Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Is is just me or is this game a grab-bag of...

CnConradCnConrad Senior MemberPosts: 3,130Registered Users
our hopes and wishes for historical titles?

This game really seems to have everything. Reading the features is like reading a laundry list of what I wish would be in a historical total war game.

Family tree ✓
No agent spam ✓
Multiple ways to win, go tall, go wide, go historically ✓
Indepth upgradable characters ✓
Real Sieges ✓
More diplomatic options ±✓ could have had more.
Realistic recruitment based on kingdom size✓
Multiple small armies rather than doomstacks✓
Supply lines✓
More advanced economy✓
Global recruitment and mustering✓
Pay enemies or be paid by enemies to leave✓

There still is much that could be a let down like insanely fast battles or AI that gets to ignore all the cool features that were added, but I really am feeling good about this title.

I am very interested in hearing more details about the minor settlements.

Comments

• ShermanSherman Member Posts: 880Registered Users

We can say that with the "financial security" given by the major titles, they can experiment with Saga Titles, and try feature and even "flop" to test how people react with different mechanics.

For me the greatest proof it's the simple fact that we have these historical names no one know how to pronunce.
  • norseaxenorseaxe Posts: 402Registered Users
    It's not just you I feel the same way to I like most of the stuff I'm seeing so far but some points disappoint me but I've already discussed those points already
  • Vestri_UlfdyrVestri_Ulfdyr Posts: 36Registered Users
    edited February 2018
    I do feel as though ToB is more an experimental-orientated game for CA.

Don't get me wrong, i'm absoloutely hyped for the game and can't wait to play it! It's my favourite time period in English history.

At the same times they needed to give us a new historical title considering we've had plenty of Warhammer stuff over the past few years. We know the new major historical title is Three Kingdoms but much of the TW player base is Western Europe/North America and can relate more-so to European history, despite the fact that there are Europeans who enjoy Asian history which is fine of course.

Also, the next major demanded title was Medieval 3 and CA have said a third installment for any particular time period isn't happening anytime soon and so to meet us halfway, we have the later end of the Dark ages where the medieval period was beginning.

Also the hype around ToB would also have influence from two big TV Series, Vikings and The Last Kingdom which will probably draw in some new players as not only can they visualy see the period of history but they now get to play it and carve out their own.

They can probably afford to trial and test new features whilst removing old mechanics. The finances are likely supported by Warhammer's success and the current TV trends plus the fact that Historical fans really wanting some more Historical games.

I think Thrones of Britannia was the perfect period for CA in every way to choose for a next game, and the beginning of their saga games.
  • MolleMolleBillYallMolleMolleBillYall Posts: 55Registered Users
    I welcome them playing with the formula. It was starting to feel repetitive and like it wasn't refining. Now it seems like they're making smarter decisions and taking creative risks.
    Great stuff.
  • norseaxenorseaxe Posts: 402Registered Users
    Yeah you can tell they are experimenting with this game but that's what they get paid for and I think they are doing a great job so far I hope they add more stuff before release but it's in alpha stages now
  • VessingerVessinger Senior Member Posts: 936Registered Users
    I actually liked agents, they were quite useful. I would have rather they just toned down the AI's use of them rather than doing away with them entirely.
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Posts: 2,591Registered Users
    In Lusty Jack I trust. He knows what’s up.
    ò_ó
  • mw51630mw51630 Member Posts: 1,593Registered Users
    It's funny, I remember watching the gameplay and thinking, "Legend of Total War is going to love this!"

But yeah, this game really seems to go deep rather than wide.
  • Frederick_WilliamFrederick_William Senior Member Posts: 779Registered Users
    Vessinger said:

I actually liked agents, they were quite useful. I would have rather they just toned down the AI's use of them rather than doing away with them entirely.

i will admit that the removal of agents is meh to me. will have to see how it goes.

with that being said, just tuning the agent actions down doesn't change much. you can/will have a crap ton of factions all sending their agents at you dragging the turn times out.(and being annoying) Even in attila, where the recruitment and the possible agent actions when they are new restrict them, you still get a lot of them.

of course we have the WH series where agent spam is taken to a whole new level. Luckily the AI tends to put them in armies to limit how many are roaming around being annoying.

i would hope, if there are agents in future TW titles, they allow you to speed up their actions rather than watch them in slow mo doing an action.( i believe they did this for WH)
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 10,134Registered Users
    I hope with the new recruitment system it doesn't take you 7 turns to get a unit to full strength when it only takes the AI 2 because of AI buffs.

Instead of feeling flavourful it would feel like a player handicap.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • EldrickEldrick Posts: 392Registered Users
    I’m sold. CA have my pre-order purchase.

