing hell of parties, nice try g.r.r. Tolkien!!

just that the elves (btw, this background story was actaully beeing reworked by Tolkien before he died, he wasn't able to complete it though) didn't just "go to bed and wake up an orc" but was horribly tortured and mutilated
    #RIP BORIS! KILLED BY CA AND GW WITH SHORTSIGHTED CRUELTY JUST TO SHOVE KOSTALTYN DOWN OUR THROATS!

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'

boyfights said:

just that the elves (btw, this background story was actaully beeing reworked by Tolkien before he died, he wasn't able to complete it though) didn't just "go to bed and wake up an orc" but was horribly tortured and mutilated
    Still a pretty good deal if you ask me!
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,284
    There's a lot of misinformation about Tolkien's orcs being thrown about, as well as a hilarious amount of fantasy lovers disrespecting the very foundations their favourite IPs are built upon.

Orcs in popular culture are typically only superficially similar to the original orcs that Tolkien penned. Imposing and brutish on the outside, but but completely missing the point of what they are. The Greenskins take the stereotype up to eleven and bear no resemblance outside of it. There is a race in Warhammer that encapsulates the orcish condition almost on point however. It's the Skaven. Orcs and Skaven lead miserable, typically short lives, unaware of any blessings to be had under the enslavement of a cruel demonic entity. The Skaven do have it worse overall, but the orcs know that they're twisted from what they should be yet are terrified of ever working out a better lot in their life because of fear of retribution as well as the lies Morgoth and later Sauron fed them, ex. Elves would eat orcs, Morgoth is the only god, etc. In short orcs are a pitiable slave race under evil tyrants, and Gandalf himself states such in the Fellowship of the Ring.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Bring naval battles to Warhammer CA!

edited November 2017
    Wyvax said:

There's a lot of misinformation about Tolkien's orcs being thrown about, as well as a hilarious amount of fantasy lovers disrespecting the very foundations their favourite IPs are built upon.

Orcs in popular culture are typically only superficially similar to the original orcs that Tolkien penned. Imposing and brutish on the outside, but but completely missing the point of what they are. The Greenskins take the stereotype up to eleven and bear no resemblance outside of it. There is a race in Warhammer that encapsulates the orcish condition almost on point however. It's the Skaven. Orcs and Skaven lead miserable, typically short lives, unaware of any blessings to be had under the enslavement of a cruel demonic entity. The Skaven do have it worse overall, but the orcs know that they're twisted from what they should be yet are terrified of ever working out a better lot in their life because of fear of retribution as well as the lies Morgoth and later Sauron fed them, ex. Elves would eat orcs, Morgoth is the only god, etc. In short orcs are a pitiable slave race under evil tyrants, and Gandalf himself states such in the Fellowship of the Ring.

Tolkien's orcs are just meat for the grinder and there's never any pity for them expressed by any of the good-guy characters in the novels (only for Sauron's human followers at most), so who cares? That they need a big powerful evil overlord to even function as a threat just makes them doubly pathetic. They simply have no culture of happiness of their own, they're just constantly miserable about everything.

Also, the tortured elves origin is not confirmed and total BS anyway, since that would mean Orcs should have died out centuries ago due to a severe lack of "freshly" tortured elves.
    Marceror said:

If you didn't have Tolkien, you wouldn't have... ...the vast majority of what we now consider fantasy staples.

If only o:) fantasy "staples" ruin the genre imo, it would be infinitely more interesting without them
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,693
    edited November 2017

Also, the tortured elves origin is not confirmed and total BS anyway, since that would mean Orcs should have died out centuries ago due to a severe lack of "freshly" tortured elves.

(Many of) The first Orcs had been tortured Elves, after this they multiplied the "usual way". Others might have been lesser Maiar (See: Boldog http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Boldog)

It seems that the latest intended origin of the Orks by Tolkien had been one of mixed human-elf origin.

"A mix of corrupted Elves and Men

A late idea of Tolkien seems to be that Orcs had a mixed origin of Elves and Men. Text IX of the "Myths Transformed" section of Morgoth's Ring shows this view. The text has no date, but uses the late spelling "Ork" instead of "Orc". This new spelling was adopted in a note of 1969:[33]

"Since Melkor could not 'create' an independent species, but had immense powers of corruption and distortion of those that came into his power, it is probable that these Orks had a mixed origin. Most of them plainly (and biologically) were corruptions of Elves (and probably later also of Men). But always among them (as special servants and spies of Melkor, and as leaders) there must have been numerous corrupted minor spirits who assumed similar bodily shapes. (These would exhibit terrifying and demonic characters.)"[36]"
    #RIP BORIS! KILLED BY CA AND GW WITH SHORTSIGHTED CRUELTY JUST TO SHOVE KOSTALTYN DOWN OUR THROATS!

