Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Please, don't abandon Warhammer!

Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 5,184Registered Users
I'm a day-one Total War fan. I still remember reading about the first Shogun on my favorite magazine, the emotion when I opened the red box and looked at that wonderful printed manual, the amazement at the scale of battles, the moment I feel in love with the Warrior Monks. I was a boy with a passion for history, which I kept cultivating for all these years, till I decided to pursue a second master's degree in cultural history, purely out of personal interest. I can say without a doubt Total War helped fanning the flames of this passion. I'm also a dedicated strategy gamer, both tabletop and PC, and I owe some of my dearest gaming memories to CA. I'm grateful for all of this.

But Total War Warhammer was, to me, on another level altogether. I've never been a single-game guy, I always liked switching between different titles and play in bite-sized chunks. But Warhammer almost converted me: I played every faction multiple times, purchased every bit of content the very minute it became available, checked on the workshop for new mods almost daily. I loved the game so much I learned how to mod it myself, and I'm not a tech-y guy at all. I'm sure I'll still like historical titles down the line, but this is different. This kind of sense of wonder is unique to fantasy, it just speaks to my inner child. As I said, I'm interested in a wide range of very serious studies, but well, dragons are dragons.

So, it saddens me seeing how the Warhammer series is being somewhat neglected. Just looking at release schedules, this second chapter seems poised to have less content than the first one. There is a strong impression going on among fans we won't get anything interesting between Tomb Kings and Norsca. Old World factions lack many mechanics and changes that were introduced down the line. DLC races are far from their full potential: Beastmen roster is quite weak, Wood Elves risk being left with just two Legendary Lords, Chaos isn't in great shape either. Mortal Empires has bugs, Norsca was a mistake, but this is no reason to throw in the towel. There is great potential for new lords, sub-factions, units, minor races. There is Middenland, Ariel, Marius Leitdorf, the Ghorgon... and then Araby, and Dogs of War, and the great beasts from the Monstrous Arcanum... there are even Halflings:) There is a whole lot of awesome in this setting, and it would be a shame to leave it untapped.

I'm not asking for free content. I strongly believe good work should be compensated fairly. Just for the courage needed to do justice to this wonderful IP. We have limited infos on how Warhammer II is doing. Judging by SteamSpy, it seems it sold less than Warhammer I, but still respectably. We don't know if this came as a disappointment to SEGA and CA or was factored in. But we can say with confidence that releasing new titles out of the usual confort zone paid handsomely for Paradox (Stellaris), Slitherine (WH40k: Armageddon) and obviously CA (Warhammer I). Fictional titles sell well in the strategy genre, there is obviously a strong audience for them. I've seen people constantly asking for new content on this very forum since I joined. I will say: be bold. Stay hungry, as a smart guy used to say. There is really no fantasy strategy game of this scale in the whole history of gaming: if you care about it, Total War Warhammer will be a great legacy and spoken of in the years to come, like Master of Orion and Enemy Unknown. I'm sure that with enough care and support this series will reward every effort tenfold. So thank you for what you've done so far, but please don't leave us out in the cold.

Comments

• SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,502Registered Users
    sign...

I almost feel bad (only almost) that I made fun out of the "historical only" TW "fans".

We already know that we get something "cryptic" in January, at which point CA certainly will say more about what happens or doesn't happen in February or April.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,286Registered Users
    I feel Warhammer 2 have already a lot more content on day 1. With that said, naturally there's not much left content to be added which may appears the game is 'abandon'.

There are 2 ways to do thing, based in normal capabilities.

1. Release something small day 1 and continuous add them more periodically until they becomes big.

2. Release big day 1 with longer oeriod of add ons in between until life cycle end.

Either way, there'll be 2 sides who agree and who oppose whichever way you choose.

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 17,352Registered Users
    Relaxxxxx.

We're not going to get the amount of extra content we got in 1, but that's because there's less to do, less low hanging fruit. The game will slowly get updates, a new race or 2, new lords, more polish. S'all good son.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • DebaucheeDebauchee Junior Member Posts: 1,405Registered Users
    You sure overestimate the amount of possible DLC for Game II. They way it was marketed and developed, we will only recieve factions, that are present both in Vortex and Mortal Empires: Tomb Kings and a high probability of Araby and New World Colonial powers. The resst will be lord packs.
  • Grimgor_the_CAkeGrimgor_the_CAke Posts: 1,702Registered Users
    OP, I am afraid their answers to you can be summarized as below :'(

• AIMA_DracklorAIMA_Dracklor Posts: 4,416Registered Users
    I know there is less stufd to add in game 2, but they should add tons of stuff to the old world like new LL, and at the same timr release DLC for warhammer 2, there could be much more stuff, its gonna be 3 months before we get the first DLC

Its a long time and the time after the release of warhammer 2 with all the historical stuff and no news or things to warhammer 2 feels weird

It feels like they gave up on launch and killed a lot of the hype for the game by not posting any news for a month.

