Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: WARHAMMER II - Development Update

Comments

• ArizonaBlack1ArizonaBlack1 Posts: 247Registered Users
    Norsca in May?!?! Holy smokes! I feel like we’ve been led on with a carrot stretched out in front of us for 3 months only to have it punted across the river. What gives man. You’re a big time company, don’t promise what you realistically can’t deliver. This community monitors these forums by the day because at this time the game does not feel enjoyable. Give us more communication about this game instead of no communication and other game announcements. It leaves us guessing which is really never a good thing.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,826Registered Users
    Rustedyba said:

Jastall said:

I appreciate the transparency and understand that technical issues are a thing, especially with a project as ambitious as ME. But more than half a year to implement Norsca -game 2's pre-order bonus no less- is not really acceptable. To say nothing of the fact that patches seem to arrive more slowly than for WH1.

In these conditions, I'll be very hesitant to buy new DLC for WH2 until Mortal Empires is a complete package. And I certainly hope CA learns from their mistakes in the future.

Wanna back off a little? Damn
    They admitted they were wrong and learned from it. They won't make the same mistake.

People here who are critical of them are doing it because they don't fully understand the situation CA are in.

From a software development standpoint it's a right PITA keeping track of all these builds. But merging old builds with newly update and improved builds? That sounds like a nightmare to me. I may not have the most software development experience but as a programmer with some experience as an internship overseeing how development work's, I can only imagine how much hell those workers are in for. So much so they said they are working from scratch. If that alone doesn't tell you how complex games are, the fact they would rather start from scratch than to fix it. Then you'll never understand. There's a reason Game Development is amongst the most DIFFICULT software development job there is. Games are some of the most complex programs on the planet.

You can forgive them for not seeing how difficult the merger would be. Yeah you gave them money over the years yadada whatever. Doesn't change anything tbh. They are professional developers and very good ones at that as far as I can tell based off job listings and people I've talked to in the industry, if they didn't see it than I doubt most would have. They knew it would be difficult, always is, but as they said as they realized how every step the integration got more unstable and game breaking, they knew they messed up.

The only thing CA are responsible for and should be held accountable for is that they have the past year or so dropped the ball on COMMUNICATION with there community. That's their only fault. For anybody who thinks it's more, well you're opinion is yours and my experience tells me you are basing your opinion off feelings without fully understanding development.

@CA_Whelan I hope you read this. I know you're inbox and job is probably miserable right now. But just know there are a few who understand your situation. I only ask in the future you improve on communication with this community. I understand everything else you are going through and it's difficulty. I wish you guys good luck on that. Sounds like a nightmare and remember to stay in good health. Crunch time is not going to be fun.

Yeah they learnt on mistakes from Empire Total War realising Napoleon, Rome II realising Attila, on Warhammer I and its prereleased bonus as Chaos so they seem to learn on mistakes all the time........
    Your sentence is so poorly written I got nothing out of that.
  • RustedybaRustedyba Posts: 81Registered Users
    edited December 2017

Rustedyba said:

Jastall said:

I appreciate the transparency and understand that technical issues are a thing, especially with a project as ambitious as ME. But more than half a year to implement Norsca -game 2's pre-order bonus no less- is not really acceptable. To say nothing of the fact that patches seem to arrive more slowly than for WH1.

In these conditions, I'll be very hesitant to buy new DLC for WH2 until Mortal Empires is a complete package. And I certainly hope CA learns from their mistakes in the future.

They admitted they were wrong and learned from it. They won't make the same mistake.

People here who are critical of them are doing it because they don't fully understand the situation CA are in.

From a software development standpoint it's a right PITA keeping track of all these builds. But merging old builds with newly update and improved builds? That sounds like a nightmare to me. I may not have the most software development experience but as a programmer with some experience as an internship overseeing how development work's, I can only imagine how much hell those workers are in for. So much so they said they are working from scratch. If that alone doesn't tell you how complex games are, the fact they would rather start from scratch than to fix it. Then you'll never understand. There's a reason Game Development is amongst the most DIFFICULT software development job there is. Games are some of the most complex programs on the planet.

You can forgive them for not seeing how difficult the merger would be. Yeah you gave them money over the years yadada whatever. Doesn't change anything tbh. They are professional developers and very good ones at that as far as I can tell based off job listings and people I've talked to in the industry, if they didn't see it than I doubt most would have. They knew it would be difficult, always is, but as they said as they realized how every step the integration got more unstable and game breaking, they knew they messed up.

The only thing CA are responsible for and should be held accountable for is that they have the past year or so dropped the ball on COMMUNICATION with there community. That's their only fault. For anybody who thinks it's more, well you're opinion is yours and my experience tells me you are basing your opinion off feelings without fully understanding development.