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 11,247
    The Greenskins of both 40k and Fantasy are defintiely goofy. But that really adds to their charm. In the beginning I felt it was silly in a bad way. But it grew on me and it adds to the relative uniqueness of the setting. Also in 40k the Orks used or maybe still have a special rule that is just fun and characterful, the 'Red Wunz Go Fasta' rule that dictated that a red paint job on a vehicle allowed it to go faster owing to the collective belief amongst the Orks that red ones really do go faster. Probably one of my favourite rules.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,284
    edited November 2017
    boyfights said:

Wyvax said:

I'm 90% joking when I rag on lotr, tbh the fact that so many ips are based off of it is the worst I can really say about it. It drives me insane that "writers" can be so lazy as to pull directly from another body of work so blatantly. If a new sci-fi series aired featuring klingons, ewoks and pikachus every nerd on the planet would explode but for whatever reason fantasy gets away with it and I hate it
    No prob. I've however run into people who legit despise Tolkien for setting the concepts that most writers try to coat tail on (while also missing the point rather amusingly) and its really bizarre and backwards in logic. For the writers themselves, I think the mistake they make is emulating his ideas directly, rather than his process and sources, that and "he was really, really successful I must copy his formula to the letter!" While fantasy lovers have the equivalent problem of "the ideal fantasy" crafted in Tolkien's image.

As to the topic. Warhammer Greenskins are a likeable and unique take on the orc trope. And a breath of fresh air.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Bring naval battles to Warhammer CA!

That Tolkien came up with them first doesn't mean he also made the best use of the concept. His Orcs are just an irredeemable enemy force that provides the antagonist with his armies and can be slaughtered without developing any PTSD about it. There isn't anything more to them than that.
  • NobleGunnerNobleGunner Registered Users Posts: 757
    I prefer warcraft orcs tbh... The whole goofy british accents and facial structure kinda make me angry.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 11,247
    Warhammer Orcs over both Warcraft and Tolkien (LotR movies) aesthetically. Warcraft Orcs look like roided up humans and Tolkien Orcs look like overgrown Goblins (and goblins ain't no Orcs even the greatest snotling fondler will tell you that!).
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
    WH Orcs are more angry muscular man pig colored green, while LOTR orcs vary a bit more in shape, size and appearance, and are a bit more in depth in that there is more than one species, and more than one personalty. Like I said games and the movie series have delved in deeper into the humorous side, and the dark side of LOTRs orcs.

LOTR orcs have way more interesting things to say that are not crying WAAAGH and er we go. Also the WH orcs are very flat characters compared to LOTRs orcs. (flat in a literary sense, not boring) Also WH orcs are always Empire and dwarfs canon fodder and hero making enemies while LOTR orcs draw the line as they are a little more intelligent and way more cunning, and actually win major plot battles.

*takes a sip of grog
    What say you WH orc boys?
    edited November 2017

I prefer warcraft orcs tbh... The whole goofy british accents and facial structure kinda make me angry.

I like the accents, I don't like their knee bone headed facial structure. It reminds me of D.S. (the medical condition)
    It's a weird design choice on GW's part.
    Xenos7 said:

That Tolkien came up with them first doesn't mean he also made the best use of the concept. His Orcs are just an irredeemable enemy force that provides the antagonist with his armies and can be slaughtered without developing any PTSD about it. There isn't anything more to them than that.

I think you really misunderstood Tolkien. His conceptual universe is very different from what you would find in proto-existentialist and existentialist literary works (Dostoevskij, Pirandello, Sartre). He doesn't deal in relativism, psychological analysis of characters, philosophical anguish and so on. Middle Earth is steeped in an heroic, ancient germanic world-view mixed with christian undertones.
    How does that matter? Saying that he drew from primitive storytelling without improving upon it doesn't exactly convince me of his great story concepts now, does it?

I find Tolkien's Orcs lame and basic. All the bad guy races from Warhammer are superior to them in one way or another.

Greenskins enjoy themselves and what they do
    Daemons of Chaos are terrifying and borderline lovecraftian
    Warriors of Chaos are bad ass
    Skaven are funny in their over-the-top selfish evilness
    Beastmen at least have some sort of semblance of culture while Tolkien Orcs have none
    Chaos Dwarfs have nice hats and a very cool babylonian aesthetic to them
    Dark Elves...OK, those are try-hardy edgelord losers, they're lamer than Tolkien Orks, I give you that
  • FifthOfSpaghettiFifthOfSpaghetti Registered Users Posts: 1,636

Fun fact: Games Workshop contracted Blizzard to create a Warhammer gme before War Craft was a thing. GW cancelled the project late in which pushed Blizzard to use the assets they already had to make the first War Craft game, and eventually evolving into what the War Craft Orcs are today. Pretty nifty, im not sure if it’s 100% confirmed as you’ll Be hard pressed to get either company to say it, or release documents from the 90’s that likely don’t even exist anymore
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 10,972

Fun fact: Games Workshop contracted Blizzard to create a Warhammer gme before War Craft was a thing. GW cancelled the project late in which pushed Blizzard to use the assets they already had to make the first War Craft game, and eventually evolving into what the War Craft Orcs are today. Pretty nifty, im not sure if it’s 100% confirmed as you’ll Be hard pressed to get either company to say it, or release documents from the 90’s that likely don’t even exist anymore
    Pretty sure it was Blizzard or an (ex-)employee of Blizzard who said it at the time.