Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Naval units

EXCELLIONEXCELLION Junior MemberPosts: 13Registered Users
Hello, long time fan of the TW series here, specially the naval portions of the game. My question is will this game contain fully simulated naval combat?. Longships would be cool to command in battle.

Comments

• TheGhostOfProman16TheGhostOfProman16 Senior Member Posts: 1,749Registered Users
    Attila had it so I don't see why this game wouldn't
    Died during the great YOYO wars
  • AxelradAxelrad Senior Member Posts: 632Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    I think it's safe to assume it will. All the historical titles since Empire have. Warhammer doesn't, but that's a bit more complicated and shouldn't factor into historical stuff.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 2,516Registered Users
    Yeah, supposedly Warhammer didn't naval battles because there was a licensing conflict with another Warhammer game,"Man o' War: Corsair" which was developed by another studio. That's why we didn't have any naval units at all, or "auto-resolve only" naval battles like in Medieval 2.

Should be reasonably safe to assume there will be playable naval battles in Thrones of Britannia, although to what extent is anyone's guess.
  • mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,227Moderators
    Hopefully. A massive longboat battle would be the stuff of legends.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 2,009Registered Users
    It's got to have naval battles, come on now.
  • Nortrix87Nortrix87 Senior Member Posts: 991Registered Users
    Abit worried here as Vikings ships generally has bin given to any "barbarian" the last games. Gonna look like viking civil war on the seas.
    "We men are the monsters now. The time of heroes is dead, Wiglaf - the Christ God has killed it, leaving humankind with nothing but weeping martyrs, fear, and shame."

- Beowulf
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,606Registered Users
    Naval Battles?

• daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,235Registered Users
    I don't see the point. How often will we be building ships to go find and attack other fleets? The map is only Britain, isn't it?

I prefer if the game is focused on the land battles.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • kinjokinjo Senior Member Posts: 1,610Registered Users
    With the map as big as it is we will probably have some degree of navigable rivers and of course all of the smaller Islands. It definitely should have both since the ships will be one of the strength of the Viking settler factions. I got broad real quick with Warhammer only having land battles and to be honest pretty sick of it. I would like some changes for sure to make them more useful. Here are some of the features I would like to see-

-Navies should have a replenish aura around them to support land armies i.e. ferry fresh troop to support the land army.
    -Large coastal and river reinforcement range so navies can support land armies in battle.
    -Large movement range compared to transport ships.
    -Land battles on the sea with the ability to tie ships together to create floating islands
    -Making raiding worth while for example if there is an abbey with in the raiding zone they get a boost to raiding income.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,606Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    In the trailer, there had been ships that were shown.

Post edited by jamreal18 on
    Ship were shown in MTW2 battle maps, and that game had distinct naval units, yet no naval battles.

• kinjokinjo Senior Member Posts: 1,610Registered Users
    That would be a huge step backwards, the Attila code base already has naval warfare and great water physics.
    kinjo said:

With the map as big as it is we will probably have some degree of navigable rivers and of course all of the smaller Islands. It definitely should have both since the ships will be one of the strength of the Viking settler factions. I got broad real quick with Warhammer only having land battles and to be honest pretty sick of it. I would like some changes for sure to make them more useful. Here are some of the features I would like to see-

-Navies should have a replenish aura around them to support land armies i.e. ferry fresh troop to support the land army.
    -Large coastal and river reinforcement range so navies can support land armies in battle.
    -Large movement range compared to transport ships.
    -Land battles on the sea with the ability to tie ships together to create floating islands
    -Making raiding worth while for example if there is an abbey with in the raiding zone they get a boost to raiding income.

Good ideas
    jamreal18 said:

Naval Battles?

raid the coast!
  • CormacSVKCormacSVK Junior Member Posts: 69Registered Users
    I really do hope for fleshed out naval battless. And i hope that at least the norse ships will be divided to many different kinds like snekja, skeid, knorr, etc.. The entire setting was awesome in M&B.

I really don'understand why would anyone seriously like less features than in previous game, it's bad enough that I don't have naval battles in warhammer, now some people would like to strip us fron this pleasure in historical titles?

Naval battles is a must, if you don't like it Daelin, then ignore the naval battles. Don't ask for less features.
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users
    daelin4 said:

I don't see the point. How often will we be building ships to go find and attack other fleets? The map is only Britain, isn't it?

I prefer if the game is focused on the land battles.

'British Isles' I believe - so you have Ireland, and the sea in between Britain and Ireland, and numerous sizable Islands around the coasts. 'Britain is an island,' as the saying goes, and so I don't think you can avoid a substantial naval component to the game.

In order to make the east coast more interesting, I could even see events triggering viking reinforcements on the eastern edge of the map.
    Hardly justifies making a different type of battle mode. They didn't for three campaigns lately: Games 1, 2, and Mortal Empires. As a smaller stand alone title I doubt they'd bother for a map that has even LESS water.

Ships were used for trade and transport anyways, hardly the sort to do battle in. Do we even have any accounts of actual naval battles in this general period? And regarding Vikings/ around Britain?

• tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users
    It's a sequel to R2 and Attila, both of which have them. WH is a separate set of games on a different 'track' from the historical titles, so I wouldn't take them as precedent.

And when I was poking around for history on the period, I did run across several accounts of naval warfare, including a reference to Alfred building ships that borrowed elements of Roman war ship design, and some discussion of how they performed in battle.
    edited December 2017
    By that logic, Roman legions ought to be in the game since both have them as well.
    Even from a practical view that doesn't make sense.

I also don't consider this game a "sequel" to the other two, unless the connection is as vague as Rome2 was a sequel to RTW.

• AlexandroAlexandro Senior Member Zu Lai Temple againPosts: 1,404Registered Users
    Could new waves o invasions occur in areas occupied by established Nords?
    Invaders being invaded (historical context).
  • Nortrix87Nortrix87 Senior Member Posts: 991Registered Users
    Wil the Irish, picts etc have the Currach?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currach

Or wil they be given Viking ships...

"We men are the monsters now. The time of heroes is dead, Wiglaf - the Christ God has killed it, leaving humankind with nothing but weeping martyrs, fear, and shame."

- Beowulf