Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Is total Christmas day 3 an indication for the next big historical title?

JacklessJackless Junior MemberPosts: 281Registered Users
Here is the link.
https://dashboard.totalwar.com/home/christmas

To me this looks like some asian "painting" similiar to those of shogun2.
Could the next big historical title really be set in Asia? Many have asked for a game set in China for a long time.

I personnally hoped for a pike & shot era game and i dont know what this short video is intended to tell us!?

Any ideas?
Tagged:

Comments

• IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Posts: 598Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    1) Shogun 2 dlc (unlikely)

2) Total war arena East Asian faction

3) Cathay for Warhammer (unlikely)

4) Next big main historical game is in East Asia/China. (seems a bit early for this reveal given Saga TOB just got revealed)

And a game in East Asia/China could also have pike and shot. Chinese kingdoms were using pike and musket formations during Shogun 2's timeframe and were using pike and crossbow formations (similar to early European pike n shot) during the time of the Roman antiquity since 400BC.
    Post edited by Intranetusa on
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 9,725Registered Users
    For me, if its about the next big historical game, then it is china.

Some of the blog updates of CA in terms of "what the teams are working on?" sounded already "Chinese" with emphasis of characters and animations.

The other big contender in my eyes, TW Victoria, doesn't necessary scream "characters and animations" to me.
    Thou in theory a TW Victoria still could have China on the map...
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • JacklessJackless Junior Member Posts: 281Registered Users
    Well the 30 years war definitively had some very big characters to make a game about.
    Animations for cannons, big pike formations, muketeers in countermarch and currassiers doing a caracole attack would also be impressive to look at i guess.

The biggest evidence for a chinese tw is still this short video imo.
    I think that fancy kung fuish attack animations are more what we are talking about when CA say things like that.

the 30 year war, and its comrades, are probably get covered someday, but I'm unsure if its a major TW title or a Saga game or "Attila" like game or big DLC to M3.
    edited December 2017
    SiWI said:

I think that fancy kung fuish attack animations are more what we are talking about when CA say things like that.

the 30 year war, and its comrades, are probably get covered someday, but I'm unsure if its a major TW title or a Saga game or "Attila" like game or big DLC to M3.

Hm do you think CA would go for such over the top combat in a historical game?

Well whatever it will be i really hope we get a proper pike & shot game at some point.
    Jackless said:

SiWI said:

Well whatever it will be i really hope we get a proper pike & shot game at some point.
    I hope not, but it wouldn't be impossible at least for some of the animation to go more "style over practically"
    Unfortunately no one of the CA moderators made any comment about it.
    Maybe it is even something completely different.
    edited December 2017
    Jackless said:

Well the 30 years war definitively had some very big characters to make a game about.
    Animations for cannons, big pike formations, muketeers in countermarch and currassiers doing a caracole attack would also be impressive to look at i guess.

European Pike and shot wouldn't be a new game/new era that CA promised. MTW2 + expansions goes into the 1500s and late game MTW2 units were basically pike and shot units...and MTW2 has all the animations for musketeers, pike formations, cannons, etc.

The majority of the P&S timeframe (1400s-1600s) have already been covered by previous games and P&S takes place primarily in Europe too. So neither the timeframe nor geography (Europe) would be "new" if they did a Pike and Shot game.

If they focused on the height of the P&S era (1600s), then that would be a new timeframe, but it would be a narrower scope game that fits a SAGA game better than a main historical game.

edited December 2017
    SiWI said:

Jackless said:

SiWI said:

I hope not, but it wouldn't be impossible at least for some of the animation to go more "style over practically"
    If they focus a lot on characters and style for the next main game, then they're probably doing a Three Kingdoms era game set during the fall of the Han Dynasty in China.