@CA_Whelan I hope you read this. I know you're inbox and job is probably miserable right now. But just know there are a few who understand your situation. I only ask in the future you improve on communication with this community. I understand everything else you are going through and it's difficulty. I wish you guys good luck on that. Sounds like a nightmare and remember to stay in good health. Crunch time is not going to be fun.

Yeah they learnt on mistakes from Empire Total War realising Napoleon, Rome II realising Attila, on Warhammer I and its prereleased bonus as Chaos so they seem to learn on mistakes all the time........
    Probably you are new Total War player if you don't get it or simply read definition of sarcasm.

Howver for your convenient:
    Empire TW - head Menager admited that this game was a trash so they release Napoleon with bugfixes
    Rome II - great expectation and crap at the begining - i.ex.even now CA and players don't how their political system works. so they fixed it a bit and releaed Attila TW
    WH I - Chaos as preorder bonus was found as mistake by many and if I remeber well also by CA so they didn't repeat it with WHII however they promised ME with Norsca as free dlc.

Mistakes miastekes apologies apologies. Never ending story.
  • SteamageSteamage Posts: 396Registered Users
    They probably seem to have planned nothing until May.

Rustedyba said:

Rustedyba said:

Jastall said:

Probably you are new Total War player if you don't get it or simply read definition of sarcasm.
    Yes because a poorly written sentence means I am a new TW player. Logical.

I've played all those games. Has nothing to do with his terrible sentence.
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,277Registered Users
    Storeslem said:

im a patient guy but holy cow norsca and ROR in may?
    6 MONTHS! to re-implement dare i say copy/paste?(like you said it wasn't)
    -reskinned troll
    -reskinned chaos dragon
    -reskinned giant
    -marauder spearmen
    -marauder axe thrower
    -marauder spear thrower
    -marauder champion
    marauder this maruader that, holy f that must be so time consuming really?
    it's Beyond lazy and super underwhelming and i see no reason why ROR cant be impleneted before this

If it is as simple as copy and paste they would have done it by now, in fact if you read the blog you will notice that it was their assumption that they could copy and paste that landed them in this mess. And you think this is lazyness? That they say "we don't care about controversy surrounding our product, that supplies the money that pays our salaries", maybe spend the days sipping tea instead? Perhaps there are actually serious issues porting Norsca, perhaps it is a little more complex than retexturing and porting a few models?
  • baronblackbaronblack Posts: 3,202Registered Users
    Steamage said:

She seems to talk about a new project as a faction... not a LP DLC.

Lord Packs for WH2 are being produced since July. I just hope that the Minor Factions (DoW and Araby) do not get into the trash can after May...

Rustedyba said:

Rustedyba said:

Jastall said:

Nothing will help if you can't put two and two togehter.
    Goatforce said:

Storeslem said:

-reskinned troll
    -reskinned chaos dragon
    -reskinned giant
    -marauder spearmen
    -marauder axe thrower
    -marauder spear thrower
    -marauder champion
    it's Beyond lazy and super underwhelming and i see no reason why ROR cant be impleneted before this

If it is as simple as copy and paste they would have done it by now, in fact if you read the blog you will notice that it was their assumption that they could copy and paste that landed them in this mess. And you think this is lazyness? That they say "we don't care about controversy surrounding our product, that supplies the money that pays our salaries", maybe spend the days sipping tea instead? Perhaps there are actually serious issues porting Norsca, perhaps it is a little more complex than retexturing and porting a few models?
    Uneducated people will never know the struggles of software development.
    People hate copy and pasting in games and they call it laziness. "The map is symmetrical and is exactly the same! Lazy devs!"
    Then this thing happens and people are like "It's a copy and paste job it takes 1 minute!"
    Thats gamer logic.
  • englisharcher89englisharcher89 Senior Member Bath, UKPosts: 3,969Registered Users
    I am happy with what CA said, that they are honest and got some honor, that is appreciated.

Norsca in May is disappointing but what can you do? I only wish they balanced Old World earlier, especially faction and lord starting effects and their damn static animated portraits.

TK in January is very good, I am even much happier than with Norsca TBH, but again shame it was postponed or pushed from this month... AGAIN, well with that said I am removing TW: WH 2 from my HDD for now and coming back with TK next month.

Next time I am also not buying TW: WH 3 until it's all nicely done, they done tremendous job with first game, they got overconfident and screwed it this time around.