The features look interesting, with multiple choices, and a depth to them that I am looking forward to explore.

But as they say, the proof of the pudding is in its eating.
  • LeverkinLeverkin Posts: 38Registered Users
    Eldrick said:

The features look interesting, with multiple choices, and a depth to them that I am looking forward to explore.

Indeed. New features sound great. Everything about the game looks very promising.

At this point I only worry about campaign AI performance. I know AI behavior is tied to leader traits, so not all factions will be aggressive and prone to expand, but near late game I want to see at least a few strong AI kingdoms.

And above all, if it has a decent chance to win, AI must not refuse a fight!
  • HrafnHrafn Posts: 305Registered Users
    I just really hope we don't have campaign time limits. If a player wants to turtle that should be their choice.

Just finished a Rise of the Samurai campaign in Shogun 2, and it reminded me how much I hate those turn limits.
  • VeniVediWikiVeniVediWiki Junior Member Posts: 34Registered Users
    edited February 2018
    Eldrick said:

I will definitively eat this pudding.

To OP : no, it's not just you. There are ideas in there I remember already from another time and another TW fan site. It seems that CA do actually listen to its community. Yes, maybe, it's the success of last titles which gave them confidence to do so.
    I m really hyped by the new province system. Looks like it takes the best of S2/FOTS's and of R2's systems. I hope it will provide less sieges battles, but much more field battles, and bring back some proper raiding !

Quick thoughts about agents : TWH got me used to have them fighting in battles. And I was ok with agents pre-R2TW. Some players seems to have a problem with the idea of one agent alone blocking a whole army, etc... But I always saw agents as the abstraction for a large group of people ; you can easily imagine they are at the head of a network, or an armed group of irregulars. And it's actually a good way to simulate the action of vanguard agents and spy network, etc...
    Of course since it's not TWH you can't have a one man army hero fighting alone but why not have them fighting with a retinu on their side. Like the genral...
    Post edited by VeniVediWiki on
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,357Registered Users
    Hell yeah. AND UNIQUE VOICES FOR FACTION SOLDIERS ARE CONFIRMED! THAT'S AWESOME
  • Frederick_WilliamFrederick_William Senior Member Posts: 779Registered Users

Eldrick said:

I will definitively eat this pudding.

To OP : no, it's not just you. There are ideas in there I remember already from another time and another TW fan site. It seems that CA do actually listen to its community. Yes, maybe, it's the success of last titles which gave them confidence to do so.
    I m really hyped by the new province system. Looks like it takes the best of S2/FOTS's and of R2's systems. I hope it will provide less sieges battles, but much more field battles, and bring back some proper raiding !
    TBH, i always hoped they would take a combo of Empire and Rome 2 when it came to campaign growth.

what do i mean? well, in empire, you would grow new towns as the game went on thanks to growth from food. they weren't full cities, but still made the map grow with more towns as the game went on.(more things to fight over outside of cities)

in rome 2+, cities themselves would grow with more growth.(funnily enough, not tied to food really outside of global food)

So, what i would like to see in some future TW game would be you get to decide if you want your smaller towns to grow, or focus on growing your main cities. Each has trade offs. what those would be would depend on the setting of the game and whatever CA comes up with that is fun.
  • ShermanSherman Member Posts: 880Registered Users
    Hrafn said:

I just really hope we don't have campaign time limits. If a player wants to turtle that should be their choice.

Just finished a Rise of the Samurai campaign in Shogun 2, and it reminded me how much I hate those turn limits.

Agree, any confirm by Jack?
  • mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,227Moderators
    Sherman said:

Hrafn said:

Agree, any confirm by Jack?
    In Rome 2 and Attila there wasn't a time limit to the campaign. Some missions yes, but not the campaign. So I would be surprised if campaign time limits came back in.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
  • riadachriadach Posts: 161Registered Users
    I like that the battle map is based on the campaign map. That's a big one for me and something I've missed since M2TW.
  • wingren013wingren013 Posts: 873Registered Users
    That was every TW since then except for Warhammer.
  • riadachriadach Posts: 161Registered Users

That was every TW since then except for Warhammer.

Not Empire or Napoleon.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,259Registered Users
    The question is not of all this stuff being in the game but whether it's actually organic or just amounts to busywork piled on top.
  • walterkanewalterkane Senior Member Posts: 449Registered Users
    Completely agree and don't forget about war weariness.

The only feature I'm disappointed with so far is their pseudo population system. Wish they would have gone more towards populous
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 3,130Registered Users

Completely agree and don't forget about war weariness.

The only feature I'm disappointed with so far is their pseudo population system. Wish they would have gone more towards populous

I would love actual population, but this is a step in the right direction.

A real population would make wars so different.