Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ogres - The Great Maw

TheImp22TheImp22 Posts: 287Registered Users
My question is simple... What is that thing ?!

A daemon ? A giant Tyranid ? Have GW said something about it ?

You can't possibly comprehend the level of heresy I operate at!

Comments

• TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 10,354Registered Users
    A Comet that hit the plains and that was transformed into the Great Maw Proper by Ogre Belief imho
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,443Registered Users
    its a giant hole (made by the comet TGOM describes) that stares back at the soul of the orges
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • MrMecHMrMecH Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    The god that birth from Ogre misunderstanding.
    SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 17,222Registered Users
    Cathay tried to cull the Ogres because they were getting too numerous, hence they launched this comet. Fail.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • TheImp22TheImp22 Posts: 287Registered Users
    edited December 2017

A Comet that hit the plains and that was transformed into the Great Maw Proper by Ogre Belief imho

SiWI said:

its a giant hole (made by the comet TGOM describes) that stares back at the soul of the orges

But is it even alive ? Or is just a giant hole with stones that look like teeth ? I read the wiki and it gave me the impression that it is alive.

"From information gathered by Ogre witnesses during that time, the Great Maw is described as a gaping mouth of razor-sharp teeth, where an endless chasm lay at the very center of the pit where some say he has burrowed deep into the core of the earth, continously eating until it finally reached the other side of the world.

Scholars however believed that the Great Maw was not a deity at all, but just a simple meterorite of great size that hit the Ogres original homeland. It is theorized by scholars that due to the Ogre's small brain, and extreme tendency to over-exaggerate things, the Ogre's believed the comet was a vengeful god-like being who ate the Ogre race and their lands as punishment for their sins. Scholars also theorized that when it hit, the force of the impact was so devastating that the crater itself was miles long, and the impacting force made many rock formations to spike out in the outer rim of the crater, creating the illusion of a massive gaping maw. It is also speculated however that due to the Ogres constant worship of this deity, this god has manifested within the Warp itself, as evident for the Ogres unique use of "Gut Magic". Now it is the main diety being worshiped in the Mountains of Mourn
    ."

• baronblackbaronblack Posts: 3,202Registered Users
    It is a very big Casandora comet launched by the Dragon Emperor Astromancers.
    The Ogre Belief made it as it is today. Also, in the Great Ocean, it is said that there is a giant maelstrom which is said to be the opposite of the Great Maw, as like the comet punched badly the planet and give him two giant malevolent holes.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 10,354Registered Users
    TheImp22 said:

SiWI said:

But is it even alive ? Or is just a giant hole with stones that look like teeth ? I read the wiki and it gave me the impression that it is alive.

As i said: Great Maw Proper... so yes... it is alive
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!
  • corvocorvo Junior Member SpainPosts: 3,040Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    TheImp22 said:

In warhammer 40k, the lore sometimes describes how the collective belief in a supposed god ends up creating that god. (especially when they have psychic energy, and even if they do not know they have this psychic energy).

There is no information that confirms what I said in Fantasy, but apparently it is the same, a strong collective belief can unconsciously manipulate the winds of magic and the energy of chaos creating manifestations of the supposed "gods" like the foot of gorko or morko.

So I like to think that the giant hole left by the comet which ogres prays, plus the colective creed, plus the winds of magic, plus warpstone (there is always warpstone in a good story) created some kind of minor god. but not in the way like... a living creature, is just a hole with pointy rocks, what is alive are the energies (or the god) in that place, somehow it has the souls of all ogres tied and inevitably attracts them there at least sometime in their lifes.

Team Skavens

"Brother Skavens! Consider this... Until the coming of Vermek Skab, the Council of Thirteen placed me in command of this army"
    - Grey Seer Thanquol, ruthlessly taking command of the Nuln Invasion force
  • TotalBorehammerTotalBorehammer Posts: 885Registered Users
    TheImp22 said:

You really can't Google? http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Maw
    CA have a Facebook page... use the comments section of their posts and express your thoughts on ME poor quality/delays etc https://www.facebook.com/CreativeAssembly/ :)
  • SchwarzhelmSchwarzhelm Posts: 930Registered Users
    Richdog said:

TheImp22 said:

You really can't Google? http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Maw
    Why google when you can have a nice and interesting discussion on this site?
    You know...using this site how it is intended?
  • Wargol5Wargol5 Posts: 1,290Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    Something came to my mind... since the Great Maw is a mouth, then the opposite orifice in the maelstrom should be... an **** :grimace:
  • PocmanPocman Posts: 2,382Registered Users
    As most gods in Warhammer, its a manifestation of the collective psyche of the believers.

So, basically, the ogres got so afraid at seeing the comet/crater that started praying, and their praying created a god, which behaves as the ogres think it would behave.

• TheImp22TheImp22 Posts: 287Registered Users
    Thanks to all of you! I thought it was some kind of space parasite that looks like a Sarlacc Pit from Star Wars that settled there and was worshipped by the ogres.

• PocmanPocman Posts: 2,382Registered Users
    TheImp22 said:

Thanks to all of you! I thought it was some kind of space parasite that looks like a Sarlacc Pit from Star Wars that settled there and was worshipped by the ogres.

It probably is: probably all that praying, adoration and reverence has affected it in some way or another. it probably isn't a simple crater any longer.
  • JachymulusJachymulus Posts: 228Registered Users
    i think it is alive. It is just big hole with teeth and tentacles and a lot of chaos corruption everywhere. Thats my impression from reading the wiki
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 2,047Registered Users
    Well CA has certainly gone with the Giant Mouth take, that's for sure. There's a random event about mages dabbling in Ogre gut magic and meeting a ghastly end by accidentally summoning it.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed

It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
  • mw51630mw51630 Member Posts: 1,593Registered Users
    I like the idea that it’s a tyranid. Makes no sense, but I like it.
  • ZerglesZergles Member Posts: 3,011Registered Users

The Ogre Belief made it as it is today. Also, in the Great Ocean, it is said that there is a giant maelstrom which is said to be the opposite of the Great Maw, as like the comet punched badly the planet and give him two giant malevolent holes.

The Great Maw...

And the Gaping Anus. Who worships the latter?
  • KopeshKopesh Member Posts: 537Registered Users
    Zergles said:

The Great Maw...

And the Gaping Anus. Who worships the latter?
    You know, there was always these hints about an ugly fish-people in the lore... :p