"Do remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow, and insidious killer" - DARKEST DUNGEON Narrator. That also applies to people in life.
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
  • PappyTronPappyTron Posts: 924Registered Users

Goatforce said:

Storeslem said:

-reskinned troll
    -reskinned chaos dragon
    -reskinned giant
    -marauder spearmen
    -marauder axe thrower
    -marauder spear thrower
    -marauder champion

People hate copy and pasting in games and they call it laziness. "The map is symmetrical and is exactly the same! Lazy devs!"
    Then this thing happens and people are like "It's a copy and paste job it takes 1 minute!"
    Thats gamer logic.
    Uneducated people? You mean the peons? Come down from your high horse; you tap a keyboard for a living.
    "We’ve been playtesting the **** out of every one of the 35 factions on all the difficulty settings"
  • hoferushoferus Posts: 24Registered Users
    Sad news, it is a long time. But I am looking forward for the tomb kings and the experiment.

I hope that in all this trouble you still think about to make something with good old Boris and some Middenheim goodies. It has to happen.
  • MoebabybluesMoebabyblues Posts: 54Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    Patience my children, patience. The game works fine, I don't know much about coding but I do know that incompatability is a pain to solve. Chill boys.
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on
    edited December 2017
    Rustedyba said:

Rustedyba said:

Rustedyba said:

Jastall said:

Nothing will help if you can't put two and two togehter.
    I think I know what he is saying. But I don't want to assume so. Because assuming something can lead to bad things.
    Nothing will help if you can't be bothered to explain what exactly he meant. Otherwise you're trying to argue for the sake of filling time.
    PappyTron said:

Goatforce said:

Storeslem said:

-reskinned troll
    -reskinned chaos dragon
    -reskinned giant
    -marauder spearmen
    -marauder axe thrower
    -marauder spear thrower
    -marauder champion

Thats gamer logic.
    Uneducated people? You mean the peons? Come down from your high horse; you tap a keyboard for a living.
    You are uneducated if you don't know a certain something. I am uneducated in astrophysics. That an insult? No.
    I am not on any high horse. Even before I got into programming I could see what I said earlier was true. It's very ironic. Besides I may tap a keyboard for a living, but you should be thankful programmers are in the world to make your life easier. You know that device you are using? Yeah should be grateful nerds like me exist:)
    That and be thankful for Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Intel, AMD, etc... they are the true MVP's.
  • bhutchisonbhutchison Posts: 29Registered Users
    Keep up the good work, CA! You've shown that loyalty gets rewards, like FLC and the like. I appreciate how sincere you are to your errors, and you'll make even smoother product releases when it's rectified. While bummed about how late Norsca is coming in, I totally get it.

Thank you again!
  • gholingholin Member Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    CA_Whelan said:

Where is 30th anniversary regiments of renown..??

The 30th regiments will come along with Norsca
    Darn. Without those RORs, it makes playing Wood Elves, Brets, Chaos, and Beastmen feel off. I'll hold off to play any of those races until May, I guess.

I really wish we could at least get the RORs earlier. Seems like a smaller change, and it would add a lot to the DLC factions, give them (Especially the beastmen) a bit more going on.
  • gholingholin Member Posts: 1,101Registered Users

Red_Dox said:

Funny. I have layed off playing ME because missing Norsca/RoR/Update and now, where I have a date when I can play, my first thought is: "You friggin monsters! That's around the same time where Stellaris gets his big 2.0 change".

Ah well, at least now I know when Tomb Kings come next month, I could snuck in a ME testdrive if I wanted, without fearing that three weeks later something is released that crashes my turn 150 save file.

------Red Dox

Pretty sure it's not Tomb Kings =3 Just a regular Lord Pack ^^
    They called it a campaign pack. That's code word for fully fleshed out race pack. Also, did you miss they "Cryptic" reference in italics? Hmmm... Double meaning there. It's Tomb Kings, no mistake. A Lord pack wouldn't fit any of that description, except "characterful" The problem is, they said it's huge. So it's not a Lord Pack.
  • ArizonaBlack1ArizonaBlack1 Posts: 247Registered Users
    Lemme guess, Tomb Kings the last day of January?
  • BambusekBambusek Member Posts: 186Registered Users
    edited December 2017

5 months to implement Norsca and ROR ? That must be a joke. Yet Norsca was Warhammer II pre-order bonus !! It's not any random DLC from Warhammer 1. Honnestly, this is just disrespectful for the players.

5 month to make Norsca from scratch. If you can do this faster, please do. I am sure CA will be thankful for the support.

Norsca in May?!?! Holy smokes! I feel like we’ve been led on with a carrot stretched out in front of us for 3 months only to have it punted across the river. What gives man. You’re a big time company, don’t promise what you realistically can’t deliver.

