Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What does the meat shield trait actually do?

BoldElfBoldElf Registered Users Posts: 191
Hi all I was just wondering if the Meat shield trait that you can find on units such as clan rats has any effect? Does it operate similar to the expendable trait where by only other expendable units are influenced if they rout or in this case it only effects other meat shield units and expendable units (so it goes from the top down). I really wish CA would put the detailed information somewhere even if its in the online manual you click on but I personally can't find that information. I only know expendable units only effect other expendable units leadership because I read it on reddit or heard it in a CA YouTube video or something.

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 37,386
    It means them dying has no impact on your armies morale.
    "It's no fun fighting people weaker than you." - The Beast

"There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - The descendant of Guanyin

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector,

• uriakuriak Registered Users Posts: 4,437
    Isn't that "expandable, though"?

Meat shield is probably just indicative as of a unit whose role is to absorb damage that would be more useful applied to more precious units. Most basic troops with shields could be categorized like this.
  • UnconqueredSunUnconqueredSun Registered Users Posts: 160
    It's not a trait, it's a role descriptor derived from actual traits.
  • SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,315
    meatshield means they have high health/defence but deal little damage.

So like peasants, zombies etc. at least thats what I think. They're definitely units which are supposed to die to save your other troops.
  • seienchinseienchin Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,572

meatshield means they have high health/defence but deal little damage.

So like peasants, zombies etc. at least thats what I think. They're definitely units which are supposed to die to save your other troops.

Which ironically are more easily killable than a unit with some armor and shields and half of the HP...

Despite some people using the TT term of "tarpit" (a unit that is nearly unkillable/routable and will bind an enemy unit of the duration of most (all) of the battle) this simply does not work in TWW.
    In MP however having some cannon fodder units that take a charge or delay an enemy elite unit is a basic tactic. There "meat shield" makes sense. Tarpit still doesnt.
    Meatshield in TW is more likely to reference a unit designed to absorb fire, yes.
  • caffeinatedneilcaffeinatedneil Registered Users Posts: 116
    uriak said:

Meatshield in TW is more likely to reference a unit designed to absorb fire, yes.

A "meat shield" is exactly that; a unit who's purpose is to act as a shield and "block" enemy missile fire so your better units can reach the enemy relatively healthy.

It's not a trait, but a descriptor, like Damage Dealer, that gives you a not-so-subtle hint what the unit was meant to do.
  • Charles555ncCharles555nc Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 230
    BoldElf said:

Hi all I was just wondering if the Meat shield trait that you can find on units such as clan rats has any effect? Does it operate similar to the expendable trait where by only other expendable units are influenced if they rout or in this case it only effects other meat shield units and expendable units (so it goes from the top down). I really wish CA would put the detailed information somewhere even if its in the online manual you click on but I personally can't find that information. I only know expendable units only effect other expendable units leadership because I read it on reddit or heard it in a CA YouTube video or something.

Meatshield apparently means they route after a few seconds because of their massively low leadership without tanking or dealing much damage because of their insanely low melee attack and defense.
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,165

Meatshield apparently means they route after a few seconds because of their massively low leadership without tanking or dealing much damage because of their insanely low melee attack and defense.

Meatshield isn't a mechanical trait. It is a function of the trait "expendable", high numbers, and generally worthless combat capabilities. They are just used to absorb damage, so yeah, low leadership is a given. You are just sent in to die first. I'd run too.
  • ZerglesZergles Member Registered Users Posts: 3,014

BoldElf said:

That's how it has worked IRL since the dawn of organized warfare.

You think a Russian Partisian with nothing but a scythe from his shed would put up a fight for more than a few seconds? They were so notorious for running that, that is what started the "Russian Comissar" who would shoot/stab them if they routed.
  • Charles555ncCharles555nc Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 230
    Zergles said:

BoldElf said:

That's how it has worked IRL since the dawn of organized warfare.

You think a Russian Partisian with nothing but a scythe from his shed would put up a fight for more than a few seconds? They were so notorious for running that, that is what started the "Russian Comissar" who would shoot/stab them if they routed.
    The dawn of organized warfare is communist Soviets treating people like they are disposable? No. Skaven infantry/archer/monster units needs a stat buff.
  • BoldElfBoldElf Registered Users Posts: 191
    I see some people saying that its just a descriptor how ever Expendable is just a descriptor but it also causes their routes etc to only effect other expendable units and you can have a unit with the trait expendable and meat shield which is why I was wondering if meat shield works in a similar way as I understand you would want clan rats to get jibbed and absorb fire before your storm vermin hit the lines but you don't want cheap units routing effecting your elite moral like Expendable used to do in TWW.
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,155
    BoldElf said:

I see some people saying that its just a descriptor how ever Expendable is just a descriptor but it also causes their routes etc to only effect other expendable units and you can have a unit with the trait expendable and meat shield which is why I was wondering if meat shield works in a similar way as I understand you would want clan rats to get jibbed and absorb fire before your storm vermin hit the lines but you don't want cheap units routing effecting your elite moral like Expendable used to do in TWW.

what the green bit say ifs different from the ones listed under unit abilities
    the green bit does nothing while the ability does so the green bit is called a descriptor because it does nothing like al green and red bits

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
    @blaat I understand that but there is no unit ability for expendable but it has been stated when an expendable unit retreats it only effects other units with the expendable tag's leadership but that is not an ability its just a green text tag and I don't even think this fact is mentioned its just a hidden thing.
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,155
    BoldElf said:

@blaat I understand that but there is no unit ability for expendable but it has been stated when an expendable unit retreats it only effects other units with the expendable tag's leadership but that is not an ability its just a green text tag and I don't even think this fact is mentioned its just a hidden thing.

oops a misunderstanding then that was exactly what I was trying to say LOL :D

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • SnotfaceSnotface Member Registered Users Posts: 753
    there is a unit ability called expendable now, its the one with the skull and crossbones.
    Wyvern's is good fer one thing, eatin' smashin' smellin' and flyin.'
    Green descriptors = fairly high quality advice from CA

Knowing how actual stats work = even better

Nowadays I don't read the green text at all, actual stats say it all anyway.
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 5,614

The only problem are things like acuatic, forest strider, duelist, that doen't show in the stats.
    Duellist specifically refers to the splash area, there couldn't be really a pictogram leading to this attribute, nor a descriptor (1 square meter? ) It fits pretty well the green text. But strider and aquatic could be in the bottom bar honestly, if all magic powers are (and crowd some units)
    Strider has an icon.

Duellist refers to more than splash, ie armor piercing.
    Pocman said:

The only problem are things like acuatic, forest strider, duelist, that doen't show in the stats.
    I totally agree with that. Its so annoying having to guess when Forest Strider or Aquatic is active. Surely they can put the buff on the bottom of the unit card when its active like other abilities I don't even think their stats change when its active so you can't even tell that way.