Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

PSA: Grombrindal has a game-breaking bug

PappyTronPappyTron Registered Users Posts: 979
edited December 2017 in General Discussion
I'm not sure how many people are playing as the White Dwarf, or plan to, but his ancestors event was not fixed, despite what the last patch notes say. The minor effect of this is that no matter what event you choose you always receive the buffs to Grombrindal, but the bigger issue is that it can cause the problem where you cannot end the turn or move any armies due to the game wanting you to dismiss a pop-up event that isn't visible.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/209932/grombrindals-ancestor-event-incorrect-effects-applied

and

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/210080/dismiss-all-advice-and-related-events-before-ending-turn

I've just lost a 54 turn, 30-40 hour campaign due to this bug, and don't want anyone else to lose one too. Let me know your thoughts.
"Back in the sweatshop in Ulthuan, we found an Elf, we tossed it right in the soup. Those hungry bastards ate Elf soup every day. What's the worst thing that could happen? Some little snotling chokes on a hairball and dies? So then you toss him in the soup. I was making money hand over foot, literally. Some gobbo lost a hand or a foot, I'd toss it in the soup" - Grom
Post edited by PappyTron on

Comments

• PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 2,706
    Have you reported this in the bug section?
  • 42konyo42konyo Registered Users Posts: 783
    Pocman said:

ffs the guy even links to his bug report in the support section, was it really that much effort to click the links before shitposting?

• WNxDarkRavenWNxDarkRaven Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 51
    Had the same thing yesterday. Saving and reloading fixed it.
  • PappyTronPappyTron Registered Users Posts: 979

Had the same thing yesterday. Saving and reloading fixed it.

Sadly saving/reloading has no effect on the issue for me. It did on the first occasion, around turn 20 or so, but at turn 54 it doesn't change the problem, nor does trying to complete the last turn in a different order to try and reset the RNG, etc.
    "Back in the sweatshop in Ulthuan, we found an Elf, we tossed it right in the soup. Those hungry bastards ate Elf soup every day. What's the worst thing that could happen? Some little snotling chokes on a hairball and dies? So then you toss him in the soup. I was making money hand over foot, literally. Some gobbo lost a hand or a foot, I'd toss it in the soup" - Grom
  • KandennKandenn Registered Users Posts: 485
    Wait what? 30-40h for 54 turns ?!
    Kandenn said:

I manually fight every battle, and pause goodness knows how many times during each battle.
  • seienchinseienchin Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,572
    Kandenn said:

Sounds reasonable to me... Especially the first 30-40 turns are full of battles for me as well.

This is a really nasty bug. I hope it gets fixed soon.
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,165
    ME is "playtested".
    Thrones of Britannia: 69/100
    Warhammer II: 73/100
    Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100 [Age of Charlemagne: 72/100]
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100 [Fall of the Samurai: 95/100]
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100 [Kingdoms: 90/100]
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,656
    "The **** out of it."
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 19,706
    Let's contribute to information on the bug or just not comment. Thanks.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,165
    dge1 said:

Let's contribute to information on the bug or just not comment. Thanks.

I posted specifically to bring the thread back up to the top in order to make sure that everyone knew. I don't really think there is more information to add other than the bug is here. Not trying to sass or anything, but there just isn't anything to add other than generic banter and discussion.
    Thrones of Britannia: 69/100
    Warhammer II: 73/100
    Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100 [Age of Charlemagne: 72/100]
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100 [Fall of the Samurai: 95/100]
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100 [Kingdoms: 90/100]
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,656
    I'm glad you did @MrJade I was going to try a white dwarf campaign tomorrow.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • washimarawashimara Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    I just played for a few hours, and wasn't aware of this bug, and it happened to me, was forced to delete it, removed all the mods, started new campaign, and I noticed that when I choose any Ancestral power, it always chooses the grimdal strength one, despite me choosing any of the 4. After that, it UI does not show that power, and there is great change when some event pop up, it won't let you continue.

I saw this thread been open few days ago, so I hope this is something that will be fixed soon.
  • tuna86tuna86 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Just experienced the bug right now....Hoping there will be a fix soon. Reloading old saves does not help, am stuck like everyone else is describing.

• CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 1,832
    I had this a few days ago. Grom in ME, unable to clear a dialogue box that didn't exist.

I saved as a new version and restarted steam and game. It seemed to have fixed itself so far. I am at turn 76.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 2,706
    42konyo said:

Pocman said:

ffs the guy even links to his bug report in the support section, was it really that much effort to click the links before shitposting?

Sorry :( Didn't even realise the links were there.
  • ThomacThomac Registered Users Posts: 8
    edited January 2018
    Reload a save (between 2 and 4 turns before the bug occured), seems to fix it (until the next Grombrindal event). Also, in late game, the bug seems to have disappear for me. It's a pain in the ass but when you have a 40h+ campaign, having to restart everything is worst for me.
    Thomac said:

Reload a save (between 2 and 4 turns before the bug occured), seems to fix it (until the next Grombrindal event). Also, in late game, the bug seems to have disappear for me. It's a pain in the ass but when you have a 40h+ campaign, having to restart everything is worst for me.

That seems to have worked for some, but didn't work for myself and others, with the bug simply popping up again when the event comes around. Sadly, that killed my 54 turn, 30+ hour campaign dead.

:(
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 3,684
    The research option, Grugni's apprentice, works ok. Its just the other two (Grimnir and Valaya) that default to Grombrindal's fury.