Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The new Light FX/Shading for TWW2, Messes up Old world models, and custom textures.

RamyamRamyam Registered Users Posts: 22
edited November 2017 in Performance & Graphics
Some models end up looking a bit white washed, Others a bit darker since less reflection on armour, and then some just have too much bloom effect on their skin because of the new lighting effect.

and biggest problem overall is for most Custom Textures mods introduce, Sure that ain't baseline game problem, but game is supposed to support modding community and this doesn't help.

So I hope this gets added to the list of things to fix for ME campaign!

Mortal Empires are what people really longed for! but unless things like this, and a few other stuff that others have mentioned are fixed, it'll most likely be on hold for MANY people..

I probly wont buy any upcomming DLCs and so on untill this is fixed, since I want to play ME campaign not the standard TWW2 campaign, but things like this discourage me from playing.

otherwise real nice with free ME campaign and all!
Post edited by Ramyam on

Comments

• DKMDKM Registered Users Posts: 3
    Yeah I noticed the lighting and textures in Warhammer II looks much worse compared to Warhammer I. Hopefully we get someone to at least recognize the problem.
  • Red_GeneralRed_General Member Registered Users Posts: 181
    Despite its bells and whistles its clearly a step back graphically for this series!
  • RamyamRamyam Registered Users Posts: 22
    I do hope this can get a fix eventually some way. but I fear this problem wont be prioritised at all :(
    edited October 2017
    I uploaded a different picture compilation that shows less of a single mod, and more of vanilla textures on models.

And those kholek pictures are taken in the same light btw (bright day light and no cloud cover), thats the lighting difference between warhammer 1/2.
  • JustinbotJustinbot Registered Users Posts: 9
    Yes please CA could we get some feedback on this? The lighting effects look great on the campaign map but in battles it looks worse when compared to the first game. I noticed something was off the first time I played TWW2. Thought I could get used to it but I can't help but think the game looked better previously. Something obviously changed.

I know this isn't a bug but there has to be someone who can let us know if a fix is possible. Thank you!
  • GigiauzGigiauz Registered Users Posts: 88
    I agree. Actually I'm working on skaven retextures mod and I've discovered that vanilla textures are glitched and bugged. Using a .pack file with pre-update vanilla textures the problem is gone. So this is a textures problem.
    There is also a problem with lights, in fact battlemap lightnening is very ugly, the colour are too much warm and do not reflect pre-update standards.
    Be aware CA... this is a serious problem that compromises the title... I have difficulties to work/play the game with those visual/graphics issues.
    Gigiauz said:

I agree. Actually I'm working on skaven retextures mod and I've discovered that vanilla textures are glitched and bugged. Using a .pack file with pre-update vanilla textures the problem is gone. So this is a textures problem.
    There is also a problem with lights, in fact battlemap lightnening is very ugly, the colour are too much warm and do not reflect pre-update standards.
    Be aware CA... this is a serious problem that compromises the title... I have difficulties to work/play the game with those visual/graphics issues.

hm please expand exactly what you mean, or perhaps just repeat the same in another way. I think you lost me a bit, could also be my dyslexia.

I guess you kinda mean this but not sure. there are updated textures from Tww1 vs Tww2 of the old world models, and it might be part of the problem, I don't know, it's wierd atleast, and I dont understand why they changed this?!?!

• whysofuriouswhysofurious Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited October 2017
    Exactly, me and Ramyam have take a look at some textures, specifically those of some vampires. And there is indeed something strange with the textures, something were modified and i'm okay with that, but some other textures (not all of them) have just this "foggy" layer (something with the gamma?) on them.
    Btw Gigiauz you mean that using old textures solve the issue? that means that for custom units we should remake all the rigidmodels to point to old textures (for those bugged) lol

Examples: Blood Knights Torso Diffuse and Specular comparison

Female Vampire Torso Diffuse and Specular comparison

Post edited by whysofurious on
  • GigiauzGigiauz Registered Users Posts: 88
    edited October 2017
    Well,
    Even if the skaven clanrats textures seems to be the same opening with PS , there is a weird problem when playing a battle. The problem is not a singularity, since my brother and me (two different computers) have the same issue. Below a comparison image, so you can see directly what I mean.

@whysofurious: you don't need to remake all rigid models, I hope CA will solve this problem. If they don't the solution is easy, making a .pack file (mod) with old textures. If textures name is changed you will apply new textures name on old ones. No rigid or ws model editing is needed.
    edited October 2017
    @Gigiauz well not really just as easy as using old textures, because when you do the problem gets even worse, probly because of the new light system, it's probly because of the new light system they remade some textures or something, just that they didn't really think it through enough probly, and messed it up a bit.

for example my vampire mod uses edited textures from the old textures in Tww1, and in the new light system they look super white washed and crap. (basically both uses the same textures, so it's just the light system that makes the difference between the old and the new picture)

• ThaneMurthor12ThaneMurthor12 Registered Users Posts: 490
    edited October 2017
    I have similar issues regarding textures as well, Dwarven units have their gold trim looking faded rather than lustrous. In Warhammer 1 the gold was really pronounced and great looking, now they look faded and ugly looking. Ill link pictures to show the differences.

Khazukan Kazakit-ha!

"In the centuries I have been the High King, our enemies have thought us weak, cowards hiding in the deepest, darkest places. Heh, fools! Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, etched in blood! Clan Gurnisson! Karak Eight-Peaks! Josef Bugman! The Urks must pay, Let them come..."

"One wrong put right, yet the Great Book of Grudges...remains full..."

- High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer.

edited November 2017
    I read this post aswell and it's semi linked to this one, it has more to do specifically with shading, but it's part of the problem models experience aswell, especially those whitewashed models probly and so on.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/203906/shading-downgrade-in-warhammer-ii#latest

here are the pictures between Tww1 and Tww2, and how the Shading is missing and causing them to look rather FAKE, less realistic so to say, and rather plastic.

The first picture makes them look awefull, unrealistic and cartoony, and it taken in Tww2
    The second picture is from Tww1, and it makes them look alot more photo realistic, and looks so good!
    So my question is.. what the hell made them decide to change this?
  • NameAlreadyExistsNameAlreadyExists Registered Users Posts: 225
    Just saw the tomb king trailer and were reminded of this thread.

Hope, i read something in the upcoming patch notes about that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file