Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Chinese community and Grand Cathay

baronblackbaronblack Posts: 3,093Registered Users
edited January 2018 in General Discussion

Here at CA HQ, during a visit from the Chinese Total War Community representatives, a strange banner was gifted to CA developers.

Many answers regarding 3K were given, but, one thing that made me smile, was the banner and the map.

"If you dare to do DLC, we dare to buy it". That's the translation.

Well, I have to say, it's not only the Chinese community. Every TT player knew the Tower of Ashair diorama. It's a dream for everyone to have Cathay.
I was so skeptical at the beginning of the Warhammer adventure regarding the long forgotten minor factions. But now, CA raised our hopes.

I hope that CA read this and get the message. European, American, Antartican communities wants more too, do not worry, go on, CA!

Give us the chance to clash the Reiksguard against Terracotta Automatons, Bretonnians fighting along Arabyans against Arkhan undead hordes. The Tomb Kings were just perfect (well, there are typos in the italian version)

#makewarhammergreatagain

Comments

• Wtfah114Wtfah114 Posts: 93Registered Users
    It says give us more dlc, and we'll buy it. The banner makes no mention of cathay whatsoever. If you are going to make a post about something, please have the correct information before posting.
  • corvocorvo Junior Member SpainPosts: 2,879Registered Users
    uhm, it seems that the cathay DLC is getting strong
    Team Skavens

"Brother Skavens! Consider this... Until the coming of Vermek Skab, the Council of Thirteen placed me in command of this army"
    - Grey Seer Thanquol, ruthlessly taking command of the Nuln Invasion force
  • kevManiackevManiac Posts: 391Registered Users
    The map the person on the right is holding, seems to say "Grand Cathay". So I guess that they mean Cathay with "DLC"
  • baronblackbaronblack Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    Oh sorry man, they gifted me these precious screenshots from reddit, I did copy the "translated" text from the user message

Correcting it now.
  • luther84695luther84695 Member Posts: 465Registered Users
    Can it be a DLC though? In lore, it should be a whole new continent. It will prolly be a whole game.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 14,634Registered Users

Can it be a DLC though? In lore, it should be a whole new continent. It will prolly be a whole game.

There's no reason it can't be a core of game 3, if nothing else it would be valuable for the land it provides.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,067Registered Users

Wtfah114 said:

It says give us more dlc, and we'll buy it. The banner makes no mention of cathay whatsoever. If you are going to make a post about something, please have the correct information before posting.

So you just ignored that big "Grand Cathay" map the guy on the right side is holding?
    "Cathay" is what the west used to call RL China, so that means absolutely zilch. GW were exceptionally lazy when it came to the Completely Irrelevant Neighbors.

• Wtfah114Wtfah114 Posts: 93Registered Users

Wtfah114 said:

So you just ignored that big "Grand Cathay" map the guy on the right side is holding?
    Doesn't change the fact the banner made no mention of cathay while the original post claimed it did.
  • luther84695luther84695 Member Posts: 465Registered Users
    you guys are blind. this is clearly a campaign for "cathay DLC". Just look closely at the English words in the map on the right. The dots should be easy to connect.
    Wtfah114 said:

Wtfah114 said:

Doesn't change the fact the banner made no mention of cathay while the original post claimed it did.
    Well I corrected it. You were right and I have to punish my friend with some nasty memes.
    ... however that map on the right does not mean "halflings"
  • 4uk4ata4uk4ata Posts: 895Registered Users

Wtfah114 said:

"Cathay" is what the west used to call RL China, so that means absolutely zilch. GW were exceptionally lazy when it came to the Completely Irrelevant Neighbors.
    In their defense, they were just some 80s British nerds, they probably didn´t expect to be that successful anyway :D .

Land is Kislev, Kislev is Land! We are Kislev!

Proud Elspeth von Draken partisan
  • IntertriarriiaeIntertriarriiae Posts: 385Registered Users
    Does anyone have a picture of what we are talking about?
    Just tossing in my 2 heresies every once in a while.
    Also, I got a new message. A copy of the map was gifted to GW too.

edited January 2018
    Still means zilch.

People have asked for a playable Middenland for way longer and NOTHING!

• Patrickfinzi0904Patrickfinzi0904 Posts: 383Registered Users
    I will believe it, when i see it.