Read the blog entry, please, and try to understand words written there. They explained what went wrong and why it was something they could not predict.
    And also May is not definitive. CA is struggling to do Norsca ASAP. For what we know, after TKs they will focus on Norsca.

They gave an ETA for May, but even them cannot say if they can do it earlier by a miracle.

I think that the game itself is at stake here, Araby/DoW and even Lord Packs can be delayed further or not done at all, and if things get into a disaster, yes, even Game 3 would become a dream.

So instead of doing the Cry all along the way, play the game and report to CA everything that needs to be fixed in patch cycles. Criticism is a thing, but the crying, blaming the WH2 DLC team (that is not even the culprit here) and CA in general is just sillyness. They were arrogant, but they felt sorry and said it to us openly. What gives me an headache more than the childish blaming is that I have to fight Surtha Ek the Everchariot for 6 months more than even playing as Wulfrik. So CA, get your hands working and at least give us a fix to Norsca Economy and Recruitment along TKs patch.
    I'm waiting for the patch notes to regain some trust in Total War, because I know I will rage a lot if Minors Faction or new Lords do not get into the game, because is a wasted opportunity to sell well.
  • Lord_HenkusLord_Henkus Posts: 1,472Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    CA... I thought you were my friend...

Although I understand the situation, I still find this quite Amateuristic..
    How negative I may sound, game is stil 11 out of 10

Also, please slow down combat!

• DromeDrome Posts: 36Registered Users
    Thanks a lot for this important update.
    The truth is the way to go.

I wish you all the best, CA, finishing this gem! <3
    In the midst of chaos, there is opport~unity
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,846Registered Users
    There is absolutely NO indication that there will be a content drought between January and May. CA never said this and never even insinuated or implied it. I've no idea where people get this idea from. If you are wondering why they didn't list any content between January and May 2018, it's because it's not important to the blog post, nothing more sinister than that. They just wanted to show the content hungry that they would get something soon in January and also show that we would get Norsca in May. Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence, just because content isn't listed in the blog does NOT mean there is no content between January and May.
    edited December 2017
    Krunch said:

There is absolutely NO indication that there will be a content drought between January and May. CA never said this and never even insinuated or implied it. I've no idea where people get this idea from. If you are wondering why they didn't list any content between January and May 2018, it's because it's not important to the blog post, nothing more sinister than that. They just wanted to show the content hungry that they would get something soon in January and also show that we would get Norsca in May. Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence, just because content isn't listed in the blog does NOT mean there is no content between January and May.

This:
    Steamage said:

• KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 2,009Registered Users
    "We’re also bundling in a free, new (and highly experimental!) game mode which we’ve had in our back pocket for a while now."

killable LLs? please
    Rustedyba said:

Krunch said:

This:
    Steamage said:

Grace is the community manager, she said that is improbable we get NOTHING from February to May but she does not know.
  • DEM0N_LLAMADEM0N_LLAMA Posts: 533Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    KGpoopy said:

"We’re also bundling in a free, new (and highly experimental!) game mode which we’ve had in our back pocket for a while now."

killable LLs? please

Nvm.
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,277Registered Users
    edited December 2017

Lemme guess, Tomb Kings the last day of January?

They said we will know more about DLC this month, which probably means they will announce in the next few weeks (though I imagine before christmas). This means it will probs not be that far into January when TKs are released.
  • ScratcH1ScratcH1 Posts: 164Registered Users
    Thank you CA for your detailed blog post and honesty! But I'm honestly quite disappointed hearing that we've to wait half a year from now until norsca gets properly implemented. It's not because I want to play norsca so badly in the ME but without RO and their restrictions where they can settle, they become almost unmanageable and spread like a wildfire. I started a campaign as High Elves on very hard as soon as the ME update dropped only to find out that within like 80 turns, Varg controls a large chunk of the old world and is the strongest faction.

Because of that and the "all chaos forces move towards player" (which apparently has been fixed) I held off playing the ME and Warhammer 2 altogether. Having completed the vortex campaign with each race, I can't really see myself going back to it, especially when the ME is readily available, even if broken. Having to wait an additional 6 months from now on, to experience the ME properly is really sad to hear.

I might pick it up again when the first race DLC gets released as I can play them in the vortex campaign.
  • Rithrin216Rithrin216 Posts: 109Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    I just play Multiplayer so waiting for the Anniversary RoR was what disappointed me the most because it affects 4 Races. I can wait for Norsca but I stopped playing the game about 2-3 weeks ago because I didn't enjoy playing the WH1 DLC races without the Anniversary RoR. The game just felt incomplete.