Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Thrones of Britannia - King Alfred the Great Poster and Bio

CA_WhelanCA_Whelan Posts: 681Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, Community Team
edited February 2018 in General Discussion

The youngest son of King Æthelwulf, Alfred of Wessex is more famously known as 'Alfred the Great' for his legendary will to survive and unite the isles under one banner.

Learn more about King Alfred The Great from A Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia and download the full res poster here: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/alfred-the-great
Post edited by Grace_CA on

Comments

• MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,433Registered Users
    Sets things up nicely. I really must get around to reading my biography of Alfred. Just finished an excellent one on Athelstan.

While a Wessex-man myself, and therefore my first campaign is easy to choose, I am looking forward to finding out the other 9 playable factions. And their unit rosters!

I hope there's some sign of Wessex's golden Wyvern in game, too.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • ShadowtwinzShadowtwinz Posts: 57Registered Users
    Can we get blog about Game mechanics ? Whats changed and what's kept from attila.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,228Registered Users
    Finally some news! Hopefully we can start seeing some screenshots soon :smile:
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    I see your art team decided to tone down the blusher a bit compared to this well-known likeness of him:

:kissing_closed_eyes: :kissing_closed_eyes: :kissing_closed_eyes:
    Alas, the only thing we really know about Alfred's appearance was that he was unbearded. At least, he was on his coins.
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKPosts: 1,346Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    Mattzo said:

Alas, the only thing we really know about Alfred's appearance was that he was unbearded. At least, he was on his coins.

All Anglo-saxon coins that show kings show them unbearded as they copied Roman style coins and those of the Franks (which were also inspired by Roman coins). I wouldn't take them as any kind of an accurate depiction of the kings under whose authority they were minted.
    Game Director - Thrones of Britannia

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Mattzo said:

All Anglo-saxon coins that show kings show them unbearded as they copied Roman style coins and those of the Franks (which were also inspired by Roman coins). I wouldn't take them as any kind of an accurate depiction of the kings under whose authority they were minted.
    Ah, I didn't know that. My knowledge of appearances on coins is rather limited to knowing that Hadrian set a trend by having a beard on his coins when previous Emperors did not.

I wonder when the clergy started being clean shaven. I was reading a book on 14th century England and it was taking about how clergy tended to shave every two weeks as well as having the infamous tonsure. Could appearing clean shaven on coins be related to appearing pious at all? Or even actually being pious, in some cases? Just musing really.
  • JacklessJackless Junior Member Posts: 281Registered Users

Can we get blog about Game mechanics ? Whats changed and what's kept from attila.

Yes that would be awesome!
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 3,130Registered Users
    edited January 2018

Mattzo said:

Exactly, but your king Alfred still looks off.

@Jack_Lusted_CA W all already know this is what Alfred looks like.

• SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 685Registered Users
    What's so cool about his setting is that the armies will actually be comparable in size to what they were at that time. One thousand maybe two thousand soldiers per army, at best.

When playing with other TW titles like say, Rome 2, there's this dissonance because the armies are very small comparable to what they generally were in that era. And this problem is only compounded even more when playing something like Empire or Napoleon. Battle of Leipzig with only 2 thousand soldiers, I mean come on. :D

This is why I personally think a Victoria Total War or a WW1 Total War, would not be a very good idea. Who would want to invade France with a few thousand Prussians in 1870? Or fight the Battle of the Somme with three thousand soldiers?
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 9,892Registered Users
    Suliot said:

What's so cool about his setting is that the armies will actually be comparable in size to what they were at that time. One thousand maybe two thousand soldiers per army, at best.

When playing with other TW titles like say, Rome 2, there's this dissonance because the armies are very small comparable to what they generally were in that era. And this problem is only compounded even more when playing something like Empire or Napoleon. Battle of Leipzig with only 2 thousand soldiers, I mean come on. :D

This is why I personally think a Victoria Total War or a WW1 Total War, would not be a very good idea. Who would want to invade France with a few thousand Prussians in 1870? Or fight the Battle of the Somme with three thousand soldiers?

WW1 wouldn't even work properly... while there had been great attacks, the units themselves would be small squads, all in loose formation
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?
  • kinjokinjo Senior Member Posts: 1,610Registered Users
    His model looks pretty awesome, really like the Crown!
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,590Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    Will it going to be;

-2 anglo-saxon
    -2 viking
    -2 wales
    -2 Scots
    -2 Irish

How about dlc?