The OP was a tad inept in his haste to post this news.

Basically a group of Chinese CA fans went to both CA and GW to deliver a really detailed hand-made map of their interpretation of Warhammer's Grand Cathay (not the real life old name of China, WARHAMMER'S Celestial Empire of Cathay) during their visit to check out CA's progress on TW: Three Kingdoms.

Here, I'll give you lot a better picture (right click, open image on another tab for a zoomed-in view):

There's a few bits of the map that appeared on official GW world maps before (the Great Bastion, Nangau, Weijin), Shangyang from the 5th Edition DoW book, Mount Li from the 5th Edition Lizardmen book and Ashshair from Tamurkhan. The big warpstone desert surrounding the Great Maw on the western edge of Cathay is also on the map. The rough locations of the Mountains of Mourn, the Kingdoms of Ind and the Hinterlands of Khuresh are correct.

Compare it to the official GW map:

Overall it looks like the Warhammer Chinese fans did their research and designed their Grand Cathay map to be the most lore-accurate it could be while fleshing it out, using a mix of existing material from GW official lore and their own invented ideas of the rest of the orient.

Here's the video of them presenting it to Al Bickham, who was quite amazed by it:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av18615598/

Yeah, I'm sorry to everyone, but you know, I have a "spy" on reddit because I'm too lazy to do an account.
    So when he started rambling random things and sending pics about a "Cathay desire from chinese community" I was surprised and hyped.

However my message, at least on the last part is different.

• Patrickfinzi0904Patrickfinzi0904 Posts: 383Registered Users
    I hope it happens. But CA have been shady and coy since the release of game 2. Dont trust them what so ever.

I hope it happens. But CA have been shady and coy since the release of game 2. Dont trust them what so ever.

Yeah, they actually abducted Egyptians, flayed them and used them for the TK motion capture.

Cathay is the best choice for a core of game 3.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 2,113Registered Users
    edited January 2018

Still means zilch.

People have asked for a playable Middenland for way longer and NOTHING!

Middenland can at best be a faction for the race called Empire.
    Cathay can be a core race for game#3 or a own race DLC for game#3.
    There is a big difference between the two.

-----Red Dox
  • IzzyStradlinIzzyStradlin Senior Member Karaz BrynPosts: 10,901Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    Ugh, another Cathay thread. I'm one of these people now.

If only they were partially on the map.
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=
    edited January 2018

It's the worst because they are irrelevant. I would not care for a campaign that featured them prominently at all since they never did anything of note in the WH lore other than maaaaybe influencing the Ogre Kingdoms but even that is so vague you lose nothing if you cut them out. From what is there in the lore they are a bunch of Tzeentch worshiping cultists anyway so their lands might as well become Daemon occupied.

Core races #3: Daemons, Chaos Dwarfs, OK and KISLEV! There, done and done.

• Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 2,113Registered Users

So, you already KNOW the game#3 map? Please do leak it.

That's four for core. Missing Preorder as well as at least one race DLC and max. three ;)

-------Red Dox
    Amazons, Halflings, Albion, Kraka Drak.

Done and done again.

• IzzyStradlinIzzyStradlin Senior Member Karaz BrynPosts: 10,901Registered Users
    Red_Dox said:

So, you already KNOW the game#3 map? Please do leak it.

That's four for core. Missing Preorder as well as at least one race DLC and max. three ;)

-------Red Dox
    There's a book called 'Tamurkhan' and several published maps of the wider Warhammer World which do a wonderful job of pointing out that as soon as you cross the Mountains of Mourn, you're not in Cathay. It's an indescribable distance before one even reaches it's most remote western outposts. Good luck getting it with any pretence of adherence to the Lore.

The Fourth race will be either Kislev or the parts of the Warriors of Chaos which we do not yet have.
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=

We don't know Game 3's map yet. We've got an idea what the mega campaign will look like, but it's easy enough to fit them in there.
  • Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative Assembly Posts: 854Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team
    The Cathay and the DLC banner were gifts from the Chinese fans (as Cathay is the WH equivalent of China). They're not made or officially endorsed by us and nothing to do with our future DLC plans.
  • BiesBies Junior Member Posts: 1,552Registered Users
    Okey so its time for us amazon supporters to deliver map about grand empire of amazons :p
    GW started with AoS and dont care about adding more lore for far far east

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."