Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

CTD upon launch after TK

reganomicsreganomics Registered Users Posts: 20
after downloading Tomb Kings, TW:W2 just crashes to the desktop after a short black screen. Mods disabled and deleted. validated files through the steam client twice. nvidia drivers up to date as well.

windows 10
Tagged:

Comments

• CaptBeardieCaptBeardie Registered Users Posts: 50
    Same here. Going to try some things, but to mirror OP.

Updated TWW2, no modes enabled, Crash to desktop after intro with Settra Vortex campaign. I'm able to load a custom battle no problem though.
  • CaptBeardieCaptBeardie Registered Users Posts: 50
    Thanks to Brittle from https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/212581/the-game-crashes-during-loading-screens-when-starting-any-campaign-since-tk-update#latest

After deleting all my mods, I found I still have two mod files left.

@improvedarrowtrails(mod).pack
    ati_vfx_gunpowder.pack

I moved them to a new temp folder and now I'm starting a new Vortex campaign!
  • reganomicsreganomics Registered Users Posts: 20
    did a reinstall, revalidate, game continues to crash after a short black screen. modified logs file is empty
  • IcarusFBEIcarusFBE Registered Users Posts: 7
    I'm experiencing the same as the original poster - black screen then crash to desktop shortly after clicking play or continue campaign since downloading the tomb kings update. Doesn't matter if mods are on or off, or if I'm using dx11 or 12.

Heading to work now but will try deleting all mods when I get home later unless someone from CA can suggest another fix?
    IcarusFBE said:

I'm experiencing the same as the original poster - black screen then crash to desktop shortly after clicking play or continue campaign since downloading the tomb kings update. Doesn't matter if mods are on or off, or if I'm using dx11 or 12.

Heading to work now but will try deleting all mods when I get home later unless someone from CA can suggest another fix?

No joy with deleting the mods. I tried everything even down to uninstalling the game, deleting all total War files and folders remaining manually, then re-downloading from scratch and I get the same problem.

On the verge of a fresh windows install anyway, so maybe I should just bring that forward...
    i guess i could try just deleting the data folder completely and revalidate files as a nuclear option, would this just screw everything up further?
    i have performed every iteration of manually deleting files and folders and through the steam client and reinstalling and validating. modified.log is still blank. i have read of some 'prefrences script' but never seen anything posted to that effect. if there is anything else that can help solve the problem short of rolling back the most recent windows update, which was pushed to my computer the day of the patch, i would love to try it. i know im in the minority of users experiencing problems but its almost been a week of not being able to even start the game.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 37,376

i have performed every iteration of manually deleting files and folders and through the steam client and reinstalling and validating. modified.log is still blank. i have read of some 'prefrences script' but never seen anything posted to that effect. if there is anything else that can help solve the problem short of rolling back the most recent windows update, which was pushed to my computer the day of the patch, i would love to try it. i know im in the minority of users experiencing problems but its almost been a week of not being able to even start the game.

Re: the preferences.script https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/1923764/#Comment_1923764

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
    I did a clean install of Windows to version 1703 (pre fall creators update) and also put on an earlier Nvidia driver (388.something) and it's now working!

Check the graphics driver first, that'd be easier, and if that doesn't fix it try rolling back the fall creators update.

And before someone pipes up with "it was probably a fresh install of TWWH2 that fixed it", I tried that, the preferences script, manually removing mods, deleting the contents of the data file, everything! I trawled these forums (and others) for days trying everything that anyone suggested and didn't get anywhere. The fresh install of Windows was my last grasp at getting it working, and o just wanted to report that's what fixed it for me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file