Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

My ideal unit types for Thrones of Britannia.

2»

Comments

• daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,243Registered Users
    "Mixed weapons" need to be defined clearly. We talking units that effectively negate the concept of Rock Paper Scissors, or entirely aesthetic?

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • Nortrix87Nortrix87 Senior Member Posts: 991Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    Dubble post.
    Post edited by Nortrix87 on
    "We men are the monsters now. The time of heroes is dead, Wiglaf - the Christ God has killed it, leaving humankind with nothing but weeping martyrs, fear, and shame."

- Beowulf
    daelin4 said:

"Mixed weapons" need to be defined clearly. We talking units that effectively negate the concept of Rock Paper Scissors, or entirely aesthetic?

For example different modes:

Charge mode:

Two handed axes in unit move to the front followed by other wepons. All in wedge formation.

Shieldwall vs infantry mode:

Shieldwall with one handed short weapons like one-handed axes and seax is used infront, followed with spears behind.

Skjoldborg/shieldcastle vs archers mode:

This either protecting in a line for the front and above or in a circle for all directions.

Defence against cavalry mode:

Shieldwall with spears in-front and if possible two handed axes swung in 8 circle loose formation in-front of the wall like at the battle of Hastings.

Something like this. Depending on mode the weapon order in the unit is chosen. This could be simplified or made more detailed depending on the work i guess.

"We men are the monsters now. The time of heroes is dead, Wiglaf - the Christ God has killed it, leaving humankind with nothing but weeping martyrs, fear, and shame."

- Beowulf
  • HrafnHrafn Posts: 305Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    FFS, there should be no "rock, paper, scissors"! That concept doesn't belong in the game game to begin with.

Sure, some units should be good against certain others, but CA have taken it way to far in past titles. In current games, deployment matters little so long as you mash the right unit up against the right other, no matter how well deployed the target is.
    edited December 2017
    Hrafn said:

FFS, there should be no "rock, paper, scissors"! That concept doesn't belong in the game game to begin with.

Sure, some units should be good against certain others, but CA have taken it way to far in past titles. In current games, deployment matters little so long as you mash the right unit up against the right other, no matter how well deployed the target is.

Agreed

Unit quality > unit type.

However, does not a pure sword unit feel non historical? Not like different clans muster together under a warlord in matching equipment like some roman cohort.

- Beowulf
    Nortrix87 said:

daelin4 said:

For example different modes:

Charge mode:

Two handed axes in unit move to the front followed by other wepons. All in wedge formation.

Shieldwall vs infantry mode:

Shieldwall with one handed short weapons like one-handed axes and seax is used infront, followed with spears behind.

Skjoldborg/shieldcastle vs archers mode:

This either protecting in a line for the front and above or in a circle for all directions.

Defence against cavalry mode:

Shieldwall with spears in-front and if possible two handed axes swung in 8 circle loose formation in-front of the wall like at the battle of Hastings.

Something like this. Depending on mode the weapon order in the unit is chosen. This could be simplified or made more detailed depending on the work i guess.

This is fine as long as these modes aren't found in a single unit. Otherwise you not only defeat the purpose of getting a unit roster beyond like five units, but also means that battles are boring because you do not need to worry about more than two-three unit types at any time.
    Game's not going to be any easier on the AI who probably wouldn't have a clue what mode does what, as we've seen in so many past TW titles.

Besides what you want is already accomplished if you simply tell some units to move forward ahead of others, so I don't see the purpose in making it even easier through fewer clicks of a button and managing one unit instead of like four. And before you say "unit behaviour sucks", the same applies to AI if you made modes, too.

Now if it's a unit that has just spears and swords that's okay, as that allows two combinations that still requires numerous subtypes to fill gaps. The shieldwall vs infantry and charge mode, for instance, is possible because warriors wielding twohanded axes can still carry swords and a shield. This still puts them into the anti-infantry role.
    Once you do things like charge mode with axes and turn to spear shieldwall in case cavalry comes in, then that just means you got one infantry unit to fill every melee mode.

• riadachriadach Posts: 161Registered Users
    I think they'd want to avoid made up Irish terms.

I do think they should have Irish slingers or perhaps even staff-slingers. Javelin cavalry might also be an idea for the Irish.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,905Registered Users
    riadach said:

I think they'd want to avoid made up Irish terms.

I do think they should have Irish slingers or perhaps even staff-slingers. Javelin cavalry might also be an idea for the Irish.

Pretty sure all the factions are going to be having Javelin cav based on yesterdays FAQ.
  • kinjokinjo Senior Member Posts: 1,610Registered Users
    If any bodyguard units are mounted there should be an option to dismount them during sieges. If there is not a dismount ability they should be kept as infantry imo.
  • ErminazErminaz Senior Member Las Vegas, Nevada, USAPosts: 5,559Registered Users
    kinjo said:

If any bodyguard units are mounted there should be an option to dismount them during sieges. If there is not a dismount ability they should be kept as infantry imo.

I hope that the dismount option makes a return, I really hate that it was cut from Warhammer.
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
  • kinjokinjo Senior Member Posts: 1,610Registered Users
    Indeed it makes for a more epic last stand when trying to defend especially if you are fighting lots of spearmen, in that case cavalry would just be shredded.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,899Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2017
    kinjo said:

This has been needed since the beginning. In a siege defense, especially where walls are involved, cavalry units that can't dismount are very close to being absolutely useless.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    Well besides the unconvincing "dragoons make these infantry units move faster on campaign map/ battle mode" feature, the only other way to portray mounted infantry is to, you know, have them able to ride around and unhorse to engage.

• riadachriadach Posts: 161Registered Users

Slingers (Maiobhanaghta)
    Javelins (Ceitherne)
    Hunters (Fiagania)
    Archers (Arwrweision)

Those words are made up (with the exception of Ceithern).