Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Must know! Will there be family trees?

CnConradCnConrad Senior MemberPosts: 3,130Registered Users
edited November 2017 in General Discussion
I have been watching the last Kingdom lately and have really enjoyed the roll family plays in the history (not historically accurate) of the show.

Danes must war with other Danes for their family name Saxton's are adopted by Danesto become part of their family tree.

Heirs are killed marriages made for alliances and lines of succession are very important.

I'm hoping since you guys are mostly Brits and the who monarchy is still kind of a thing over there you won't let me down on family trees.

Perhaps since it is focused it will have more political features than Atilla.

Your unit details and combat are going to be great I'm sure.

Comments

• JowenJowen Junior Member Posts: 381Registered Users
    Very likely. Because, again, the game is build upon Attila, so features that are easy and meaningful to carryover, will be.
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 3,130Registered Users
    Jowen said:

Very likely. Because, again, the game is build upon Attila, so features that are easy and meaningful to carryover, will be.

I certainly hope so. Like I said it may only be my $40± bucks but building my own Danish or British Dynasty will be a must have.
  • the_real_weedthe_real_weed Member Posts: 240Registered Users
  • GrantdemGrantdem Member Posts: 121Registered Users
    Charlemagne had family trees, and it's set in a similar time frame.
    Plus Rome 2 was absolutely slated for not having family trees.
    I would assume the more focussed time frame, and 200 Year time span (roughly) would lend to having family trees.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 10,216Registered Users
    Jowen said:

Over such a brief time-period that could at (absolute) best cover 3 generations?

I'm not sure it'd even be that interesting.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIPosts: 7,162Registered Users

Jowen said:

Over such a brief time-period that could at (absolute) best cover 3 generations?

878-1066? Damn near 200 years. That's about 8-10 generations.
    Thrones of Britannia: 69/100
    Warhammer II: 73/100
    Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100 [Age of Charlemagne: 72/100]
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100 [Fall of the Samurai: 95/100]
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100 [Kingdoms: 90/100]
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100
  • DreadedNorwegianDreadedNorwegian Senior Member Posts: 1,176Registered Users
    I`m 99% sure it will, since it`s based on the Attila engine and the premise of the game is to establish yourself as the ruling king and monrach, and securing your dynasty is an important part of that.
    Enig og tro til Dovre faller!
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 10,216Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    MrJade said:

Jowen said:

The campaign is running to 1066? I missed that memo my bad.

Edit: Wouldn't it be AWESOME if they did a final quest battle warhammer style to win the battle of Hastings?! :open_mouth:
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • GrantdemGrantdem Member Posts: 121Registered Users

MrJade said:

Jowen said:

I'm not s

I think it mentioned 1066 on the FAQ as when the technology runs until, or something of that ilk.
  • JowenJowen Junior Member Posts: 381Registered Users

Jowen said:

There were family trees in Fall of the Samurai as well, and the time covered in that game was even shorter.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,905Registered Users
    I don't think them having content lasting until 1066 means the game will last until 1066. I think they are just saying that the units at max will go up to how they would have looked in 1066 starting from 878, and that there will still be just 4tpy. Sort of like how as Rome you could have Imperial Segmentatum legionaiires and Praetorians in the middle of the 2nd century BC, potentially much earlier. COULD your campaign go up to 1066? Sure, but I imagine it will still be 4TPY and as such probably most will end their campaign around 920-950 AD. Still enough time for a dynasty to form though, of course.

Also, them mentioning 1066, get hype for William the conqueror expansion! Saxons vs Norway vs Normandy vs one of the Irish factions vs Scotland vs a welsh faction HYPE!

MrJade said:

Jowen said:

Edit: Wouldn't it be AWESOME if they did a final quest battle warhammer style to win the battle of Hastings?! :open_mouth:
    Personally I think they will somehow make Cnut the Great as the endgame doom threat of this game. I would love to play without his influence and just see how the game plays out honestly but just going off the general trend I find this likely. Perhaps when playing as a Dane faction rather than being attacked by your fellow Danes in the form of Cnut you instead get a French army of heavy cavalry and stuff sent to aid Christian England or something.

• KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 2,009Registered Users
    Vikings? Campaign Politics?
    Is CA in my head?! lol

Can't wait for more information.
  • KregenKregen Member Posts: 484Registered Users
    I real hope this is in as I like it, but I think it’s missing a few points of functionality. It would be nice if I could marry my daughters off to important noblemen in my kingdom as a way of strengthening loyalty through family ties. There was also a culture of fostering adalecent sons to other noblemen so they could be trained and taught what they needed to know in latter life , it would be nice to see this. Lines of succession are also missing, by which I mean my daughter is married to a foreign prince the prince then inherits the crown of his father. Now the prince dies without an heir Ior my sons have a claim on that throne which can either be offered to me by the nobles of that land or I fight a war to claim it. This same situation was the cause of the Hundred Years’ War between England and France.

I have seen that some think the game to short to make it worth while but consider the Tudors lasted only three generations,Henry VII,Henry VIII and then Henry VIII's children Edward, Mary and Elizabeth. Elizabeth died without an heir so eventually the Scottish Stuart’s where invaded to take the English crown as they where related by marriage.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,624Registered Users
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users
    MrJade said:

Jowen said:

It's not going to 1066. CA have stated time and again that the ideal game length is approximately 200 turns, at 4 TPY this come to about 50 turns.

Content is going to 1066; so e.g. you can have 1066-style units in the endgame, if you choose to research them. But not the actual timespan of the game.
  • riadachriadach Posts: 161Registered Users
    I think it would certainly be interesting for an Irish playthrough. Given tanistry was the succession law in Ireland during this period, rivalries emerged within the ruling dynasty that frequently broke out into successions wars.
  • norseaxenorseaxe Posts: 402Registered Users
    Jack already said there will be family trees I would assume it will be similar to attila