Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

New fight animation?

SyranSyran Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 11
I'm a little bit tired of the same animations from Rome2 until Attila. Perhaps U guys can pay more effort on making some news'?

Comments

• ChaosfolkChaosfolk Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 51
    Animations are fine for me.. What I'd like to see is more impactful charges and camera shakes. Battle feeling of warhammer cavalry charges if awesome even though not very realistic.
  • Andreas_The_GreatAndreas_The_Great Registered Users Posts: 7
    ^ agree with that
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,286
    edited November 2017
    Units shieldwall bashing. Lighter units being pushed back little by little by heavier units.

Shieldwall bouncing back when receiving charges to feel the impact.

Units cutting arrows from their shields.

Some shieldwall "Push and stab"

Some units climbing enemy shieldwall and going berserk inside the formation.

Some units pulling enemy inside the shieldwall to kill the one by one..
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • zspianozspiano Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 376
    Will be sick if the animation is still the same with ATTILA.
  • mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Moderators Posts: 5,227
    This is a smaller project than the other new historical title, so I would be surprised (pleasantly) if they are changed.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
    edited November 2017
    Lets talk about Formations...

Shieldwall

What other formations will we going to see during this time period?
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 19,814
    Are you sure about that Jamreal? Looks more like a barbarian attempt at a Roman Turtle command. I accept that the numbers for the reactors are small, which can influence the image somewhat, but I am not convinced this is an accurate representation of a Shield Wall. (Just my personal opinion.)
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • TheGhostOfProman16TheGhostOfProman16 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,749
    I doubt we'll see any new animations especially not the pushing back and shield wall stuff people are mentioning.

This Saga game is basically an Attila Campaign DLC with just a little more effort put into it to hopefully satisfy the historical purist.

Id put more hope in the later actual full new game coming out after the Warhammer Trilogy is done
    Died during the great YOYO wars
  • DreadedNorwegianDreadedNorwegian Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    edited November 2017
    dge1 said:

Are you sure about that Jamreal? Looks more like a barbarian attempt at a Roman Turtle command. I accept that the numbers for the reactors are small, which can influence the image somewhat, but I am not convinced this is an accurate representation of a Shield Wall. (Just my personal opinion.)

It is in fact a correct depiction of a Viking shield wall (Skjoldborg in norwegian, literally sheild-fortress/castle). The shield would protect all flanks, the front as well as the top, looking very much like a Roman testudo.
    Enig og tro til Dovre faller!
  • kinjokinjo Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,610
    ATTILA has a pretty good shield and spearwall formation, so any improvement on that will be great. Having a shieldwall like the last kingdom would be interesting. Maybe there can be an offensive shieldwall that allows the unit to move and attack (keeping formation) and a defensive one that is more like the Last Kingdom that offers superior missile defense, but can't move or if it does very slow like the Roman testudo.
  • saellsaell Registered Users Posts: 481
    Isnt this more a testudo from md 2 then a shield wall
    edited November 2017
    Do you think there will be overlapping shields?

• KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,181
    jamreal18 said:

I mean, it's not much of a shieldwall if SHields don't overlap.
    Krunch said:

jamreal18 said:

Tell that to hoplites in Rome 2.
  • TheGhostOfProman16TheGhostOfProman16 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,749
    jamreal18 said:

Krunch said:

jamreal18 said:

Tell that to hoplites in Rome 2.
    I don't think think the current warscape engine can handle overlapping anything
    Died during the great YOYO wars
    I would like to definitely see a new spearwall formation for longer spears that is not the pike phalanx used in Attila. Hoping it is more like the yari wall in Shogun 2 or even something like this pic-

edited November 2017
    Chaosfolk said:

Animations are fine for me.. What I'd like to see is more impactful charges and camera shakes. Battle feeling of warhammer cavalry charges if awesome even though not very realistic.

I dont like camera shaking and blood splatter on screen. Im not shooting a tv show.

When something explodes, do you really see the ground shaking?

Whe someone is killed, do you really see blood splatter on your face?

I dont want to become a cameraman.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 19,814

dge1 said:

It is in fact a correct depiction of a Viking shield wall (Skjoldborg in norwegian, literally sheild-fortress/castle). The shield would protect all flanks, the front as well as the top, looking very much like a Roman testudo.
    Very good. Thanks for the info.
    jamreal18 said:

Chaosfolk said:

I dont like camera shaking and blood splatter on screen. Im not shooting a tv show.
    I completely agree!

"The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Registered Users Posts: 2,009

It's going to be this maybe
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,664
    dge1 said:

jamreal18 said:

Chaosfolk said:

I completely agree!

Imho this should be something toggable in the options, especially for people wanting a cinematic experience or creating videos it could be useful
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN! TOTAL WAR TROY FOR ONE YEAR EXCLUSIVELY ON THE EPIC GAMES STORE!"

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
    I want to see these animations...

Why would you form shieldwall and then charge? Seems kind of pointless.

I would like to see spears leveled when a unit forms spearwall and really hope the pike formation from Atillia is NOT used. It would be so ridiculous seeing Picts with long spears using that over the top perfect formation.
  • ErminazErminaz Senior Member Las Vegas, Nevada, USARegistered Users Posts: 5,592
    jamreal18 said:

I have a problem with several of these scenes, many for different reasons, but out of all the things I see wrong the one thing from that video I would be absolutely disgusted to see is men jumping over the shield walls. I can't stand the jumping in Warhammer and if we had men jumping over the shield wall I will be very annoyed.
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
  • alexthemantidalexthemantid Member Registered Users Posts: 39
    Erminaz said:

I have a problem with several of these scenes, many for different reasons, but out of all the things I see wrong the one thing from that video I would be absolutely disgusted to see is men jumping over the shield walls. I can't stand the jumping in Warhammer and if we had men jumping over the shield wall I will be very annoyed.

Agreed, I don't want olympic high-jumpers in historical total wars.
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,922
    jamreal18 said:

No.
    ò_ó
  • Norsca_WarlordNorsca_Warlord Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 47

Here is some information on the “svinfylking” (boar formation), the good and bad.

spangenhelm.com/viking-battle-tactics-boar-formation/
    I wish it to be remembered that I was the last man of my tribe to surrender my rifle. ~Sitting Bull~
    edited December 2017
    I like this spearwall depiction

Pict with long spear

I hope the Picts have a long spear (two handed) unit with spears at least 10ft/3 meters long, I don't want to see the silly pike formation from Attila though.
    Post edited by kinjo on
  • Thegn_PhilThegn_Phil Registered Users Posts: 49
    I think a new shield wall animation is needed. Aside from that, the other animations are fine with me.
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Registered Users Posts: 2,370
    Im highly confident they'll integrate some new animations and formations into britannia. The focus was very heavy from all kingdoms this time period on shield walls ect. Very excited