The months after the game release should keep the hype, but all those news killed it

There is nothing new for christams exept the lab, and I was srly hoping for a DLC to reignite the game, but im a bit sad, IK they disnt give up, but I cant help but to have that impression

• IcestrugleIcestrugle Junior Member Posts: 1,168Registered Users
    I agree with you this game is awesome and so unique, it is a dream that I had before Warhammer 1,total war combined with fantasy( in my Lord of the rings, didn't even knew Warhammer what it is exactly) , i think tombb Kings in January and Lord packs after will come, and maybe araby after. I still want more LL and LH, and for old races more developed gameplay mechanics.
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,433Registered Users
    It doesn't look abandoned to me at all.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • DracoknightDracoknight Posts: 281Registered Users
    Mattzo said:

It doesn't look abandoned to me at all.

Looks like a Lego Train set where the 1/3rd of the train is put together, and the other 1/3rd is placed at random on top and the last 1/3rd is scattered around the room or missing.
  • EarlybirdEarlybird Posts: 592Registered Users
    Yes, the debacle is real
  • MeanSonOfAGunMeanSonOfAGun Posts: 449Registered Users
    Earlybird said:

Yes, the debacle is real

Don´t know about a debacle. After Chaos invasion got hotfixed I had a fun time with ME. Vortex campaign isn´t quite the center piece of my concern, but it still offers a nice change in pace.

Sure, a couple of things are still missing, some of them unfortunately until May. Still, a debacle looks way different in my book. I´m very much looking forward to what´s yet to come.
  • Mad MacMad Mac Junior Member Posts: 718Registered Users
    I am hard pressed to describe a scenario where the Pre-order bonus finally gets added to the game 9 months after it initially came out and delays the entire content/update schedule for the same game in the process except debacle, or a synonym of your choice.

Even if you're personally ok with it, I'm pretty sure that's a unique and memorable screw-up in the entire history of the video games industry.
  • MeanSonOfAGunMeanSonOfAGun Posts: 449Registered Users
    Mad Mac said:

I am hard pressed to describe a scenario where the Pre-order bonus finally gets added to the game 9 months after it initially came out and delays the entire content/update schedule for the same game in the process except debacle, or a synonym of your choice.

Even if you're personally ok with it, I'm pretty sure that's a unique and memorable screw-up in the entire history of the video games industry.

A debacle is what some people have chosen to make of it. The massive delay is disappointing, no question. But CA never said it turned the whole schedule upside down (neither I think it will). And I ,for one, have never thought such an ambitious project will go down without any issues to learn from.
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIPosts: 7,162Registered Users
    Warhammer isn't abandoned, and as I've said before, there will be content between.
    Thrones of Britannia: 69/100
    Warhammer II: 73/100
    Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100 [Age of Charlemagne: 72/100]
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100 [Fall of the Samurai: 95/100]
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100 [Kingdoms: 90/100]
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100
  • uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
    Mad Mac said:

Methink you should perhaps pick more intermediate terms in the case of a preorder bonus that was playable in the first game (and still is) and a delay in new content. A game that has issues making it unplayable - and I mean really unplayable- at release is a debacle. A game that won't be supported anymore and is abandonned mid dev is a debacle. An ice sheet fragmenting into the ocean is a debacle. The whole ME affair is not.

• Mad MacMad Mac Junior Member Posts: 718Registered Users
    uriak said:

Mad Mac said:

Methink you should perhaps pick more intermediate terms in the case of a preorder bonus that was playable in the first game (and still is) and a delay in new content. A game that has issues making it unplayable - and I mean really unplayable- at release is a debacle. A game that won't be supported anymore and is abandonned mid dev is a debacle. An ice sheet fragmenting into the ocean is a debacle. The whole ME affair is not.

I will stick with my wording, thanks. Whether you think it's overall a big deal or not, it's still a huge misstep on their end and I simply can't point to a bigger screwup specifically in the realm of pre-order DLCs.
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,357Registered Users
    Abandoned?? Lmao people are hilarious. We have SO MUCH content to be satisfied with, they did a great job in this area. I seriously don't understand how people have played out TWW2. I still play the first game ffs. game 2 I've still only played one faction. Relax. Switch games if our getting bored, or work on delayed gratification and being humble and grateful for what we have. There's just simply less options for DLC in the new world so they're spreading it out, plus yes historical fans deserve stuff to, TW was historical for years people act like they forget that. It makes CA money to offer content to both groups. So it makes sense. Britannia looks awesome anyway. If ur not into historical titles anymore ur in for a long road. They would never "abandon" warhammer, they realize how many fans they have of it. Don't worry. Its just simply split resources atm because they're trying to sell to historical only crowd. Which they deserve to do. Even though ME is bug ridden most of you guys have been saying its awesome and playable, so you should have no issue waiting for DLC. ME is bug ridden but I still have plenty of stuff to play with. So many factions. Relax and wait. It'll come
  • BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Posts: 850Registered Users
    I don't really see this as an issue. I don't really see them neglecting Warhammer in favor of anything else. As much as I love the historical games (and will buy every one of them they put out), The profit potential of the Warhammer games is obviously the greater of CA's IPs.

Right now, I think we are in a strange time period. The hiccup with Norsca/Foundation obviously delayed some content. I expect that, after May, things will pick up pretty quickly.

As for DLCs, I think we can say with 100% assurance that two of them will be lord packs (probably LM vs Skaven and High vs Dark Elves as the themes). These will include some of additional units, as well as regiments of renown for those factions.

Beyond that, I think the two primary faction DLCs will be Tomb Kings and Araby. They just seem inevitable.

But that isn't the extent of DLC potential. I wouldn't be surprised by a faction DLC for the Vampire Coast, based on unofficial army books and some Norsca-style creativity from CA. Dogs of War are also a possibility - with their presence on the Vortex map being some kind of expedition.

I could also see the inclusion of Chaos and Beastmen DLCs for the Vortex/MEs. Since they are hordes, start locations are less important. They could easily add them to game 2 through a lower cost DLC, with a new lord and some of the missing units for each. On a side note, I would love to play the role of Chaos (or BM) in vortex, with the goal being to stop the current factions from completing all rituals.

Finally, I wouldn't discount the idea of DLCs for game 1, which then carry over to ME. This could include new lords for all of the factions, as well as new units and start locations (and even new factions, such as Kislev). This is assuming, of course, that they come up with a solution to the branching issue they ran into with Norsca - but I think, given that Empire/Dwarfs/etc were ported over with no issue, they can do that when the time comes.

So, I don't really see anything to worry about. CA realizes the goldmine they have with the Warhammer IP. They are going to support that as much as they possibly can.
  • CrazyeightCrazyeight Posts: 336Registered Users
    I always read just a bit longer. Sorry but half a year is far away from just a bit longer. And to this time the game is simply incomplete. And it's not waiting for more content to come, it's waiting for content that was allready in there, and we are not speaking about other issues and bugs, we will see if there are ever going to be fixed, some guys over here a just a bit to positive about that.

ME is simply a Beta Version. Norsca was a pre order bonus. Of course available in game one, but give me a break, telling me to return to the first game is simply ridiculous. So why should I buy the second, in here is the point. It was a false promise from the first day on, saying everything is going to be connected in time.

If they sad, it's not going to happen in time, some guys would wait buying the second game... now the game is sold. It was a false promise no matter what.

I mean look the the implemented old world factions, they are simply not fitting in this new environment. They look like someone cut them out and glued them on another picture. I can't understand why people can't see that. Look at the Dragon ogre shagggoth, he looks like a orange juice, give me a complete break...

• madmariomadmario Senior Member Posts: 115Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    I am actually really pleased with the line so far, compared to how games used to be made. The dribble-dribble in terms of money is what it is, but overall--CA totally lost me as a customer at Rome2, but has largely won me back against all odds.

If you remember Shogun TW, the first one, you also remember expansions in the old days and release schedules in the old days. The pace here is really impressive compared to that, in my view.
    "[A]ges of siege warfare culminated in the use of torches. It is simply not plausible." Garbarsardar
  • ZerglesZergles Member Posts: 3,011Registered Users
    All the doom and gloom. Jeez.

Guys. They won't "abandon" Warhammer. It has been a huge success against some fairly questionable odds. Game Two is going to be better than the first. If it means taking more time to add content, so be it.

In summary, sit back. Have a drink and BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!