If they're doing Chinese antiquity, I'd personally prefer they do the rise and expansion of the Han Dynasty because we'd get more factions and more types of warfare/units. You'd have different types of units such as pike and shot (crossbow) formations, mixed unit formations, halberd pike & infantry, many types of chariots, mounted infantry/dragoons, volley fire/crossbow firing lines, crossbow cavalry, etc with many different factions in a map stretching from the Japanese tribes to the nomadic tribes of the steppes to Greek & Persian kingdoms of the Middle East.

Jackless said:

European Pike and shot wouldn't be a new game/new era that CA promised. MTW2 + expansions goes into the 1500s and late game MTW2 units were basically pike and shot units...and MTW2 has all the animations for musketeers, pike formations, cannons, etc.

The majority of the P&S timeframe (1400s-1600s) have already been covered by previous games and P&S takes place primarily in Europe too. So neither the timeframe nor geography (Europe) would be "new" if they did a Pike and Shot game.

If they focused on the height of the P&S era (1600s), then that would be a new timeframe, but it would be a narrower scope game that fits a SAGA game better than a main historical game.

Well when they take the 30 years war as a setting for the new title it would definitively be an era they havent touched before. Medieval2 ended a hundred years before it and Empire started half a century after it.

And just because Med2 had the animations doesnt mean that they dont need to make new ones, especially if you take into account that most of the old animations were bugged like the countermarch for example.

Between Medieval 2 and Empire is still a 150 to 200 year gap that would be sufficent time for a standalone title. Especially if they go for 4 turns per year.
    edited December 2017
    Jackless said:

Well when they take the 30 years war as a setting for the new title it would definitively be an era they havent touched before. Medieval2 ended a hundred years before it and Empire started half a century after it.

And just because Med2 had the animations doesnt mean that they dont need to make new ones, especially if you take into account that most of the old animations were bugged like the countermarch for example.

Between Medieval 2 and Empire is still a 150 to 200 year gap that would be sufficent time for a standalone title. Especially if they go for 4 turns per year.

Yes, the 30 years war is during the 1600s as I mentioned. It's a 150 year gap max if we say MTW2 ends in 1550 and Empire starts in 1700. It's better as a Saga game as this region and style of warfare has been covered by previous games (they should wait several years at least if they want to make this a full game). I mentioned animations because you said pikes, canons, etc have impressive animations. We've had pike, canon, musketeer, etc animations in Shogun2, MTW2, Rtw2, Attila, empire tw, Napoleon tw, etc
    Post edited by Intranetusa on

Jackless said:

Yes, the 30 years war is during the 1600s as I mentioned. It's a 150 year gap max if we say MTW2 ends in 1550 and Empire starts in 1700. It's better as a Saga game as this region and style of warfare has been covered by previous games (they should wait several years at least if they want to make this a full game). I mentioned animations because you said pikes, canons, etc have impressive animations. We've had pike, canon, musketeer, etc animations in Shogun2, MTW2, Rtw2, Attila, empire tw, Napoleon tw, etc
    Well to say this style of warfare has been covered is a bold statement. Empire skipped it, Shogun 2 only had a few units with arqebuses and in Medieval 2 Pike and muskets were mostly bugged and you ended your campaign most of the time before ever reaching this period.

If they could make a full game out of the Songoku Period then they can definitively make one based the 30 years war and beyond. This period featured so many technological and military advancements to make a really cool game out of it.

But we will see. Im not buying a Total War Game solely for the period it covers.
    If they make a good Asian centered game i will buy it anyways^^
    Well the end game army of spain in M2 was practically identical to what you would see in the 30 year war.
    Empire had starting units like pikes.

Still I would argue that the statement "not covered before" shouldn't be viewed too strickly, since that would ban almost everything...
    19th century? "covered" by Napoleon and FotS
    Chinas ages were "covered" as well.

So yeah I wouldn't go too broadly with the definition, but rather with what the "core" of the "era" (geographic make also new "era's") was.
    Medieval 2 was the medieval age, in europe+middle east+Mediterranean, not early modern/Renaissance
    Napoleon was the "Napoleonic age" not "Victoria".
    ect. ect.