Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Mods are causing total war warhammer to crash for some reason

Emrhys42Emrhys42 Registered Users Posts: 6
As the title says, mods are causing my copy of TW Warhammer to crash, except when they're disabled. I only know that this started happening some time after TW Warhammer 2 launched, and this was never a problem up until then. I can't shake this feeling that TWW 2 is connected to this somehow.

Comments

• Emrhys42Emrhys42 Registered Users Posts: 6
    I know mods are not necessary to play this game, but good help will be appreciated.
  • BillyRuffian#6250BillyRuffian#6250 Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 40,865
    Is it all mods or just particular ones?

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
    It appears to be all mods.
  • steam_164191850448yoMgfCpsteam_164191850448yoMgfCp Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,157
    are you by any chance running in directx 12 mode when I did that on WH1 I had the same problem as you

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • sothronsothron Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 71
    edited December 2017
    This is all mods for me as well. Every time I try to load a campaign I get the "total warhammer 2 has experienced a problem and is shutting down" error. I am on DX11 mode. It was working fine until the recent game update.

I deleted all mods and it still crashes on all previous campaigns that had the mods.

How can I get this to work?
  • DerpyRoxasDerpyRoxas Registered Users Posts: 3,348
    For me too, the campaign is fine but everytime I go to battle the game crashes
  • steam_164191850448yoMgfCpsteam_164191850448yoMgfCp Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,157

For me too, the campaign is fine but everytime I go to battle the game crashes

running on directx 12?

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

edited December 2017
    No, I wasn't running this in DX 12 when this happened. But speaking of which, the start up menu and the graphics options say that DirectX 12 is in beta. Anyone have any idea what that's all about.
    Post edited by Emrhys42 on
  • AdamYahyaAdamYahya Senior Member Kuala LumpurRegistered Users Posts: 3,318
    sothron said:

This is all mods for me as well. Every time I try to load a campaign I get the "total warhammer 2 has experienced a problem and is shutting down" error. I am on DX11 mode. It was working fine until the recent game update.

I deleted all mods and it still crashes on all previous campaigns that had the mods.

You cant load a save game that uses mods before especially mods that changes campaign features.

Crashes when using multioke mods may due to conflict between some mods or maybe even caused by 1 mod which has not been updated.

Emrhys42 said:

No, I wasn't running this in DX 12 when this happened. But speaking of which, the start up menu and the graphics options say that DirectX 12 is in beta. Anyone have any idea what that's all about.

that directx12 isn't finished yet and is thius in beta

snip

• IntertriarriiaeIntertriarriiae Registered Users Posts: 396
    It can be a few things

1 your mods are outdated

2 you are loading up a save that uses mods you aren't using anymore

3 mods are interfering with eachother

4 sometimes mods can work properly on startup but crash when you load in a battle, it means someone made a tiny little mistake somewhere while creating the mod. As a modder myself these are usually solved very quickly.

5 something bugged out or got corrupted. You might need to reinstall if this is the case. You can also try verifying game files and unsubbing and resubbing all your mods.
    Just tossing in my 2 heresies every once in a while.
  • Ben1990#8909Ben1990#8909 Registered Users Posts: 2,883
    My case happened after some time after the Rise of The Tomb Kings DLC. Even after I installed the DLC, mods worked normally, but when I returned in February, TWWII would crash at start if I had more than 3 mods running. Tell me that CA did something that screwed with the game's stability.
  • endurstonehelm#6102endurstonehelm#6102 Registered Users Posts: 4,206
    edited February 2018
    The best approach is to make a list of the set of mods that each save game is using. Then make sure you have the appropriate mods active (and no extra ones) when you load the save game.

The number of mods shouldn't matter, so long as you don't have mods that conflict with each other. The more mods you have, the more likely that there may be conflicts.

Also, with respect to the original poster, TWW2 should not impact TWW1 mods.

• Walkabout#1505Walkabout#1505 Member In a houseRegistered Users Posts: 2,981
    LestaT said:

sothron said:

You cant load a save game that uses mods before especially mods that changes campaign features.

Crashes when using multioke mods may due to conflict between some mods or maybe even caused by 1 mod which has not been updated.

Yep what LestaT said. Most of the time you can’t load old saves with required mods not loaded. Also sometimes even after the required mids r updated, old saves won’t Work. Basically it is an opportunity to rationalise your mods and try a new campaign. Sorry.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • Walkabout#1505Walkabout#1505 Member In a houseRegistered Users Posts: 2,981
    Oh yeah basically I cleaned up my data folder deleting old mods and started afresh.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall