Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Tomb Kings Legendary Lords Start Positions

13»

Comments

• crazycrixcrazycrix Registered Users Posts: 400

crazycrix said:

Khalida in Lustria? Khatep in Naggarond?

What now? Tomb Kings were never there! WTF?

I generally agree to some decree of lorebreaking if it supports gameplay, but Naggaroth? Really?

I hope at least ME startpos's will make some sense...

Well not much to do about that to be honest. And while you're right to say they were never there, they can always excuse it through the gameplay. Though so far in Naggaroth is weird indeed. But other than that, it should be fine.

It also seems that Araby can still fit in there, what do you think guys?
    Depends :smile: will we get DoW? Will they have 4 LLs? If they had 4ll, where would they start? There is Sartosa, Colonies and Sudenburg so there needs to be new additional land for them. This leaves us with only Coast of Araby, but they can create an additional place somewhere else. Remember we have Tomb Kings in Naggaroth so we can have Araby somewhere else. So yes I think that Araby with 2 LLs and DoW with 4 LLs still can fit in
    Well depends if it's TEB/DoW. I think 3 LLs are probably the most likely and the places are already there in both Vortex and ME (New World Colonies like Santa Magritta and perhaps another place on the map like they did with Khalida etc.) so I don't think they would be conflicting with Araby.

If anything Araby might get the Empire treatment and all the LLs will be starting from 1 area.
    I don't think they will return to the one start position option but who knows :smile: I said that because I think that one of the LL's might start in Sudenburg in Vortex Campaign (This faction is considered to be Southern Realms and doesn't act like a empire subfaction) and that takes El-Kalabad out of the possible location for Araby LL. This leaves Araby with only one possible position in Araby and that is Al-Haikk. Still, as I said before the other LL might start somewhere else, so I loose no faith and I cannot wait to see Araby in full strength.

We Do Not Serve, We Rule!
  • ArstellandaArstellanda Registered Users Posts: 341
    crazycrix said:

crazycrix said:

I generally agree to some decree of lorebreaking if it supports gameplay, but Naggaroth? Really?

Well not much to do about that to be honest. And while you're right to say they were never there, they can always excuse it through the gameplay. Though so far in Naggaroth is weird indeed. But other than that, it should be fine.

Depends :smile: will we get DoW? Will they have 4 LLs? If they had 4ll, where would they start? There is Sartosa, Colonies and Sudenburg so there needs to be new additional land for them. This leaves us with only Coast of Araby, but they can create an additional place somewhere else. Remember we have Tomb Kings in Naggaroth so we can have Araby somewhere else. So yes I think that Araby with 2 LLs and DoW with 4 LLs still can fit in
    Well depends if it's TEB/DoW. I think 3 LLs are probably the most likely and the places are already there in both Vortex and ME (New World Colonies like Santa Magritta and perhaps another place on the map like they did with Khalida etc.) so I don't think they would be conflicting with Araby.

If anything Araby might get the Empire treatment and all the LLs will be starting from 1 area.
    I don't think they will return to the one start position option but who knows :smile: I said that because I think that one of the LL's might start in Sudenburg in Vortex Campaign (This faction is considered to be Southern Realms and doesn't act like a empire subfaction) and that takes El-Kalabad out of the possible location for Araby LL. This leaves Araby with only one possible position in Araby and that is Al-Haikk. Still, as I said before the other LL might start somewhere else, so I loose no faith and I cannot wait to see Araby in full strength.
    Well, as of now the only minors they can feasibly add for full DLCs are TEB/DoW + Araby. So at least we have a very high chance (compared to the other minors) that in TWW2 we get them, and hopefully we do.
  • VonhellstingVonhellsting Registered Users Posts: 605
    edited January 2018
    Red_Dox said:

So Clan rictus still top secret? lol

-----Red Dox
    Would be neat if Tretch Craventail had multiple possible spawn locations that were chosen at random because he's so sneaky then you wouldn't know where Tretch Craventail was at the start just the way he likes it.
    Post edited by Vonhellsting on
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 17,707
    Settra has a real nice start position.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • LordSolarMachLordSolarMach Registered Users Posts: 201
    edited January 2018
    I did a quick and dirty version with the Skaven visible, if anyone's interested. (I find it helpful when trying to look at the map for possible future start positions.)

(Oh, and thank you for the updated map @CA_Whelan .)
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,112
    ...does anyone actually care where they start in Eye?

It's the ME startpos people want to know :P
  • Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Registered Users Posts: 3,372
    Itharus said:

Least until Norsca gets added in, i still enjoy Eye more then ME. The narrative, faction interactions, and more detailed map setting works for me. I've always preferred a narrative to empty sandbox though. Might not be alone in this.

Anywho the start positions are less of a lore thing and more of a gameplay feature for sure. It gives TK a presence on most every continent. Always in some of the least contested areas to provide a solid start. But close enough to other factions to plug up holes in the current expansion rhythem. With Khatep in the mountains of Naggaroth, the Dark Elves might actually break stride a bit. Skrolk might not own half of Lustria in 10 turns. And the ludicrously large Vampire Empires in the South Lands might be a bit more interactive then they currently are. Right now its just...secure Southern portion, crawl through the sands. 2 factions own the entire North part of the Southlands.

The one problem I have from a gameplay point of view is poor Teclis. Guy already had it rough, but now there is a major faction inhabiting the land he cant use just below his home turf. Used to be youd leave it alone and it would just kinda stay empty until skrolk did something with it. Now hes always going to have the TK knocking on his door.
  • HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Registered Users Posts: 2,545
    I bet Araby will get integrated in DoW with one LL bahahaha >:)>:)
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 17,707
    Itharus said:

I for one will be playing them in eye first.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 13,601

Itharus said:

I for one will be playing them in eye first.
    Faster end turns, so me too.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • NemoxNemox Registered Users Posts: 2,708
    Vortex currently is the better campaign, so yeah, same for me.
  • petertel123petertel123 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 756
    Far too many dark elf factions and too few lizardmen ones.
    And yeah, vortex is the only campaign in the game that's any fun at all, so I'll be playing that too.
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Dark Elves
  • Lord_XelosLord_Xelos Registered Users Posts: 1,806
    Currently only Vortex is playable. This is the only reason ME isn't prioritized by players yet. This will hopefully change after may update.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 7,550
    Itharus said:

Can't we want to know both? Although the reveal came a little late. I already knew where they all started from reading the forums and watching videos. But there are a fair few of us who enjoy the Vortex and will be starting with that more story driven campaign.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • LordSolarMachLordSolarMach Registered Users Posts: 201

The one problem I have from a gameplay point of view is poor Teclis. Guy already had it rough, but now there is a major faction inhabiting the land he cant use just below his home turf. Used to be youd leave it alone and it would just kinda stay empty until skrolk did something with it. Now hes always going to have the TK knocking on his door.

With enough influence and Gold to spend, she might be more of a powerful ally to watch your back.

The one problem I have from a gameplay point of view is poor Teclis. Guy already had it rough, but now there is a major faction inhabiting the land he cant use just his home turf. Used to be youd leave it alone and it would just kinda stay empty until skrolk did something with it. Now hes always going to have the TK knocking on his door.

With enough influence and Gold to spend, she might be more of a powerful ally to watch your back.
    I must be misremembering. I thought it was occupied by Lizards. Maybe it is because they were settled by Lizard's during my playthrough? I ended up razing the living balls out of it until I myself could spare the manpower to do something with it though. No reason one couldn't do the same with Khalida Hfuhruhurr and her minions.
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • baronblackbaronblack Registered Users Posts: 3,202
    crazycrix said:

crazycrix said:

Not at all. Sudenburg is strange at this moment. El-Kalabad can be a starting position with Sudenburg being the first main enemy. It happened with the Necrarchs, can happen again. Remember that one of the motif that Araby has is to fight itself and the Crusader's Remains. If we take account of 2nd and 8th edition together, this the "canon" situation:

-Al Haikk, Lashiek, Martek, Copher and El-Kalabad are the main Arabyan cities. These are the place for the Arabyans sultanates.

Al-Haikk: First starting position. Main Enemy: Knights of Origo
    El-Kalabad: second. Main Enemy: Sudenburg

Even Martek can be a starting position with the main enemy at start being the Dwarfs.
    There's still a lot of place.

• ElectorCountElectorCount Registered Users Posts: 80
    Honestly, as it stands, it seems safe to say absolutely nobody likes ME.
  • A_MushroomA_Mushroom Registered Users Posts: 278

I like ME.

Nah. I like it. That is not to say I Think it is anywhere near the quality of the Old World or the Vortex campaigns. Some aspects of it and some factions play rather well in ME. But in other parts it is a bit lacking. Some factions seem to be tacked on without nearly as much balancing as was seen in the Old World for example.
  • Nyanko73Nyanko73 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,351
    I like ME, even better than Vortex. The map is huge and it's nice to have all the factions on it.

Team Yennefer

"A blinding flash materialised into a transparent sphere, and inside it loomed a shape, assuming contours and shapes at frightening speed. Dandelion recognised it at once. He knew those wild, black curls and the obsidian star on a velvet ribbon. What he didn’t know and had never seen before was the face. It was a face of rage and fury, the face of the goddess of vengeance, destruction and death." - Time of contempt
  • crazycrixcrazycrix Registered Users Posts: 400

crazycrix said:

crazycrix said:

Not at all. Sudenburg is strange at this moment. El-Kalabad can be a starting position with Sudenburg being the first main enemy. It happened with the Necrarchs, can happen again. Remember that one of the motif that Araby has is to fight itself and the Crusader's Remains. If we take account of 2nd and 8th edition together, this the "canon" situation:

-Al Haikk, Lashiek, Martek, Copher and El-Kalabad are the main Arabyan cities. These are the place for the Arabyans sultanates.

Even Martek can be a starting position with the main enemy at start being the Dwarfs.

Yeah could be :smile: Still In my mind Sudenburg is one of the starting positions for Southern realms :smile: I want them to be 4 LLs dlc, coz they have an army book from 5th edition and were upgraded to 6th edition where they received their basic roster. So they need Sudenburg for themselves to have enough space for 4 LLs :smiley: . Still they may not even happen, coz they were not hinted at all. On the other hand we heard a lot of hints toward Araby.

We Do Not Serve, We Rule!
    crazycrix said:

crazycrix said:

crazycrix said:

Yeah could be :smile: Still In my mind Sudenburg is one of the starting positions for Southern realms :smile: I want them to be 4 LLs dlc, coz they have an army book from 5th edition and were upgraded to 6th edition where they received their basic roster. So they need Sudenburg for themselves to have enough space for 4 LLs :smiley: . Still they may not even happen, coz they were not hinted at all. On the other hand we heard a lot of hints toward Araby.
    4 LLs are too much, they are not a major power in this game, but they are in WH1. I think that Race Packs will be good for DoW representation in WH2. Two LLs are sufficient.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,460
    edited January 2018
    crazycrix said:

crazycrix said:

crazycrix said:

Sudenburg is AN IMPERIAL COLONY, despite what the Game says!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!

crazycrix said:

crazycrix said:

crazycrix said:

Sudenburg is AN IMPERIAL COLONY, despite what the Game says!

It is like they, knowing them as placeholder/starting enemy, wanted to work the less possible and they just put Southern Realms group right there instead of redoing the Imperial sub-culture. They overstepped on the lore just for development reason I think @TheGuardianOfMetal
  • ArstellandaArstellanda Registered Users Posts: 341

crazycrix said:

crazycrix said:

crazycrix said:

4 LLs are too much, they are not a major power in this game, but they are in WH1. I think that Race Packs will be good for DoW representation in WH2. Two LLs are sufficient.
    While yes Sudenburg is Imperial, and it's part of the Southern Realms for gameplay reasons, I think 2-3 is the most likely situation for Tilea (or Estalia if they decided to include it too, hopefully) with overlapping DoW units as their armies and some unique units specific for Tilea + Estalia if they go down that route. But I think that if they give the choice for an additional army of horde DoWs, then 3 LLs would be nice.

@crazycrix while it might not be "THE" hint, at the very least Tilea has more in terms of hints anyway because of the 10 slot city, and the unique Southern Realms path for buildings. They have more going for them in general than say, the Vampire Coast or even Araby.

With that being said, I agree that Araby can definitely start somewhere else too... after all they did move the starting positions for multiple races anyway, so I don't think it could be too much of a stretch as long as they keep it in the Southlands. Meanwhile TEB/DoW can start from Santa Magritta or even include a more obscure New Luccini, besides, Tilea and Estalia send expeditions to the New World and beyond much more than any other human faction.
  • Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Registered Users Posts: 3,372
    RikRiorik said:

The one problem I have from a gameplay point of view is poor Teclis. Guy already had it rough, but now there is a major faction inhabiting the land he cant use just his home turf. Used to be youd leave it alone and it would just kinda stay empty until skrolk did something with it. Now hes always going to have the TK knocking on his door.

I must be misremembering. I thought it was occupied by Lizards. Maybe it is because they were settled by Lizard's during my playthrough? I ended up razing the living balls out of it until I myself could spare the manpower to do something with it though. No reason one couldn't do the same with Khalida Hfuhruhurr and her minions.
    The lizards only occupy a single minor settlement on the edge. Typically you raze it and go on about your business. This is important because everyone North of Teclis are bloodcrazy psychopaths. Teclis can't afford two armies. Bouncing back and forth from your north and south border will at best halt expansion.

You dont have time to march all the way to Khalidas home, siege it, burn it, and get back before the skaven-dark elf coalition sets turtle island on fire. Im thinking influence system and hope Khalida is friendly.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 1,989

RikRiorik said:

The lizards only occupy a single minor settlement on the edge. Typically you raze it and go on about your business. This is important because everyone North of Teclis are bloodcrazy psychopaths. Teclis can't afford two armies. Bouncing back and forth from your north and south border will at best halt expansion.

You dont have time to march all the way to Khalidas home, siege it, burn it, and get back before the skaven-dark elf coalition sets turtle island on fire. Im thinking influence system and hope Khalida is friendly.
    I sincerely hope making an alliance with Khalida is possible as well.

RikRiorik said:

I certainly remember my one Teclis campaign in the Vortex being the most pingponging of armies between settlements that I've ever encountered trying to defend and protect. So far it has easily been my most intense and fun campaign in the game to date. And I'm not even really fond of the High Elves.